Heads Will Roll | A Wolf Amon...

By Darth-Caillic

The Half Fable, Sunny Fei, goes to the one place where she thought none of her past mistakes could haunt her... More

Heads Will Roll: Faith and Lily
The Investigation Begins (.2)
That Lying Amphibian (.3)
Quick Drive in New York; Yeah Right (.4)
Horrific Self Analysis (.5)
People of Fabletown (.6)
Sicko's Heart (.7)
Say You're Joking (.8)
Decisions, Decisions (.9)
Witch Hunt (.10)
So Far From Home (.11)
Weeds and Wolves (.12)
The Princess and the Pig (.13)
Back to Work (.14)
Broken in More Ways Than One (.15)
Root of the Problem (.16)
Made Them Cry (.17)
Glass Houses (.18)
And They All Fall Down (.19)
For Lily. And Faith. (Final)

First Night on the Job (.1)

109 2 23
By Darth-Caillic

Trigger warnings going in: violence against sex workers, physical violence, choking, a person getting attacked with an axe, decapitated head.

also! A little thing, but I wanted to give non Australian readers a heads up: While I will be trying to have titles like Mom spelt the American way, for all other grammar I'll be sticking to Australian spellings. So rather than "realize" I'll be spelling it "realise" for example.

Would you believe there was once a secret town tucked away in Manhattan? Completely normal from the outside but was home to beings known as Fables. Cast out of their homelands because of war and disease. Now just trying to make it through the days.

No human (or Mundy, as the Fables liked to call us) was meant to know about this town. Despite this, information slipped through the cracks.

In most cases, if anything the Fables didn't want the world to know about did get out, it was covered up. Forgotten with a quick memory spell.

But some were determined. The connections they had formed with certain Fables were too strong. They refused to give up the precious memories of a friend or lover.

This was often how half-bloods came to be. At least, that's what they preferred to be called. A lot of Fabletown had less than civil names for them. The children of Fables and Mundies. Most could live without any contact with the Fables, but some weren't so lucky.

One of the unfortunate was Sunny Fei. A hero in our story.

Sunny looked down at the chicken scratch written on the back of her hand. Making sure she had the right time. She made her way down the hall to a door marked 'Business Office'. All while getting dirty looks from people lined up against the wall.

"Hey, lady! Get to the back of the line!" Sunny turned toward the voice.

"Sorry, I work here?" She told them. Somewhat bewildered.

The guy let out an annoyed huff as Sunny walked through the door.

"Good start," Sunny bitterly thought to herself.

As Sunny walked into the cavernous room, she looked around the place. She had forgotten how big it was since the last time she was there.

"Ms Fei?" A taller woman who Sunny recognised as Snow White made her way over. "Nice to see you again."

Sunny nodded to the other woman. "Likewise,"

A tall, grey-haired man started approaching her and White. He wore a pair of those tiny glasses that looked too small to work. Sunny remembered him as the one Aunt Cat couldn't stand. What was his name, Crane?

He similarly greeted Sunny to Snow. Offering her a friendly handshake.

"Is he here yet?" Sunny asked after a moment of silence. "The guy I'm supposed to working under, I mean?"

"Bigby should be here any minute," White told her.

Sunny didn't say anything to White, but she found it kinda weird that she hadn't met Bigby Wolf in person yet. Sure, you couldn't meet everyone during the 'interview process', but she was meant to be working directly with him. So you'd think he'd want to get a general idea of what Sunny was like before she even started work.

Soon enough, another man made his way into the office. Looking rather tired and pissed off. Sunny guessed that this was how he looked most days.

"Bigby!" White called out to him. "Come over here for a minute,"

Wolf gave her an annoyed look before he made his way over. He stared Sunny down as White introduced her.

The guy was almost a head taller than Sunny, or that's how it felt to her. She would be lying if she said he didn't intimidate her slightly.

"Meet your new deputy," White smiled.

"Sunny Fei. Nice to meet you," Sunny nodded to him. Hoping he wouldn't notice how shaky she was (which he absolutely did).

Wolf simply nodded his head in acknowledgement.

"You'll be helping Bigby with paperwork and providing him with backup when needed," White explained.

"Of course," Sunny answered as White guided her over to a nearby desk.

"Feel free to answer the phone if you're comfortable," White explained.

About 30 minutes later, Sunny was working through a whole pile of paperwork. See, this she could do. This was something she had experience in. She was still confused why the Mayor insisted on hiring her as a deputy. Wolf didn't seem to have any strong feelings about it. So it definitely wasn't his idea.

Cole once said something about how her powers could be 'a real asset to the community'. The problem was that she could barely use those powers. Let alone control them, especially in the middle of the city.

But Sunny didn't have much of a choice in the matter. Her family had 'debts' to pay, and this job was how it would get done.

And while she hadn't mentioned it to any of the Fables outside her family, this town was a good place to hide. Something she and her kid definitely needed to do for a few months.

"Business Office, how can I help you?" Sunny answered the phone after two rings.

The voice on the other end of the line started yelling about someone causing a ruckus on the second floor of his tenement building. 'Mr Toad' demanded someone come over and put a stop to it.

Sunny jotted down the address and told Toad she would see what she could do. Then, she took the note to Wolf to see what he wanted to do with it.

He started heading out of the office. Bringing Sunny along, to her surprise.

"Oh right... I'm the backup," Sunny reminded herself during the painfully quiet cab ride over to the South Bronx.

Once the cab had reached the Bronx, Sunny paid the cabbie as Wolf stared at the building while lighting a smoke for himself. Sunny handed him the note when he was done so that he could confirm it for himself.

As they walked over to the building in question, Sunny couldn't help but think about how out of her element she must have looked. She had worked as a stenographer for most of her adult life. Not a damn roundsman.

They opened the front door to find a humanoid toad looking up the stairwell.

"Mr Toad," Wolf greeted him.

"Shit!" Toad muttered under his breath. "Bigby! Listen, mate, I know I don't look human. It's a problem, I get it; I just stepped out the apartment for a second to see what kind of damage this drunk shit is doing."

Toad pleaded with Wolf to cut him a break. Promising that he would get glamoured in the morning.

"I'll give you a pass, but listen," Wolf explained. If you can't afford to look human, you're going to The Farm. It's as simple as that.

"You can't send me up to live with those animals," Toad argued. Only get a smirk in return.

Sunny was ashamed to admit that she almost laughed at the statement's irony but kept her mouth shut.

"You know what I mean," Toad frowned.

"Go see a witch. Get a glamour."

"Bigby, they're bleedin' me dry, mate. The quality of the spell goes down, but the rates keep climbing up. Do you have any idea how much it costs to have an entire family in glamour?"

Sunny flinched at the smashing sounds that came from upstairs as Wolf and Toad kept talking.

"I don't make the rules. Sorry. I can't give you a free pass on this, Toad." Bigby told the bipedal frog. "My hands are tied."

Before Toad could respond, a TV came crashing down from the second floor. Causing Sunny to jump away in surprise.

"Fuckin' hell. See? This is what I called you about, Sheriff." Toad ranted.

Wolf tossed his cigarette aside and started heading up the stairs. "I should probably go handle this."

"Yes, please. Thank you." Toad waved as Sunny followed Wolf up the stairs. Frowning once they were out of sight.

"Furry pricked gobshite... tell me how to spend my money," Sunny overheard Toad.

"Delightful," Sunny rolled her eyes.

"Dad? The lights are shaking again." A younger voice called out.

"What'd I say? You want the Big Bad Wolf to take you away?"

"No."

"Then get the fuck back inside."

Sunny grimaced when hearing all of that. It was clear that Mr Toad had some choice words about her new boss.

"So, how do you wanna go about this?" Sunny asked as she picked up a matchbook from the floor.

"Just gonna knock," Wolf answered.

"Very straightforward, I see," Sunny jested.

Wolf knocked on the door once, then a second time, but harder. After no response, he opened it, and they peeked inside.

"Goddamn, you!" A large bearded man shouted as she slapped a woman across the face.

Sunny and Wolf ran into the room. Wolf moved to pin the man against the wall, and Sunny ran over to the woman.

"Are you alright?" Sunny asked the woman. Trying not to sound too panicked.

"Just one second," The woman told Sunny as she moved toward the man. "You got something on your face."

"Fuck are you talking about, you stupid cu-" The man shouted before the girl spat blood in his face.

"I'll fuckin' kill you. You fucker!" He shouted again as Sunny moved in front of the girl.

"Alright, everyone just c-'' Wolf tried to say. Only to receive a headbutt. Making him stumble back.

"What are you gonna fuckin' do? Huh? Get the fuck out of the way before you get the axe again."

"Woody, this is your last warning. If you keep on like this, I won't have any choice but to put you down."

"Put ME down? You've got a shit fuckin' memory, Wolf. That's not how it went last time."

"This isn't last time."

Sunny and the woman watched as the two men started beating the crap out of each other. Throwing punches and trying to kick at the other's knees.

"Back off, asshole!" The woman told Woody after Wolf threw him against a bookshelf beside them.

Sunny's eyes snapped to the door, wondering if she could get herself and the woman out safely. She decided against it. Realising they were liable to get crushed if they moved from their current spot.

At some point, Woody moved to grab an axe on the other side of the room. Swinging it at Wolf. Who dodged and wrestled for the axe against the taller man. Wolf then hit Woody in the stomach. Causing Woody to let go. Then, seeing an opening, Wolf smashed the blunt side of the blade on the bald man's head.

He then fell to the floor with a groan.

"You...should probably get out of here," Wolf told the two of them as he tossed the axe aside.

"Look, I'm not leaving until I get what's mine." The woman told him.

"You're not getting shit, bitch. I'll fucking put you in the ground. You hear me?" Woody slurred.

"Haven't you had enough?" Sunny asked the beaten man.

"Fucking...shit. He broke my jaw, you bastard."

"And still you talk." Wolf sighed. "What the hell is going on? What happened?"

"A little misunderstanding that turned into a real shit show. Don't worry. You saw all the best bits." She told him.

"There's more where that came from, girlie," Woody grumbled from the ground.

"Just keep your mouth shut, you," Sunny curled her lip at him. Annoyed by how cavalier Woody was being towards the woman.

"Look, this is just the start of a shitty night for me. I just need the money he owes me; then I can go." She told them.

"Are you sure you're alright?" Sunny asked again.

"I'm hunky-dory. Thanks for asking," She smirked.

"What's your name?" Wolf questioned.

"Whatever you'd like it to be, handsome." She smiled.

"Don't make this more difficult than it has to be."

"Sorry, Sheriff. Wouldn't want to add any difficulty to your night." The woman rolled her eyes.

"Why was he hitting you?" Sunny asked.

"He asked me if I recognised him...knew who he was... I said that I didn't. He started beating on me. Then you showed up started he beating on him. That about cover it, hon?"

"Just about,"

"I'm the Woodsman, you whore... I saved Little Red Riding Hood from this...monster," Woody ranted as he gestured to Wolf. "I cut this fucker open...and filled his belly full of-"

Sunny cringed as Woody popped his dislocated jaw back into place.

"-stones. AND THREW HIM IN THE FUCKING RIVER. That's who the fuck I am, you stupid bitch!"

"Doesn't ring a bell," Sunny sarcastically told him. Not wanting to fuel this man's ego in any way.

"Would you two excuse me for a moment?" Wolf said as Woody started getting back up.

"By all means," The woman shrugged.

Wolf and Woody started going at it again. Only to end up flinging each other though the wall and down to the street.

Sunny and the woman watched as Woody dragged Wolf off the car, choking him against a nearby bus stop.

Sunny sprung into action. Grabbing the discarded axe and running down the stairs. By the time she got outside, Wolf had looked just about dead.

"I'll put you out of your misery. You fucking mongrel...you ignorant fuck...."

Sunny lifted the axe above her head. Somewhat hesitating at the sight of Wolf's now yellow eyes and sharp fangs.

"Come on out, Wolf."

Sunny shook her head and swung the axe down on Woody's head with a loud thunk.

Woody stubbled to the ground. Wolf stood there composing himself as Sunny stepped back. Shocked that she even managed what she did in the first place.

"Nicely done," The woman joked from behind Sunny. Making Sunny let out a small surprised shout.

The three of them watched as Woody slowly crawled along the sidewalk. Then, when his body gave out, the woman started to search his pockets.

"Thanks..." Wolf said to Sunny.

"No problem," Sunny replied with a slight shake in her voice. "You alright back there? I mean... Your eyes...and the teeth," Sunny asked awkwardly.

"It's fine-" Wolf told her.

"Great," The woman huffed when only finding a few coins. She tossed them away and started kicking Woody in the ribs.

"The guy's got an axe in his brain. He's not feeling that."

"It's more for me. He'll be fine."

"I'll kill you. You fuckin' bitch." Woody slurred once again.

"He doesn't know when to stop, does he?" Sunny looked on in disappointment.

"Let me help you with that," The woman said as she pressed her heel against the axe.

"Guy's havin' a bad day," Wolf said.

"That makes two of us. I guess it's a good thing Fables are hard to kill."

"I guess so," Sunny rubbed her arm nervously.

Sunny and the woman approached the steps as Wolf pulled the axe out of Woody's head. The woman cursed under her breath as she tried lighting a cigarette with little success.

Sunny handed her the matchbook she had found earlier.

"Thanks..."

"Who do you work for?" Sunny tried asking.

"These lips are sealed...sorry."

The woman paused momentarily, then gestured to the purple ribbon around her neck. "Hey, you like my ribbon?"

"Um, yeah, it's lovely," Sunny answered. Somewhat taken aback by the out-of-nowhere question.

"Thank you," She smiled.

"I feel like we've met before," Wolf wondered aloud as he approached them.

"We probably have. We all sort of knew each other at one point or another... but you?" The woman said as she started at Sunny.

"Yeah... I'm new,"

"What the hell does that mean?"

"It's... I'm half Mundy," Sunny told her as she fiddled with her watch.

"Oh shit," The woman widened her eyes in surprise.

"Yeah, that's how they normally react," Sunny sighed. Fidgeting uncomfortably under the woman's gaze.

"Ah, shit," Wolf said when he realised Woody had disappeared.

He started walking away, only for the woman to grab him by the wrist. "Stop. We don't have to make any more of a thing out of it than it already is."

"He hit you. He needs to pay for that."

"He's got nothin' to give, Sheriff. I checked. Besides, your friend just swung an axe into the guy's head...I'm satisfied."

Wolf paused for a moment. "Maybe I should be arresting you."

"I'm not gonna be doing this for much longer. So now's your chance." She explained while letting go of Wolf's hand.

"How much was it he owed you?"

"A hundred,"

"And I'm guessing it'd be bad for you to show up empty-handed?" Sunny asked.

"I'll be fine," she smiled.

Wolf started digging through his pockets to find some spare money. At the same time, Sunny reached down and pulled her shoe off. Taking some notes out of it. Much to the woman's and Wolf's surprise.

"You just walk around with money in your shoe?" Wolf asked in confusion.

"People don't think to take shoes when mugging you," Sunny stated nonchalantly.

This caused the woman to let out a genuine laugh at the two. All together, Wolf and Sunny had around 90 dollars for her.

"It's okay. I'll be fine. You two have done enough. Really."

"Just...take the money, okay?" Wolf told her.

"You got me out of a bad situation back there...thanks," She said as she tucked the money into her top.

"We're still gonna need a statement," Wolf told her.

"I have to go drop off...what I have." She told him.

"Meet us back at my office, then,"

"It's a little late for an office visit, Sheriff. I'll swing by your apartment."

"How do you know where I-"

"You live in the smallest apartment in the Woodlands. Everyone knows that"

"Oh... lovely," Sunny grimaced. If everyone knew where she lived... Well, the thought of it kinda made her sick.

"You should get him cleaned up." The woman told Sunny. "He looks like shit. And I don't use that term lightly."

Sunny looked Wolf over. She reached out to inspect the bruises all over his face.

"Some of these do look pretty bad," Sunny agreed.

"Wow...tell me what you really think," Wolf joked.

"Hey... I need to tell you something." The woman said. Placing her hand on Wolf's shoulder.

"What is it?"

Sunny watched the woman whisper something in Wolf's ear before kissing his cheek and walking off. Making Sunny tilt her head curiously.

"I'll see you two around." The woman said. Waving goodbye as she walked down the street. Leaving the two standing there in complete silence.

By the time they returned to the Woodlands, it was nearly 3 in the morning. Sunny could feel her eyelids getting heavy as they walked through the front gate. Her body wasn't used to doing night shifts yet. Damn her 9 to 5 brain.

Sunny started walking on the bricks outlining the grass next to the path. A habit she admittedly picked up from Liena.

"Careful, Snow can sometimes be a disciplinarian," Wolf told her as they passed a sign marked 'STAY OFF THE GRASS!'

"I'll be sure to keep that in mind," Sunny smiled but stopped when she heard a rustling coming from behind her.

The two of them turn to see someone duck behind a nearby tree.

"Come on out," Wolf told them.

"Alright...alright," A pale blonde woman stepped out from behind the tree.

"Beauty," Wolf greeted. Somewhat surprised to see her.

"Hello, Bigby," Beauty said as she stepped out of the bushes. Turning her head to Sunny. "You're... you're that half Mundy girl?"

"Just call me Sunny," The younger woman smiled (though it didn't reach her eyes). "It's much quicker."

Beauty started looking back and forth between them. "I...wasn't expecting anyone. I know this looks a little odd, but there's an explanation. I swear."

"So...where you off to?" Wolf asked.

"Well, I went for a walk. I don't see what's wrong with that-"

"Didn't say there was."

"It's not a big deal. Just...you know...out. For a walk. That's all," Beauty tensed up while checking her watch. "Damn it. I'm late."

Beauty started walking away but looked back at the sheriff and his deputy.

"Can you two promise me you won't tell Beast you saw me? He worries too much as it is, and... It would just make my life a lot easier. Just, please... Promise me," Beauty begged.

"I'm not saying anything," Sunny said bluntly. One of the last things she was interested in was getting involved in the issues of a married couple she didn't even know.

"I don't have time to go into it right now," Beauty said to Wolf.

"It's fine, Beauty," Wolf assured her. "We won't say anything."

"Thank you," Beauty smiled. "I'll explain it all to you later. I will, but I have to go."

The three of them went their separate ways. With Beauty heading out the front gate and Sunny and Wolf heading for the door to the Woodlands.

"You look tired," Bigby said to Sunny.

"You're one to talk," Sunny smiled.

"You can head home if you want," Wolf told Sunny as they waited for the elevator.

"I dunno; I wanna make sure you get back to your apartment without passing out," Sunny replied.

"I'll be fine, really,"

"Sorry to be a pain in the ass, but for my own peace of mind," Sunny explained. "You did get thrown out a second-story window less than 30 minutes ago. Let me walk with you to the door, and then you're free to pass out until your new friend arrives."

"... thanks," Wolf said as he pushed the button for his floor.

As the door started to close, someone came running down the stairs. He stopped by the elevator and caught the closing door.

"Have you seen my wife? Have you seen Beauty?" The tall, buff man asked.

The two of them stood there in silence as the door closed again. Sunny heard a quiet 'Motherfucker' as they did.

As promised, Sunny walked Wolf to his apartment door. She wished him a good night and told them to get some rest.

Sunny was quick to drop by the business office to grab her things. Hoping to get out of the building without running into Beauty's husband again.

Thankfully luck was on her side when she made it back to her apartment without incident.

The only thing she kept forgetting about was the elevator in Liddell Heights had been broken since she, Liena and Catriona had moved there.

Sunny silently made her way through the door. Knowing that Liena should hopefully be asleep by that point in the morning.

"You survived," A voice from the couch jested.

"Not tried?" Sunny asked her aunt.

An olive-skinned woman with hazelnut brown hair leaned up from her resting position.

"I wanted to make sure you came back alive," She told Sunny. "Liena's out like a rock, though."

"Well, that's good to hear," Sunny sighed as she sat beside her aunt.

Catriona had been a godsend for the last couple of months. Despite her aunt's apprehensions about returning to Fabletown, she had done everything she could to help Sunny and Liena.

"So, how is the old dog?" Catriona asked.

"Not... what I expected,"

"Is that so?"

"He got into a fistfight with a bald guy and got thrown out a second-story window."

"If you're talking about who I think you are, then nothing has really changed around here."

The two talked for a few more minutes before heading off to bed. Sunny face planted into the bed. Not even bothering to pull the blankets over her. Her mind drifted as she fell asleep. To her mother, Liena's father, and most painful of all, her own father.

Sunny managed to get a few good hours of sleep, only to be woken up by the phone ringing.

"Hello?" Sunny answered. She was having a hard time keeping her eyes open.

"Sunny, is that you?" White's voice asked.

"Yeah, what's wrong?" Sunny asked.

"I need you to come over to the Woodlands now,"

"What's going on?" Sunny asked again.

"Someone's been murdered," Snow told her. "Please, can you get here as soon as you can?"

"I'll head over now," Sunny said despite wanting to ask more questions.

Sunny made her way over to the Woodlands for the third time that night. Trying to mentally prepare herself for what she was about to see. However, she didn't try hard enough.

Much to her horror, she arrived at the Woodlands to find the woman she and Wolf had talked to a few hours ago. Well, her head was, at least, which had been placed on steps outside the glass door.

"Fucking hell," Sunny whispered to herself.

Hey! Welcome to Heads Will Roll. There's not going to be a lot of canon divergence in this first part, but if I end up writing future parts, it will probably stray from the original plot quite a bit.

If you've read the old version of this fic before I deleted it, you might remember me saying I've never read the Fables comics... welp still haven't done that, and still aren't planning to.

There are certain things I'll borrow from it, but for the most part, it just doesn't seem like something I'd enjoy reading. (like any time I hear about Bigby and Snow's romance, it takes a week off my life).

Anyway, I'll be posting a chapter every week on Friday (AEST time, so that's a Thursday for most of my audience). Comments are appreciated <3

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

130 8 12
(Reupload since I lost password to my previous wattpad account) Rika Furude has experienced tragedy for over one hundred years. One fateful night, he...
89 19 22
⚠️WARNING ⚠️ This story can be upsetting to some. please follow the graphic content warning of this story. This particular story deals with issues s...
7.1K 215 21
This story begins in Fable Town where they come childhood stories years later eventually the fables would fear of being noticed by the humans soon Fa...
2.1K 1K 80
Ranked #1 on Wattpad for "Cosmic Horror" and "Thought-provoking" Categories " When Rosie was younger, she'd always ask me why I spend so much time ou...