A Murderer's Guide to Fake Da...

Door polaroidcolours

The contract is simple: if Jack hides the dead body, Isla will act as his fake date during a wedding. Simple... Meer

i. summary + author's note
01. there's a dead body in the bathroom
02. i said, we're roleplaying
03. is dating me that bad?
0.4 i just have to release my inner jack
0.5 three things i want on the contract
0.6 i've seen it in movies before
0.8 think of this date like an interview
0.9 we're clearly lacking chemistry
10. i dreamt of you
11. you can't even stand straight
12. do you hate me?
13. it's a game of ping-pong

0.7 anybody would be distracted, really

362 16 55
Door polaroidcolours

I curse when I see who it is. I want to dive under a bush and the only thing that's keeping me from doing so is my superego. 

"Hi, Isla," Jack says warmly. He's smiling, and it's scaring the hell out of me. He directs a nod in Roxie's direction. "Roxie." 

My eyes narrow suspiciously. What is he trying to do? "Hello," I return, voice laced with distrust. "Do you need anything?" 

"Not in particular. I just wanted to check in on my two favorite co-workers." 

I am horrified. First, Jack hates me. Second, he hates people who talk a lot—so by default, he also hates Roxie. 

"What the hell—" I start, before stealing a glance at Roxie. It would be unwise to unleash my temper now. "I mean, what a surprise. I didn't know you even liked us!" 

"Of course I do." Jack is an entirely different human being. His doppelgänger has kidnapped Jack's body and the doppelgänger happens to be a kinder person than the real Jack. "Roxie, I always admired your hard work." 

Roxie blushes. I stare hard at Jack, trying to figure out his motive. Jack turns his gaze toward me and smiles even harder. "And Isla." He leans in, lowering his voice in a seductive way. "You've always caught my attention." 

My head jerks up in surprise. I recover fast, giving him a look of pure disgust. "What the hell are you trying to do?" I hiss, and Jack feigns confusion. 

I steal a glance at Roxie, who's watching us with unhidden interest. If this conversation gets any longer, he'll misunderstand. "Roxie," I start. "Why don't you go first? There's something I need to discuss with Jack."

Roxie looks a surprising level of disappointment. Maybe nothing interesting happens in his life, so that's why he's invested in me and Jack's interactions. Still, he trudges ahead. 

When I am sure he is out of earshot, I spin towards Jack. "Excuse me? What the hell was that?" 

Jack watches me with an emotionless expression, before a foreign emotion flickers on his face and he leans forward, lashes lowering. His mouth pulls down into a seductive tilt and I swallow, my heart beating strangely fast. 

"Isla," Jack murmurs. 

He is moving closer. My cheeks are on fire and I back away until I can't, my legs bumping against the bench. I am a trapped and cowering hamster, in the face of a huge scary monster. 

I can't take it anymore. I shove him away and scowl. "What are you doing?" 

Jack examines my face, before shrugging. "You always look like you hate me." 

I don't refute anything, giving him a flat stare. "I was trying to see how you would react," Jack finally admits. "My family won't believe we're dating, if you always look like you despise me." 

"I can act, you know." I'm annoyed and flustered, avoiding Jack's gaze. "During the wedding, I'll act as though I tolerate you." 

"I don't know," muses Jack. "You need to seem like you're infatuated with me." 

Jack is toying with me once more. I can see it in that little smirk playing across his mouth, the amusement displayed in his whiskey-brown eyes. 

I feel like I'm losing an unspoken game if I agree with Jack, so I fire back a response. "Well, I don't have to," I say. "We could be in a relationship where we both hate each other." 

When he gives me a dubious look, I shrug. "There are people who hate each other and are in relationships, you know." 

"True," Jack concedes. I smile triumphantly. One point for Isla, even if I'm being impossibly childish. However, I can always count on Jack for being a competitive bastard. 

"This won't do," he chides. "Act like you love me." 

I'm halfway taking a delicate sip of my coffee when his words hit me. The scalding coffee slides down my throat and I begin coughing and coughing. Jack frowns at me like I'm a complete embarrassment. Maybe I am, but this time Jack is to blame for me coughing out my two dollars ninety-nine cents worth of black coffee. 

"What?" I ask in disbelief. 

"Act like you love me," Jack repeats patiently, as though he's teaching a child how to add numbers. "I don't trust you to act well." 

I scowl. 

"Well?" he prompts. 

"You're so childish." I sound so aggravated, Jack's mouth quirks up. "Why don't you act like you love me?" 

"Okay," says Jack easily. "Then you'll act, too?" 

I hesitate, but end up nodding anyway. It's not as though Jack will actually go through with this. He likes maintaining his reputation of being sensible and practical and logical. He also makes it known that he'll never do the stupid decisions I make. 

"Babe." 

My heart nearly stops and I stare at him with dawning horror. He cannot be serious. Jack cannot actually be going through with this. Oh, but he is. Jack smiles gently at me, deprived of his usual contempt. His dark eyes cling to me and I'm hypnotized. His hand reaches up and loosely tucks a lock of my hair behind my ear, lingering slightly. 

My breath comes out slightly ragged and I'm embarrassed. I should not be reacting this way, especially not to Jack Lim. 

I realize he's waiting for me to respond, to react to his advancements. How am I even supposed to respond? 

"Jack." 

My voice is breathy and Jack watches my every movement. It makes me feel self-conscious and I hate it. 

"Don't call me babe," I finally manage. 

Jack looks unimpressed like I've just single-handedly confirmed all the expectations he holds. Still, he continues his flirtatious façade. "What should I call you, then?" 

"Just Isla will do." 

"What if 'just Isla' doesn't convey my feelings for you?" Jack hums thoughtfully. "What about... sweetie. Pumpkin. Love." 

The strange storm has passed. The uncomfortable feeling is dissipating. We have stopped acting as though We Are In Love. We are back to normal and this time, I have the upper hand. "Do better," I say. 

"Honey," Jack supplies. "Pudding. Sweetheart." 

"No." 

"Beloved. Lovebug. Hot stuff." 

I stare at him. "The nicknames are getting progressively worse, don't you think?" I marvel. "How are you even coming up with these names?" 

Jack taps the side of his head. "I remember everything from Google." 

It's true, he does—though I didn't know it included memorizing pet names. "Anyways." He switches the topic. "You failed." 

"I know." 

"Big time." 

"Yes, I know." 

Jack looks exasperated. "My parents won't believe our relationship if your acting is that bad." 

I narrow my eyes. "It's your fault," I argue, flustered. "You distracted me first." 

"I distracted you?" Jack asks, cynically. When I nod aggressively, he looks pensive. "How so? Do tell." 

It's clear what he's trying to do, forcing me to admit that I'm distracted by his flirting. "Well?" he prompts, and I scowl. 

"You already know," I say. 

"If you didn't say it out loud, then I won't know," Jack says with a full-bodied shrug. When Jack has the upper hand and we both know it, he turns into the biggest asshole ever known to the universe. "So? Do go on, Isla." 

We engage in a staring contest. The intensity is high until I finally spin away. "Forget it," I say. "You're so annoying." 

I walk away when Jack grabs my wrist. "I'm sorry," he says sincerely. "Just tell me what made you distracted. I promise I won't judge." 

"You always do, though," I say, and this time, Jack does not argue with me. Still, he pins me with an unrelenting look and after a few seconds, I blow out a sigh. "When you... act like that, you distract me. Anybody would be distracted, really." 

"Distracted, how?" 

"Well." I lean towards him. "You're somewhat attractive and you're saying kind words to me. If I liked you, I would fall for you in seconds." 

Jack smiles. "Bingo." 

"What?" 

"Act like that in front of my parents. Flustered. It's cute." 

I squint at him. "Are you joking?" 

"No." Jack lifts his hand like he's about to pat my head. My heart jolts, but then he hesitates and puts his hand down. "We'll need to fix your jumpiness around me, though. You're like a baby hamster, jumping around when I'm trying to have a conversation." 

"That was not having a conversation," I choke out. "You were practically seducing me." 

His mouth tilts up. "That doesn't even come close to the level of seduction I could do, you know," he tells me. "Do you want to see?" 

I am tempted for a sweet lingering second. Then I remember where I am and who I'm interacting with. "In your dreams, Lim," I call, walking forward. 

Confidence, Isla. Strut away like you're a model. Walk away like you're completely unaffected by this entire conversation, even when your neck is flushed red. 

"Isla," Jack says and I turn towards him. "You're headed the wrong way." 

Once again, he's right. "Whatever," I retort, marching in the correct pathway. In my head, I know I'm screwed. Jack's pretend flirting has thrown me off, and I'm not sure if I can face him again. 

I do continue to see Jack, though I try my best to ignore him. He allows me to do so, but there's a small lingering knowing smirk still plastered on his face. I wish I could slap him, but work policy prevents me from doing so. 

We finally interact after work, by the elevator. Jack is already inside and my heart does a weird jolt when our gazes meet. 

I let my gaze run innocently to the side, where the stairway is. I start for the stairs when Jack clears his throat. "Isla," he says, and I let out a huge sigh. He's hijacked my Pretend I Didn't See Jack mission. 

Jack is holding the elevator and it would make me look like a terrible person if I didn't walk in. I do, though reluctance drags my steps. "Sorry," I say dully. "I didn't see you." 

"Is that so?" Jack replies, as the elevator slides shut. "I could've sworn our eyes met." 

"Dust got in my eye, so you looked like part of the elevator." 

Jack grunts, sounding unconvinced. When the elevator has finally come to a stop, I wait for Jack to walk out first. He does, but then... he waits for me. 

"We're going the same way," Jack says when I give him a questioning look. "Might as well go together." 

"I would rather not," I mumble under my breath, though I follow him. In the garage, our footsteps echo. Someone's car engine starts. The buzzing of light electricity fills the air. 

"What's your favorite type of bird?" Jack asks suddenly, and I frown at him. "What? I'm making small talk." 

"Your small talk is making everything awkward," I say, as we finally approach my car. "Thank God. Well, thanks for walking me here." 

Jack doesn't respond, so I just climb into my car. He's still frozen in place and I glare at him. "You should move before I accidentally roll my car over your foot." 

"Right. Of course." Jack moves out of the way and when I'm about to go into reverse, he calls out, "Wait. Isla." 

"What?" I ask, irritated. I want to go home, flop onto my bed, and sleep. 

"Do you..." Jack coughs, running fingers through his hair awkwardly. "Do you want to get dinner together?" 

I'm startled and I squint at him suspiciously. "Why?" I ask suspiciously. "You aren't planning to poison my food, are you?" 

"Of course not," Jack snaps. "We need our relationship to seem real. Plus, if my family asks about our first date, we'll have something to talk about." 

I think about it. He's right, but— "I want to go home and sleep," I announce flatly and Jack blinks, not expecting my response. 

"Oh," Jack says, a strange expression blossoming on his face. 

"But," I continue, "we can have our first date tomorrow night." 

A surprised smile flits on his face. "Sure," he says easily. "Tomorrow night, then." 

***

author's note:

hello everyone, i'm so sorry for not updating in so long TT i've been busy with the SAT and now i have my ap tests next week (help, hopefully future me on tuesday will do well on the test hahahaha). anyways, thank you sm for sticking around! question: what is your dream date? 

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

9.1K 1.1K 22
BLACK AVENUE, EASTERN AMERIKA Everything's the same. But just a little bit different. Magic. Love. Entropy. All lawless. All wild. In 1876 a talente...
8.4K 566 72
~ COMPLETED ~ BOOK 1 **** **** Amber, a contract agent, had hit a drought when it came to good fortune. After catching her boyfriend cheating on her...
861K 27.8K 35
This princess is about to find out her powers aren't as harmless as they seen. Amber Young was an outcast at school and got badly bullied. Darcy her...
56 3 33
"So. Wild chases through the streets... near drownings... boat rides with strangers... DRAGONS of all the fool things... and intoxicated, bare-footed...