So F*cking Special: 1996 (Boo...

By RayeMurphy

A 90's Friday Night Lights meets Fifty Shades, only the town is the sadomasochist and the two young lovers th... More

Prologue
Introduction
Round Here
Hunger Strike
Possum Kingdom
Smashing Pumpkins 1979
(Cover Wars)
Dreams
ZOMBIE
Champagne Supernova
Personal Jesus
Losing My Religion Part 1
(Character Aesthetics)
Loosing My Religion Part 2
Losing My Religion Part 3
Friend Is a Four Letter Word
I Alone
(Additional Character Aesthetic)
Don't Speak
Something In The Way
If It Makes You Happy
Night Swimming
Loser
Follow You Down
(Additional Character Aesthetic)
Crash Into Me Part 1
Crash Into Me Part 2
Glycerine
Smells Like Teen Spirit
Big Me
Fade Into You
Good
Foolish Games
Strange Currencies
Head Over Feet
Hey Jealousy
High and Dry
High and Dry Part 2
Black
I'll Stand By You
Creep
AWARDS FOR SO F*CKING SPECIAL: 1996
PUBLISHING UPDATE

Linger

62 18 31
By RayeMurphy

The week back from the party had been torment and it was only Wednesday. I was glad we had escaped the news we heard of the party being broken up, as well as Mrs. Crawford's part in the prank the administration pulled on Angel. I guess when the cops came they found that Angel's car had been left there at the twin's house. His dad was privy the entire weekend. He kept it from Angel, just casually asking every once in a while, where his car was. Angel kept oddly saying a buddy borrowed it. He should have known something was up when his dad accepted that as an answer.

I was as caught up on all my assignments as I could be, and Adrian was back to business as usual, ignoring me. I didn't have anything too out of the ordinary to worry about, other than Robyn Mae's face haunting me when I replayed her vomiting next to Spencer Pearce. How unconscious she looked thrown over some dudes' shoulders as her sister helped them lead her out.

I felt guilty. We sure got over the disturbing parts of this failed party quickly. Come on. Lynn and Reagan were WASTED. That may be par for the course for Reagan on occasion, but it wasn't like Lynn. She never drank to get wasted. I guess There were a lot of things that went down that night that somehow got swept under the rug, and in Robyn's case, I needed to know if she was okay. She didn't show up to school on Monday, but I'd seen her the following days.

It was classic. She seemed withdrawn and depressed and not as dressed up as usual. I couldn't get the ordeal out of my head. My mom was still in Salt Lake. Her meetings were extended, which was great. It meant she was sourcing out to more clients, but I really needed her. I wanted to tell her about Robyn. She would know what to do.

The only good part of the party was Adrian. I don't think our friends gave him enough credit for what he did for everyone. Even though I hated him that moment for ignoring me, I had to admit his actions at the party were something I'd always admired and counted on from him.

He wasn't a designated driver that night. Sure, in the sense that he drove, so he really couldn't drink all that much, but he could have thrown caution to the wind and gotten a ride from someone. Instead, he came, rallied, and then made sure everyone we knew got home safely.

He was always responsible like that. He didn't ever take advantage of being gifted that incredible car. It's like he knew what a privilege it was to own it, so he treated being able to drive it that way.

Ugh, what was I going on about? He had been brainwashed by Devin and whatever anyone thought was starting to happen between us had stopped. That, or I needed to wake up and stop blaming Devin for the actions Adrian had shown me throughout our history together.

We were not friends. He wasn't into me that way, and it would be beyond weird if he was because we didn't even like each other. The reality was, Adrian had always thought he was better than me, and I was better off when I let him think it, instead of letting him in my head.

It was almost last period and I had to focus on getting to the country club for golf. My grandmother was working tonight, and I know my granddad said he'd try to be back before I got home from practice. He had a water main to go check just outside of Corsicana.

I could call Uncle Dean for a ride, but it would just be quicker to get one. I stopped in the girl's restroom on the way to my last class to fumble through my backpack and make sure I had everything. We didn't have practice last week, so I quickly realized I had taken my practice bag out at home and didn't have any extra clothes for golf.

The bathroom door swung open to reveal Reagan popping in on me.

"Hey, Wendy's going to wait for you after last period. She's going to golf practice tonight so you can ride with." Wendy Tomlin, the funny, nicer twin who did make cheerleader, usually only showed up to golf for actual tournaments and picture day. She played with her dad on his professional course he had with his work membership. She didn't have much use for our school's golf program, and with special permission, they let it fly.

"She like, never comes, so I didn't think to ask."

"Well I did, and don't you forget me for it."

"Hey, will this work to play in?" I had worn a vest that day over a fitted white turtleneck, reminder... it was the 90's. I took the vest off to see if the turtleneck flew on its own.

"Um, yeah, if you're careful not to cut anybody with those things!"

"What?" I turned to look in the mirror to see my boobs at attention and two darts sticking out of them.

"Good God, are you not wearing a bra?"

"Of course, I am! Apparently, it's not a good one. Can nipples grow over night?! What the Hell?"

"Oh relax. At least you have them. Some of us are still waiting for more to come. Maybe you just had a little growth spurt there, and that shirt is translucent, as well as your bra, and you are incredibly cold?"

"I can't wear this."

"Yes, you can. Just grab some Band-Aids from the nurse on your way out.

"Band-Aids?"

"Yes. You put them over your nipples, and you'll look fine, better than fine... you'll look amazing in that flimsy bra and almost see through shirt.

"Reagan, I'm going to the golf course, not the "Chicken Ranch." It's fine, I'll just wear my vest and look like a dork out there." Reagan grabbed my vest off the bathroom countertop and took off running.

"Band-Aids, and don't forget Wendy's waiting out front for you after class!" She shouted behind her as the bathroom door swung back and the late bell rang.

I made myself late to stop by the nurse's station on the way to last period. There was a note on the door that the nurse had already gone home for the day and to please go to the office if you had an emergency. My nipples were not an emergency I wanted to share with Principal Sabella's staff, so I went to my last period class holding my backpack in front of me and clinging to it as if I didn't feel well.

Once the bell rang, I escaped the hallways as quickly as possible. I knew Wendy got out before I did, and I didn't want her to have to wait too long for me.

"What's the matter with you?" I dropped my backpack onto the floorboard of her passenger side and slid in the car.

"Woah, momma! You want me to turn the heat on for you?" Wendy noticed right away.

"Is it that bad? I don't understand. Did I get new nipples after lunch? I swear it wasn't like this when I got dressed, and I had a vest on all day."

"Maybe you threw your vest on before you looked in the mirror this morning. Are you even wearing a bra?"

"Oh my God! Of course, I'm wearing a bra, at this point I'd be arrested if I wasn't. Tell me you have an extra t-shirt back here or something." We both looked back into the messiest, most expensive car I'd ever seen.

"All that and no shirt, huh?"

"Please. You sound like Whitney. She says my car is disgusting."

"It is!"

"Well, she and I shared a womb, and a face, we do not, however, share a car!" We both laughed as she peeled out of the parking lot. The sky was super cloudy all of the sudden and in the distance, we saw lightning strike.

"Hey, you might get lucky, and we get rained out. If not, you can run in the club house and buy a jacket." I didn't say anything to curtail her optimism over what she had just assumed I had in my wallet, but no... I didn't have sixty to ninety dollars in my purse for a windbreaker or hoodie with the Nineteenth Hole's logo printed on the back.

"What are you showing up for today anyway?"

"Coach said I had to at least pop by one practice before every tournament to tee off and play nine holes with everybody. Something about team spirit, although I think you've brought enough for the both of us today!

"Thank you. That was lovely."

"Hey, I might cut out early if coach lets me. I've got a huge quiz tomorrow. You have a ride home?"

"Oh, yeah, I'll figure it out."

"I'm sure you will with those things!"

When we got out of the car, the clouds covering the golf course had turned even darker. I walked up to the club house to check out my clubs and in my peripheral vision saw Adrian's car parked in the next parking lot over. Damn it. I forced myself to relax. The last practice I had while he was working in The 19th Hole Restaurant was a non-issue. I didn't bump into him at all.

Our little side entry of the club house was practically empty today. I wondered if I wouldn't get lucky and it would just be the girl's team playing, and just few of us at that. A few minutes later Dane Lewis and Shelby North showed up, followed by some incredibly shy senior who rarely spoke to us unless she was paired with one of us at a tournament.

There was a note that Coach Mellis wasn't going to be there. One of the girls said she had to go pick up her kid or something. As we all pulled out our clubs, I saw Wendy in the distant parking lot waving for my attention as she ducked out.

"Dibs!" Dane Lewis shouted behind me.

"Dibs second! July's it!" Shelby demanded with a polite apology in her tone.

"Oh, come on, I wasn't even paying attention." I had to push back, this had already been a shit day.

"Nope, you are cart duty. It's only fair. Dane did it last time."

"Okay." I could see I was defeated. A small voice attempted to interrupt us from outside the club house. It was Kathleen, that silent senior.

"I, uh, already checked one out. With just the four of us today, we can all fit, as long as one of you takes it back for me when we're done."

"She will!" Dane and Shelby fired that one of in unison. I smiled and nodded sarcastically in agreement.

"By the way, what are you wear—"

"Don't ask. Just avert your eyes and try not to get cut." I wasn't sure, but I think even painfully shy Kathleen chuckled. At least there was that.

Halfway through our assigned nine holes, the bottom fell out of the sky. We gathered our balls and clubs and flew into the cart, with Kathleen driving us as quickly as possible through the pouring rain. I was glad to see the club house was pretty much deserted when we pulled up.

Any of the cars in the parking lot were mostly on the restaurant and bar side of the country club. This meant I could duck for cover as I dropped the cart off and be seen by as few people as possible in my brilliant white turtleneck and the bra from Hell.

In all the commotion, I had forgotten I didn't have a ride home. My clubs were the last ones out of the cart and by the time I walked inside to my bin I saw Dane, Shelby and Kathleen making a run for the parking lot holding their jackets over their heads. They weren't being jerks. They knew I had to drop the cart off.

The entire point of calling dibs on not doing that was that you got to leave and didn't have to deal with signing out. Sometimes, the club house was packed on busy golf days. Obviously, the high school kids from the golf team had to wait behind paying customers and club members, so I don't blame them for running.

I was at least optimistic it wouldn't be too bad or busy at all today with the rain. Over half the people who were in the parking lot when we arrived were already gone. I double checked that everyone's clubs were locked up and I stepped out the back door to walk around in front.

 Everything was closed and there was a fresh sign that read: "Closed due to rain. Drop any remaining carts at the 19th Hole/they will sign you out." What. The. Entire. *%#?!

I looked up to the adjacent parking lot, and, of course, Adrian's car was still there. At this point, I just wanted to scream or give up. I didn't even care. It was literally raining on my face. I hopped in the cart and drove it down to where I saw a row of carts parked by the restaurant.

A bus boy was packing up the outside bar tables as quickly as he could, and one last ditch effort had me hoping that Adrian had gone out the back and I just missed him. No such luck.

I opened the door to the dark dimly lit neon signs that shined against silver and gold trophies and tournament cups proudly displayed on high shelves. Adrian looked funny with a black apron and bar rag hanging from his waste. He didn't "look" funny as much as it was peculiar to see someone like him working.

He was flipping the chairs over on top of the empty tables. There was one older golfer settling up and finishing his Old Fashioned at the end of the bar, and from what I could tell, the kitchen staff was still in the back.

I was soaking wet from the rain, and it was chilly outside in spite of my white turtleneck faux pas, so it was perfectly appropriate for me to cross my arms tightly and cover my, excuse me... high beams. I saw when Adrian looked up at me, but I had already diverted my eyes to my saving grace at the bar.

It was Ethan, the bar manager. I had dealt with him several times at the club house, and he was nice enough. He was a rough around the edges, but an attractive man in his late twenties, and I knew he would recognize me as one of the high school golfers. Good, I can just sign and run. I would worry about getting home as soon as I was out of Adrian's eye line.

"Hey, I was hoping it didn't take you guys out up there! Judy said about four of you headed out two hours ago or so. What hole did ya'll make it to?" The seasoned bartender was relieved we hadn't abandoned the cart out there and ran.

"We got nearly six holes in before the bottom fell out on us."

"Nice. I didn't factor you all might breeze through faster with hardly anybody else out there." Ethan picked up the clip board and grabbed a pen from behind his ear. "I think you ladies were my last cart out. Did you see any stragglers on your way in?"

"There was a rogue player... it looked like he was across the green from us on the 8th hole." Ethan put the pen down on the sign in sheet in front of me, then moved to the back of the bar to reach for a set of keys.

"Adrian, why don't you check her out and sign for the cart, then you can head on out of here too for the night. We're not gonna get anybody else in this storm. I'm gonna go check on our straggler.

He's probably played out by now and headed home, but better safe than sorry in this weather. Ole' Jack will hold down the fort til' I get back." He tapped the bar and the older golfer raised his old fashioned in agreement. "Night Adrian. Night young lady. You all be careful head'n home." My heart froze.

I tried to just look for Kathleen's name and our cart number as quickly as I could so I could just sign, hand him the keys and run. He had walked up to the bar where Ethan left me and was standing in front of me before I could grab it.

"Where are the others?"

"They already left. I was stuck with the cart."

"Wait, how'd you get here? Do you have a ride?"

"Well, yes, of course. We just got rained out early, so I was going to call home at the club house." Why did I have to defend myself to him?

"And, how'd that work out for you... being that the club house is obviously closed?"

"I don't know Adrian, I guess I'm pretty resourceful and I was going to figure it out. I'm sure there is a phone here your bartender boss wouldn't mind me using when he gets back." Adrian scoffed at the idea of me waiting here until Ethan returned.

"So, you'd rather ask a practical stranger for a ride than me?"

"I wasn't going to ask anyone for a ride, Adrian! I was going to ask to use the phone. I'm not completely unfortunate."

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"Nothing. Where do I sign? It's under Kathleen's name."

He looked me over before moving to the clip board.

"You look like a drowned rabbit; you didn't bring your jacket?"

Then, to my complete and utter dismay, a Texas sized rumble of thunder shook through the bar. It was so loud my arms flew uncrossed and the lights behind the bar flickered.

"Woah!" Adrian said out loud. In those few seconds, I felt confident that his exclamation was about the thunder as he quickly looked back at the old man down the bar from us to check that all was okay. However, when he returned his gaze to me, much quicker than I anticipated, his eyes were on my infamous white turtleneck. Only the white turtleneck was additionally soaking wet.

I looked like I had shown up for a wet t-shirt contest for some bizarre Oktoberfest. Not to mention the fact that my nipples were suddenly broken and frozen stiff at attention for the entire day I'd worn a shirt, bra combo that offered no coverage whatsoever. And then, he confirmed I was right about his first exclamation.

"Woah." Yup. His eyes were on my girls, not the old man at the end of the bar anymore. "Sorry. It's just... You're SOAKED."

"Yes, I'm fully aware. Now may I please sign and get the Hell out of here?" Already exposed, I took the opportunity of having free hands to reach for the clip board and pen and sign away. I dropped the keys on the bar and walked out as fast as my legs would carry me.

The rain was still pouring down like an avalanche, and it was incredibly loud on the patio awning I stood under. The door swung open and shut behind me.

"What are you doing?" Adrian screamed to be heard over the rain.

"I'm going to wait for that guy to come back and use the phone."

"No way in Hell are you waiting here like that for Ethan. I'll obviously take you home."

"Well, I certainly wouldn't want to put you out." My response much ruder than I meant it, having to yell over the pounding rain.

"Wait here." He turned toward the door, then paused and turned back to me. "Why are you like this?!" It must have been a rhetorical question, as he went right back through the door continued inside without waiting for an answer. He came back with a pile of clean bar rags he covered under his blue and white Palomino letterman jacket he was now wearing.

"I don't have an umbrella either... want to make a run for it?"

On three, we took off. I thought that meant he would run as fast as he could separate from me, but he locked his arm around my waist and took off with me by his side until we made it to his car. It was pouring and there was no undoing the literal water that was now dripping off both of us.

He opened the passenger side for me of his vintage Mustang and pulled out the bar rags as quickly as possible to put down on both of our seats. I couldn't help it, but I almost burst out laughing. If the intensity between us wasn't so thick, I think I would have. All of this going on, and that's what he thought about... his seats? Typical Adrian. He was such a perfectionist.

The sky was crazy when he started the ignition. It had clouded up and started raining before it got dark, so it looked as if it were in some transition between day and night that didn't involve the sun. It was light grey and almost lavender all around. Even though it was darker out, you could see the lightning as well as the massive droplets of rain as clear as day as they pelted toward the windshield. It was no doubt dangerous to be driving in, but it was phenomenal to see none the less.

We drove down the winding drive of the Country Club in silence. I didn't want to say anything to disturb his focus navigating the rain, and the truth was, I had nothing to say. I saw him glance over at me a few times, then he reached to adjust the air.

"Are you cold?"

I tilted my head and bit my bottom lip stifling a sarcastic reply.

"I didn't me those—that! I didn't mean that," he corrected. "I was asking if you wanted the heat turned up."

After that, anything he said sounded like the beginning of a dirty movie. Was he nervous? Surely not. I took a deep breath and looked out the window. There it was again, that scent. The smell of... him. I thought I had policed that out of my head already, but it was magnified in the close quarters of his car. Every part of my body responded to taking it in.

"You never called me that night."

"You've never given me your number."

I saw the corner of his lip raise into a partial smile out toward his window, and with that the car was full of heat. There was an electric charge between the driver's seat and mine and it was so strong I had to turn to look out the window to release myself from it.

When I turned my head back to the dash looking out my side of the wind shield, I was instantly aware of every breath I took, where and how my hands were folded in my lap, and I had almost forgotten about the rain. Adrian seemed lost in thought on the road as well, and I had never felt such a heavy pull toward someone in my entire life. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

20.6K 714 62
Alone. A simple word that has always held many meanings to Ella, and starting her senior year at a new high school, solitude had seemed the easiest w...
290K 4.1K 44
Alejandra Martinez had the perfect life until she lost her mom and childhood to a violent tragedy that she witnessed. As a result, her dad fell into...
40.3K 819 41
They say all good boys go to heaven, but bad boys bring heaven to you. And that's what he brought me, Heaven. We were terribly perfect for each othe...