Always next to you

By _ToniaFrancis

Abandoned by her mother and boyfriend of four years, Nicole gets a new job to start her independent life. Her... More

Author's Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Four
Chapter Thirty-Five
Chapter Thirty-Six
Chapter Thirty-Seven
Chapter Thirty-Eight
Chapter Thirty-Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty-One
Chapter Forty-Two
Chapter Forty-Three
Chapter Forty-Four
Chapter Forty Five
Chapter Forty-Six
Chapter Forty-Seven
Chapter Forty-Eight
Chapter Forty-Nine
Chapter Fifty
Chapter Fifty-One
Chapter Fifty-Two
Chapter Fifty-Three
Chapter Fifty-Four
Chapter Fifty-Five
Chapter Fifty-Six
Chapter Fifty-Seven
Chapter Fifty-Eight
Chapter Fifty-Nine
Chapter Sixty
Chapter Sixty-One
Author's Note

Chapter Thirty-Three

38 4 1
By _ToniaFrancis

NICOLE

The atmosphere of my apartment changed after Jonas left. Oliver was bleeding at the mouth while Halo and Jessi stood in shock. Aiden helped Oliver up and offered to get him treated and then drive him home. Unfortunately, Oliver turned down his offer.

I knew things between Jonas and Oliver were heated, but couldn't they talk it out like adults? They were alone in the room for five minutes and one of them ended up bleeding.

The situation seemed like this was a first. Jonas had probably never hit someone he cared about before today.

"Nicole, we have to leave for work," Jessi said. "Will you be ok?"

"I'll be fine," I smiled.

"I have to leave and freshen up. I didn't know I'd be out for so long," Halo said.

I nodded in agreement and wished them a great day. Halo took my phone and installed an application on it. He tested it in front of me and I immediately knew what it was.

"Halo, I don't need a tracker," I said, shaking my head.

Aiden's shoulders straightened as he lunged for Halo's collar. He probably remembered when I got upset with him for putting a tracker on my phone without telling me.

Now that I considered the thought, things started to go haywire after that fight. Aiden suggested we should be friends and then the engagement happened. How did things happen so fast in just a few weeks?

"Relax Aiden," Halo said, pushing him away.

They were both muscular. If they ended up fighting like Jonas and Oliver did this morning, my apartment would take all the damage. Why did they have so much energy in the morning?

"Why are you putting a tracker on her?" Aiden asked.

"Just in case," Halo replied. "You don't know the full story. Worse things are bound to happen. I need to be able to find her if she disappears again,"

"Did you ask her if she wanted a tracking device on her?"

"How is that any of your business?"

"It is my business,"

The both of them continued arguing as though I was invincible. Jessi yawned and sank onto my couch. She was probably used to this display of testosterone. However, having two guys fight over me was new to me.

"I don't need protection," I said, interrupting their banter.

"Nicole-" Halo started, but I cut him short.

"I'm not a child anymore. If she comes to harass me, I'll call the cops if I have to,"

He didn't look like he believed me. If there was anyone who understood the true nature of my relationship with my mother, it was probably Halo. Aiden was confused, but he went along pretty well.

I was surprised he was even here. Every time we shared gazes with each other. I could tell he was aching to tell me something. Aiden sighed and released Halo. They both fixed themselves and prepared to leave. Mia packed up and joined them.

Aiden left his things in my apartment as he made his way to the door. I know it was probably an excuse for me to let him in later. I wasn't ready to listen. With what my mother was proposing, I refused to drag him into my family problems.

"Stay indoors today and lock yourself in. Mia will be back after her shift," Aiden said. "I know we still haven't had the chance to talk, but if anything happens, you can call me,"

Was he really asking me to depend on him? Did he understand the implications of that?

I nodded, even though I had no plan of doing that. If something happened, I would call Mia first because she always knew what to do. Aiden didn't even know why I was getting harassed. How could he possibly help me?

When they left my apartment, I locked all three locks on my door and sighed. My body drifted slowly down the door frame until I was seated on the floor of my apartment.

My body barely noticed the impact of their presence, but the second they were gone, my apartment suddenly grew cold.

I was home alone again.

It may seem like a small gesture, but simply being around me was enough to help me feel safe. The growing pit in my lower regions made me regret not going with them.

Although I had work to keep me busy, there was a lesser possibility of me getting anything done today. Aiden said he wouldn't let me slack off, but I was feeling sorry for myself. How could I focus on working when my life was upside down?

After a long time on the floor, I decided to start with a simple task, like taking a shower. As I walked to my bedroom, I looked over to the spot where Aiden stood while he was in my apartment. Maybe I should have asked him to say.

There was a strong part of me that wanted to rely on him because I was genuinely afraid of my mother. There has never been a successful attempt at my standing up to her. I always say I would then end up running away. There was no telling what she would do to me next.

I took a shower and put on some comfortable clothes. After that, I made a small bowl of oats and went to my workspace. Thanks to my busy workdays, I went to the office more times than I was supposed to. I didn't mind because I got to see Aiden.

As expected, my emails were flooded with tasks. It pissed Harvey enough to send me five update request emails yesterday. I could barely get any work done after my mother's visit. I sighed and started typing an apology email.

Before I could hit send on the email, my doorbell rang. My eyes lit up immediately, thinking it was one of my friends. If even one of them forgot something or tried to stay with me, I would be eternally grateful.

However, when I got to the monitor screen, my body froze in its steps as I saw who it was. My mother was calling a number on her phone outside my door. This time, she wasn't alone. She had Curtis and about five of my family bodyguards with her.

What did she want this time?

My phone began to vibrate, and I knew she was the one. I shut my mouth with my hand, fighting back the tears forcing their way out. It was hard to breathe, and my heart thumped at an increased pace. If I didn't know better, I'd say I was having a heart attack.

Beep.

"Nicole, I know you're in there. Open this door and you better be packed," my mother said to the monitor.

Oh no! She was here for me and she was going to force me to go against my will. I ran to my workspace and searched for my work Android phone. Zen had given it to me for testing purposes, but it was still activated.

"Curtis, get her to open this door now," my mother instructed, taking a step back.

Curtis was terrified of disobeying my mother, so he did whatever she asked. Some days, I wondered if I would have had an easier life if he treated me differently.

"Ms Banks, your mother is losing her patience. Please open the door and let's go home."

He pressed the doorbell again. Over and over till I couldn't take it anymore. I marched to the door, my body shaking like I was about to go on the electric chair, and pressed the intercom button.

"You can do this to me, Mom," I said. "Leave now or I'm calling the cops,"

"Why involve others in our family, Nicole? Open this door or I will be breaking it down," my mother replied.

My mother wore her usual poker face, but I knew she could get explosives to this building and blow the door down. I quickly called the police because there was nothing else I could do.

I was a legal adult. I can stay by myself if I want to. Now that it has gotten to this point, I should probably get a lawyer and file a restraining order.

"911, what's your emergency?" the line went through.

"Hello, some people are at my apartment trying to force their way in. I don't want them here. Please help,"

"Ma'am, I need you to calm down and tell me your name, apartment address and room number."

I took a deep breath and told them everything, knowing my mother could hear me. She was too stunned to speak. It was apparent she didn't expect I'd call the cops.

"Nicole Christine Banks! Open this door right now!" my mother yelled.

She barely used my full name unless I was in trouble. I took that as a sign that I was doing something right. Her bodyguards started to move. Some of them left and returned with heavy-lifting objects.

These people were really going to break down my door. I gasped in disbelief and turned off the mic on my end. I wouldn't let her have her way this time. My body was still shaking, so I called Mia.

Although there were no numbers saved on this phone, I knew a few numbers by heart.

"Hey, baby girl. I'm at work right now. What's wrong? Are you hungry?" she said as soon as she answered.

"Mia, please hurry. I called the cops. I don't know what else to do. Please help me. I'm scared,"

"Nicole, what's going on?"

"My mom is here with some men. They're trying to break the door down."

Bam!

"Ahhhhhhh!" I screamed, dropping the phone I was holding.

I quickly picked up the phone and folded my body in a corner.

"Nicole? Nicole, can you hear me? What's going on?" Mia asked.

"Please help me," I cried. "I don't want to go with her. Please help me,"

"Sit tight Nicole. Wait for the cops. I'll be there soon. Whatever happens, do not open that door,"

I nodded, hugging my knees while Mia hung up the phone.

Bam! Bam! Bam!

The sound of something ramming into my door came one after the other. Ina few minutes, my building security would be here too. Some neighbours would have gotten curious by now, but I didn't even know my neighbours. There was no one I could rely on.

While I sat still, I thought about calling Aiden, but I decided against it. There was no way I'd let him see me like this twice.

Bam! Bam! Bam!

"Nicole, open this door if you don't want me to break it down!" my mother yelled.

The sound of her voice caused my ears to ring with memories I hoped I had forgotten. I was never allowed to lock my room back home because of the one day I locked myself in for three days. My mother had Curtis break the door down to punish me.

Stay calm Nicole, the cops will be here soon. She'll never get to hurt you again. I closed my ears with my hand to protect myself from the chaos.

"Ma'am, you can't do this here," a familiar voice came.

I removed my hands from my ears when I realised it was my building security. I got up and went to the screen.

"Who are you to tell me what I can and can't do?" My mother turned to face the security. The man sighed. They did not pay him enough for this.

"Ma'am, you have to vacate the premises. You're causing a disturbance. If you don't leave now, I'll have no choice but to call the cops," he said.

"You want to call the police? Go ahead! You better hope they break this door down for me. My daughter is trapped in there!"

"What?"

"You heard me! I am Nicole's mother and I've come to take her home,"

"How do I verify your claim? You've only come to visit her once. Please leave now or you won't be allowed in this building again."

"You don't know anything. I won't be leaving this place without my daughter!"

What was going on? What did my mother mean by trapped inside? I locked myself in to get away from her. Any sane person could see that she was the attacker in this situation. I was the victim.

"Miss Nicole, are you alright?" the security asked. "Please wait a bit, the cops will be here soon,"

I said nothing, but I nodded to myself. That's right. The cops will be here soon and it'll be over. Good job Nicole. You did great this time. I rubbed my hands together, anxiously waiting for the cops to come.

It was suddenly cold here. I was dressed in matching sweatpants and a hoodie, but I was still cold. Why wouldn't my body stop shaking? I dropped my work phone and went for my phone. I should probably tell someone else what was happening, even if I didn't want to bother them.

"What are you doing here?" I heard Mia's voice. "Why do you keep harassing Nicole?!"

"And who are you supposed to be?" my mother asked.

"Her best friend! I know all the terrible things you did to your own daughter, you psycho!"

Mia was beyond angry, but I felt relieved. If Mia was here, she would know what to do. In the past, Mia had to deal with abusive parents too. She was ready to lunge at my mother and pull her hair out, but the building security held her back.

"Let me go! Let me give this bitch a taste of her own medicine," Mia fought back.

"Did you just call me a bitch? Wait till you get a hold of you, you'll be eating your words," my mother replied.

"You think I'm afraid of you? Why won't you leave her alone? She's just trying to live a normal life,"

"What do you know? No child of mine will ever be called normal. Nicole is my daughter. I don't care what your relationship with her is, but it's obvious you're one of the reasons she's been a danger to herself,"

"What are you talking about?"

"Oh good, the police are here," my mother smiled.

I called the police to keep her away, so why was she smiling? My family had power, but I wasn't sure if bribing police officers was something she could pull in front of this many people.

The security walked them over to my door. One of the officers rang the doorbell, and I opened the mic on my end.

"Miss Banks, you made a report? Are you alright?" the police asked.

"Yes sir. They've been trying to break in here," I replied. "I want them gone."

"Officer, don't listen to her," my mother said. "She can't be by herself. This girl,"

"Ma'am, I'm going to need you and your men to vacate the premises if you don't want to get arrested," he said to my mom.

"Me? Get arrested?" my mother gasped. "Do you know who I am?"

"It doesn't matter. The owner of this apartment doesn't want you around. The building security and a few neighbours have called in a report based on your behaviour. You're causing a disturbance to the neighbours and we need you to leave. Since it's a misunderstanding, we don't have to detain you,"

"Detain me? That's my daughter in there! And she's a danger to herself. Will you take responsibility if she gets hurt? I came here to bring her home and you want me to leave?"

"Ma'am, your daughter is almost 24. She's a legal adult. I'm sure she'll be fine without you,"

"What if I have proof that I'm her legal guardian? Nicole has to be under my care. She's not in the right frame of mind right now."

"What nonsense are you pulling right now?!" Mia yelled.

"Please calm down. The police officer said to her, then he turned to my mom. "You need to explain further, ma'am."

"Curtis?" my mother said, extending her hand to him.

Curtis removed a piece of paper from the inner pocket of his suit and handed it to her. My mother gave it to the police with a smirk on her face. My heart thumped wildly in my chest. What was written on that piece of paper?

I should have known she would have a Plan B. She didn't seem scared enough to leave when she found out I called the police. She was only surprised. What was going on? I wanted to open the door and find out, but I stayed in.

Aiden said to stay locked in and Mia was here. It'll be over soon.

The police officer sighed after reading the contents of the paper and called in a report to cancel the backup they had requested. What did the paper say?

"Ma'am, you should have told us about this sooner. Nicole called the police because you scared her by barging in here," the officer said.

"What's going on here?" Mia asked. "My friend is not leaving with that woman,"

"We don't have a choice, ma'am," the police officer said, giving the paper to her. "It says here that she's psychologically challenged and can't be left by herself. She has to be sent back to the custody of her legal guardian until she is proven to be fit enough,"

"What nonsense are you on about? There is nothing wrong with Nicole. We've been friends for over a year and she's fine. She even has a job at a global tech company. I was with her all night! This is all this woman's scheme. Nicole is not mentally unwell!"

"I'm sorry, ma'am, we can't legally do anything about it," the police officer said. "However, instead of breaking the door down, the security should provide spare keys for the parent to get her child treated,"

"This is ridiculous! You're not taking Nicole anywhere!"

"Step aside," my mother said, pushing Mia. "Thank you very much, officer, for saving my daughter's life,"

The realisation of what happened hit me at once and I lost control of my body. My mother must have used my therapist and my childhood event to develop this scheme. She was back as my legal guardian. That was impossible.

I'm 23. She can't do this to me!

The more I thought about it, the more my thoughts faded. I could hear the security typing all my passcodes and pushing the door open, but I couldn't move to do anything. My body lay on the floor staring into nothingness. Was this really the end of everything? Why could I never escape her?

A lone cold tear rolled down the side of my face to the ground.

"Nicole!" I heard Mia scream.

She tried to hold me up in her arms, and I lost track of what happened next because my vision faded completely to darkness.

- # # # -

Song recommendation: Crystal Snow - BTS

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

5.8K 199 24
They're Back! Yasmine & The Blacks are back battling their toughest enemy yet, along with their own demons will they ever get their life of peace? C...
338K 12K 31
Cate, broken and hurting, has escaped to Phoenix to live with her father and start anew. Lakebay at one time was her home and safe haven. She lead a...
91.6K 3.7K 32
You can find yourself drowning in a relationship that's not healthy just because you're scared of getting hurt. That's not ok. We all need to feel lo...
130K 5.2K 46
Jo's brothers are his world. He's spent his entire life sacrificing everything to give them the life he's never had. Having battled through a horrifi...