Mark of an Alpha's Queen

By the_atticwriter

COMPLETED ✔️ Previously known as Catch Cassandra and Jace... Remember how their story went? But hold on... t... More

Part I - Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Bonus Chapter
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Bonus Chapter
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Bonus Chapter
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Bonus Chapter
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Bonus Chapter
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Bonus Chapter
Part II - Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Christmas Bonus Chapter
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Bonus Chapter
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Bonus Chapter
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Bonus Chapter
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Bonus Chapter
Part III - Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Bonus Chapter
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Bonus Chapter
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Epilogue

Chapter 9

48 17 6
By the_atticwriter

☆ Noah's POV

I carefully lead Milton through the construction area to the other side where his mother's office is.

“You think this is a great idea, champ?” I ask as we stand behind her office door.

“Yes, mom loves surprises”.

Flowers and chocolate and puppies but not the one other man after that ass of a king she hated.

“Don't be nervous, dad” he smiles at me. “If you want, I'll hold your hand as mom does to mine when we go see the dentist”.

“You don't have to be scared to go to the dentist, champ”.

“Oh I'm not. Mom is the terrified one. So I hold her hand and she feels better”.

Her childhood fear.

I chuckle.

“Let's go then”.

He rattles on the door and I turn it.

“May I come in?” he asks, poking his little face through the door.

“Of course, sweetie. You may...”.

Milton opens the door wider and I step in. Her smile falters but she holds it for our son.

“Did you have fun at the planetarium?” she asks kissing him before ruffling his hair.

“Yes, but next time you have to come with us”.

She smiles.

“I'm almost done with my work here so next time, it'll just be the two of us back home... like always”.

“And dad?”.

Hearing him call me that made her mad. I loved that our son wanted me in the picture. But Alexis? If looks could kill, I'd be dead.

“So, what do you want to do for your birthday tomorrow?” Alexis asks instead, avoiding the question.

I chuckle lightly.

“Eat Mac and Cheese and watch SpongeBob”.

She laughs.

“But dad said we should do something together as a family... just the three of us. And I like the three of us together so let's do his idea”.

She gives me the look, then a tight smile follows.

“Alina's been discharged from the hospital. Why don't you go ask Yara to take you to see how she's doing after the surgery” she suggests.

“Can I bring her some of the really good chocolates dad got for us last week?” he chirps.

“Of course, sweetie”.

She kisses him and he runs up to give me a quick hug before bolting out the door.

“You didn't like the idea of the three of us doing something together for his birthday?” I ask, folding my arms.

She doesn't look up from her tablet.

“You brought him back safe and sound. I counted the hair on his head and not one's been lost. We don't have to talk, Noah” she replies.

I chuckle.

“This is about our son's birthday and the first time I'm present for something like this”.

She looks at me.

“You should be ashamed to even say that out loud,” she tells me. “Seven years, Noah. One, two, three, four, five, six, seven, Noah. Seven” she holds out her fingers. “And you want to make this about how you feel?”.

I frown. Her attitude these last few weeks was unbelievable.

“At least I'm here now” I defend. “What if I didn't realize my mistakes and want to be part of my kid's life? Then?”.

“Then I would be the happiest mother on earth, Noah. I won't lie”.

I chuckle angrily.

“We're having a family dinner, Alexis. That's what we're doing tomorrow night”.

She smiles. Like she knew something I didn't.

“That's not going to be possible because the royal family is throwing my son a birthday party”.

I frown.

“What? Why?”.

“They just admire the fine young man my son is turning out to be as he is being raised by his mother who's also his father”.

I arch a brow.

“All in one?”.

“All he needs” she retorts.

She wasn't going to let this slide.

“Well I don't think so, Alexis. They can't just decide for our son”.

She folds her arms and gives me a look.

“And you didn't decide for him by putting the whole 'the three of us' crap in his head?” she asks.

“He asked for my thoughts and I gave a suggestion”.

“Not your worst but hey, we can't all be winners”.

I chuckle, shake my head and look at her.

“You really hate me, don't you?”.

“For putting me in the situation to watch my son suffer? Yes, Noah. I hate you. And for Malia springing this up on me in front of the entire royal family and causing me to air out our dirty laundry, yes Noah, I despise you”.

I sigh.

“Alexis, I've apologized a thou...”.

She closes her eyes and lifts a hand.

“I need to work, Noah. I want to finish this up and get out of here with my son so please... don't let the door hit you on your way out” she says.

I flex my jaw and nod.

“I'm going to have a talk with King Colton”.

✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ 

☆ Alexis' POV

“I know what I want to do for my birthday,” Milton says and stops jumping on my bed as I walk out of the bathroom.

“What is it, sweetie?” I ask, checking my teeth in the vanity mirror.

I forgot to floss.

I sigh.

“I want a party,” he says.

“That's already been established, Mill. The royal family is throwing you the best party tomorrow so you've got nothing to worry about. And I can stand the idea of not getting stressed with planning a birthday party just for this year”.

I walk back into the bathroom and Milton follows me.

“Two parties,” he says.

I chuckle between my flossing.

“You're turning seven, sweetie. Not sixty”.

He sighs.

“Mom, it's really important that I have two parties”.

“Why is that?”.

“Well when I went to see Alina today, she was sad. She still couldn't see”.

“Sweetie, stuff like this takes a lot of time and patience, okay? She's started physical therapy for her legs hasn't she?”.

He nods.

“And she's going to be the guest of honor at your party. So cheer up” I smile.

He swings his foot.

“Mom, I know there are other kids like me who are going through therapy and others who can't see like Alina. I know that for them to get better, it'll take a lot of time”.

“So why exactly are you having this conversation then, Mill?” I ask, trying to understand what was happening.

“Because I wanna help them feel better”.

He doesn't mean it as becoming a doctor, right?

“Mom, I wanna have my birthday at the children's ward and cheer up all the children there”.

I rinse my mouth and wash my hands.

“Why?”.

“Because I... because it'll make me feel better to know that someone smiled because of me. I could donate my old toys and books too... Alina said she'd ask her father if she could donate her old stuff too”.

I take a good look at him and lower myself to the ground.

“Milton...”.

“You always tell me laughter is the best medicine whenever I get sick so maybe a laugh or a smile is what those kids need to feel better and make me feel better”.

I feel my eyes sting with tears and I nod.

“Okay. We'll have your party at the children's hospital” I whisper.

“Really?”.

I nod, trying not to cry. Milton grins and hugs me. I squeeze him and pepper his head with kisses.

“You are the most thoughtful almost seven-year-old I have ever known” I chuckle through my tears.

“You thought me well, mommy” he whispers and squeezes me even tighter.

*******************

“That was so much fun! Did you see how that big kid smiled when I gave him my plane?” Milton chuckles.

“No, but I could feel his excitement” Alina chuckles along.

I smile at the two of them as they continue to chat and giggle.

“Did you two have fun?” Malia asks, ruffling Milton's hair.

“Tons of fun” he giggles.

My phone rings and I step to the side to answer it.

“Hi, mom”.

“Is that grandma?!” Milton chirps as Marla comes to fetch Alina, wheeling her away.

“Bye Alexandra. See you at the party”.

I wiggle my fingers in her direction, a part of me wishing her sight would just return.

“Is it grandma?” Milton repeats.

I nod.

“He's in high spirits today” mom chuckles.

“Isn't he every day?” I laugh.

“Your dad was wondering if you'd be back in time for his grandmother's birthday”.

She's still alive?

“Um yeah. We should be... Milton get off the couch!” I scold. “The project's almost done so yeah we'll be there”.

“You don't have to if you can't, you know?”.

“Mom” I chuckle.

“What? I don't even see the need to throw that woman a party”.

“Can't you two just settle your feud already?”.

“I've got nothing to say to her, Alexis,” mom tells me.

“Your mother's right, pumpkin” my dad adds in. “I'm certain the moment they settle their differences, it'll be the end”.

“For someone” mom finishes.

I chuckle.

“Okay, you two. I've gotta go get Milton ready for his party. The birthday boy can't be late” I say loud enough to get Milton to stop messing around with the TV remote.

“Haven't you learned anything from your sister, sweetie?” mom chuckles. “Being fashionably late is on time”.

“He just turned seven mom. And Mia has two daughters. They'll grasp it fine” I say. “Now, I gotta go”.

“Send us lots of pictures okay?” dad says.

“I will, grandpa” I reply. “Love you”.

The doorbell rings just as I'm ending the door.

“Woah, woah, woah, woah, get back here” I stop Milton. “What have I told you about answering the door?”.

He sighs dramatically.

“Good. Now go wait for me in the bathroom”.

“Yes mom”.

I kiss the top of his head and wait till he's safely inside before I open the door.

“Jared” I smile.

Wait.

“Jared?” I ask, confused.

“I kinda prefer the first expression” he chuckles.

“What are you doing here? And with flowers?”.

“Oh, I just...”.

“You bought a seven-year-old flowers and you forgot to include his mother?” I smile.

He lets out an embarrassed laugh.

“Come on in”.

He steps in and I close the door.

“Actually, these aren't for Milton”.

“Oh?” I chuckle and hold out my hands to take the flowers.

“They aren't for you either”.

Oh.

I withdraw my hand.

“I got them for Mal”.

“Mal?” I question. “As in, Malia?”.

He nods.

“The witch?”.

“Yes, that witch” he chuckles.

I cross my arms.

“And you know her how?”.

“She told you I drove her and Noah to the palace, right?”.

“A very stupidly kind gesture but yes. And I thought that was it”.

He chuckles and scratches his cheek.

“No, she and I have been hanging out lately”.

I arch a brow.

“Nothing scandalous or suspicious. We're just friends” he chuckles again.

“I see,” I say and nod. “I hope you're not doing what I think you are, Jare”.

“They're just flowers, Alexis” he smiles confidently.

“I'll go get her then. Please sit. You know where everything is”.

I wait for him to nod before I walk away to go look for Malia. I find her in Yara's room all dolled up.

“Well, this isn't scandalous or suspicious at all” I scoff.

Yara steps away from her and Malia turns to face me.

“I'll go start Mill's bath,” Yara says glancing in between us before leaving.

“You look really pretty, Mal,” I say.

She smiles.

“Oh, I forgot to tell you. I'm going out for cocktails with a friend” she says.

“No name?” I ask.

“Just an old friend from high school”.

I arch an amused brow.

“An old friend?” I ask.

“Yeah. Don't worry about it though. I'll be back in time before the party ends”.

“Wow,” I chuckle.

She sighs.

“Okay, in time before you sing happy birthday to Milton”.

I nod.

“By the way, Jared is waiting for you in the living room with flowers so you might wanna cancel with 'YOUR'...” I air quote, “... old friend from high school”.

Her expression changes. Malia opens her mouth to talk but no words come out.

She's never been speechless.

I sigh and just shake my head.

“Just be careful okay, Mal?” I say softly. “I mean it. Just be careful”.

She smiles.

“When am I not?”.

✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ 

✩ Shannon's POV

Everyone cheers as the now seven-year-old blows out his candles. I stand in the corner, smiling to myself as I watch them.

“You know, it was really sweet of you to personally throw the boy this party”.

I shrug.

“It was fun” I admit. “And he's a good kid with a good heart... like his mother. And at least I'm trying to fully get Alexis to forgive me. I can't say the same for you though, brother”.

He chuckles.

“I see what's happening here”.

“If it's the fact that you're being a complete idiot then don't worry about it. We all see it too” I say, my eyes still fixed on the little boy.

“You're attached” Derek lets out.

I furrow my brows in amusement.

“What?”.

“You're attached to the child... the boy”.

I scoff.

“Have you gone mental?”.

“You're not?” he laughs.

“No. I just told you he's a good kid. And it's just a birthday party. He deserves it”.

And so much more I'd gladly and very willingly give him.

“Okay,” he says. “Then you won't be bothered hearing that his mother is almost through with the project and in less than a week, they'll be out of here”.

I frown.

“Wait, what?” I ask, turning to him.

He smirks.

“I thought you weren't bothered”.

“I'm not” I defend. “I'm just... surprised”.

Derek chuckles.

“You don't have to lie to me, Shan. I'm your elder brother. I know you”.

I look at Milton and back at my brother.

“And it's okay to be attached to the kid. He's... special that way”.

His eyes are fixed on Milton now.

“And I have a few ideas on how they can stay longer”.

“Don't do anything stupid, Derek. I'm serious” I warn.

He chuckles.

“You don't have to pretend with me. I know deep down you want him around... all for yourself”.

I make a face.

“Just say the word, and I'll make sure they never leave. Oh and if you want, I can equally get rid of his parents too. All I have to do is not miss my shot this ti...”.

I smack his arm.

“Don't you dare do anything to hurt the child or his parents, Derek. You do not want to get on my bad side”.

“Ouu so much fire for a kid?” he teases. “He would be in great hands if you were his mother”.

I feel a ting in my chest and I glare at him.

“Don't make me regret being your sister, Derek” I say and walk away from him.

But he was right. Milton would be in great hands if I were his mother. And although I knew it was wrong, the idea of me becoming his mother excited me.

“Shannon!”.

I blink and look up at Colton.

“I've been calling you for a while now. Where's your head at?” he asks.

I shake my head.

“Nothing. I was just thinking about Alina's surgery”.

I rub the back of my neck.

“Colton, are we doing something wrong?” I sigh.

He looks at me like he's confused.

“You're concerned?” he asks.

I give him a look.

“Of course I'm concerned. She's my daughter” I say. “And I know I haven't been the best mother but... I'm trying now”.

He just nods.

“Her physiotherapy is going great. Last week she stood on her own for a minute”.

“Really?” I arch a brow.

“Mm-hm. You should come with us to her next therapy session. Who knows? She could stand for two... or five”.

I chuckle.

“I see what you're doing, Colton”.

He shrugs.

“I don't know what you're talking about”.

I smile. The man from the dinner catches my eye and I fully glance at him.

“Do you think she's ever going to forgive him?” I ask.

Colton follows my gaze to where Noah is standing with Alexis and she looks upset.

“I don't know,” he says. “He spoke to me yesterday and he's got quite the temper”.

I chuckle.

“You're one to talk,” I say.

Colton looks away from them and at me.

“What do you think?” he asks. “Do you think she's ever going to forgive him?”.

He looks back at them and I do too. Milton is standing beside them, grinning from ear to ear as his parents slow dance. I shrug.

“I dunno. I haven't exactly been in that kind of situation before so”.

I look at Colton who tightens his jaw and chuckle.

“She's not going to forgive you that easily either if that's what you're wondering”.

He looks at me and I nod.

“You should try to talk to her. Let her know that you're still sorry” I say.

He chortles.

“When he's around? Please”.

I fully turn to him.

“Are you afraid of getting your ass kicked by Noah?”.

“He's a full-blood primordial, Shannon”.

“That's not a very good excuse” I tease.

He huffs.

“I'm not afraid. I'm king. Kings are not afraid of anything”.

“Rightttt” I drag. “Go interrupt their dance and talk to Alexis then”.

He blinks.

“Now?”.

“Now,” I say and slip my hand behind him to give him a gentle shove. “Go”.

“Maybe I should wait for...”.

“Look at her,” I say and gesture to Alexis. “She literally has invisible smoke coming out of her ears. Trust me. You'd be doing her a favor by interrupting. And besides... you're king aren't you?”.

He sighs.

“If this goes wrong...”.

“You dated her, Colton. Man up” I cut him off and turn away.

✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽ ✽  

☆ Alexis' POV

“You should dip her, dad” Milton giggles.

“Try that and I'll sweep the floor with your ass” I growl through the mind-link.

“Maybe another time, champ” Noah smiles at him.

“Baby, is this really necessary?” I ask.

He grins wider at me.

“Yes. I want my parents to dance together under the stars”.

I sigh and look up at the ceiling.

These weren't even real stars.

“Get closer, mommy” Milton whines and gives me a shove, making my chest hit Noah's.

He tightens his grip on me and smiles.

“I should do more than dip you right now” he whispers.

I chuckle lightly and roll my eyes.

“Wait, wait. I need my camera!” Milton cries.

I look at him.

“Who got you a camera?”.

“I did”.

Of course, you did, Noah.

“I'll go get it right now. Don't move, mom!” he instructs.

Why was he directing everything to me?

I watch him run off. Once he's out of the hall, I push away from Noah.

“He said not to move”.

I look at Noah.

“You don't actually believe I want to be close to you, right?” I ask. “If I am, it's actually because of my son”.

“There you go again with the 'my' Alexis” he huffs.

“Possessive determiners, Noah” I smile. “If Milton were standing here, he'd give you an entire lecture on it. You know why? Because my son is smart like that”.

“Say it until you believe it, Alexis. But the truth still stands. He's our...” he gestures to the space in between us, “... our son”.

I stop smiling and frown.

“You should go,” I say.

“No” he's quick to reply. “You can push me out of your life if you want. But I'm not letting you keep me away from our son”.

I arch a brow.

“That's right. I'm not selfish like you” he adds.

“Am I interrupting?”.

We turn to see Colton.

“No” I quickly answer before Noah can step possesively in front of me.

Noah gives me an angry look.

“Noah here was just going to go get Milton so he can come open his presents. It's getting late and the rest of the kids look tired” I say, glancing around.

Noah scoffs nastily and glares at Colton before walking away.

“Yeesh. He does not like me” Colton chuckles.

“Thanks for the save but I think we don't have anything to talk about either, Colton,” I say.

He looks at me.

“How'd you know I wanted to talk to you?”.

“Isn't that all you've been trying to do since I got here?” I ask, crossing my arms.

He chuckles.

“Okay, you got me. But actually, I came here for another reason” he smiles.

“Which is?”.

“To ask you to dance”.

I chuckle.

“Colton...”.

“Shushhh” he whispers and slowly takes my hand in his. “I've got this”.

He was doing it. He was trying to reenact our prom night!

I chuckle.

“I know what you're trying to do, Colton,” I say as we fall in step with the rhythm.

He chuckles and draws me close to his chest.

“Is it working?” he asks.

“No” I laugh, shaking my head.

My hair falls over the side of my face, blocking an eye. I attempt to withdraw my hand to brush away the hair, but Colton clutches tighter onto it.

Oh lord.

He gently lays my hand back on his shoulder and delicately tucks my hair behind my ear. He smiles at me and I can't help but smile back.

“You're still really beautiful, Alexandra” he whispers as his eyes twinkle.

“You do know your plan's still not working, right?”.

“I've never been one to quit”.

I make a face.

“You quit on what we had, Colton,” I say with a small smile.

He sighs.

“I didn't...”.

“We always have a choice, Colton” I cut him off, knowing that was what he was going to say.

He looks at me.

“I didn't have much of a choice then,” he says.

“You still don't now”.

He leans closer to me.

“Alexis I...”.

A loud crash echoes through the hall and the ground shakes. Everyone stops what they're doing and I pull away from Colton.

“Oh, my goodness. What was that?” Zariana asks, coming up to us.

I scan the room. Why wasn't Milton back yet? And where was Noah?

“Your majesty, we might be under attack. We need to get you and the rest of the royal family to safety” I hear Trent say.

“Well, where's Alina?” Queen Mirabel's worried voice reaches my ears.

“And where's Milton?” Shannon and I ask at the same time.

I look at her and she stares back.

“Alexis!” Yara screamed, rushing through the door.

She had this look on his face and a pit formed in my stomach.

“Where's Milton?” I ask.

“The brick partition...” she pants, her voice quivering. “It collapsed and fell on the kids”.

Thank you for reading!
Vote, comment, and recommend.
See you in the next chapter.
Byeeeee!
~the_atticwriter

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

158K 5.6K 28
Book 1 of Royalty Changes "I Alpha Ethan Star reject you, Lillia Lexis as my mate," Ethan said I feel sad and heartbroken at that moment. My wol...
383K 7.6K 59
EMMA RUBY FOREST. You know the perfect girl, with blonde hair, blue eyes, who is desired by almost every guy, also dating the future Alpha, yeah th...
8.1K 150 33
PROLOGUE Mates, simple word but have a lot of meaning behind it, it says mates were to protect each other love each other care for each other and the...
234K 7K 34
"You are mine! Mine only!" Hot breaths send shivers down my spine as he cornered me to the wall. "But how? I can't be...what-" He smashes his lips do...