The Royal Romance

Autorstwa Norris099

Love awaits in the royal court of Cordonia as New Yorker, Riley Brooks, compete for the Crown Prince! Will sh... Więcej

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
A Special Thanks

Chapter 6

69 3 0
Autorstwa Norris099

It's the day of the derby and Riley just finished watching the races and is walking off the field with Hana.

"So we're on our way to the best party ever?" She grabs Hana's arm and jumps in excitement.

"Well, if your idea of the best party ever is a tea party with lemonade, finger sandwiches, and butter cookies."

"To be honest, I love a good tea party. I know some people think they're childish, but I can't help myself."

"What's not to love? There's nothing cozier than eating scones off a pretty set of china on a sunny afternoon. When I was little, I didn't have that many toys to play with because my parents thought they were frivolous. But I was allowed a tea set so that I could learn to be a proper hostess."

"Naturally," Riley says sarcastically. These royal families are strict beyond belief.

"I spent lots of happy afternoons sipping tea with all my favorite guests. Mr. Sock, Miss Lemon Curd, and Princess Snickerdoodle."

"Uhmm." She looks at Hana, a little sad about how her childhood has played out.

"As I said, I wasn't allowed to have toys, so I had to get a little creative."

"I just hope the company today can keep up."

"Oh, I much prefer your company. You actually talk to me!"

"Princess snickerdoodle was never one for conversation?"

"Not so much. And don't forget, we'll be meeting the Queen today! That's sure to be eventful."

"Ah yes, the Queen. Have you met her before?"

"Once, a long time ago, but I doubt she remembers me. Today will be our first official meeting.

I must confess, I'm a bit nervous."

Hana and Riley arrive at an area where a line of cars awaits. A black town car rolls to a stop near Hana, and a driver gets out to open the door for her. "Well, this is me, Riley. I'll see you at the lawn party."

"Looking forward to it."

She waves her off as a familiar limo pulls up in front of me. The driver comes around to open the door for her, as Maxwell calls out from the limo.

"Hop in!"

She slides into the limo with Maxwell and Bertrand.

"I hope you had a good time!" Maxwell has positive energy emanating from him.

"It was --"

Bertrand cuts me off, "Enough pleasantries. We only have time for business. First of all, was that Lady Hana Lee I saw you with before we pulled up? You two looked friendly."

"Hana and I are becoming friends."

"Hm... interesting. An alliance with her family isn't the worst thing as long as you don't let it distract you from the Prince... In any case, your focus today should be on impressing the Queen. She holds more sway than anyone else at court."

"Even more than the King?"

"Socially, yes. Don't underestimate her. Thankfully, you heeded my recommendation to wear something modern. That'll curry her favor."

Maxwell turns towards Riley, "Yeah, that'll help, but more than that. You need to get her to like you."

"If I'm going to get her to like me, tell me what she likes."

"The Queen enjoys fashion and like a woman with grace and style. She tends to favor the ladies who are originally from Cordonia, so you're at a disadvantage there.

"I see."

"But I'm sure your natural charm will win her over."

"Thanks for the vote of confidence." She smiles at Maxwell and my brain goes through different scenarios of meeting the Queen.

"She has high regard for royal protocol." Bertrand turns to her, "You should call her 'Your Majesty' when you first meet her, and 'ma'am' thereafter. Etiquette-wise, don't forget that you must stay a step or two behind her when keeping company with her."

"Oh! She also loves to play games and can be quite competitive." Maxwell chimes in.

"Ultimately, she's concerned about how the Prince's bride will be partly responsible for Cordonia's future. Keep that in mind when talking to her."

"Got it." Riley has a million different things rolling around her head. She tries to focus on one thing, Liam. He keeps her smiling and ready for whatever comes next. Seeing him shirtless just made him an even better thought.

"I hope you do." Bertrand snaps her out of her dream. "You might have performed well with the press, but remember, Riley, it only takes one slip-up to tear apart the reputation you've built."

A short time later, she arrives at the picnic. The driver opens the limo door for her, and Maxwell takes her arm when she stands up.

"Wow, this looks like something right out of Downton Abbey."

"You've been to an abbey? I find that hard to believe." Bertrand snips as he walks over to them.

"It's a TV show, brother. Pretty good, if I say so myself. Very upstairs, downstairs, that sort of thing."

"Good god, television? Don't bring it up with the Queen. Now Riley, go stand over there with the rest of the ladies in the receiving line..."

She walks over, ignoring Bertrand's attitude, and stands near the other noble ladies.

"Welcome to the tea party," Hana says as they stand anxious to impress.

"Cutting it awfully close there." Olivia spats with her unfriendly smile.

Riley follows Olivia's gaze over to where a herald announces the coming of the Queen of Cordonia! She is a very elegant-looking woman with graceful poise and a beautiful silver dress.

"Welcome, all. I am so delighted you could join us this afternoon."

The Queen makes her way through the crowd, greeting guests. Riley notices a woman on the Queen's left escorting her. She seems very stern but pretty. Hana leans over to whisper to her, "I wonder who that lady with the Queen is."

"Hmm, She looks familiar. I think her name is Madeleine."

"That's Countess Madeleine of Fydelia to you, and if you haven't heard of her, then you really are behind on the times," Olivia answers, matter-of-factly.

Penelope strolls over to join the group, "Her name was all over the tabloids at one point. She was betrothed to the former Crown Prince until he abdicated."

Kiara was soon with them as well, "It was particularly embarrassing for her to be thrown over like that. She was the one who was chosen during that social season, after all. To go through all that and not be a royal."

"Poor thing must be the Queen's guest as a consolation prize."

The Queen passes the Prince's suitors, talking briefly with each. At last, she stops in front of Riley. She steps forward and curtsy. Suddenly all the advice given to her has reached its maximum levels and she begins to forget. As she rises from her curtsy, she takes a breath and thinks of Liam. Then, she knows it will be okay.

"It's an honor to meet you, Your Majesty."

"Ma'am, this is the one I was telling you about." Madeleine chimes in as Riley gives her a gentle nod.

"A pleasure to meet you, Lady Riley Brooks. The press speaks well of you. It takes great effort to manage one's image so responsibly. And you've selected the appropriate attire for the event. They're touting you as 'The Mystery Woman', someone who they can't quite figure out. I hope you realize no one can remain a mystery long when they are a public servant and must attend to the people."

"Of course, ma'am. Trust me when I say I'd take my service quite seriously."

"Lady Riley, tell me, what do you think is the best quality for a ruler to have?"

"The best quality should be a sense of duty. Loyalty to the kingdom you represent and the people you serve will carry you through any crisis."

"Good answer."

"Thank you, ma'am"

"Governance is not to be taken lightly. You will be bombarded daily by a hundred little decisions. Few will be glamorous, and many will weigh on you. Loyalty to the kingdom and to the people must guide your every decision."

"Right."

"As heads of state, we have a responsibility to the people. The press acts as their eyes. We must always portray a sense of calm and dignity. If the rulers appear in control, then everyone will be reassured. Hysteria benefits nobody. Do you agree?"

"Ma'am, I believe we can show the people we're human. If we set the example that it's normal to have gaffes, weaknesses, and anxieties, then we can foster compassion for our faults rather than restrain them."

"Normal people are allowed to have weaknesses. Rulers aren't."

"Ma'am..." Madeleine comes in between the two of them, " I hate to interrupt, but it's time to begin the game."

"Yes, thank you for reminding me. Everyone, please, follow me. It's time to begin the ceremonial croquet match."

The Queen leads the ladies in a procession across the lawn.

"Know that one of you will be the next queen, and I expect you to represent Cordonia well. Madeleine here had been the embodiment of dignity and devotion. It is my hope that you may all learn from her example."

"Thank you, ma'am."

The procession comes upon a bend. The Queen begins to turn, threatening to bump into Riley. She calmly steps back, maintaining her position between the Queen as she turns. She smiles at her and gives her an encouraging nod. Was the Queen testing her?

Across the lawn, a number of croquet hoops have been set up. Prince Liam waits near the game equipment as the procession approaches, greeting each lady as they pass. As she approaches, she holds out her hand, and he brushes his lips over her knuckles sending the butterflies into an uproar. Lowering his voice..."Lady Riley, I'm so pleased to see you."

"Prince Liam, it's nice to see you again too. Is it wrong that I want to kiss you in front of all the other ladies?" She curtsies to him and lowers her voice, imagining her lips on his. She smiles at the thought and he lets out a chuckle.

"Maybe a little. You know that'd cause a real scandal."

"That's half the fun of it!"

"My Lady."

I brush past him and focus my attention on the Queen.

"Custom has it that the Queen and the Prince play a round of croquet with two of the season's suitors. I have chosen Madeleine as my partner." The Queen gestures to Madeleine as she glides next to her.

A flurry of whispers from the noble ladies rises

Penelope gasps, "She's a suitor?"

"Pas bon!" Kiara exclaims.

"That scheming little..." You could practically see the fire emanating from Olivia's red hair.

Madeleine smiles as she confidently remains by the Queen's side.

"As for myself," Liam adds, "I shall choose Lady Riley."

She freezes in place and can't believe what her ears just heard. He chose her! Her heart pounds fast in her chest. She tries to keep herself poised and walk over to his side.

"Riley? But..." Olivia begins to stammer, and Riley shoots her a loving grin.

Penelope grabs her arm, "Shh. The Prince has made his choice."

They separate into two teams, with the Queen and Madeleine and one side and Liam and Riley on the other. They grab their mallets and set up at the beginning of the circuit.

"Looks like we found another way to steal a few moments," Liam whispers to Riley, sending warm chills down her spine.

"Hey, I don't want to cause you alarm or anything, but I don't know how to play croquet."

"No worries. Just follow my lead. Hit your ball through the same hoop as mine, and you'll be fine."

"Just so we're clear, hoops are the little arch-shaped things in the ground, right?"

"Right. Come on, we're up."

Liam smoothly knocks his ball through the hoop. Riley sets up to take her shot and calmly knocks the ball through the hoop. She holds back the urge to jump and pump her fist as Liam touches her arm and moves to the other side.

"Nice swing."

The game continues to proceed through the circuit. The Queen and Madeleine look deep in conversation. While the Prince takes his turn, Riley approaches them.

"Am I interrupting anything?"

Madeleine looks at her and smiles, "No. We were simply discussing how to best undress when meeting with ministers during the coucher."

"We do what now?"
"Oh, goodness, Madeleine. You're too funny." The Queen begins to laugh and I nervously join her.

"Forgive me, Riley, it was only a joke. I hope you won't begrudge a small laugh at your expense."

"Now, let's give Riley the opportunity to speak her mind. Tell me your thoughts on governance, my dear."

"Governance is an art lost on most."

"A sad truth."

"Indeed." She gives the Queen a smile and feels as though she is moving mountains with her.

Liam calls Riley over to the end of the circuit. "My apologies for interrupting your conversation, but I believe it's your turn. No pressure or anything, but if you hit the peg in the center, we'll win the game!"

"That's an easy shot! I can definitely make that."

She remembers that Maxwell and Bertrand told me to impress the Queen. Would making this shot make the Queen feel hurt? The Queen does enjoy competition, so if Riley wins, she could respect her. She lines up for the shot and takes the win for herself. The ball rolls into the center peg.

"I believe that means victory is ours" Liam smiles at her and she turns towards the Queen.

"I'm glad you had the guts to finish the game. Too many ladies have thrown the game on purpose to impress me. That's why I decided to make it a point to lose this match."

"You mean...?" So it was a test after all.

"It was a test... and you passed." The Queen did three gentle claps on her hands and smiled at her. "I'm sure we'll have times in the future where we'll find ourselves on opposing sides. Next time, though, I expect we won't be simply playing croquet and I won't be holding back."

Each one of them lays down their mallets by the center peg for the grounds crew to clean up. Riley hesitates in doing so, she's used to doing things herself. She almost feels bad leaving them there.

"It was a pleasure to make your acquaintance, Lady Brooks. You've shown yourself to be unlike many of the ladies at court, which is no small feat in my eyes."

"You honor me, ma'am"

The Queen addresses all the other ladies on the field, "Thank you all for coming, and I look forward to seeing you at the next event."

The Queen and Madeleine retire behind some bodyguards while the rest of the ladies dispersed to the tables. As Liam and Riley take a seat at one of the tables, Hana approaches.

"Riley, Prince Liam, that was well played."

"Thank you, Hana. Won't you sit with us?" Liam extends his hand to an empty seat and smiles.

"I'd love to!"

As servants bring around piping hot tea, cream, and tiny tea sandwiches, Maxwell and Drake join us.

"Hey! We finally get to eat!" Maxwell exclaims as he pats Riley on the shoulder.

"If you can call this eating." Drake takes his seat with his grumpy stare.

"Drake... Clearly, you and fun don't go together." Riley says, smiling at him.

"I'm fun. I do fun things all the time. ... Don't I?"

"Er... is someone gonna tell him?" Maxwell glances around the table, avoiding contact with Drake.

"Tell me what?" Drake begins to become enraged.

"I'm the fun one. You're kind of the... angry, moody one." Maxwell inches away from Drake.

"What? Angry? Moody?" He inches closer to Maxwell, which causes the rest of the group to move back.

"Look in a mirror, buddy. When your eyebrows get all caved in and you frown? That's being angry."

"I..." Drake begins to cool down, realizing his anger.

"Anyway," Maxwell turns to me, "Onto the big question! Riley, do you think you impressed the Queen?"

"Well, I think I impressed her."

"Fantastic. It's like watching a bird learn to fly on its own."

She turns to Liam who is already looking at her.

"Do you think the Queen approves of me?"

"Yes, I think you performed quite gracefully in front of her." He smiles and grabs her hand for a moment. He quickly releases and she sighs.

"Enough about Riley." Drake states, trying to change the subject, "All the little sandwiches are gone, and I'm still starving."

"Not to worry, there's more food waiting for us back at the palace." Maxwell pats Drake on the shoulder and smiles at Riley.

"I could really go for a cronut right now." She dreams about the cronut shop back in New York. She would go there every day before work.

"A what?" Liam looks at her full of confusion.

"I think you mean donut, Riley," Hana says as she lets out a little laugh.

"You haven't heard of cronuts before?" She looks around the table at all the confused faces.

"Can't say that I have," Maxwell says.

"Really? Okay, guys, we have a critical problem to fix. None of you have had cronuts."

"Please tell me it doesn't have anything to do with crows." Maxwell starts to sink in his chair scared.

"It's the sumptuous inside of a croissant mixed with the glazed outside of a donut. It's one of the best pastries ever invented."

"It sounds... American."

"This is true, Maxwell. From New York with love! We have to get some!"

"While that sounds like quite an adventure. I don't think the schedule will allow for it." Liam holds his head down in disappointment.

"Then how about a little jailbreak tonight? Think we can sneak out of the palace and go for a cronut run?" Riley gives Liam a sneaky smile, "I'm pretty sure I saw them in a window at a nearby bakery while we were driving here."

"That does sound like fun." Liam begins to have a playful, carefree look in his eyes.

"Guys, meet me out front once it gets dark! It's time to have an adventure!" Riley grabs Liam's hand under the table and runs my fingers along his knuckle. He chuckles and shakes his head at me. She gives him a wink and continue eating.

That night, Riley, Hana, Drake, and Maxwell wait for Liam outside the palace.

"Prince Liam is taking a while." Maxwell checks his watch and starts to walk in circles.

"He's the Prince. We'll be lucky if he can sneak out at all." Drake puts his hands in his pockets and reaches his head up to the sky out of boredom.

"There he is!" Hana exclaims, and Riley quickly turns to see him running towards them.

"You made it!" she smiles and he stares at her.

"It's been a while since I've had to sneak out of my own bedroom window. I nearly fell into the rose bushes. But I stand before you unscathed."

"And now the real adventure begins!" She takes his hand and they begin walking.

A little while later, they are walking down the beach towards a small pastry shop.

"Is it just me, or is it more fun to be out at night when you're also breaking the rules?" Maxwell begins to skip around the empty streets and they all playfully laugh.

"It's more fun when you know you're headed to something delicious!" Hana claps her hands together trying to contain her excitement.

"After the day spent answering the press and The Queen, this is the sweetest freedom." Liam smiles at Riley.

"And it's about to get sweeter." She gestures towards the bakery as they arrive and Maxwell throws open the doors.

"We need all of your finest cronuts, please!" Maxwell exclaims.

Hana whispers to Maxwell, "I think you're supposed to go to the counter, not just shout from the doorway."

"Oh..."

"Like normal people," Drake says as he walks past him.

"I'll handle this. You guys take a seat." Riley goes up to the counter and orders a cronut for everyone. She takes them and joins the others at the table. She sits next to Liam and he drapes his arm around her chair. She leans a little closer to him and smiles while her heart pounds.

"Well, these look delicious," Liam says, not taking his eyes off her.

Everyone reaches in and grabs a cronut.

"All together?" Riley says holding up hers as if to clink them together.

"One... Two... Th--"

"Delicious!" Maxwell yells out and causes them to sigh.

"Maxwell!" Drake yells.

"I regret nothing. MMmmmmmmmm... a flaky, crusty, glazed cloud of flavor..." They all take a bite as Maxwell devours his.

"I really must take some of these back home. I've never tasted anything so light and fluffy and sweet!" Hana says as she daintily cuts into hers with a fork and knife. She is still so proper away from courtly life.

"This rivals the finest pastries from the palace chefs. Even Drake is smiling." Liam says as he grabs Riley's hand and squeezes. Her heart flutters and she looks into his eyes. She gets lost staring into those blue eyes once again and can't seem to turn off her smile.

"The last time I had something this good, Bertrand hired a pastry chef from a Michelin-starred restaurant to make his birthday cake." Maxwell's voice lifts Riley from her daydream.

"Wait for a second, Are you saying that Bertrand used to actually have fun?" She says letting out a chuckle.

"Heh, Yeah, he wasn't always like he is now." Maxwell puts his head down and Riley reaches her hand across the table to give him a reassuring look.

"There was a time when Bertrand would've been here with us tonight," Liam says as Riley glances in disbelief.

"Really?"

"Yes. We were all close, once. But, he's grown distant in the past few years." Liam starts to fiddle with his fingers and looks down.

Maxwell glances toward him and puts on a smile, "Aw, Bertrand's gonna be fine. He's just sorting some things out. You know what? I'll even bring him back a cronut."

"That's sweet of you." Hana smiles at Maxwell.

Drake runs to them, "It's a noble thought, but we'll see if that cronut actually makes it back to the palace."

"I hope you're not implying I'd eat my brother's cronut..." Maxwell starts to eat his third cronut then wraps one up to take to Bertrand. "Well, it's the thought that counts anyway, right?"

"I can't believe mine is gone already." Hana sighs and places one hand on her stomach. "It was delicious."

"What did I tell you? Have faith in me." Riley says, smiling in her triumph.

"That was a treat! Thanks, Riley." Maxwell pats her on the back.

"We should sneak out more often," Drake says, emitting a sense of happiness.

"I wish I could." Liam looks at her and takes her hand again.

The night wanders on as I laugh and talk with everyone.

"Wow, it's gotten late." Hana looks at the clock hanging on the wall of the bakery and gasps.

Liam looks at Riley and sighs, "We should be getting back."

"Don't want the kingdom to panic over a missing prince?" Riley joke as she nudges his arm.

"Precisely. I've already been gone for quite some time."

Drake begins to get up, "Historians will tell of the day when Cordonia nearly collapsed because the Prince went out for the cronuts."

They all let out a well-needed laugh.

"Okay, maybe it's not that bad, but we should still head back to the palace."

They started walking along the sand speckled sidewalk. Suddenly, Riley spots a figure lurking behind us. She pokes Liam to get his attention and when he sees the man he's shocked.

"Bastien? What are you doing here?

"I couldn't let you go out without security, Prince Liam."

"How did you even know?"

"Please, Your Highness. I was assigned to your brother before this. I've seen every trick in the book."

"I'm sorry to have troubled you."

"As I said, I was assigned to your brother. Compared to him, you're hardly any trouble at all. But..."

"But we should be getting back." Liam turns toward Riley with an apologetic glance. She smiles and nods and she takes my hand.

"You go on ahead," Bastien says as he begins to turn away. "I'll trail behind and keep an eye on things."

"Thank you, Bastien."

"My pleasure."

Everyone begins heading down the boardwalk, back towards the palace.

"That was one of the most excellent ideas you came up with," Liam says as he swings his arm around Riley.

"I thought we could all use a little fun." She entangles her fingers into his hand.

"It's more than that, it's ... really seeing everything." Liam takes a moment to look at the beach and the shops around him. "It's strange. I'm the potential leader of my own country. Yet there's so much of it I haven't experienced."

"Well, that's why I'm here. I'm your escape into your own backyard."

"You have no idea how happy I am to have you here." He pulls her closer and she feels herself warming up to him. He smells so fresh and clean. He has on just enough cologne to make you want to snuggle into him. "Being an icon of sorts robs me of certain luxuries. Like visiting people, going out with friends... Spending time with you..."

"Liam, you know you should be fair to the other ladies." She nudges his side and curls up closer.

"Maybe I don't have to when I'm outside the palace."

"Ohh, scandalous."

"Riley, thank you for another rare glimpse beyond my princely world."

As she stares into his eyes, she can see them sparkle and light up. She wants to kiss him and lose herself at that moment.

"Hey! You two are falling behind. Catch up or we'll leave you!" Maxwell pulls her out of her moment with Liam and she sighs.

"Looks like we better close the distance." Liam runs his hand down to the small of her back to guide her forward.

"But not too fast. I want to hang onto these precious moments." She looks up at him and closes her hand around his so they are walking side by side.

"I will oblige, my lady."

Riley catches up with the group, and walks away together, laughing under the moonlight.

The next morning, she wakes up early to an insistent knock at her door. Quickly changing clothes, she answers it and finds Maxwell and Bertrand outside.

"Rise and shine, Riley!" Maxwell says, as his excitement only makes her want to crawl back into bed. She lets out a faint sound trying to make out the word coffee but not fully forming the word.

"I'll assume that was the appropriate morning greeting followed by the proper use of my title."

"Why are you both here so early? And how are you so cheerful?" She crawls back into my bed and put a pillow on top of her head to drown out their voices.

Maxwell grabs the pillow and pulls her off the bed, "We just heard where the next social event will be, and if we're going to arrive there with everyone else, we should get packed. It's going to be fuuuunnnn!"

"Where are we going?"

"To the northern region of Cordonia, to the snow!"

"Snow? I love the snow!"

"I wouldn't celebrate so soon." Bertrand walks over with a stern look on his face, "The family that's hosting us up there, the place we're staying at, belongs to the Lythikos dutchy."

"That means?"

"That you're about to go straight into Olivia's home territory. If you want to get time with Prince Liam, you're going to have to beat her at her own game."

"...Crap."

Czytaj Dalej

To Też Polubisz

28.7K 560 36
---Disclaimer--- I don't own any pictures posted here. Photo credit is given for each photo used in this book. We all know how handsome he is and gi...
755 36 28
Lily Starke goes to Cordonia for the man not the prince, even though his best friend is way more her speed. They push and pull her across the country...
2.6K 84 11
It's 1815, and you have come of age. Your mother wants you to marry into money, but you want to find true love. What happens when you find someone th...
104 18 8
King Uther of Forland is old and failing. His grandson and heir, Prince Richard, lives the good life: anything that gives him an adrenaline rush. He...