Grey

By sjstories95

Aurora Thorn strives to be a successful music journalist but can't escape the shadow cast by her rockstar fat... More

Author's Note
Character Map
Prologue: Rory
Prologue: Finn
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Sixteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty-One
Twenty-Two
Twenty-Three
Twenty-Four
Twenty-Five
Twenty-Six
Twenty-Seven
Twenty-Eight
Twenty-Nine
Thirty
Thirty-One
Thirty-Two
Thirty-Three
Thirty-Four
Thirty-Five
Thirty-Six
Thirty-Seven
Thirty-Eight
Thirty-Nine
Forty
Teaser

Eleven

1.2K 72 98
By sjstories95

[RORY]

The light summer breeze fueled the warmth radiating in my chest as I took in the scene around me. We were seated outside under a blanket of fairy lights and greenery, pitchers of Margaritas chilling on the table. Cal and Marnie were to my immediate right, Em and Bryce to my left, as well as a few old friends from school. An assortment of Mexican dishes had been ordered and I was content - just full enough, just tipsy enough, just relaxed enough.

Many years of trial and error seemed to have paid off and I was thankful that Cal had willingly passed the reins to Em. My sister always meant well but her pushy tendencies also applied to my birthday planning - I rang in 23 years in a club surrounded by strangers with bottle service and house music blasting all night. The festivities ended in the parking lot as a vodka-induced screaming match ensued, culminating in agreement that her services would no longer be needed.

The day had been a good one and I felt hesitantly hopeful that 24 would be a good year. It had been full of swimming in my mom's pool, and tanning, and eating, and thrifting, and napping, and music, and my favorite people.

I knew I had no right to feel any disappointment, but the only thing missing had been a call from the one person I shouldn't have wanted a call from. I'd woken up to my alarm and a text that had come in at exactly midnight, wishing me the most special day. I knew that alone was more than I should have expected, hating that any part of me had the audacity to think otherwise.

"Did you have a nice day?"

Em's quiet question in my ear only confirmed how much of a brat I was being to think anything could have possibly made the day any better. I gave her a genuine smile, nodding to further my point.

"It was great, thank you," I hummed, eyeing the waiters filtering around skeptically. "No singing, right? Promise me no singing?"

She laughed as Bryce poked his head around her, overhearing the conversation. "She gave strict orders that absolutely no singing was to happen in public. Trust me, I tried. When I snuck in first to talk to the hostess, she almost tackled me."

"Crisis averted," Em nodded proudly, hugging me from the side. I sipped my margarita as she gave an extra tight squeeze. "Happy Birthday, Rory."

After dinner, we slowly made our way back to the apartment for gifts, cake, no singing and more libations. Em and Bryce got me a new record player, Cal got me a new vibrator (and gave me no warning, to the dismay of the room), Marnie got me flowers and a card, and my other friends got me an assortment of gift cards and random things.

I felt beyond spoiled and was heading to the liquor cabinet to pass around a bottle of Patron when Em clapped her hands together and awkwardly shuffled me by the shoulders in a different direction.

"Sorry, Rory. Party is over at 9," she gave a sheepish smile. "Remember, I have to be up super early for work tomorrow."

I wracked my brain for any memory of the conversation, coming up empty. I was going to promise to keep the noise at a reasonable level and let Em and Bryce excuse themselves, but was confused to see that even Cal and Marnie were going to grab their purses.

"Oh boo," I muttered, eyeing everyone getting their stuff. "It's only 9. Cal, why are you leaving?"

She gave me a tight-lipped smile, shrugging her shoulders. "I went a little too hard last night so going to crash early. We can have a wine night later this week?"

"Sure."

I wasn't upset and didn't ever crave a party but I was a little bewildered at the mass exodus. I said my goodbyes and gave out hugs, shutting the front door and walking into the kitchen. Bryce was in the bathroom - brushing his teeth, I assumed - but Em was still there, leaning against the counter with crossed arms and a mysterious smile.

"Thank you," I said again, giving her a smile. I poured a glass of water from the tap, taking a quick sip. "Today was really great. Best birthday in a really long time."

My friends forgot 19, I was blacked out drunk for 20, Max broke up with me two days before 21, 22 was so uneventful I couldn't even recall what I did, and 23 was spent in the club fighting with Cal.

24 was my best yet.

I was shocked when she turned around with a knowing smile, retrieving the Patron and two shot glasses. I didn't fight it as she poured them, assuming she sensed my subtle disappointment and this was a happy medium between keeping the party going and going to bed.

"Cheers."

I grinned as the glasses clinked and the familiar burn warmed my throat. Em gagged, shaking her head with a look of complete and utter disgust. I laughed as she stared at me, giving me a once over before stepping forward and running her thumbs under my eyes.

"What are you - ?"

"Your mascara is running," she commented before reaching up and smoothing pieces of my hair. "You look nice, the skirt is really flattering."

I glanced down, wondering why she was complimenting me at the end of the night. I was in a simple white tank top with a long green skirt, little white flowers all over it. I knew my mom would be thrilled, besides the fact I was wearing my old Converse.

"Glad you like it, going to go change out of it now," I teased, though was also serious. My birthday had come to an end and I looked forward to swapping the skirt for sweats and resuming my episode of Twin Peaks. "I'm sorry, I totally blanked on you having to be up early."

She hummed under her breath, wetting a dishrag and wiping down the kitchen counters.

The knock on the front door was unexpected but also not anything out of the ordinary when my sister had been over. Over the years, we'd all grown used to Cal's panicked calls and texts after being somewhere with her - she'd always lose or forget something important, usually her keys.

I laughed to myself as I walked down the hallway, opening the front door.

"What this time?"

I froze, feeling all color drain from my face and any words melt into my tongue. It wasn't Cal.

"Surprise."

Finn's shy smile was enough to revive me as I allowed my own to appear. He was there, in the flesh. He looked handsome, in his usual black skinnies with a white tee and a black button up thrown over the top.

I didn't stop myself as I dove forward, wrapping my arms around his neck. His shoulders eased and any tension seeped out of him as he wrapped his own arms around my back, squeezing me.

"Hello birthday girl," his breath in my ear sent chills down my spine. "Was just in the neighborhood."

I gave him a skeptical look as I pulled back. Even in the dim light of the front porch, I could see the flush of his cheeks. He smiled, picking at his bottom lip. "I had to fly in for a few reasons, other reasons took up my day but I'm your's now."

I looked at him quizzically as he held up his keys, smiling. "We're going for a drive."

"Now?"

"Now."

I rubbed my lips together, nodding as I gave myself a silent pep talk in my head. "Okay. One second, Em - "

"Have fun."

Her voice right behind me startled me as I looked back, seeing the way she looked at Finn. She waved, very clearly not as surprised to see him as I was. Everything pieced together.

"Nice to meet you."

"You as well," he easily said, palms together in gratitude. "I'll have her back by curfew."

I followed Finn to his car - naturally, a sleek white '60s Mercedes that would have any auto connoisseur in tears. He jogged, beating me to the passenger door and opening it. I rolled my eyes and he laughed. As I sat down, I accidentally kicked a tote bag that was on the ground.

I curiously bent over to see what it was as Finn climbed into the car.

"No peeking," he gently scolded as I sat back, looking over at him. Our front porch light was shining behind him, his silhouette dreamlike. I fought the urge to reach over and push his hair back off his forehead.

"Where are you taking me?"

He started the car, unbothered by my question as he pulled out of the driveway. "A secluded forest so I can kill you."

"Shut up."

We drove in a comfortable silence down Sunset Boulevard, billboards and palm trees and neon lights filtering by. I pointed up, getting Finn's attention as we passed a giant White Noise poster plastered on the side of a building. He sheepishly smiled, running his fingers back through his hair.

I was pleased when he rolled down the windows and turned on the radio, the warm air blowing my hair back in the wind. Finn reached forward and turned the volume knob, Carl Carlton's Everlasting Love blasting through the speakers.

"Good song."

"Great song," he corrected, singing along under his breath.

I smirked to myself, listening to him and knowing he wasn't trying to sound as good as he did. I rested my chin on my crossed arms, leaning out the window. Overthinking was my specialty and while I did wonder if he was telling the truth - if he'd actually needed to fly in for other reasons - the thought of him flying in just for me wasn't something I was ready to face. So, I chose to believe him - at least for the night.

As we continued to head west, I started to suspect where he was taking me. I eyed him and he must have felt it, glancing over. He tried not to smile, directing his gaze back to the road ahead.

"You're blushing."

"You're making me nervous," he exhaled, laughing slightly as he picked at his bottom lip. The admission made my own nerves ease, "We're just going to the beach."

My heart swelled, knowing he must have actually been paying attention when I'd told him the beach was my happy place. I'd unfairly assumed when he was texting me, he was always distracted or had better things going on.

Given the time, it didn't take nearly as long as it usually would to reach the coast. We pulled into a tiny secluded parking lot, Finn parking as close to the trashcans as possible. When I gave him a quizzical look, he grinned.

"We're breaking the rules, Rory," he hummed, raising his eyebrows playfully. "Rebels. Not supposed to be here this late."

"If you get me arrested, we're no longer friends," I retorted, popping open my door.

"Good thing we aren't friends," he grinned as I rolled my eyes, climbing out of the car. He rounded the vehicle, noticing how I shivered slightly with the breeze. I was shaking my head in protest but it was too late as he took his button-up off, slipping it over my shoulders, "There. You can't keep this one though, I'm sorry. I like it."

He retrieved the mystery bag before slamming the door and locking up, tossing the tote over his shoulder and leading the way. I followed closely, unable to stop my smile as I took in the scene in front of us - it was dark, but the moon paved the way in the sand, the waves hitting the shore and creating the most calming soundtrack.

We trudged our way through the sand, eventually pausing our walk to slip our shoes off. As we neared the water, Finn mumbled, "here?" which was mostly to himself, as he tossed the bag down. He bent over, pulling out a navy blanket that had been tucked into the bag and laying it out in the sand.

"Ladies first."

I accepted his chivalry, smiling as I sat down. He flopped down shortly after, stretching his legs out and sighing in contentment.

"Can't even see the stars," he commented, head falling back as he stared upwards. "I want my money back."

I laughed, shaking my head as I stared out at the water. I could hear him quietly breathing beside me, the warmth from his close proximity increasing my heart rate.

"I haven't been to the beach at night in a long time," I admitted, drawing patterns in the sand with my pointer finger. "My dad's place is up in Malibu and he lives right on the water. Cal and I used to go skinny dipping every Saturday night when he was out of town."

Finn exhaled a shaky breath, laughing to himself, "Be nice, that visual is dangerous."

I felt my cheeks heat, avoiding his gaze. The blanket shifted slightly under my legs as he leaned forward, grabbing the bag and opening it between his legs. He held the sides up, shooting me a threatening look as I tried to peek over.

"For the record, I'm usually at least marginally better at gift wrapping," he rubbed his neck, giving me a shy smile. "But I didn't have time or much to work with, so. Tote bag. Close your eyes."

I was smiling as I slipped my palms over my eyes, blocking everything from sight. I could hear him shuffling things around before he sighed, "Okay. You may peek."

When I moved my hands and blinked my eyes back open, the warmth in my chest was overwhelming. He held the old vinyl up for me, eyebrows raised curiously. He'd found my favorite Billy Joel album, clearly at a thrift store or specialty record shop as it was covered in dust.

"Finn..."

I gently grabbed it, flipping it over and reading over the track list. He spoke quietly.

"There's a few gems on there. Stiletto is underrated."

"I love that song," I mumbled under my breath, looking at the cover again.

"Me too."

I gave in, looking over at him. His smile was hesitant, though I knew he could tell he did well.

"I... coordinated, this whole thing with your sister. And she spoke with Em and told me she was getting you a new record player. I hope you like it, it felt like fate when I saw it."

"Thank you," I said genuinely, hugging it to my chest. "You really didn't have to, that was so thoughtful."

"I'm also better at gifting, usually," he laughed, shaking his head. "I just wasn't sure if I could make it so this was a bit last minute. Next birthday will be better."

His words hit us both at once as he flushed again - more nerves evident than I'd ever noticed before. I'd wondered what had come over the usually cool, calm and collected Finn I'd been getting to know, enjoying that he was the one squirming for once.

"This is more than enough, thank you."

"Wait..." he reached into the bag, playfully biting his lip with one eye closed as he blindly dug around with this hand. "I got you a postcard in Alabama."

I accepted the slightly bent card and read over the Greetings from Alabama, giggling as I saw the little stick figure with a mop of hair he'd drawn waving in the corner. I flipped it over, reading over the short message.

Happy Birthday to the ultimate cool girl. Love, Fox

Rendered speechless for multiple reasons, I just smiled. I could feel him staring at my profile, knowing I didn't need to say anything. He knew.

"I'll put this on my fridge," I admitted, nodding my head. "I'm not that cool, for the record, but I love hearing it. You can keep saying it."

"You're so cool. The coolest," he humored me, causing us both to laugh. "I'll keep saying it."

I held onto the vinyl and the postcard, clutching them to my chest. His eyes widened as he laughed at himself, shaking his head, "Jesus, I almost forgot."

I couldn't hide how I felt as he retrieved the last thing from the bag - a small box. I watched curiously as he opened the top, revealing a little chocolate cupcake with a single candle.

"I was given strict orders that no singing was to happen and frankly, the thought of singing to you terrifies me," he admitted shamelessly as I laughed. He was a complete oxymoron, the confident rockstar on stage such a distant idea. I watched as he leaned to the side, slipping the lighter out of his back pocket and lighting the candle, "Make a wish."

My strength was crumbling at the sight in front of me. I swallowed the lump in my throat, allowing my mind to drift and land on the one thing I wanted. I made a wish, blowing out the candle. We shared the cupcake in a comfortable silence, but my heart was pounding the entire time, unable to shake the fact that I could be the one to make my wish a reality.

Finn was oblivious as we slowly made our way back to the car, telling me about how the record shop owner was this lady in her 70s that told him he needed a haircut and offered him a joint. He laughed easily and I smiled, hoping he'd assume my mood shifted because I was tired.

He'd unlocked the passenger door, squeezing in front of me to set the bag back on the floor. I could feel my heartbeat across every inch of my skin and on the tip of my tongue, my fingers shaking as I wrapped his button-up further around me, engulfing me in his scent.

When Finn turned around, he finally took note of my change in demeanor. I stopped thinking.

My fingers blindly slipped over his hips, involuntarily squeezing the plushy skin through his shirt. When I pressed my lips against his, I couldn't believe the shock to my system - shaking me to my core, a jolt shooting up my spine. His lips were so soft as he gasped slightly, tensing at the sudden contact. We disconnected for just a second as reality sunk in, Finn pressing his forehead against mine. He must have come to, his hands cupping my cheeks and lips capturing mine again in a slow, languid kiss.

He tasted like nicotine and cherry chapstick and chocolate cupcake and warmth as his thumbs lazily glided back and forth over my skin, lips moving against mine as if we had all night to be there. When the tip of his tongue teased my lips in gentle question, I opened my mouth just enough - feeling it slip against mine. I could feel us passing the point of no return, fire scorching every inch of my body.

Pulling away was the hardest thing to do as I avoided eye contact, looking down and resting my forehead against his chest. His fingers were tangled in my hair, rubbing my scalp as I let myself shut my eyes for a second. My heart hadn't calmed as he pressed his lips to my forehead before rounding the car and kicking my body into gear. I climbed in the passenger seat, suddenly very aware of the silence as we both shut our doors.

I rubbed my swollen lips together, giving in and looking over. He had a dazed look on his face, staring at the steering wheel with both hands on it. He took a deep breath, looking over at me with a smile that could break the strongest of hearts. His fingers danced across my jawline before his pointer lifted my chin, eyes set on mine.

"You have no idea how many times I've thought of that moment," he whispered, gaze landing back on my lips. "And somehow, it was better than I could have imagined."

I didn't fight it, allowing his lips to meet mine once - twice - and a final time, quick pecks in succession. I chewed on my bottom lip, trying to hide my smile as he started the car. As he pulled out of the parking lot to head back, I silently came to the realization that my careless attitude would likely only last me the night. Morning would come and so would the inevitable overthinking.

Knowing it was impossible to avoid the regret on the horizon, I dug my hole deeper.

"When are you leaving?"

Finn was still smiling, staring at the road and blindly rubbing over his lips with his fingertips as he drove. "My flight out is at 6am."

I looked at the clock, eyes widening. It was nearly midnight.

As if reading my mind, he shook his head. "Don't worry, I'll nap a bit. I just have to leave by like 4."

I bit the bullet, adding fuel to the fire.

"Why don't you stay over?"

-

AUTHOR'S NOTE

Guys NGL I'm losing my shit. Just checking in here to say hello and to thank you for reading! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE if you are enjoying the story, vote, comment (I LOVE COMMENTS), follow me here, follow me on Twitter, add it to your reading list, etc etc etc

Dying to hear your thoughts on this one, which is my favorite for obvious reasons

😈

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

339 70 48
It's been the best year of her life so far! Millie has everything she ever wanted! Her fashion career is soaring, she's bagged herself pop-rock heart...
75 0 26
Emma Canterbury is twenty-two and an international rock star. As the front woman of her band, she is recognised for her voice, her beauty and her rel...
446K 17.7K 59
BOOK ONE: COMPLETE ✅ Introverted music student, Abi, only ever wanted to write songs for other people. But, when she's thrust into sexy-but-secretive...
1.3M 30.3K 15
Lucy is a normal girl, living in a small country town, who never figured that the guy she met was famous. Yes, she broke into his room to sit quietly...