Diligent | alessia russo

Autorstwa flobelova

"Alessia, what can you tell us about your new teammate?" "Y/n is an incredibly skillful player. She's a dilig... Więcej

Prologue
Middle school
Try outs
College and meetings
Thin ice
World cup
Welcome to the..
Team bonding
She...believes
New signing
Invites
Crucial mistake
Williamson birthday bash
Aftermath

Scouts

2.1K 60 3
Autorstwa flobelova

"Okay, ladies. Welcome to your first match of the season. We'll be playing against chillum high. If you don't already know, for my non senior varsity players, they're our biggest rival. And the biggest threat."

In my first year of high school I was put onto junior varsity. I'm now in my second year and I'm playing for varsity. Huge achievement, I guess.

Not as big as playing for the u-17 national team, though.

"For my seniors, I hear there's gonna be scouts." Our coach, coach callihan said with a smirk inching its way on her face.

The senior girls cheered and clapped.

"Yeah, buddy! Who's gettting a d1 offer this year?!"

One of my teammates, Callie, enthusiastically yelled out.

"Remember. Scouts will be looking for your ability in tight areas, vision, touch, communication, basically everything. Play the best you can. Good-luck."

"T- minus 5 minutes to be out on the pitch, ladies!"

I quickly grabbed my bag with my kit, cleats and shin guard, compression shorts and made my way towards the bathroom.

"Hey. Why do you always go to the bathroom to change?"

My teammate, Mia, questioned as she stuffed her shin guards in her socks.

"I, um, I'm just not comfortable changing in front of people."

"Fair enough. But, hey, we're all girls. We've all seen boobs before." She said with a small laugh.

"Yeah, I just-"

"She's just not comfortable showing her body in front of other people. Why are you pressing about it?"

"Geez, Melissa, it was just a question."

"And you got an answer. No need to keep pushing it, Mia." Melissa gritted out, glaring at the other girl.

Mia raised her hands in defense with her eyebrows raised, "All right. My fault."

"You alright?" Melissa asked, a worried expression taking over.

"Yeah. Fine. Thank you."

"No need for that. I know you're not one to say many words, nor are you good with confrontations."

I let out a small laugh with a shake of my head, pulling my shirt over my head when I saw a lot of the girls had already went onto the pitch.

"No. I'm not."

"Why are you even in the locker room right now? I thought JV played at 5?"

"I told you, I'll fight people on the pitch and in the stands. Since we're not on the same team anymore, the stands will have to feel the wrath. Plus, I'm keeping an eye on scouts for you. Trust, I will be pointing you out when I spot them."

"Thanks, Mel. But I don't think scouts are here for me. Pretty sure they're going for seniors headed for college."

"Oh, trust. When they see you they'll be begging for you to join their college in 2 years time."

"Let's go ladies! Game time!" We turned to the voice of our coach who clapped and ushered everyone out the locker room.

"Guzman! Your game ended an hour ago. Why are you still in the locker room?"

The coach asked as the two of us walked passed her, headed towards the exit.

"Moral support, coach!" She yelled back.

As I made my way to the pitch I did some stretches, allowing my body to loosen up a bit.

"Good luck, babe." Melissa whispered innocently before placing a kiss on my cheek, then patting where she kissed harshly.

"Okay, girls. I'm going to switch it up a bit, okay? I wanna see how well you do in these positions based on how I think you play. If things go south, I'll revert you back to your original position during the second half."

"Amara jones: goalkeeper. Amara Locke, Marshall, rhoades, and Tyrell: midfield. Bellamy, Rodriguez, Crystal: defense. Ryder I want you on right wing, heaps you take left. And finally Bellamy as striker."

A lot of the girls, including me, looked at each other warily. Uncertain how we'd do in our new positions, especially with scout recruitments being on the line.

"You wanna complain? Go ahead and run suicides for me." No one spoke a word as the coach raised her eyebrow at us. "No? Then get in position!"

I got into my winger spot as the ref blew the whistle for us to kick off. My striker passed back to midfield who passed it back to defense.

"Make the run!"

My teammate, Rodriguez, yelled out. Midfield and i began running when I noticed the players stop their movements. They were going for an offside trap.

"Calvary!" I yelled out. It was a code word I had created for my team. It either meant hold down the ball until our team pushed up or if we needed to pull back.

Thankfully the girls had quick reactions. The ones who pushed forwards bounced back.

Once the word left my mouth, Rodriguez swung her foot onto the ball, though she only rolled it over to the side.

Completely catching the midfield and defenders off guard, they turned to where they thought the ball would be soaring from.

When the ball got close to her left foot, she took a shot. The ball flew over the defenders head and i made my run.

The crowd began cheering as offense pushed. The ball was falling over me and I leaped into the air, sticking my foot to cushion the ball.

My touch not once failing me as it stopped perfectly in front of me, enough space for me to make a run.

I sprinted at max speed, racing on the side  towards the edge. Every couple of seconds I looked to my left, observing to see who was open for a safe option.

Since I saw no one open, I waved a hand towards the goal post, signaling for them to run towards the box.

I observed behind me and saw that a defender caught up so I raised a hand and pushed her away from me.

"Cross!" I yelled out, warning my teammates to be prepared.

When another defender came to press me I ran out of choices. I planted my left foot next to the ball and my right foot swung.

The ball curved perfectly around and over the defender that was pressing me, but a defender in the box got in the way. The ball hitting her square in the face.

I heard the crowd let out 'oohs' and I winced.

I quickly ran to the girl and crouched down in front of her.

She panted and stared up into the sky.

"Are you okay? I'm so sorry."

The girl groaned and sat up. I stood up and offered a hand for her to take. She gladly took it and stood up slowly.

"Are you good? You seem... follow my finger."

The girl nodded slowly and I waved a finger left and right, the girl following slowly. I then moved it up and down. I gave her a thumbs up and we all ran back to position.

"God damn. I'm gonna have a killer headache later, I know it."

The game went on with the other team getting defensive. Our midfield couldn't find good passes. Our striker lost the ball multiple times causing terrible counter attacks leaving us at 2-nil.

After the first 45 minutes the whistle blew and we went back into the locker room.

"Alright team, listen up. We may be down 2-0 but that doesn't mean it's over. This is partially my fault for experimenting positions with a tough team. We're going back to your regulars. We've trained for this, we've prepared for this. Let's push harder, run faster, work together like never before. Remember, it's not about the score, it's about the effort we put in. I know my girls have the skill and heart to do this. So let's go back out there and leave it on the field."

"Huddle up!" Our captain, Crystal, yelled out.

"1,2,3. Team!"

We ran back onto the field and I was put back into midfield. Our striker swapped with the winger. And 2 defenders and midfield swapped.

"Let's go!"

The striker, heaps, passed back to me. I quickly passed it back to someone behind me. I pushed forwards in between some defenders.

I observed my surrounding and saw the winger, Bellamy, making a run.

I checked in forward and put my hands in front of me. "Ball!"

The defender played a hard pass. I used my left foot, dragging it to the side a little and hitting it with my back heel.

The defender that was behind me had her foot separated, as she attempted to find where I was going next.

The ball slipped between her feet and towards the winger. I quickly turned around and ran forward.

"Shoot!" I yelled out.

Once the ball got close to her feet she swung. The keeper got close to the ground with her arms spread as she inched closer.

Bellamy hit the lower part of the ball. She chipped it over the keeper and I stopped running. My breath stopped for a second as I watched it fly in the air.

I didn't think it was gonna come down in time but fortunately it did. The crowd erupting loudly when it went in.

"Yeah! Let's go!" I yelled with my arms out. Bellamy running towards me and jumping straight into my arms.

"What a fucking assist! My god. How did you meg her?"

I laughed and set her down. Running back to where I should be. The game continued with the opposition pressing even more, not allowing us many chances.

We tried doing tiki-taka. The opposition following the balls every move. When the ball got to me I sprinted forward.

A defender that was coming up to me put herself in a position to see my next move. Her body twisted to the side.

I used my right foot and slide it over the top. When it rolled, I used the same foot on the inside to cut it to the left.

The defender went right as I went left. Sprinting forward, I realized I wouldn't get through.

"Cavalry!" I heard the voice of Amara Locke yell. She had the strongest kick of all of us. I went at a slow pace, pushing forward.

The defender in front of me tried stepping for the ball but I kicked it slightly to the left. Glancing back I saw Locke finally reached me.

I brought my foot and back heeled it towards her. The kick causing it to bounce a little and Amara brought her foot towards it.

The ball rocketed towards the top right corner. All that was heard was half the team screaming and running towards her.

"Oh, my god! That was amazing!" I yelled as I jumped on her back. The team following suit.

"This isn't over. Let's go!" Crystal called out, ushering us away from the team.

The game continued with both teams having an equal amount of possession. I tried getting long passes through but it fell apart by bad crosses and good defending.

Our team accidentally mistimed a tackle, earning herself a yellow card and the opponent to get medical attention.

I looked up and saw we were at 90+2 minutes. I stood with all the forwards and huddled up slightly.

"Okay, look. It's a selfish idea, I know. And not a team contributed idea. Not to boost my ego or anything, but I think im the best dribbler of all of us. What if I try dribbling through them?"

The three girls looked at each other and shrugged.

"You do you. Honestly, it may be our best shot. Defense won't pull back. They're all in the back."

"Are we sure about this?" I asked, just to be certain.

"Hit it with your best shot, Ryder. If you need us we'll be backing you up. Left, right and middle."

The whistle Rang again and we nodded. "Let the others know so we can push."

The opposition kicked their free kick and it landed in front of us. I sprinted up, my team following suit.

"Tiki-taka!"

My team all put themselves in different positions. Enough for the opposition to spread out to follow the ball

1 pass. 2 pass. 3 pass. 4 pass. And finally, 5 pass. The ball landed on me.

"We have a few seconds! Run, Ryder!"

I sprinted upward. body feinting through one defender. Then flicking the ball over another. And finally I was in open space.

"Go!"

"Shoot!"

Multiple calls of my teamates yelled. I lifted my foot to swing but before it could make contact, a foot hit my ankle.

I screamed in pain and held onto my ankle. The ref blowing his whistle multiples times, running up to the girl and flashing her a red card.

The crowd booed as I groaned.

"Fuck, y/n. Are you okay?" Our captain spoke to me, eyes filled with worry.

I groaned in response and gave her a thumbs up. The girl smiling at the response.

"We got a free kick."

"Take it. You got it."

"No. That's all yours. I trust you."

"Are you sure?" I questioned as she helped me up.

"Stop doubting yourself. Doubting yourself brings your confidence down."

"Well, not like I was confident to begin with..."

"Low confidence won't get you called into the senior squad. You've got what it takes, y/n. I trust you. Trust yourself."

I nodded and watched patiently as the goalkeeper tried getting her wall into a safe position.

Taking 3 steps back and 2 to the side, I placed my hands on my hips. The whistle blew and I gave myself a few seconds to compose myself.

I stared at the ground before my eyes shifted to the ball. Running towards it, my foot connected with the corner of the ball.

Once it connected I stood motionless as I watched it soar in the air. The keeper dived to the corner hidden by the wall, clearly not expecting me to go for it.

I screamed as it hit the top bin. The keepers finger tips connected with the ball but not enough to make contact to save it.

The final whistle blew and my team made their way towards me.

"Ryder! Ryder! Ryder!"

"My goodness, Ryder! My goodness, my beautiful team! This is the first time we've ever beaten them. Well played, girls. Huddle up!"

The coach spoke when she got to us after running from the sidelines.

"I loved the communication. I loved the tactics that I didn't show you. Everyone played a key role today. If I could, I'd give every one of you player of the match. Great game and rest up."

"On 3! 1,2,3. Team!"

"Team!"

As all the girls made a move to leave the coach stopped us. "Let me get a photo of this. I want to have this as a memory. Quite honestly, the best squad I've had in years."

We huddled up like we usually would And posed. Once again we made a move to leave yet this time I was the only one that was stopped.

"Y/n Ryder?" An unknown voice spoke.

"Yes?"

"May I have a word?"

"Um. Can I ask who you are?" I asked when I saw her face. Or what I could see.

She has dark blonde or brown hair, i couldn't really tell. She seemed older based on the wrinkles surrounding her face and she was sporting dark shades and a cap.

"My name is Jill Ellis," she spoke with a smile as she took off the hat and glasses, "I wanted to talk to you about joining the senior u.s. women's national team."

"I- what?"

"I've seen you play. National and for your school. I've swung by a couple times, got recommended to come see you. I strongly believe you're more advanced for your age and capable of meeting requirements for the senior team."

"I don't-"

"I believe you're a great player. Your vision, passing, speed and skills are just- magnificent. I want you to join the senior squad and possibly join in on major tournaments. Such as the Olympics, euro's, and even the World Cup."

"You think I'm good enough to maybe play in the World Cup? I'm 16."

"If I wasn't sure about you, I wouldn't have wasted my time coming here multiple times. The World Cup is coming up in a few years. And I want to put you in the squad so you can get chemistry with the rest of the girls. So what do you say?"

"I mean, wow. Ms. Ellis-"

"Jill is fine."

"I'm incredibly honored, I really i am. But I'm not sure how it would work out. I have 3 years left of highschool and I want to go to college. Playing in major tournaments would just be unrealistic if I wanted to get an education."

"What college do you want to go to? Why?"

"I want to go to Ramon llul university. It's in Spain. I want to study physical activity and sports science. Maybe play in college and get signed for a club."

"I've seen your records. You've got credits from middle school. You've got quite a few now, enough for you to graduate early. Maybe even graduate college early, too. I promise you, playing for us wouldn't get in the way."

"I'll do it."

The woman in front of me smiled. "We'll be in contact with your parents, okay? If all goes well, we'll send over a contract. Congratulations y/n."

"Thank you, Jill."

She smiled and began walking away before she spoke and turned back around, "Keep up the good training. And take care of yourself physically and mentally."

"I will!"

"What the fuck? Was that Jill Ellis?" The voice of Melissa asked after she slammed herself into me. "What did she say?"

I stood silent for a few second, mouth opening in closing attempting to find the words. The girl in front of me squinted and slapped my cheek before gripping my jaw, forcing me to look at her.

Her eyebrows raised expectantly as she awaited a reply. "I'm joining the senior national team."

"You're what?!"

We're getting closer to less being in the story. Don't you worry shes coming

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

60.1K 1.1K 18
Just my gay ass writing about hot women with all respect
3.7K 157 19
Olivia Mead just had a difficult move to Arsenal with her twin girls as a single mom. But when she meets Eva, another new player from the Netherlands...
109K 2.8K 42
y/n y/ln was born in the US but her fathers family is from England and her mothers family is from Italy. Her parents moved back to England and y/n gr...