Fair & Square (j. hs fanfic)

By DLuvRead

Quick Maths: take two enemies multiplied by one insane bet, divided by crazy shenanigans plus one wacky senio... More

✎author's note
✎characters: aesthetic
✎1: truth & dare
✎2: exes & ohs
✎3: stranger & danger
✎4: bets & wagers
✎5: lunches & truces
✎6: honour & honesty
✎7: flavours & flirting
✎8: apply & deliver
✎9: babysitting & beaches
✎10: cool & cute
✎11: parties & punch
✎12: dance offs & best friends
✎13: troubles & tables
✎14: boast & brag
✎15: plans & impacts
✎16: rides & rollercoasters
✎18: noticeboards & volunteers
✎19: prep & test
✎20: fun & follow

✎17: half full & half empty

5 3 2
By DLuvRead

[unedited]

"They're going to say no," Leila says, nonchalant as ever. "Mark my words."

"No, unmark it," I hiss, pacing up and down for the millionth time in the last half an hour. "I need positive energy right now, not pessimism."

"It's not pessimism," Leila replies. "It's realism. Forget glass half full or half empty - the point is that there's water in the glass."

"And what does glasses of water have to do with this?" I ask, glaring at my friend who's casually seated on the wooden bench outside the principal's office.

"It means that of we use our common sense, we should guess that the people inside are going to say no," she says, flipping through the magazine she's been fiddling with this whole time. Because apparently that's what teens these days want to do when waiting for the principal to call them into her office - the whole damn table is full of them.

Ever since yesterday, when Jimin mentioned the whole kissing booth possibility, I haven't been able to stop thinking about it. Not even when Hoseok walked past me in the hall and made a joke about my silence about the bet recently did I allow myself to get distracted.

I mean, with the whole setup of the kissing booth, I'd be winning against him anyway, right? And this time round, I'm not going to say anything until it's done - celebration should come after definite success, I know that now.

I went home, spilled the tea to my mom in such a rush that even I can't remember what I said to her. Then I went upstairs, trying to work out the kinks of the whole thing: how it would work, how many people I would need and how the the thing must look. If anything, I looked like quite the event planner in my room last night, my old scrapbook material coming in clutch at a moment I least expected it.

When I was done, I showed it to Momma, who said she loved the design. Which is her way of saying that she doesn't really enjoy the idea of it all that much. That was no train smash, though - she had the same reaction when I insisted on driving Shirley when I got my licence last year, and my baby hasn't burst into flames like she feared it would.

And now, here I am on a Tuesday after school, ready to present my idea for a game booth to the SFC. I even made sure dress smart casual today - if you can call a faded blue jeans and old turquoise blouse from Momma's closet smart casual. I mean, she practically gave it to me when I asked if I could borrow it this morning; apparently, her chest will never be able to fit in it again now that she's breastfeeding Paisley.

My hair is trapped in the tidiest two French braids I could braid it in this morning instead of leaving it hanging over my shoulders like I usually do. I was going to put on some of Momma's lipstick for an extra pizzazz, until Paisley came wobbling in and almost ate the rest of the makeup kit while I was considering which colour to put on.

Unfortunately for me, though, the announcement about the whole booth idea thing was indeed made yesterday just before the final bell rang. And it's popularity is far greater than I thought it would be.

Which meant that a million people decided to present their own ideas today too, which meant that I had to wait in this long damn line after school because Leila insisted I go to the bathroom with her instead of heading straight to the principal's roomy office, where the presentations for booth ideas are going to be held for the rest of the week.

Leila being Leila, of course, suggested that I ditch the whole thing and come back later this week. But I can't risk anyone else finding out about the idea and presenting it as their own before I can. Or, worse, make fun of the whole thing and try to prove to me that it isn't going to work.

That last one is mainly directed at a certain Jung Hoseok, but you get my point. I've even managed to successfully avoid him today. Didn't see him in class, not in lunch and thankfully, not in this long line that has steadily started to clear out.

Most of the kids who were here have gone in, but the others seemed to have unconsciously yielded Leila's advice and might return on the other days when fewer people are here.

And Leila herself is here for moral support. Because Rosé has piano practice. Fatou has debate club. And Jimin is a judge himself, inside listening to other proposals with the rest of the SFC right now.

But the longer I wait outside this office in her company, the more I'm convinced that I could've just been my own moral support. Don't get me wrong, I love Leila, but her compassion has never been the best, especially now when I'm getting a little nervous about what the potential answer will be to my idea. Well, mine and Jimin's, technically

There was this one time, before we became friends, when I tripped and fell really hard on the brick walkway outside the school. I scraped both my elbows and Mt right knee; it burned like hell.

Cue sixteen year old Leila, offering me a bottle of hand sanitizer as makeshift disinfectant, telling me to clean the scrapes before they get infected with something and walking right off like nothing at all happened. Jimin doubled over with laughter at the sight, calling after her to hand her sanitizer back when I was done.

That was two years ago. And although we're closer now than ever, her way of dealing with certain emotional aspects remain the exact same. Although, she wouldn't really be the Leila I know and have come to love if that changed dramatically, right? Anyway...

"Or..." I counter her words, finally taking a seat down on the bench next to her. "We can believe that they'll use their common sense to see what a cool and awesome idea this is. I know I do."

Leila kisses her tongue to her teeth, finally setting the magazine down. "See, now that might be bordering on delusion, don't you think?"

"You say that like it's a bad thing," I huff, nudging her shoulder playfully. She nudges back, smiling as well.

"It is," is her response. "No matter what people say, it is not the solution to anything."

"Says the person who was hardcore convinced that Fatou would never pay attention," I tease playfully. "Yet, through relentless flirting, you got where are today."

A small layer of red settles atop her bronze cheeks. "That is totally not the same thing. If anything, that was desperate determination, okay?"

"Sure, whatever you say, Leilabelle," I answer in a sing-song voice, using the nickname I know she hates more than anything. Anything being when it rains the day after she flat ironed her hair. Why do you think I saved her contact like that on my phone.

"You little-"

The door to the office opens before she can attack me, and I shriek quietly as I jump up, grabbing my rolled up poster and flashcards with me to escape her. "Can't catch me," I tease, quickly walking towards the door.

"I'll get you next time, Kin," she calls over to me, making me smile in her direction.

"Wish me luck," I say winking.

"Luck," she says, standing up and stretching a bit.

I take a deep breath before entering the office. This is a good idea and definitely something that hasn't been done at this school before. They'll love it and say yes in no time; I just know it.

"No," the chairperson of the SFC says, his suit crisp and formal much like the tone of his voice.

Well, that was a little unexpected.

I stop talking mid-sentence, mouth slightly agape at the sudden interruption. "You mean...you had no idea what a great idea this is?" I try, feeling a little awkward. I haven't even gotten to the part where I recruit other volunteers as kissers yet.

"No, I meant no to the idea," the chairperson answers, his eyebrows knotted together so tightly that I'm wondering if it was glued on like that. "As an extension of the school and its name, we couldn't possibly endorse a booth for kissing at our event. It's not appropriate."

"But it's for a good cause!" I defend, trying not to sound like a whiny child. "The name itself sounds so catchy even!"

"With all due respect, Ms Bennett," March Lin Tracey, the other Student Representative on the SFC, says with an eyebrow lifted, "I hardly think the name Kissapalooza is in anyway beckoning. If anything, it sounds like the name of a kid's show that has a lot of cute monsters in it."

Nothing about that statement sounded in the slightest bit respectful.

Another lady at the table clears her throat, looking over at March Lin. "As much as we love your enthusiasm, Miss Bennett," she says, looking back at me, "there is just too many things that are wrong with the execution of it all."

"Aha," I say, maybe a little to energetic. "I've already compiled a list of potential issues and their solutions, if you're willing to listen to them." I didn't have a chance to get to that part either.

Jimin speaks up for the first time since this whole thing started. He gestures towards the poster that I managed to pin against the whiteboard at the front. "I think, just to be fair, we let her enlighten us with her list."

I give him a grateful look, glancing back at the chairperson and our principal sitting in the middle of the long table. After what seems like forever, he sighs and says, "Fine. But make it quick."

"Great," I say, grinning from ear to ear. "So, first and foremost, sanitation. We'll have sanitizing stations strategically placed, like, everywhere. We can even get those fancy automatic hand sanitizers - you know, the ones that make you feel like you're in the future?"

"And where exactly will we find all this equipment?" Principal Thandiwe asks, lifting an eyebrow.

"From my stepdad," I say, glancing down at my flashcards. "He literally works in at sanitizer company. It's easy to arrange an endorsement, especially when they hear what it's for."

There's an uncomfortable type of silence where I wait for someone to say something. With a small encouraging look from my best friend, I clear my throat and go on.

"As for volunteers who'll be our main 'kissers', I thought about-"

"What about consent, Kinsley?" March Lin interrupts me, narrowing her green eyes at me. "We all know that permission from both giver and receiver is essential before anything continues. How do you plan on ensuring that?"

"Uhm," I say, getting tired of being cut off the whole time. "W-well, we could always implement a strict 'No Means No' policy, and if anyone feels uncomfortable or wants to opt-out, they can, uhm, do so without judgment."

"What about consent forms?" Jimin asks, and by his tone, I can tell that he's trying to be helpful. "Would you use that to make all participants aware of what exactly this booth is about before they commit to it?"

"Yes," I say, smiling weakly. "Yes, we'll have that too." This is even worse than any presentation I've ever had to do in class. If this is job interviews are like, then I'd rather become an entrepreneur. Or marry a rich person. Whichever one comes first.

"As much as I appreciate you wasting more of our time," the chairperson snaps harshly, "the answer remains no. Not only will it be quite the fuss to execute, but I'm sure we're all aware of your recent endeavours regarding kissing."

"Recent endeavours?" I ask, my eyes go wide in shock. Wait, do even the faculty know about the Kiss Bet?

Oh gosh...

"That's what happens when a video regarding a kissing bet goes viral, Kinny," March Lin comments, resting her chin on interlocked fingers. "It's not like you keep that a secret."

"But thank you for your efforts anyway, sweetie," the lady who glared at March Lin says, offering me a sweet smile. I glance at Jimin who also only has an apologetic look on his face.

I nod, taking my poster from the board and making my way to the door. This sucks - nothing went the way I hoped it would. Moreover, apart from setting me back in terms of the stupid Kiss Bet, I also feel like I've been nothing but a disappointment in this regard.

Sure, I could come up with a new idea to propose to the SFC, but I doubt I'll feel as passionate about it as this one. Maybe, in another world where internet isn't a think, I probably would've succeeded...

At that thought, I stop in my tracks. And then million other thoughts flood my brain. And then my smile spreads across my face once again.

"Wait," I say, spinning around and walking back to the panel again. I place my poster back on its spot, smiling at the members of the SFC. "I'm not really done making my case."

Most of them look shock, except for the chairperson who's glaring at me like I'm mud at the bottom of his shoe. That doesn't deter me though.

"I'm aware of your concerns about this whole project," I start, not even glancing down at my flashcards. Mainly because none of this was thought of before just now. "And while your concerns are fully appreciated, we must think of this from a more realistic standpoint."

"What could possibly be more realistic than the chaos this idea will bring?" March Lin asks, whipping her long, black hair over shoulder. Every syllable she utters sounds sceptic.

"The absolute craze this idea will bring," I answer confidently. "I'll admit, as the presenter of this idea, I'm a little optimistic - a glass half full, if you will. While you guys, you're listing all the things that could go wrong, you know, like a glass half empty type of person."

"What's your point, Miss Bennett," Principal Thandiwe asks, leaning forward in her desk. "I'd hurry it along if I were you."

"Yes ma'am," I say, adjusting the hem of my blouse before continuing. "My point is that the majority of the crowd who'll be attending this event will be a bunch of teenagers. Teenagers who love things that are new, trendy or different. And once the craze around the booth goes around, we'll at least be having people lining up to see what's happening. Which is what we want right? Booths that draw attention?"

I can see the principal and the other lady's heads turn in contemplation. The chairperson just keeps on glaring.

"If my Kiss Bet video reached even you guys, just imagine how many people will see the news about the booth?" I say, even though I don't really want word to get out that I'm affiliated with this whole thing. Not yet, anyway. "Boom, instant money maker. Realism in its finest."

"I don't think that was the correct use of realism, Bennett," March Lin comments, but nobody else says anything for a small while.

"Whatever, you get the point," I say eventually, momentarily forgetting that I talking to a literal bunch of grown ups. And Jimin and March Lin, of course.

"Very well then, Ms. Bennett," the chairperson grumbles after exchanging a few whispers with the other members next to him. "You certainly seem to have...points. And we've basically been forced to hear them. However, the board will need some time to discuss and make a decision."

"You'll be informed on whether or your idea is part of the final setup once we've reached a unanimous conclusion," the other lady says, still smiling sweetly.

"Thank you so much," I say, completely disregarding my poster on the board. Maybe leaving it there might drill in their heads that this is quite the cool idea. And while they didn't exactly say yes, at least it's not a no.

Well, a no again. Which means that I have quite the taunting to do to Leila when I get out of the office. And a thank you too.

✎✎✎

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

136K 8K 95
"Great news! Wei WuXian has died!" "Wait- WHAT?!" "But I'm still here." The juniors (Lan Sizhui, Lan Jingyi, Jin Ling, and Ouyang Zizhen) accidentall...
1.5M 26.8K 58
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...
489K 11.2K 60
"You brush past me in the hallway And you don't think I can see ya, do ya? I've been watchin' you for ages And I spend my time tryin' not to feel it"...
84.4K 2.2K 31
Izuku Midoriya, neglected and bullied due to his lack of a quirk, endured abuse from his family and friends, especially his twin sister Izumi and Kat...