The Girl In The Cabin

Autorstwa SheWritesAtMidnight

A new job opportunity has Stacey Green excited about the future, but the job isn't all what she expects. Pers... Więcej

Chapter One: New Beginnings
Chapter Two: The Cabin
Chapter Three: Late-Night Visit
Chapter Four: The Shed
Chapter Five: Face to Face
Chapter Six: Chipping Away
Chapter Seven: Intruders
Chapter Eight: Theories and Revelations
Chapter Nine: Stranger Than Fiction
Chapter Ten: Not Alone
Chapter Eleven: Closer
Chapter Twelve: Lovers
Chapter Thirteen: The Tip-Off
Chapter Fourteen: News Travels Fast
Chapter Fifteen: The Hunt
Chapter Seventeen: Suspects
Chapter Eighteen: The Gathering
Chapter Nineteen: Reckoning

Chapter Sixteen: Something Wicked

124 9 2
Autorstwa SheWritesAtMidnight

Thank you all for 500 reads! 🤍

    Alex stands beside me as I pick up the broken pieces of the coffee mugs I dropped. "Who do you think is haunting this cabin, Stacey?" Alex asks. "You won't believe me if I tell you..." I stand up and face him. "I really don't get it, though. You believe in ghosts, so why is it so hard to believe that there's something evil here?" I ask. Alex turns away from me, "My sister isn't evil." I sigh, "I'm not saying she is." Alex scoffs, "Then where's this evil spirit coming from? Explain it to me, so I can understand. I've agreed that Charlotte's spirit is here, but I'm not sure what else you want from me." I let the porcelain pieces fall into the trash can with a sharp crash. "Never mind. Forget it." I sigh. "No, I won't forget it. I can't." He groans, "You're either saying my sister is evil or something evil is with my sister. That's what you're trying to say. Well, I won't have it!" He yells. "I'm sorry." I say. Alex shakes his head, "Not good enough." He steps in front of me, placing his hands on my shoulders, "Talk to me. I promise I'll hear what you have to say. I won't argue. I'll just hear you out. Fair enough?" He asks. I look to my right, still not wanting to face him. "Stacey. Stacey. Stacey. Please, look at me. Please? Pretty please?" He begs. A giggle escapes my lips and I glance up at him. "If I tell anyone that I'm talking to you like this, I will deny it with my drying breath." He says firmly. "No one would believe me anyway." I laugh. "So? Tell me. Why do you think there's something evil here?" Alex asks. "I don't think. I know." I reply. "How do you know?" He asks. "Because I can feel it. I've felt evil before, I know what it's like. With every fiber of my being, I can feel it, and it scares me because...I think it's Bryce." Alex sighs, "You think your stepfather is haunting us?" I nod, "He wants revenge. It's the only thing that makes sense. The leeches, the music box, the broken window...the dishes. It's him. It's Bryce. He wants revenge for what I did." Alex pulls me into his chest, running a hand down my back. "Stacey, I'm so sorry. I didn't think...I thought you... Never mind what I thought. Even if Bryce was after you...I wouldn't let him hurt you." Alex says softly. "How? How can you say that?" I ask. "Easy. With these lips." Alex's lips brush my temple. "Bryce was evil." I state. "But you're not. The darkness can't touch the light. Have you ever heard that?" He asks. I nod, "Yes, but I don't agree. Believe me, darkness has a way of making itself known, even when you think it's not there." Alex sighs, "It's true Stacey. Evil may try, it may wear you down, but it'll never win." My thoughts instantly flash to Lucas. But it did win.

"I'd never expect the great Alex Carter to say something like that." I laugh, "Are you sure you haven't been possessed or something?" He smiles, "Very funny." He sighs deeply, then his arms around me slacken. "I know I can come across as a little arrogant at times." He says. "A little?" I laugh. He nods, "Fine, but I'm a successful man. It comes with the territory. I wouldn't be where I am today if I didn't have the attitude that I have. If I didn't expect perfection, then I wouldn't get it. That's why I have to be tough." I shrug, "There's a difference between being tough and being mean. Besides, you may find people will work just as well for you if you're nice to them. Not because they're scared of you, but because they want to please you." Alex smirks, "You want to please me?" His hand slides down from my back to my hip, then to my thigh and I blush. "How about you and I forget about ghosts and death for a little bit?" He asks. "Isn't that why we're in this cabin in the first place? To find out what really happened?" I ask, trying to focus on the task at hand rather than Alex's wandering fingers. "It is," He nods, "but it doesn't mean we can't focus on other things." "What other things?" I ask. I feel Alex's hands creep southward as his lips brush against my neck. "Things like this..." A shiver of excitement spread through me, but I resist. "I don't think this is a good idea." Alex freezes. "Why not?" He asks. "Wally could show up any minute." I reply. Alex leans back and pulls out his phone, sending a text message. "Problem solved." He smiles. "You told him not to come?" I ask. He nods, a mischievous smile on his face. "I did."
"Why? What reason did you give? What if he starts to think we're dating?" I ask, "I thought you wanted to keep an eye on him." Alex shrugs, "I did, but if he saw that article, he won't believe my excuse to have him here anyway. Besides, I like you." I scoff, "You like me?" I feel my cheeks begin to flush. "I really, really like you." Alex says and grabs hold of my hand. "Do you know where I'd really, really like you?" He asks. I feel my entire face go red, but ask, "Where?" Alex smirks, "In bed. With me." His voice sends shivers down my neck. "I really should finish cleaning the floor." I sigh. Alex shakes his head, "Oh, come on, you can do it later." I shake my head, "No, I need to get it done or it'll be bugging me all night." Alex sighs deeply, "Fine. I'll be in the tub. Feel free to join me when you're doing, if that's what you'd like." I nod as he heads upstairs.

    I turn to the stain on the ground and start blotting it with a clean towel. Did I give Alex the wrong impression by turning him down? When I'm done cleaning, I go upstairs to join him in the tub. As I lie in the warm water, I feel my body start to relax. "Let me grab you a towel." Alex says. Drops of water fall off his body as he searches the bathroom for a towel. "I don't have any in here." He says. "There are some extras in the hall closet." I remind him. I stare at his lean figure as he walks out, leaving me alone in the tub, the hot water suddenly chilling me to the bone. Is Bryce still around? Does he want revenge? Bryce was a vindictive man. Tormenting me even after death wouldn't surprise me in the least. I lean my head against the side of the tub and sigh. I don't want to think about Bryce. I want to think about Alex and how he makes me feel. He's still an enigma, and getting involved with him wasn't my brightest idea, but being with him is such a relief. When he touches me, I forget about my bills, Bryce, and my constant need to second-guess myself. When I'm with Alex, I feel alive and unpredictable. I close my eyes to consider everything that's happened. A moment later, I feel a hand rest on top of my head and grin. "Did you find the towels?" No answer. Instead, my head is suddenly forced and held below the water's surface. What the hell?! My arms flail and splash as I struggle to get back up. For a split second, I look through the water to see a man's silhouette holding me down. My vision begins to blur. It would be so easy to stop fighting. To just let go and float away. "Stacey!" I suck in a deep breath as Alex pulls me out of the water. I cough and gag over the side of the tub. "Are you okay? What the hell were you doing?" He gasps, eyes searching mine frantically. I can feel my heart racing as I gasp for air, still trying to get air into my lungs. "Something...something held me under." I gasp out. "Something what?" He gasps. "I'm okay now." I say, taking a deep breath. Alex gives me a hand as I step out of the tub and he wraps a towel around me. "You sure you're okay?" He asks. I nod, "Yeah. I'm fine." Alex nods, tying a towel around his waist, "Come on, let's get you into something warm."

    "What are you two doing?" Alex and I freeze, shocked to see Wally standing just a few feet away, his hands on his hips. "Wally!" I shriek. "I do believe I texted you not to come tonight." Alex says, taking a step in front of me as I clutch my towel tighter around me. "Text message? I didn't get a text message." Wally says. "This is awkward..." I mutter. I feel Alex's arm wrap around my shoulder. "Well, it seems you two want some privacy. I'll just pack my bag and go." He says. "I reach out a hand, signaling Wally to stop. "No, Wally, you can't go now. The roads are dangerous." Wally stares at me for a moment. "What do you mean? It's not raining." Crap. The one time it's not raining... "It's late, though. It's dark. And you're probably tired." I add. "I'll be all right. I drove over here fine." Wally says. "Look, Wally. We need you to stay." Alex sighs, "You're our shield from the reporters. I'll pay you double." He adds. Wally nods. "This agreement still falls under any confidentiality clauses we discussed previously. Understood?" Alex asks. Wally nods, "I understand, Mr. Carter. I'll just head to my room then." Wally takes a few steps before glancing back at us. "You know...my mother used to say 'looks can be deceiving'. She sure was right. I never would have guessed you two liked each other. Thought you two were like oil and water.  Looks can be deceiving. Yes, they sure can." He doesn't wait for a response, he just saunters to his room, his hands in his pockets.

    After I'm in bed I can't help but think over what happened. Did Wally sneak in and hold me underwater? He doesn't seem like the type. Still, someone did push me down. Someone or something... I try not to dwell on the possibility of a ghost or my own insanity. I mumble to myself, "I'm not crazy." Alex mumbles back, still mostly asleep. "Hm?" I don't answer. Instead, I steal a glance at his handsome face. Is he hiding something from me? I need to be more careful. After all, what Wally said is true. Looks can be deceiving.

__________________________

    "Yes, sir. It's been handled. Those two reporters won't be a problem. The online magazine is small and can't afford the lawsuit. As for Mr. Carter– you were right. He seems different around her. I'm not sure how you want me to proceed." Felicia waits for Dalton Carter to answer. "Understood." She hangs up the phone just as another call comes in. "Mrs. Carter? How can I help you?" She rolls her eyes as she listens to Joyce Carter's orders. If they didn't pay her good money, she would've quit long ago.

Wally POV

    "I told you not to worry about me. I know what I'm doing. Yeah, I know. Dan and Zachary were surprised to know the truth. They didn't want me coming back here at all. I know it's confusing. Don't worry, it'll be fine. Uh-huh. Okay, I'll see you tomorrow." I disconnect the call and glance toward the room Stacey and Alex are staying in. I shake my head and frown before heading downstairs. Wandering through the dark, I had to the kitchen to get a drink. I open the fridge, illuminating the kitchen, as my eyes scan its contents. Grabbing a beer, I begin to head toward the stairs when– The sound of sobbing stops me in my tracks. "Stacey?" I call out. The sobbing turns into a low whimper as I stumble into the living room, looking for a light switch. I flip on the light...and let out a blood-curdling scream.

Stacey POV

    I just can't seem to sleep tonight... My thoughts come to a halt when I suddenly hear someone crying. I turn towards Alex, still asleep. Is that Charlotte? It has to be her. Suddenly, a nightmarish scream causes me to bolt up in bed. I shove at Alex. "Hmm? What? What is it?" He groans. A second scream gets his attention as if someone doused him with cold water. "Stay here. I'll go check it out." He says firmly. I nod as Alex leaves me alone in the bedroom. I hear his footsteps creaking down the hall before he suddenly calls out to Wally from the staircase. "Wally? Are you okay? What's going on?" I hear Alex trudge down the stairs. Then silence. My mind is flooded with terrifying possibilities. Is Waly hurt? Did someone break in? Was it spirits? Is Alex safe? A minute later, Alex calls out to me. "Stacey, you're going to want to see this..."

    I head downstairs to find Wally in the middle of the room, shaking, staring at the wall. I gasp as my eyes land on the horrific sight. Written on the wall, in what can only be blood, reads the ominous message– "DAMNED ARE THE UNINVITED".

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

7.6M 271K 69
"I AM NOT MARRYING YOU MR. KNIGHT AND THAT'S IT" I yelled. From where did you get this much courage that too in front of him? My my someone is trying...
248K 9.3K 57
Isabella Carter. Sweet girl working in a company thinking she is falling for his boss or boyfriend she has been with for few months. She likes to be...
61.4K 2.1K 17
After being kidnapped and forced to watch as their parents were killed, Andrew and his brothers are trained to be lethal assassins for the great east...
26K 2.4K 33
~What if you find your soulmate but he's already dead?~ Charlotte is a last year Psychology student, hating the dorm-life she moves into an apartment...