The Opelux and Other Monsters...

By kmrgillins

Her memory was taken. Her skills were not. Her very presence is a threat to everything he has ever cared fo... More

CHAPTER 1 - TRITTEON
CHAPTER 2 - UNKNOWN
CHAPTER 3 (PART 1) - UNKNOWN
CHAPTER 3 (PART 2) - UNKNOWN
CHAPTER 4 - TRITTEON
CHAPTER 5 (PART 1) - UNKNOWN
CHAPTER 5 (PART 2) - UNKNOWN
CHAPTER 6 (PART 1) - UNKNOWN
CHAPTER 6 (PART 2) - UNKNOWN
CHAPTER 7 - TRITTEON
CHAPTER 8 - UNKNOWN
CHAPTER 9 (PART 1) - UNKNOWN
CHAPTER 9 (PART 2) - UNKNOWN
CHAPTER 10 - TRITTEON
CHAPTER 11 (PART 1) - TRITTEON
CHAPTER 11 (PART 2) - TRITTEON
CHAPTER 12 - PHARRO
CHAPTER 13 (PART 1) - TRITTEON
CHAPTER 13 (PART 2) - TRITTEON
CHAPTER 14 - UNKNOWN
CHAPTER 15 - UNKNOWN
CHAPTER 16 (PART 1) - UNKNOWN
CHAPTER 16 (PART 2) - UNKNOWN
CHAPTER 16 (PART 3) - UNKNOWN
CHAPTER 17 - TRITTEON
CHAPTER 18 - UNKNOWN
CHAPTER 19 - PHARRO
CHAPTER 20 (PART 1) - UNKNOWN
CHAPTER 20 (PART 2) - UNKNOWN
CHAPTER 21 - PHARRO
CHAPTER 22 - TRITTEON
CHAPTER 23 (PART 1) - UNKNOWN
CHAPTER 23 (PART 2) - UNKNOWN
CHAPTER 23 (PART 3) - UNKNOWN
CHAPTER 24 (PART 1) - ORION
CHAPTER 24 (PART 2) - ORION
CHAPTER 25 - ORION
CHAPTER 26 - TRITTEON
CHAPTER 27 (PART 1) - ORION
CHAPTER 27 (PART 2) - ORION
CHAPTER 28 - ORION
CHAPTER 29 - ORION
CHAPTER 30 - TRITTEON
CHAPTER 31 - ORION
CHAPTER 32 - TRITTEON
CHAPTER 33 - ORION
CHAPTER 34 - ORION
CHAPTER 35 - ORION
CHAPTER 36 - ORION
CHAPTER 37 - ORION
CHAPTER 39 - ORION
CHAPTER 40 - TRITTEON
CHAPTER 41 - ORION
CHAPTER 42 - ORION
CHAPTER 43 - ORION
CHAPTER 44 - TRITTEON
CHAPTER 45 - ORION
CHAPTER 46 - TRITTEON
CHAPTER 47 - ORION
CHAPTER 48 - TRITTEON
CHAPTER 49 - ORION
CHAPTER 50 - TRITTEON
CHAPTER 51 - DESRAEON
CHAPTER 52 - TRITTEON
CHAPTER 53 - ORION
CHAPTER 54 - ORION
CHAPTER 55 - ORION
CHAPTER 56 - ORION
CHAPTER 57 - ORION
CHAPTER 58 - ORION
CHAPTER 59 - ORION
CHAPTER 60 - TRITTEON
CHAPTER 61 - ORION
CHAPTER 62 - ORION
CHAPTER 63 - ORION
CHAPTER 64 - TRITTEON
CHAPTER 65 - ORION
CHAPTER 66 - ORION
CHAPTER 67 - ORION
CHAPTER 68 - TRITTEON
EPILOGUE

CHAPTER 38 - ORION

265 28 1
By kmrgillins

I kicked up clumsily, but he blocked me with his leg and pinned me with his body, grabbing the back of my neck.

"Stop!" he yelled, pushing a Veehm into my brand.

My entire body went limp.

"Do not move," he commanded.

I felt a Veehm shiver into my ears, and a second later, the com-bead floated out, dropped into his palm, and a second Veehm rippled around it and it flattened and broke apart into tiny, grain sized pieces. Then his hands were at my waist, searching through my pockets until he found my com and Vasprey's key.

"Way to run right into this one," Lexicon chided.

"You weren't paying attention either!"

"I need you to listen very carefully, Orion. As soon as he gives you a completed command, I will be blocked out, and there is only one way to cancel it."

"There's a way to cancel it?"

"Yes. But it goes against all of my programming. That is why I have not mentioned it until now. I do not have information into all of the details. Only this: unless Daniel tells you otherwise, you are not required to fight to the best of your abilities. You must allow anyone who tries to confront you to inflict a deadly blow. My information says you will be killed, but you will not die."

I blinked up at the copper-plated ceiling. "Umm...what?"

"I know. I do not understand it myself. Your entire body has switched to defense mode and this information has entered my programming."

"I have to be killed, but not die to cancel out any command he gives me. Have your circuits shorted?"

"You have to be killed to cancel it out, but you will not die," she corrected.

"That does not make sense," I said angrily.

The lid of the trunk thumped closed and panic set in.

"You have to have something else," I pleaded. "Anything."

Daniel knelt next to me, stowing the small, silver locator and book shaped package in his jacket.

He frowned down at me. "For a Directive, that was far too easy. I'm disappointed. I had anticipated an exciting duel." He looked at something above my head. "You are bleeding quite a bit. Forgive me. I expected you to block it, or at least duck." He reached down and gripped the back of my neck again.

I closed my eyes as a shiver went through my spine, feeling a lot like needles stabbing their way down it.

"You seem a bit confused. So, you may speak unless I say otherwise. Answer yes if my command is accepted."

I swallowed, testing my throat, holding my tongue for as long as I could before the needles stabbing all over my body became unbearable and formed the words for me. "Yes," I hissed. The stabbing stopped.

"Good girl."

"Lexicon," I tried.

She didn't answer. I was alone in this.

"Where is Tritteon? How did you get here first?" I said, dreading the answer.

He grinned. "That was a good trick, wasn't it? Just a hologram and a flash grenade. I also Veehmed up a sound barrier so no one in the Infirmary would hear it and come help revive him sooner. I needed a minute with you first." He squinted at me. "He should be fine, if that is what you're worrying about. It's amusing to see how your lowly existence has enabled you to care for such a creature." He laughed. "It's embarrassing to even fathom."

"You're waiting for him to come." It wasn't a question. "What do you want with me then?" I asked, already guessing at the horrible answer.

Daniel smiled. "That is a fun question. And one I'm sure you have already guessed at. But let me start by saying, I do know why you're here. When I arrived, I began to see the image of you in the minds of Rilyin's staff, and I knew it was finally time. You see, I have been here over three years, waiting patiently. It has been excruciatingly boring. I was beginning to think it would never end. I almost entertained the thought that Rilyin had given up. You can't begin to understand how excited I was when you revealed yourself during the war counsel." He lifted a strand of hair from my face. "I'm sure you know what I am."

"Obviously."

"Good. Then you know my family origins."

I didn't even try to hide my confusion. "How would I know that?"

He tilted his head. "They have messed you up quite a bit, haven't they?"

"Lexicon," I tried again.

Nothing.

"All Poeirs originate from the first individuals who received them. I am predominantly a Vek. Therefore, I am related in some way to the Founder, Corvek Daunta."

"So," I said blankly. "If we are talking about Poeir origination, I am related to a lot of old people too."

He rolled his eyes. "I am not simply a descendant, however. Corvek Daunta is also my biological father."

I blinked and stared at him. "Where are you going with this?"

"I saw your brand during your fight with Gauwin," he said. "It is very distinct. There is no doubting whose property you are."

Ice plunged into my stomach. Breathe, I had to remind myself. Breathe through it.

"I am sure my father will have a laugh when he finds out Dugana's final attempt at an heir is none other than one of his very own Directive Crossek's. I wonder if he is aware of your absence."

My mouth was so dry.

"So, this brings me back to your initial question. The answer is simple. My father tasked me with making sure Dugana doesn't double cross him. And if he does, I am to kill him if it is feasible. If it isn't, I am to wound him badly and kill his FengDohrn and the attempted heir. That second to last part is a little tricky though. Tritteon is at a level above the rest. But that is where you will come in. I need you to injure him and injure him badly. I need him significantly weakened in order to succeed. He will kill you for me. Then I can take him out."

He gripped the back of my neck.

"No," I gasped as the stabbing began.

"Under no circumstances will you do anything to injure me. You will stand now."

He stood with me, still holding my neck. And the extent of the blood loss became obvious. The room tipped sideways, and he had to grab me around the waist to hold me up.

"Alright, this will have to be a mind over matter moment," he grunted. I felt him feed more Poeir into me. "You feel no weakness. Your mind is clear, and your body is strong. Stand up straight and do not move."

The overwhelming vertigo disappeared and the black that had been creeping up at the corners of my vision receded. I straightened easily, robotically, and he let go of my waist.

"Why do you need me to help you take him down if it was so easy for you to knock him out with a flash grenade?"

"A flash grenade doesn't injure. It briefly incapacitates. As Dugana's Guardian, he is granted a small fraction of the Protection. This small fraction will not heal him, but while danger is present, it will keep him conscious for as long as his body is fully capable of sustaining consciousness."

"So if you try to kill him, he'll wake up."

"Precisely. Hence, the reason I need him badly injured."

I heard the very distinct sound of a knife leaving a sheath. I grimaced as he pressed it to my throat, just under my chin. "Nazonna is coming. Once again, do not move. This is not the sort of blade you want going into your skin."

"As opposed to any other knife I want to be stabbed with," I hissed.

I wanted to drop my shield, to warn Tritteon to run. But if I did, Daniel would be able to get into my mind as well. I was surprised he hadn't already asked me to remove it.

Tritteon barreled into the suite, coming to an instant halt in the doorway.

"Theena," he whispered, the color leaving his face. His eyes fell to the small pool of blood I'd left on the floor, then lifted slowly back to me and whatever I looked like.

"Run," I mouthed to him.

He didn't move.

"Glad you could join us," Daniel said, resting his head against the left side of mine. I closed my eyes, hoping I was getting blood all over him. "Perhaps we can get all of this taken care of quickly."

"What do you want?" Tritteon said, his voice lacking that force I was accustomed to.

Daniel sighed. "We actually just had this conversation. Theena, would you like to sum it up for him?"

"No," I said forcefully, squeezing my eyes shut tight.

His grip on my neck tightened. "Sum it up for him, Theena."

The command forced my eyes open and I saw the fear enter Tritteon's.

"He knows why I'm really here, that I'm a Directive, that you stole me from his father, Corvek Daunta, and Corvek tasked him with killing both of us as punishment to Rilyin for double-crossing him."

Daniel massaged the places on my neck he had squeezed. "Perfect summation. It has been a pleasure getting to know you these last few years, Tritteon. It is unfortunate your charge could not keep up his end of the deal."

"Kidnapping, murder, and death threats do not make a deal, Daniel," I hissed, surprising myself with my boldness.

He sighed. "Well, it is not my place to have an opinion where my father's decision on a matter has been made. I am simply following orders—something you are perfect at."

"Run, Tritteon," I begged, aloud this time.

Tritteon still didn't move and Daniel laughed.

"I have known him long enough to know that is something he will not do, Theena. His weakness is that he thinks any situation can be repaired in one way or another."

Tritteon looked me straight in the eyes. "Can you fight it?"

"No," I said truthfully.

Tritteon nodded, but continued to hold his ground.

"Are you prepared to kill her then?" Daniel asked, sounding genuinely curious.

"I am," Tritteon admitted.

I could hear the smile in Daniel's voice. "Good. Then lead the way to your training arena, Tritteon."

Tritteon didn't argue. He just nodded and went.

I felt Daniel's hot breath against my ear. "Walk with me and protect me with your life," he commanded. "Say yes if this command is received fully."

I wanted to cry from the pain that compelled me to answer. "Yes," I whispered.

"Good girl."

* * * * * * * * * * * 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

220K 12.4K 32
In the supernatural world there are just three rules you must never break - never be different - never be weak - and never ever be a threat I...
7.9K 1.3K 55
The world as we know it is controlled by Nobles - powerful wizards that have power over everything. It is the age of ice; a time of ages past, lost i...
529 69 17
There are five kingdoms on the planet called "Earth." At a young age, the people living there would manifest and have their own elemental power. It...