Husband For Hire

Oleh Krazy_Kiran

Come . . . but don't fall in love. St. Cloud--a cold city of cold people--has brought our hero down. Our hero... Lebih Banyak

Description
1. Happy Jail Birthday
2. You Destroyed Me
3. Education
4. My Bed Is Mine
5. Fake Damsel
6. Wifey & Me
7. Drunk Part I
8. Drunk Part II
9. Ashar Saves The Day
10. Sunny Is Ridiculously Hot
11. I Screwed Up
12. Slightly Remorseful
13. The Water's Very Blue and The Day's Very Sunny
14. Attractive Eyes
15. Sunny With A Chance
16. Strike 3
17. Snowy Night
18. You're Thirty!
19. Divorce
20. Suspended
21. Let's Talk
22. I Love You
23. Honeymoon
24. Wicked Sunny
25. My Dear, You're In For a Shock
26. You Love Me the Most
27. Keep It Confidential
28. To the Hospital
29. Terminate the Contract
30. Keep it PG-13
31. Breaking News
32. The Sound of Dhols
33. First Day In India
34. Sleepless and Heatless
35. Arsalan Virk
36. Promise?
37. Lizards, Veer Zaara, & Contracts
39. You're Reckless
40. You
41. Cold Showers
42. South Sea Pearls
43. I Took Her Spot
44. Fake Pregnancies and Priests
45. Jaan, the Lyricist

38. Let Them Wonder

144 24 10
Oleh Krazy_Kiran

38. Let Them Wonder
Operation make Ashar love Annie is on!

* * *

"Why didn't you tell me this before?"

Both of us sat in the darkness.

For the first time in my life, a guy I had taken interest in told me he was leaving me. Normally, it was me who backed out before things could get anywhere. I almost felt a part of me collapse as this information processed throughout my body.

Now, the heartbreak songs seemed legitimate.

To say I was shocked would've been an understatement. I had no gist of what my mother or my fake husband had been cooking right under my nose!

Ashar was also taken aback by the fact that it was my first hearing about the contract being terminated.

"I assumed your mom must've told you," he said. "That's why I took you to her with me, so you knew I'd be coming to India. We'd take care of the contract later."

"Ashar," I said keeping my emotions controlled, "when you went to talk to her, she agreed to terminate the contract?"

"Yes," he answered. "But she said to wait two or three weeks. Then, this trip came up. By the time we get back, the divorce papers should be ready."

I was crushed by his words.

In fact, a long silence fell between us as the only sound that came was from the forgotten lizard roaming around.

"I thought you'd be thrilled hearing this," he said breaking the silence.

"Hmm . . . Goodnight, Ashar."

I went under the covers and turned so my back was facing him. It took a few seconds before he also laid back down.

My mind was entirely baffled by Ashar and mom's plans. I spent the whole night waiting for sleep to arrive. It never did.

The following morning, I got ready rather early.

Surprisingly, Jhanvi was already downstairs having tea with Ashar's stepmother in the living room. Her morning sickness was still in the game or she wanted to avoid Sunny?

"Annie?" Jhanvi asked in surprise. "It's six in the morning."

"Not in the time zone I'm from," I said lightly.

"Have a seat," the elder woman told me. "I'll make some chai for you."

"I'm—yes, thank you," I said, taking a u-turn. It was better if she left, so I could talk to Jhanvi. Ashar's stepmom hurried to the kitchen to make more chai. I took a seat next to my cousin on the sofa. "I have some breaking news."

"What happened now?" she asked. The cup that was raised to her lips froze. "Did my dad and auntie find out we're in India?"

I shook my head and in a hushed tone, I quickly informed her of what happened last night. The cup in her hands went back on the table as she had her hands covering her mouth.

"Are you gonna be sick?" I asked concerned.

"No!" she said putting her hands down. "I can't believe it."

"I want to go home," I whispered. "He has no interest in me. That's why he forgave me easily and he has been acting kinder. He thinks it's one month left with me and then, he'll be free."

"Oh, Annie—"

"I'm fine," I said decisively. "I'm perfectly fine. It is what it is. I'm going to work in Hollywood. I can find any actor or model better looking than him."

Jhanvi sighed. "I married a model. Trust me, it's not any better. Your husband showed more respect and loyalty in a fake relationship than mine in a real one."

I pressed the bridge of my nose. The last seven hours had been the hardest hours of my life where I continuously told myself I could do better. Ashar was a waiter at my mom's hotel. When had my standards dropped this low?

Jhanvi's words washed over all those thoughts. She was right. Ashar had been respectful towards me as well as loyal. He hadn't disclosed our relationship to anyone nor had he gone out with anyone while in the contract. Even when he was mad at me, he slipped into bed with me to keep me warm. He was willing to protect me from the lizard.

Hating him wasn't possible.

Ashar's step mother returned with the chai. All of us enjoyed in silence. The guys and their baba joined us after two hours for breakfast. Ashar went out to get his paperwork out of the way. His parents decided to take us shopping for Indian clothes.

The Lohri event was this Saturday.

We spent an hour window shopping because the old couple was determined to buy us the fanciest clothes.

It was mid-afternoon when Sunny stopped at a fruit juice stall. Although it was January, the sun was beating down on us and the crowd intensified the heat. We needed hydration. The parents refused because they were diabetics, but told us go ahead.

"I need a drink," Sunny announced.

"We all know what happens after you drink," Jhanvi taunted in a low voice.

I winced remembering the fight between Ashar and Sunny that day at Jhanvi's dad's party. The fight that led to the divorce. No wonder Ashar kept telling me to check in with Jhanvi. He probably felt responsible for breaking his brother's marriage. I hadn't even realized.

"It's juice, Jhanvi," he said with a forced smile. "I'll take orange juice. Annie, which one would you like?"

"Pineapple," I told the vendor, ignoring Sunny. Turning to my cousin, I asked, "Do you want juice?"

"I don't think I can handle it," she said shaking her head. She was breathing heavily, hands on her hips.

Sunny's eyes flicked to her at those words.

"I keep forgetting you're still recovering from food poisoning," I said loudly. "Maybe you should refrain from street foods and drinks."

She shot me a grateful look. I could tell she wasn't feeling well. The vendor handed Sunny and I our fresh juice.

I tried some and it was decent. I offered Jhanvi and she took a sip cautiously.

"It's good," she whispered.

"This one's good too," Sunny said, extending to her his glass.

"No, thank you," she said politely. It was only for show for the parents.

I shared mine with Jhanvi before we headed towards a huge showroom with heavily embroidered clothes hanging all around the windows and walls. My eyes fell on a mannequin wearing a gorgeous flowery peach sari with pearls along with green hem. It was paired with a heavily embellished henna green blouse with full sleeves.

Jhanvi saw me checking it out and raised her eyebrows. I quickly shook my head.

My group was ushered towards a long bench by an overly enthusiastic salesman. He started showing us the latest trending designs in Indian women clothing. Ashar's stepmom shortlisted six elegant outfits—all anarkali or salwar kameez. No sari.

"Which ones do you like?" she asked us.

Jhanvi pointed at the ones she liked. I nodded along in agreement that all the outfits were beautiful. My traitor eyes begrudgingly moved towards the sari as Ashar's stepmother started negotiating the prices.

"One more," Jhanvi said. All of us looked at her. "Can we add that baby peach sari?"

She pointed at the sari I had been eyeing. I shook my head at her.

"We have nowhere to wear it," I told her. "It's too cold for a sari."

"I'll wear it," Jhanvi said firmly.

"Sari?" Sunny asked and then he looked at his dad as if waiting for something to happen. Even his stepmother turned to her husband.

Was there a problem with saris?

His baba looked at Jhanvi and me before nodding with a smile. "It's your day. Whatever you want, tell me. I want to treat my daughter-in-laws."

Sunny and his stepmother looked at the man with utter amazement. Sunny was almost laughing as he was watching the salesman pack the sari for us. It wasn't laughter from amusement. It was more mockery.

Ashar's baba paid the bill before all of us left.

Jhanvi and I followed at the back of the group towards the car.

"Why did you get the sari?" I asked Jhanvi in a lowered voice.

"We're gonna leave with a bang," she replied.

"What?"

"Let's make Ashar regret terminating the contract," she said. "If that's what he wants, we'll make sure he knows what he's leaving behind."

"And a sari will help us achieve that?" I asked confused.

"Not just the sari," she said, staring daggers at the back of Sunny's head. He was a few feet ahead. "We're not going to give them any more attention than they deserve. Let them wonder. Let them ponder. Let them pray to God for forgiveness for leaving such beautiful women."

Whether it was the pregnancy or my cousin's normal avenging nature, I allowed her to pour her heart out. She made multiple schemes of how we had to look good, ignore the brothers, make them jealous, and make them regret.

Ashar arrived at the house the same time as us. His baba told us he would take us to their farm in the evening to look at the land. His stepmother took our measurements before sending the clothes to a tailor for custom stitching.

I relaxed in my room and fell asleep after today's long excursion. Last night's lack of sleep compensated now.

When I suddenly jolted awake from whatever nightmare I was having, I saw Ashar standing across the room watching me.

"What the heck?" I grumpily. I tried fixing my hair with sleepy eyes.

"Finally, you woke up," he said, looking at his watch. "Baba told me to get you downstairs fifteen minutes ago."

"Why didn't you wake me up?" I yawned and got our of bed, hoping there was no drool. "Do you enjoy watching people like a creep?"

"You were snoring like a beast. I was afraid to awaken you."

"Don't worry, you'll get rid of this beast in a month."

I went to the bathroom and washed my face before going back into the room. Ashar was still waiting.

As I walked past him to exit the room, he blocked my way.

"Are you alright?" he asked.

"Does it matter?" I asked in the same fake concerned tone as his.

"If you don't want to go to the farm—"

"I'm perfectly fine," I said with a forced smile. "Let's go."

He blinked before allowing me to leave the room. I hoped he noticed the pain in my tone. It was all because of him.

Ashar's stepmother decided to stay behind to prepare dinner for us.

Baba drove down a few blocks before we entered a dirt pathway with vast lands expanding to the horizon. He stopped the car in the middle of the pathway in front of two ten feet tall black gates.

We entered a rundown shack looking place with different rooms holding cows and buffaloes. Some hay laid on the side. The employees were running around collecting cow poop or milking cows.

Jhanvi and I wrinkled out noses at the smell and watched out step. Poop bits covered the dirt floor.

"If we stay here too long, I'll throw up," Jhanvi mumbled.

"Me too," I admitted.

"Throw up over there," Ashar told me, pointing to a corner with stray bushes. I hadn't realized he was following me and my cousin.

Ashar's baba started showing the guys the area.

I looped my arm around Jhanvi's and took her away from the men, ignoring them. We pretended to check out the lone blue tractor standing in a corner, glistening the setting sun. Someone kept it well maintained and spotless. I looked over my shoulder at the men checking out the farm animals close up.

"Don't do that." Jhanvi slapped my hand lightly. She pulled out her mini compact mirror and began patting her oily nose and forehead with powder, "Don't let them know you care."

"I don't," I said nonchalantly.

"If you want," she said, "you could tell him your feelings. What's the worst that can happen? A divorce? That's inevitable, anyway."

"Wah, Jhanvi," I said, clapping my hands. "First, you tell me to ignore him. Then, you say declare your feelings. What do you want me to do?"

"Sorry, I'm a mess," she said, still staring at herself in the compact mirror. "I'll tell you one thing, though. You might still have a chance."

"What?"

"I'm saying maybe your trip here won't be in vain," she said.  "You could win Ashar over."

"How can you be sure?" I inquired.

She hooked her arm through mine and tilted the mirror in her hands to show me what she had been looking at.

"He has been sneaking glances at you."

I looked closely into the mirror and saw Ashar and Sunny with their backs towards us. Their father was explaining something but Ashar's neck extended a few times to look over at us.

For once, I grinned at Jhanvi who winked, closing the compact mirror.

"Operation make Ashar love Annie is on!"

* * *

A/N

Happy Monday!

How is life?

How was the chapter?

Any sympathies for our rich chicas?

Any predictions?

What time zones are you guys in? I'm posting this at 8pm Monday. I think most of you guys might be ahead of me.

Thank you for all your votes and comments so far! I appreciate it a lot!

—K-K-Kiran

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

116K 5.4K 65
(NOT EDITED CURRENTLY) |•| Sidhart Singhania, A cold ruthless yet successful businessman... Meera Khanna, A sunshineyy doctor... Sidhart was gettin...
3.8M 133K 83
STOP RIGHT THERE Mrs Priya Ekaansh Raghuvanshi, a shiver ran down her spine listening his dangerous voice she gulp and tightly close her eyes,she was...
1.7M 71.5K 70
It's time to fall for cocky, charming, and handsome Billionaire! Or is it? Anyways, life gives you what you never expected out of it in the mess wher...
925K 36.7K 49
"Don't you dare think that I will ever say yes to marry you because today I will tell my parents that I don't want to marry you" I said smirking and...