Crystal Spark

By MESparks

When life beats you until you're alone and trust is never earned, how do you let your heart beat? When found... More

Chapter One: The Hands
Chapter Two: The Eyes
Chapter Three: The Ears
Chapter Four: The Mind
Chapter Five: The Arms
Chapter Six: The Neck
Chapter Seven: The Genes
Chapter 8: The Fingertips
Chapter 9: The Back
Chapter 11: The Soul
Chapter 12: The Legs
Chapter 13: The Risk

Chapter 10: The Memory

23 2 0
By MESparks

Atsushi and Dazai didn't see Keomi again. At least not for awhile. Two months had passed by like the wind and yet for once Dazai's contacts had come up dry. It was simply like she had disappeared. Atsushi had been angry with Dazai that he hadn't woken him up when Shizuka had woken. But no one was more furious than the president. Everyone had gotten a large earful about how he specifically had asked that she was brought here the next time they encountered her. Not only that but she had been here and no one had alerted him.

Since then everyone had been on the lookout for the girl to do the very thing that they had failed at in the first place. Not only was Keomi missing but it appeared that Akutagawa had completely disappeared as well.

Little did they know there was a very gruesome link between those two facts. One they wouldn't find until over a month later.

When Keomi finally made her way to the port mafia after passing out at the agency Chuuya had been there to meet her. He watched as she came in her ability off. He shook his head wordlessly in disappointment.

"You know the deal Spark-" Chuuya began mocking as a smirk threatened to pull up his lips. Instead Keomi cut him off sending a crystal dagger towards his head. Chuuya barely moved his head allowing the dagger to fly right past him hitting the wall and clattering to the ground.

"Fuck off Shortie." Keomi passed Chuuya not even sparing another glance at him. She stalked away heading towards her rooms for the rest of the day.

She waited a few minutes until reaching into the hidden compartment and bringing out her book. She flipped through the pages trying to get that question Dazai had asked her out of her head.

She knew what the true answer was to that question. It wasn't some philosophical answer about the past being in the past. She wished with everything in her that she could go back.

But she couldn't.

As the old saying goes, she had made her bed and now she has to lie in it.

Every kill in this book... maybe these people would still be alive. Or perhaps they would've died all the same just at the hands of another agent.

Two sharp knocks were heard at the door and slowly she raised her eyes towards it. A sigh passed through her lips. Why couldn't anyone leave her alone.

"Sparks, come on the boss needs you." She heard Chuuya's voice from beyond the door. She hadn't seen the boss since she had begun training with Chuuya.

"Coming Shortie!" She yelled back hearing his sounds of protest through the door. She slipped her book back in its spot and placed her coat back around her body.

The moment she placed the coat on she was struck by the lingering smell of that traitor once more. How was she supposed to continue with her life if he was always reminding her of what she was? Constantly making herself prove it.

She opened her door coming face to face to Chuuya a smirk tilting up her lips. She raised her eyebrows at him as if to ask if he was going to fight her on the short comment from early. Now that the door wasn't protecting her.

"Come along my little protege, I've discussed with the Boss and we've decided to give you a little treat." Chuuya spoke simply although Keomi couldn't help but wonder why he looked the way he did.

He wasn't smirking.

He wasn't in his usual joking mood.

He didn't move with that swagger in his step.

"Alright." Keomi didn't allow her reservations to come through her voice instead she simply followed the man.

"Ah Keomi-Chan! Come in, Come in!" The Boss spoke happily when the two entered a part of the warehouse that she had never been able to go into. She looked around curiously until her eyes fell upon someone she had been dying to see.

There was a panel of glass that allowed her to look into another room. Splashes of blood was everywhere painting the room like a Picasso. Akutagawa hung in chains his face casted down at the ground.

She watched another whip crash into his body and every muscle in her body strained against her mind. She was tense, but she could not show the others how this effected her.

"Akutagawa failed to procure a child for me a few weeks back." The Boss spoke as he looked upon his hound, shaking his head making a tsking sound.

"The phone call had something to do with that I imagine?" Her tone was level and it was a miracle she had kept it so. She moved her eyes to the Boss trying to play bored.

Don't let them get to you.

"Yes, a pity you have that hatred for children. We have yet to find the child nor it's kidnapper." Kidnapper? Hah! She had to fight the anger that bubbled in her throat. She had kidnapped the child? They had slaughtered the family of the child and had planned to kidnap them as well.

"Pity." She spoke again and yawned against her hand. Don't let them get to you.

"You might want to reconsider." Chuuya finally spoke again after falling silent during this scene. Keomi turned to look at him raising a single eyebrow.

"Until the child is found and the kidnapper is killed Akutagawa will be facing punishment for his transgressions." Chuuya revealed and it was like they had dumped a bucket of ice water on her.

"Oh? Truly a pity then. As I've stated I don't deal with children." Keomi made a tsking sound of her own and she looked towards Akutagawa.

"Well let me know when I'm allowed to snipe again. I have to go train." She spoke and began to walk away to head out into the city until a voice stopped her.

"You now know the price for those who fail me, Keomi. I suggest you heed this lesson." She didn't acknowledge that she had even heard the Boss and instead she took another step towards the door.

A lesson her Boss had told her. Yet, she had an overwhelming feeling that it was more of a warning than a lesson. She had barely been with the Mafia for five months and the entire time she had been trying to prove herself. She had killed ten people in the name of loyalty to their cause. Considering how many enemies they had she surely would kill more before everything was set and done.

The blood on her hands would only grow.

She closed her eyes as she stood on the port dock that she had always found Akutagawa at. She felt the salt breeze run through her hair making a few slivers of brown fall from its loose bun. The warm summer sun was slowly setting casting the city in shadows. She fought to remember where she was last summer, with her family, with a career that helped people. Her original path of selflessness had quickly turned into one of selfishness.

"I'm just happy to be out of school for a break!" Akasuki raised her hands to stretch in the air while they sat outside watching her sister work in the yard.

"Yeah its good for you and Tatsuo to have a break. You two really need to have some hobbies outside of school work." Keomi responded as she wiped away the sweat from her brow with her sleeve. She looked down at the garden that now was bare of weeds and watered. A basket of tomatoes and cucumbers sat beside her feet which she took great pride in.

"I know Dad likes that you're into all of the farm stuff but do you really have to act so..." She trailed off giving her sister a once over, she was covered in dirt and even had a leaf in her hair.

"It was his brother's farm Suki, I try to help him maintain it to honor the memory." Keomi responded with a bright smile completely ignoring her sister's comment about her appearance.

"Dad's not even home half of the time and we never even got the chance to meet our only uncle." Akasuki replied and for a moment a pang went through Keomi's body. As if something wasn't quite right with that sentence even though what her sister said was true. Her father had only one brother who had died before their parents had married. Their mom was an only child.

"We live an hour away from the city Suki, do you expect him to commute everyday? His job is important and-" Keomi continued to defend her father's choices since he wasn't currently with them. He was off in the city protecting people and in December Keomi was going to begin her police training at the academy.

"Yeah sure, whatever you say Kei." Suki responded as she reached over to the table and picked up the book she had started to read. A book called 'The Setting Sun' by an author who was only known by their initials D.O.

"Suki-" Keomi began but was interrupted from her mother yelling from inside the house. Both of the girls turned when they heard their mother's voice.

"Dinners ready!" Their mother's voice was like a beacon to Tatsuo, who had been playing on his computer in his room, and Akasuki. But Keomi waited for a moment overlooking the farm she so desperately loved. The farm her father had grown up on. She allowed herself to close her eyes to feel the last bit of warmth from the sun before it fell asleep once more. A sad smile made its way onto her face as she slipped inside her home.

To say that she was closest with her father would be an understatement. To say that she had a strained relationship with her mother would also be an understatement. She had been the only one in their family to understand that their father could not always be home. That summer he had only been home three times, once for Suki's birthday, once for their anniversary, and once more just to spend the weekend together.

He had only spent seven days with them in total.

Keomi let out a small sigh at the thought because while she understood... it didn't mean that she always likes her father's job. Keomi always knew growing up that her mother favored her younger siblings. But it did hurt when she made such actions that showed that favoritism.

She wondered what had happened to her father's farm now that everyone was gone. It had been nearly eight months since anyone had been home. Their had been no one to plant the spring plants or water the crops that came year after year. Everything she had worked for had been for nothing.

Her phone buzzed in her pocket bringing her from her thoughts and reminisces. She pulled it out knowing that there was only one person who could be calling her right now. She answered the call without even checking to see who had been calling her.

"Yes, Chuuya?" Keomi drew out the phrase pausing between the two words. She did not greet him or say more words than she needed. He deserved to know that she was aggravated with him. She heard him sigh from the other side of the phone call.

"I see you're in a foul mood Sparks." Chuuya responded with a roll of his eyes, not that she could see that, and he continued speaking sensing that she wouldn't talk until he revealed his reason for calling so soon.

"Against my recommendation the Boss would like you to return to your regular duties. You will be receiving your next target when this phone call ends." Chuuya told her and she could hear the disappointment in his voice. She let out a small tsk noise and she hung up the phone.

She knew he wouldn't care if she hung up him or not which made it that much easier to do. Her eyes closed going back to that memory as once again she felt the last rays of light for the day. The sun had set and gone to rest. But she would not be. She heard the ping signaling her next target.

Kill number eleven.

Kumika Yukimi.

And thus began the unraveling of Keomi's carefully crafted world.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

42.3K 1.7K 19
[ON HIATUS] ❝When you love someone, it means you're willing to go through the extra mile of sacrificing almost everything for them. even in death.❞ βŒ‡...
52K 2.6K 37
π“π‘πžπž 𝐜𝐚𝐧'𝐭 𝐫𝐞𝐬𝐒𝐬𝐭 𝐝𝐞𝐬𝐭𝐒𝐧𝐲 Ability to write their own or someones destiny Yes, you can write anything, even their death Make the...
80.8K 3.9K 26
If I were to describe you, I would say that you are my favorite flowers and that musical, that I have watched thousands of times, but still love with...
5.3K 198 6
just two people who dazai destroyed bonding over the fact that dazai destroyed them while trying to heal both themselves and each-other. ~discontinu...