Lavender & Ice

Door RBecMarie

Ashima has dreamed of space exploration her entire life. Finally embarking on her first mission, her excite... Meer

Intro!
1. Lift Off
2. Crash Landing
3. Close Encounters
4. Waking Up
5. Home Away From Home
6. A Rough Start
7. Introductions
8. An Injury
9. Exploration & Confrontation
10. Roles Reversed
11. Expanding the Palate
12. Breaking the Dam
13. Warm Feelings
14. Progress
15. Stockholm?
16. Conversation
17. Answers
18. Exploration
19. The Harsh Truth
20. Frustration
21. A New Danger
22. The Brothers
23. Meeting the Family
24. A Warning
25. Response from the Homeland
26. Arrival at the Homeland
27. Meeting The Premier
28. Answering the King and Queen
29. Zein's Vengeance
30. A Not So Happy Reunion
32. Reunited
33. First Look at the Homeland
34. Spending the Day Together
35. You're a what?!
36. Is This a Date?
37. Taking a Leap
38. The Truth Comes Out
39. Searching
40. A New Dwelling
41. Contact
42. Joreth's Decision
43. Heartbreak
44. Aftermath
45. Nothing Good
46. Another Foe?
47. Running out of Time
48. A Cruel Reunion
49. Rahn's POV
50. Where do we go from here?
51. A New Family
Author's Note / 2nd Book

31. The Brothers Questioned

3.5K 188 4
Door RBecMarie

Kahal sat quietly next to his brother. He had expected to come in and find him in a fit of rage and worry, pacing the room, fighting the urge to throw or smash things. That's how he'd been when Ashima had reacted to the rinti fruit and even worse when she'd been taken from camp.

Yet when he'd entered the waiting area near the medical rooms of the prison hall, he'd found Kietnan sitting quietly, staring at nothing in particular, his arms folded over his chest and leaning back into his chair.

"Brother." He called to him as he entered the room. When he got no response, this made Kahal more nervous than when Kietnan had been emotional and aggressive.

Kahal turned to the only other people in the room.

"Kahal." Dran addressed him as they clasped arms. "I'm glad to see you've returned safely from the trials. They were a success, I take it?"

"Greetings Dran." He turned to look at the shorter female guard and nodded. "Teluq." She nodded a greeting in return and he turned to continue speaking to his friend. "That will be a story you'll need to hear. Perhaps another time."

Dran raised a brow but then nodded. "Of course."

"Tell me what's happened. And what's going on."

Dran filled him in on Ashima's tortured state upon her arrival. Zein's demotion and the attack. "Once we left them to repair her damaged organ, we came to this room and he's been like that since." Dran glanced at his friend before turning back to the elder brother. "Something is between them, yes?" He whispered.

Kahal simply nodded. "It is easy to see how he is affected by her. Although I don't know if they've realized it yet themselves." He stated before rubbing his chin and looking at his little brother. "Tell me Dran, do you have an impression of how the Premier are viewing Ashima? What might their verdict be at this point?"

Dran opened his mouth to respond but was cut off when the door opened and in walked Japheth, Thala, Joreth, and Othen. Dran and Teluq immediately stood before their king and queen, slightly nodding their heads.

"Captain Dran, what is her status?" The King asked.

"Still in the procedure, my lord."

"And Zein?"

"In a cell. With two trusted guards on watch."

The King nodded. "Good. Garen is on his way there now." He glanced at Kietnan before turning back to Dran. "Leave us."

Dran nodded before both him and Teluq left the room.

"My Lords." Kahal greeted, his head slightly bowing as he stood beside where Kietnan was seated.

"Kahal." They nodded and turned. "Kietnan, we must speak with you."

His head and eyes slowly turned to look at them but he didn't respond.

Joreth and Othen each brought a chair to sit across from Kietnan for their King and Queen. "Thank you." Thala said and they both simply nodded their heads before taking seats to the left of Kietnan, Kahal sitting to his right.

"Since you didn't come to us, we came to you. I hope you show your respect for such an act."

Kietnan looked at the Queen and stared for a moment. Eventually he nodded slowly, swallowing and closing his eyes briefly as he took in a breath. He opened them and stood up straighter in his chair. "Apologies, my Lords. Thank you."

They both nodded before the Queen began. "Now. Talk us through everything, from the beginning."

Over the next hour Kietnan described in detail how he found Ashima, how she ended up staying in his dwelling with him and their interactions. They were particularly interested in the man who had attacked Ashima for revenge for his brother's death during the trials.

When he was finished, Thala spoke. "You aren't telling us everything.

Kietnan's eyebrow muscles scrunched up in confusion. "My lord?"

"Look at you, Kietnan. You have been sitting here in a waiting room staring blankly at a wall instead of going to meet with your lords when summoned. Which is very uncharacteristic of you." Joreth pointed out.

"He is different." Othen offered.

"Protective. Easy to rile up and get emotions from him." Joreth added.

"Kietnan?" The Queen questioned, all eyes turning to him. 

He drew in a deep breath slowly. "She has no one else to protect and defend her, so I have done so. And I will continue to do so as long as necessary. She is weak and fragile but she also is strong and resilient, determined, and brave. She is stubborn and frustrating. But she is kind and caring. She doesn't deserve what that... creature did to her. Or what Qain did to her at camp. Or the harsh words Milleck said to her. She doesn't deserve any hatred or mistreatment. She is an innocent soul and I will not allow any more harm to befall on her, even if I have to stay by her side every moment from now on." His hands fisted on the arm rests of the chair as he clasped onto them tightly.

"Perhaps she is only trying to fool you to ensure her protection?" Thala questioned and Kietnan huffed.

"Have you ever known me to be so foolish as to fall for such things? I am no adolescent." He scoffed.

The couple looked at each other before looking back at the man in front of them and shaking their heads. "No, you have always shown excellent judgment." The Queen offered. "But if we disagree with you? If we find she's a threat?"

Kietnan drew in a deep breath. "I also have always known my lords to show excellent judgment. If given the chance, I have confidence you will see her innocence as well, that she is no threat to our people."

"And what of our way of life?" King Japheth questioned. "That is, afterall, what our ancestors were avoiding by saying no to relations between Domu and other planets."

Kietnan thought for a long moment before responding. "I am confident she would never purposefully cause harm. She blended right into life at the camp."

"Outsiders bring change with them, they affect things, even if not done purposefully."

"So what are you saying? You'd execute an innocent life simply to prevent her from potentially and accidentally bringing changes to our people?"

The king huffed. "Do you think so lowly of us that you think we'd condemn an innocent to death?"

Kietnan's muscles tensed and he fought to control his excitement, his hope.

"It is our history." Joreth responded from beside him. "We've all been taught for generations how dangerous aliens are to our way of life. Of how our ancestors weren't afraid to use force to protect it. Obviously there are some who think the same." He said, referring to Zein.

King Japheth sighed. "Yes, we protect our way of life. But force was only used against those that required it. Those who showed up as a threat to our people. The aliens were all simply told to leave. Only those who refused to leave us in peace were met with such harsh force."

"Even with our history, I am saddened to learn you think Japheth and I would take such harsh actions to an individual if they prove to be innocent." The Queen added.

"Apologies, my lords." Joreth said and all brothers bowed slightly to join in the apology.

"Are you saying you will spare Ashima?" Kietnan asked hopefully. "She will not be sentenced to death?"

"We have only just begun our questioning." The King responded and Kietnan sighed.

"But so far, we see no reason to doubt her intentions. From the testimonies of you and your brothers, and from our short time with her, it seems she is an innocent."

"She is." Kietnan said firmly.

"But that does not mean she can simply stay here. While we don't prefer to use harsh measures, we still must protect our culture. She must return to her people."

~~~~~~

Ashima woke but struggled to move. She laid there with her eyes closed and her body still. It was an odd mix of feeling numb but also feeling as if she moved a muscle everything would hurt. She assumed this meant she wasn't dead.

"I will see that your duties are taken care of. Take your time"

She registered men's voices but couldn't make out the words. It was as if she were underwater, hearing garbled noises.

"We will all do our part, brother. Do not worry."

She focused on opening her eyes instead, but struggled. Perhaps if she rolled over, that would help. She began feeling frustrated when her body simply wouldn't listen to her commands. She felt her breathing become labored and her heart quicken. Just move! Anything! Her groggy mind commanded.

"Shima?" A voice whispered, but this voice she'd recognize anywhere. A tear ran down her cheek and she felt a breath of relief leave her lungs. His finger wiped the tear and caressed her cheek. "It is alright, now. I am here."

Her eyes fluttered slightly but wouldn't quite open. Yet she began to register that it was bright wherever she was. Her eyelids squinted tightly closed and she winced in reaction.

"Hold on, let me turn the light off for you."

A moment later she felt his fingers caressing her face again and she managed to slightly lean her face into his hand, another tear releasing.

"Shima." He whispered. "Take your time, I am here when you are ready. I will be here." He said as he continued caressing her cheeks with both hands.

She wanted to respond, but her body had other plans. Before she could do anything more she was asleep again.  

~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note:

Sorry for the shorter chapter! What are your thoughts on everything so far? Any questions you feel need answered at this point?

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

27.8K 1.6K 31
In a time when angels and demons traverse the cosmos, Khamuel's staid existence is thrown into chaos after his healer is found dead. His only chance...
Solacium Door Anna

Sciencefiction

203K 11.3K 54
What do you do when a tall, unreasonably attractive alien crash lands in front of you? You shoot him of course. ─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ─── It's been...
103K 5.8K 40
Pearl Blankenship, an autistic investigative journalist, witnesses the end of the world. Before the nuclear fallout can kill her, a mysterious being...
536 103 19
"When just being alive makes you a target, you learn to keep your head low." Being a nurse in an ER clinic, Eileen never had much time for romance. E...