Indigo Eyes

Par ACourtOfStories

I could give you a sob story about how tough Cressida Lynn's life has been, but you're not here for that. You... Plus

Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Chapter 81
Chapter 82
Chapter 83
Chapter 84
Chapter 85
Chapter 86
Chapter 87
Chapter 88
Chapter 89
Chapter 90
Chapter 91
Chapter 92
Chapter 93
Chapter 94
Chapter 95
Chapter 96
Chapter 97
Chapter 98
Chapter 99
Chapter 100
Chapter 101
Chapter 102
Chapter 103
Chapter 104
Chapter 105
Chapter 106
Chapter 107
Chapter 108
Chapter 109
Chapter 110
Chapter 111
Chapter 112
Chapter 113
Chapter 114
Chapter 115
Chapter 116
Chapter 117
Chapter 118
Chapter 119
Chapter 120
Chapter 121
Chapter 122
Chapter 123
Chapter 124
Chapter 125
Chapter 126
Chapter 127
Chapter 128
Chapter 129
Chapter 130
Chapter 131
Chapter 132
Chapter 133
Chapter 134
Chapter 135
A/N
The Staff of Hermes

Chapter 42

1.3K 67 4
Par ACourtOfStories

Bianca di Angelo was seated next to the auburn-haired girl, Artemis, who sat before a golden brazier of fire that seemed to burn without fuel or smoke. Behind the goddess, on a polished oak display stand, was her huge silver bow, carved to resemble gazelle horns. The walls were hung with animal pelts – black bear, tiger and several others that they didn't recognise. She appeared to have another animal pelt next to her until it moved, and it turned out to be a deer with glittering fur and silver horns, its head resting contently in Artemis' lap.

"Join us, Percy Jackson, Cressida Lynn," she invited and the two sat before her on the tent floor, the goddess studying them as Percy kept an eye on Cressida who sat down perfectly fine with her bandaged leg.

"Are you surprised by my age?" she asked.

"Uh... a little," Percy answered.

"I could appear as a grown woman, or a blazing fire, or anything else I want, but this is what I prefer. This is the average age of my Hunters and all young maidens for whom I am patron, before they go astray."

"Go astray?"' Percy asked. 

"Grow up. Become smitten with boys. Become silly, preoccupied, insecure. Forget themselves."

"Oh," he said as Zoë sat down to Artemis's right and glared at Percy.

"You must forgive my Hunters if they do not welcome you," Artemis said. "It is very rare that we would have boys in this camp. Boys are usually forbidden to have any contact with the Hunters. The last one to see this camp..." She looked at Zoë. "Which one was it?"

"That boy in Colorado," Zoë said. "You turned him into a jackalope."

"Ah, yes." Artemis nodded, satisfied. "I enjoy making jackalopes. At any rate, Percy, I've asked you both here so that you might tell me more of the manticore. Bianca has reported some of the... mmm, disturbing things the monster said. But she may not have understood them. I'd like to hear them from you two."

And so they told her, taking turns to explain what happened and when they were done, Artemis put her hand thoughtfully on her silver bow. "I feared this was the answer."

Zoë sat forward. "The scent, my lady?"

"Yes."

"What scent, Lady Artemis?" Cressida wondered.

"Things are stirring that I have not hunted in millennia," Artemis murmured. "Prey so old I have nearly forgotten. We came here tonight sensing the manticore, but he was not the one I seek. Tell me again, exactly what Dr Thorn said."

"Um, 'I hate middle school dances.'"

And Cressida smacked her forehead with her hand at his stupidity. "I think she means, after that, Barnacle Brain."

"Yes," Artemis confirmed.

"He said somebody called the General was going to explain things to me," Percy said and Zoë's face paled, Artemis silencing her with a single gesture as she nodded for him to continue.

"Well, then Thorn was talking about the Great Stir Pot –"

"Stirring," Bianca corrected.

"Yeah. And he said, 'Soon we shall have the most important monster of all – the one that shall bring about the downfall of Olympus.'"

The goddess was so still she could've been a statue.

"Maybe he was lying," Percy suggested and Cressida desperately hoped so if whatever this creature was, was able to scare the goddess of the Hunt this badly.

"Unfortunately not. I have been too slow to see the signs. I must hunt this monster."

Zoë looked like she was trying very hard not to be afraid, but she nodded. "We will leave right away, my lady."

"No, Zoë. I must do this alone."

"But, Artemis –"

"This task is too dangerous even for the Hunters. You know where I must start my search. You cannot go there with me."

She still looked conflicted. "As... as you wish, my lady."

"I will find this creature," Artemis vowed. "And I shall bring it back to Olympus by the winter solstice. It will be all the proof I need to convince the Council of the Gods of how much danger we are in."

"You know what the monster is?" Cressida asked and Artemis gripped her bow.

"Let us pray I am wrong."

"Can goddesses pray?" Percy asked, and Cressida wanted to smack her forehead again at the sound of the stupid things that came out of his mouth, but he was lucky that Artemis found humour in his question.

"Before I go, Percy Jackson, I have a small task for you."

"Does it involve getting turned into a jackalope?" Percy asked nervously.

"Sadly, no. I want you to escort the Hunters back to Camp Half-Blood. They can stay there in safety until I return."

"What?" Zoë blurted out.

"But, Artemis, we hate that place. The last time we stayed there –"

"Yes, I know," Artemis said. "But I'm sure Dionysus will not hold a grudge just because of a little, ah, misunderstanding. It's your right to use Cabin Eight whenever you are in need. Besides, I hear they rebuilt the cabins you burned down. And I'm sure with Miss Lynn on your side, all will be fine."

Percy didn't like the way that sounded and even the wording made Cressida antsy.

"My father is unfortunately still a little bitter seeing as one of the cabins destroyed was my own, but I'm sure I'll be able to help Percy smooth things over," she said, a hint of her father's same bitterness in her voice and in the pained smile she gave the goddess.

"While your help is appreciated Miss Lynn, I'm sure you'll be very busy with another decision," Artemis said before turning to Bianca. "Have you made up your mind, my girl?"

Bianca hesitated. "I'm still thinking about it."

"Wait," Percy said. "Thinking about what?"

"They invited you, didn't they?" Cressida asked and Percy was growing more anxious by the second.

"Invited you to what?!"

"They... they've invited me to join the Hunt," Bianca answered.

"What? But you can't! You have to come to Camp Half-Blood so Chiron can train you. It's the only way you can learn to survive."

"It is not the only way for a girl," Zoë said.

Percy was in disbelief. "Bianca, camp is cool! It's got a pegasus stable and a sword-fighting arena and... I mean, what do you get by joining the Hunters?"

"To begin with," Zoë said, "immortality."

He stared at her, then at Artemis. "She's kidding, right?"

"No." 

Percy was surprised to hear Cressida's voice defend the woman.

"Zoë rarely kids about anything," Artemis added. "My Hunters follow me on my adventures. They are my maidservants, my companions, my sisters-in-arms. Once they swear loyalty to me, they are indeed immortal... unless they fall in battle, which is unlikely. Or break their oath."

"What oath?" Percy questioned.

"To forswear romantic love forever," Artemis said. "To never grow up, never get married. To be a maiden eternally."

"Like you?"

The goddess nodded.

"So you just go around the country recruiting half-bloods –"

"Not just half-bloods," Zoë interrupted. "Lady Artemis does not discriminate by birth. All who honour the goddess may join. Half-bloods, nymphs, mortals –"

"Which are you, then?"

Anger flashed in Zoë's eyes - Percy really hadn't learned his lesson about asking personal questions. "That is not thy concern, boy. The point is Bianca may join if she wishes. It is her choice."

"Bianca, this is crazy," Percy persisted. "What about your brother? Nico can't be a Hunter."

"Certainly not," Artemis agreed. "He will go to camp. Unfortunately, that's the best boys can do."

"Hey!" Percy protested.

"You can see him from time to time," Artemis assured Bianca. "But you will be free of responsibility. He will have the camp counsellors to take care of him. And you will have a new family. Us."

"A new family," Bianca repeated dreamily. "Free of responsibility."

"Bianca, you can't do this," Percy continued. "It's nuts."

She looked at Zoë. "Is it worth it?"

Zoë nodded. "It is."

"What do I have to do?"

"Say this," Zoë told her, " 'I pledge myself to the goddess Artemis.'"

"I... I pledge myself to the goddess Artemis."

"'I turn my back on the company of men, accept eternal maidenhood and join the Hunt.'"

Bianca repeated the lines. "That's it?"

Zoë nodded. "If Lady Artemis accepts thy pledge, then it is binding."

"I accept it," Artemis announced.

The flames in the brazier brightened, casting a silver glow over the room. Bianca looked no different, but she took a deep breath and opened her eyes wide. "I feel... stronger."

"Welcome, sister," Zoë said.

"Remember your pledge," Artemis said. "It is now your life." The goddess then turned to the other girl in the room, the girl who had gone silent as she heard the blood pumping in her ears and pieced together where Artemis was going with this. "And it can be your life too," she said to Cressida.

"What?" Percy spoke, his heart racing in fear as Artemis produced a silver pamphlet and presented it to her.

"Should you choose to join my Hunt, you will be forever welcomed and never rejected. You will learn to master the power that simmers beneath your skin and perform the feat you have yet to accomplish. You are already a brave maiden and a seasoned warrior, but the feats you shall accomplish with us will be unparalleled. However, I suspect you shall need time to think on this decision," Artemis said as Cressida took the pamphlet, her eyes glazed over as if she couldn't believe what was being offered to her.

"Cress, you can't seriously be thinking about doing this?" Percy questioned but not even the use of her most treasured nickname was enough to snap her out of it.

"It is her decision to make," Zoë said sternly.

"Do not despair, Percy Jackson," Artemis said. "Miss Lynn may decide not to join me. And you will still get to show the di Angelo's your camp. And if Nico so chooses, he can stay there."

"Great," he murmured, trying not to sound surly as his eyes remained on where Cressida was still staring at the pamphlet. "How are we supposed to get there?"

Artemis closed her eyes. "Dawn is approaching. Zoë, break camp. You must get to Long Island quickly and safely. I shall summon a ride from my brother."

Zoë didn't look very happy about this idea, but she nodded and told Bianca to follow her. As she was leaving, Bianca paused in front of me. "I'm sorry, Percy. But I want this. I really, really do."

"So," he said glumly. "We're going to get a ride from your brother, huh?"

Artemis's silver eyes gleamed. "Yes, boy. You see, Bianca di Angelo is not the only one with an annoying brother. It's time for you to meet my irresponsible twin, Apollo."

Artemis walked out after her Hunters, leaving Percy alone with Cressida.

"Cressida, camp is all you've ever known. Your brothers are there. Please tell me you're not actually considering this?!" he said a little harshly, and she finally looked away from the pamphlet.

"Don't you think I know that, Percy? Eight years I've lived there, and I can count the number of times I've been out into the world on my fingers. My brothers come and go as they please because they don't have the powers I do. I'd like to see the world beyond what I read in books or see on quests where I'm about to die," she retorted before she pushed herself to her feet. "Look, I don't really understand why you're so upset about this, but we can finish this discussion when we get back to camp."

"Cressida -"

"I promise."

Percy only sighed, a little annoyed that she couldn't see the obvious. "Fine. We'll do this your way."

And he stormed out of the tent.

Continuer la Lecture

Vous Aimerez Aussi

47.2K 1.2K 29
Percy Jackson. A 17 year old boy who's eyes hide pain and he enjoys swimming. He walks around and smiles when his few friends talk to him, but, other...
38.1K 1.5K 14
"I hear the underworld is just swell this time of year." "Really?" "No." ________________________________________________ (Name) had a lot of questio...
462K 17K 103
"You will be glorious. You will be my glory." Y/N's life was quiet before that day. What day? The day a giant snake tried to kill him. Then it became...
160 22 29
Disclaimer : I do not own anything related to the PJO or HOO books or show, those belong entirely to the amazing Uncle Rick. All I own is Krys and he...