By Sun and Candlelight / CAMR...

By laflor777

Lauren is raising her three-year-old daughter alone. She's moved them to Alta Vista where she'll teach at the... More

Authors Note
Chapter 1
Chapter 2: Meeting Camila and Lauren
Chapter 3 - PT and Preschool
Chapter 4: Campus meeting
Chapter 5: Therapy and soccer
Chapter 6: Harvest Festival one
Chapter 7 - Harvest Fest and tacos
Chapter 8: Harvest Fest and Penguin
Chapter 9: Harvest Fest and Fireworks
Chapter 10: After the Fest
Chapter 11: Camila's injury rears its head
Chapter 12 - Ally and Ariana Help Camila
Chapter 13 - Normani and Dinah lunch
Chapter 14 - The First Date
Chapter 15 - The First Date Part 2
Chapter 16 - Brunch
Chapter 17 - Mulan and Dinah's Very Hard Day
Chapter 18 - Support for Dinah
Chapter 19 - Everyone Loves Dinah
Chapter 20 - An Interview And A Double Date
Chapter 21 - End Of The Double Date
Chapter 22 - Happy Endings for Dinah
Chapter 23 - Bonding At The Park
Chapter 24 - Camila, Lauren and Lori At Home
Chapter 25 - Shopping for Salt Lake City
Chapter 26 - Salt Lake City Part 1
Chapter 27 - Finally
Chapter 28 - Finally, Again
Chapter 29 - Finally again, again
Chapter 30 - The Shop
Chapter 31 - Going home
Chapter 32 - Talking commitments
Chapter 33 - Thanksgiving
Chapter 34 - More Thanksgiving
Chapter 35 - End of Thanksgiving
Chapter 36 - Ruby, Normani and Dinah
Chapter 37 - The Gala, Part 1
Chapter 38 - The Gala, Part 2
Chapter 39 - Christmas
Chapter 40 - Christmas, Part 2
Chapter 41 - Moving in and going to the park
Chapter 42 - Camila gets treatment
Chapter 43 - Camila's Surgery
Chapter 44 - Things Get Scary
Chapter 45 - Recovery time in Salt Lake City
Chapter 46 - Recovering And Seeing Lori
Chapter 47 - Home
Chapter 49 - Release
Chapter 50

Chapter 48 - Home with Lori

1.1K 52 16
By laflor777

Three weeks later...

Camila was relaxing on the couch waiting for Lauren to arrive home with Lori from school. Other than cuddling in bed with Lauren at night, this was Camila's favorite part of the day. Lori was usually in a good mood upon arriving home and would tell Camila about whatever caught her fancy that day. They would have a snack together and draw or play a game. Lauren would sometimes join in but would often leave them for some time alone.

The door opened and Lori ran excitedly to the couch, grinning. She jumped up next to Camila and plopped onto her lap.

"Lori, be careful!" Lauren said sternly.

"Guess what?" Lori asked, smiling.

"What, little one?" Camila asked, grinning.

"I got to paint outside today!" Lori said.

"Outside?" Camila asked, "That's crazy. Are you sure?"

"YES!" Lori said, nodding her head enthusiastically, "Miss Peggy let us paint on the ground."

"Well, that sure sounds like fun," Camila said, "I wish I could go to your school."

Lori looked at Camila with a confused expression, "No, you're old."

"Hey, I'm not old!" Camila said, giggling and giving Lori a tickle, making her laugh.

When Lori settled down she looked at Lauren, "Can we have a snack, Momma?"

"I'm cutting up some apples already," Lauren answered, looking out at them from behind the counter.

"Apples are my favorite," Camila said, smiling.

"You certainly have turned over a whole new leaf if apples are your favorite snack," Lauren said, chuckling.

"Hey, I've been working very hard on my core strength," Camila said, then she looked at Lori, "That means making my tummy really strong so I don't have to use my leg as much."

"So you have to eat apples?" Lori asked, scrunching up her nose in confusion.

"I have to eat lots of fruits and veggies and food that's good for me," Camila answered.

Lauren walked over with a tray of cut apples and put it down.

"I'm a big fan of your new core muscles," Lauren said, winking at Camila, "And I hate to ruin your diet, but I'm exhausted. Do you mind if we order out tonight?"

"Exhausted? Pffft," Camila said, shaking her head dramatically, "Just because you drive Lori to school and pick her up, and you teach two classes, and you drive me to all my appointments, and you do all the cooking and cleaning? I don't get it!"

"Let's get tacos!" Lori suggested excitedly.

"I guess we could do that," Lauren said, "If it's okay with you, Camz."

"Let's get Santa Fe," Camila suggested, "I'll take the ceviche and we can get some guacamole to all share."

"Okay, I'll order in a bit," Lauren said happily.

"Can I draw?" Lori asked.

"Of course, come to the table," Lauren said.

"Are you coming?" Lori asked, looking at Camila.

"I'm going to talk to your mom about something," Camila said, "You start without me."

Lauren took out the supplies and Lori sat down and started working on a picture. Lauren went back to the sofa and plopped next to Camila and cuddled into her side. Camila draped her arm around Lauren and gave her a quick kiss.

"Hey, I was talking to Ally today," Camila said, "And she says I'll be off the crutches in a couple of weeks. I'll still have a brace, but I'll be able to walk."

"That's wonderful news," Lauren said, grinning at Camila happily.

"So, I'm thinking," Camila said, "Maybe we could pin down a date for the wedding?"

Lena grabbed her laptop and pulled up the calendar. They had already discussed the plans. They would get married at Eliza's house, down by the lake. There would be less than twenty people there and Camila had already talked to Mike about having his restaurant cater the party after. Mike and Imra would be invited, of course, but Mike assured Camila that his sous chef would be able to handle it and he could enjoy himself.

They would take care of getting their own outfits and surprising one another. They would go together to buy matching rings, and they had already looked online and settled on a style. Camila would take care of getting the musicians. Lauren would take care of the flowers. Best of all, John would officiate. He was a deacon at his church and often did weddings. When Camila asked if he would conduct their ceremony, he hadn't been able to hold back a stray tear or two.

"Lori's birthday is in two weeks, so we don't want to do it that weekend," Lauren said.

"My birthday?" Lori asked, from the kitchen table, suddenly listening in to the conversation.

"Not yet, but it's coming next month," Lauren said.

"When?" Lori asked, her eyes wide with excitement.

"It's still a while away," Lauren said, looking at Camila and rolling her eyes, "I'll let you know when it's closer."

"Okay," Lori answered, sounding disappointed and making the women chuckle.

"And Dinah and Mani rescheduled Napa for the last weekend of February," Camila said, "So that's out."

"How about March 10th?" Lauren asked.

"Works for me," Camila said, "Let me text the group and ask if that's a good date."

She grabbed her phone and pulled up the text string she had named "My Fam." The string included Camila, Lauren, Dinah, Normani, Eliza and John. She sent out the text.

Camila: Is everyone available for a wedding on March 10th?

Dinah: Who's getting married?

Camila: HaHa DJ, very funny

Eliza: I am!!!!! This is so exciting... I can't wait!!!!!

John: Sounds perfect

Normani: Dinah is actually laughing aloud at her text, she thinks she's hilarious

Camila: I'm sorry, Mani. I don't understand why you find her attractive.

Dinah: Fine, maybe I'll plan something else for March 10th

Camila: Okay, then, everyone important is in...

Eliza: Girls, cut it out! Can't we ever have a normal, happy text string?

Camila: Nope

Dinah: I agree with Mila.

Camila: See, Mom, we can agree on something

Lauren: Okay, so March 10th it is! I'll try to make Camila behave. Mani, you do your best with Dinah

Eliza: I'm so glad I have two new mature daughters in the family now

Dinah: Really, Mom?

Camila: Traitor

John: I see I'm going to have to work on a strong sermon about family values

Camila looked at Lauren and giggled. Lauren was smiling widely. She still had moments where she couldn't believe she was part of a real family, playfully loving one another.

Lori climbed down from her seat and walked to the sofa, proudly holding a picture in her hand. Lauren and Camila both looked up from their phones to see her approaching.

"You guess first," Lauren whispered, giggling.

"No way," Camila answered, grinning.

Lori held up a picture. It was clearly a house with three people standing next to it. Two of the people were taller and one was shorter. All of the people were basically stick figures, although one of the tall people had a circle for a body instead of a line. Camila looked at the picture and smiled.

"Is that us?" Camila asked.

"Yes!" Lori said happily. She pointed to the short figure first, "This is me!"

"You look very pretty," Camila said smiling.

"This is you," Lori said, pointing to the tall stick figure.

Camila started giggling, even as she tried her best to muffle her laughter. Lauren looked at her with a smirk.

"I guess that means I'm the round one," Lauren said.

Camila's body was shaking as she tried not to explode with laughter. Lori was nodding and smiling happily.

"You have more round spots than Camzi," Lori said plainly.

Lauren shook her head slightly. She couldn't help but grin as she saw Camila, face red, trying her best not to break into loud laughter.

"I guess I do," Lauren said, "It's a lovely picture, why don't you go hang it on the fridge."

Lori took it and skipped toward the refrigerator to find a spot. Camila let out a breath and smiled widely at Lauren.

"If it helps at all," Camila said chuckling, "I love your round spots."

"Shut up," Lauren said, unable to hold back a giggle herself.

"And by the way," Camila said, "You were so busy noticing your oval torso, you probably didn't notice that my neck was as long as my entire body. Either that or my arms come out of my waist, I'm not sure."

They both laughed and Lori came back and happily climbed up on the couch and managed to squeeze between them.

"I guess I'll order dinner now," Lauren said, "Sound good?"

Camila and Lori both nodded and Lauren went about ordering the Mexican food. Lori went to her room to play in her playhouse and Camila grabbed her laptop to check her email. She had started back working for Ed and they were finalizing a deal with Palm Tech.

The evening went smoothly as they enjoyed dinner. Lori cooperated with bath time, getting in without a fuss. Some nights the bath produced stubborn tantrums and on other nights it was Lori's favorite. Neither Camila nor Lauren could figure out the rhyme or reason for it, but they were always relieved when Lori didn't complain.

Lori emerged from the hall in her pajamas and walked over to the couch and climbed next to Camila. Lauren walked out behind Lori and went behind the kitchen counter to make sure everything was cleaned up from dinner. Lori looked at Camila with a smile.

"Can you read me a book in bed tonight, Momma?" Lori asked.

Lauren looked up, thinking Lori was talking to her. She realized Lori was looking at Camila for an answer. Camila's mouth was slightly agape as she tried to compose herself to answer. Lauren could see the moisture in her eyes as she took a deep breath.

"Of course, I can," Camila finally answered, "Let me grab my crutches. You go pick one and I'll be right in."

Lori slid off the couch and skipped happily toward her bedroom. Camila looked up and met Lauren's eyes and they both smiled and wiped at their tears. Lauren walked over and grabbed Camila's crutches and handed them to her. Camila stood and pulled at Lauren's waist and brought her close.

"Do you think that was an accident?" Camila asked, clearly hopeful that it was purposeful.

"No, love," Lauren said, grinning softly, "I'm sure it wasn't."

"Are you okay with it?" Camila asked, her voice just about a whisper.

"Camz, baby," Lauren said, placing her hand on Camila's jaw and making their eyes meet, "I've never been more okay with anything. I think it's beautiful."

"Me too," Camila said, grinning.

Lauren leaned up and kissed Camila softly. When she pulled back, Camila was grinning.

"I guess I should go read her story," Camila said.

"Yep, get in there," Lauren said, smiling.

Camila made her way to Lori's room to find her waiting with "Guess How Much I Love You" on her lap. Camila grinned and sat on the side of the bed and took the book.

"You picked my favorite," Camila said, smiling.

"I like this one too," Lori said happily.

Camila made a big deal out of having different voices for the hares and of making motions with her hands to act out the story. Lori giggled as she read. Lauren stood in the doorway, smiling widely as she watched and listened. Camila got to the end of the book and read the last line using her own voice.

"I love you right up to the moon and back," Camila said, smiling at Lori.

"I love you too," Lori answered, grinning.

Camila leaned down and kissed Lori's forehead. She turned and motioned to Lauren to come closer to them. Lauren walked over and kissed Lori's cheek.

"Good night, my girl," Lauren said.

"Good night, Mommy," Lori said.

Lauren turned off the lamp and she and Camila walked from the bedroom. They went and settled on the couch and turned on the television. They watched a baking contest then became engrossed in Killing Eve, snuggled up next to each other. When the show ended Camila turned off the television and looked at Lauren.

"I'll show you my core muscles if you show me your round parts," Camila said with a grin.

Lauren laughed and shook her head as she stood, "Come on, you fool... and think of a better line than that on the way."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.3K 158 5
This is my second story, this is actually a one shot story but I decided to break it into parts because I think it's too long to post it as a one par...
45K 1.5K 18
You've always had trouble accepting your flaws and just as you start to gain confidence in them you're moved to a new place where you have to start a...
252K 8.4K 26
Camila was never able to have children of her own. So she adopts Lauren, a three year old little girl in need of a loving home. She falls for her bes...
751K 18.1K 43
Captain Jauregui has twin boys with her long time friend Camila, when she's home on leave she finds out that Camila has a boyfriend. She and her boys...