The Blind Date Agreement

Από AvaViolet

When 17-year-old Carina agrees to go on blind dates to hide her crush on her best friend's boyfriend, she dis... Περισσότερα

Welcome
One (part 2)

One (part 1)

8.3K 509 280
Από AvaViolet

It's not every day I have to pretend I'm not in love with my best friend's boyfriend, but here I am, trapped in a car with Kalani and Emmett, pretending I don't care they're making kissy faces at each other. It wouldn't have been so bad if I wasn't driving, or if Kalani had ridden shotgun, but no, they're both in the back practically on top of each other, while I drive them around like an underpaid chauffeur instead of their friend.

We could've all fit in one car, but Emi's father just bought her a two-seater Corvette, so she's driving with her girlfriend, Daphne, for the almost hour-long drive to wherever we're going. This leaves me stuck here, following behind Emi, mentally cursing her for coming up with this surprise Friday night plan, and getting a perfect, unobstructed view of Kalani and Emmet's sickening cuteness in my rearview mirror.

Kalani snuggles her face into Emmett's neck as she laughs at something he says, and my teeth grind together. I love Kalani, she's been my best friend for almost ten years—ever since she moved here from Hawaii in the second grade—and it's for that reason I try not to be bitter, try not to imagine my face snuggling into Emmett's neck, my laughter responding to stupid inside jokes.

I must make a face visible in the rearview mirror that says I'm going to puke because Emmett clears his throat and turns his full, magnetic gaze toward me. It burns right through to my soul.

"So, Carina, I saw your latest project in the art room. It's coming along great."

He noticed my work? Don't blush, don't blush. I focus on the trees blurring past us on the open back road.

"You think so? Thanks. Clay isn't really my favorite medium, but that's the project."

"No, it's great! You really captured the emotions on the model's face," he says.

My name wasn't on the project and it was on a counter with everyone else's. That means he must've asked which one was mine. Oh my God.

My crush on Emmett started in the ninth grade when I was carrying a bunch of art supplies to class. I dropped everything and paint splattered all over my shirt. I was petrified and doing a poor job of holding back tears when Emmett showed up, practically surrounded by glowing white lights and a church hymn, as if an angel itself had materialized in front of me. Not only did he help me to my feet, scold the people around us for gawking and laughing, and help me pick up all the materials, but he also gave me his sweater. Like right off his back. That's Emmett for you, he's just so good. I don't think he has a mean bone in his body.

As if that wasn't enough to make me fall in love, I shortly discovered that he was into art, and we became fast friends. I'm still as smitten as I was that first time I met him, and it's been over three years. It doesn't help that he's gorgeous with his curly chestnut hair and eyes so blue I could swim in them. Eyes that are currently trained on me, waiting patiently for me to respond.

I'm spared from having to think up a cohesive response when Kalani shoves her phone screen toward Emmett. "Guys, it's couples' night at Murphey's tomorrow! Free appetizers for couples and trivia night! We have to go— oh." She trails off as she notices me in the driver's seat, practically with a neon sign pointing at me declaring I'm Single!

"Nevermind," she huffs. "Guess we can't bring a single person."

"Don't say that!" Emmett reprimands as I shrink into my seat. "I'm sure they'll make an exception. You can be on our team, Carina."

"No, it's okay, you guys have fun," I tell them, trying not to think about how Saturday night used to be our night. Mine, Emi's, and Kalani's. We also did stuff together all the time during the week, but Saturday night was the dedicated girl's night.

Things mostly stayed the same when Kalani and Emmett started dating at the beginning of this year; we would still hang out just us girls and laugh and gossip and stuff our faces. Emmett tagged along every once in a while, which was super awkward for me due to the whole I'm in love with him thing, but it was easier for me to ignore since it wasn't often and I always had Emi. But ever since Emi and Daphne became official about a month ago, our girls' nights have always included their partners, and now my single status is even more blatantly obvious, something that Kalani just loves pointing out.

"Come on, Carina, we need you!" Emmett says earnestly, and I internally scream at my heart not to get the wrong idea, at my pulse to slow-the-F down, because he doesn't mean it like that.

When Emmett and Kalani started dating nine months ago, it devastated me. I was never discreet about my crush on him around my friends, so when my best friend came over and gushed about how amazing her date with Emmett was—a date she didn't even bother telling me and Emi about—I was stunned. But Kalani's always been the type to go on a few dates with someone and get bored, so I said nothing, figuring she'd tire of him on her own and I wouldn't look like a jealous friend. Clearly, that didn't work, so now I have to wallow in my misery in silence, repeating to my brain that I don't like him, I don't like him, while my heart laughs and says, Yeah, right!

In the beginning, I would compare myself to Kalani all the time. She has long, flowing dark hair, and mine is boring brown with some added lowlights to spruce it up. Her eyes are dark and sultry and bottomless, and mine are plain hazel. She's Samoan, tan, curvy, and gorgeous, and even with my Italian genes I can go a few rounds with a self tanner and still look pasty. I used to wish I looked more like her so Emmett would finally see me the way I wanted him to, but then I realized that made me a terrible person.

I don't want to steal him from Kalani, and I truly wish them the best and hope they're happy, but the sting is still there when I see them together, my breath still quickens and my pulse still races whenever I see him—I can't help it, it's my body's natural response. I try to ignore it; I try not to think about how I wish it was me instead of Kalani; me he stares at when I'm not looking, me he wraps his arm around. But it's not, and I tell myself that's okay, I'm happy for them.

"I don't always have to tag along with the four of you," I say, even though my stomach twists at the thought of them all hanging out while I'm home alone, wondering if they're having fun.

"We can find something else to do tomorrow night," Emmett suggests, sending me an encouraging smile in the rearview mirror while Kalani pouts.

He's always so thoughtful, so considerate about other people's feelings. I shake my head to clear it. I need to stop going off on Emmett tangents!

"Why don't you find someone to bring along, Carina?" Kalani suggests as she places her hand on Emmett's arm. Lovingly. Possessively. "It would be a fun date!"

"I don't think"

"Hey, my friend Wyatt has asked me about you before." Emmett sits up straighter. "I can set you two up."

I have no idea who Wyatt is and have no interest in dating him. No one has ever made me feel the way Emmett does, and I don't think it's fair to someone else to pretend to like them in hopes they do.

"No thanks, Em. I've told you guys before, I'm happy being single." And I am, really. The only guy that would make me happier is Emmett, and obviously he's off-limits, so I'm perfectly content the way I am.

Kalani leans forward. "You know, prom is coming up in just over a month."

"Yes, I'm aware." It's a fact that both scares me and depresses me since we graduate in less than two months, then go our separate ways to college. I'm losing precious time with my best friends, and who knows what will happen once school starts.

She stares at my profile. "You can't come by yourself and awkwardly fifth wheel us and Emi and Daphne."

"What?" Awkwardly fifth wheel them? Is that what I do? Is that what I am?

Whatever they're going to say is cut off as Emi slams on her brakes and I do the same, barely avoiding rear-ending her.

"Sorry," I toss over my shoulder as they get choked by the automatic locking seatbelts.

"I thought Emi knew where she was going," Kalani grumbles, adjusting her seat belt so it fits comfortably again.

Emi turns to her immediate left, not bothering to signal, and starts down a tiny gravel road at a speed I guarantee will leave rock chips in the Corvette's paint. I follow at a more reasonable speed, concerned about preserving the paint on my Mercedes. It's used and not the newest model, but it's still gorgeous and mine. I've been working every summer—and now all year round—since I was thirteen, and since my parents volunteered to pay for half of whatever car I chose, I went big.

The road, if it can even be called that, is barely big enough to fit one car, and tree branches slap at the vehicle as we drive through. Every scrape against my Mercedes makes me wince. As we drive further and further away from the already deserted main road and into what looks like a forest in the middle of nowhere, I seriously question why we let Emi convince us to go along with her surprise plans for the night. If it wasn't so bright outside, this would be the start of a slasher movie where the stupid teens travel to the middle of nowhere and get murdered. Actually, that probably wouldn't stop a murderer. Plus the sunset isn't too far away, maybe an hour or two.

"Mr. Nakayama is going to kill Emi," Kalani smirks as Emi's car fishtails before righting itself and continuing down the twisting path.

"Her dad can't kill her if she does it first!" Emmett exclaims, ignoring Kalani's lack of concern. "Can you call Daphne and tell her to yell at Emi to drive more responsibly?"

Kalani sighs, but before she can unlock her phone, Emi swings into a clearing and parks near some other cars. I pull in beside her and shut off the Mercedes, surveying the ten other cars scattered around the makeshift lot. Considering it's a 'secret spot,' there sure are a lot of other people here.

"How did Emi hear about this place again?" I ask as I step out of the car, my stiletto heel unstable on the muddy forest ground. "And why did she tell me to dress like this?"

In my tight red mini dress and strappy stiletto heels, I'm entirely out of place; it looks like we're about to hike, not attend one of Emi's dad's prestigious parties. We're in the middle of nowhere and I could never outrun a serial killer like this. I eye Kalani's looser purple designer dress and sandals. Yeah, out of the two of us, I'd definitely be the chick that dies first.

Holding onto my open car door for support from the uneven ground, I survey the surrounding area. There's a warm breeze blowing from where we stand surrounded by greenery, making the entire area smell fresh and calming. There's a distinct sound of water rushing somewhere in the distance, though I didn't realize we were near the water. Kalani and Emmett look around from the other side of the car, and Emi and Daphne still haven't emerged from the Corvette.

"Hey, Princess!" calls a deep voice from behind me.

When I turn, my breath hitches as I make eye contact with a boy—no, a man. I don't know, but he looks to be around my age, and Emmett aside, is one of the most gorgeous guys I've ever seen. From the way he's leaning against the side of a gray car, muscled arms crossed against his chest and a smirk on his face, it's clear he knows this too. He's shirtless, allowing his broad shoulders, tall, toned body, and smooth dark skin to be on display—and what a display it is.

"Are you lost?" he continues, his voice laced with amusement rather than concern. He pushes off the car and rakes his eyes down my frame, slowly, leisurely, making me shiver and fold my arms across my chest self consciously.

"I don't know. Maybe. Probably," I confess, glaring at the Corvette where Emi has yet to emerge.

He chuckles, and so do the two other guys standing with him, but the sound seems mocking. The guy's eyebrow raises as his gaze jumps from me to my Mercedes and back to me in my skimpy little outfit. He shakes his head as if he's found me lacking, and my jaw clenches.

"You're clearly in the wrong place, Princess," he states with finality, giving me one last once-over before turning with his friends and heading off through the forest.

I scoff at the dismissal in his tone, watching as they disappear through the foliage, and only then do I realize they're all in swim shorts. His were pink, and he rocked them.

"Yeah, well, you're in the wrong place!" I call after him, groaning at my stupid comeback.

Kalani snorts. "Smooth."

"Whatever," I grumble as Emi finally gets out of her car.

When we met up no one got out of their cars, so this is the first time I'm seeing her, and she and Daphne are dressed nothing like the rest of us. Emi is wearing her leather jacket, like usual, but underneath it is a triangle bikini top and ripped jean shorts. Daphne is in a loose white dress with a pink one piece noticeable underneath.

"What the hell are you guys wearing?" Emi asks us, and we all glare at her.

"You told us to dress like this!" Kalani exclaims. "I asked you if I should wear my purple dress and you said yeah! You should've just told us where we were going instead of keeping it a surprise."

"No," Emi says, "I swear I told you to wear your purple bikini."

The tension in the air thickens like it always does when Kalani and Emi are in the same room together since the beginning of the year. Kalani pulls out her phone. "In the group chat you said, and I quote, 'Daphne's friends invited us to a secret spot, where only the hottest, coolest people go. I'm hijacking our Friday night, but it's a surprise.' And when Carina asked you if she should wear her red dress, you said 'yeah, red looks hot on you. Kalani wear purple.'" Kalani gestures at the two of us. "And here we are."

"Well I must've misread the text," Emi says, her shoulders tensing. "Sorry for wanting to keep it a surprise."

    "You're always so careless," Kalani starts, and I can tell both girls are gearing up for a fight, so I step between them.

    "It's fine. Really." I turn to Emi. "It was an innocent mistake, it's okay. I'm sure we'll still have fun. Right Kalani?"

    She crosses her arms across her chest and glares at a tree behind me.

    "I should've just told you guys what we were doing, but Emi was so excited and wanted it to be a surprise," Daphne says in her soft voice.

Daphne is almost completely opposite from Emi, looks-wise, and even personality-wise. Daphne's super pale and embraces her freckles and red hair, preferring to let it fall to her waist in its natural waves. She's sweet and innocent, whereas Emi rocks the punk, leather jacket, and nose ring vibe. Emi's Japanese, and wears her dark hair shaved close to her head except on the top, where she's left it longer to flip over to the side and dye different colors every couple months. This month's color is purple, and it suits her perfectly.

"It's alright, Daphne," Emmett says, always the calm and collected one. "Why don't we just see what we're doing?"

Grabbing a jacket for when the sun goes down, I close my car door and walk a few steps toward Emi, but my useless stilettos on the forest ground make my legs buckle at each step—I'm like a baby deer trying to take its first steps. Kalani laughs and I don't even bother to shoot her a glare. With a 'hmph', I hastily undo the straps of my shoes, take them off completely, and chuck them into the trunk of my car. Better to walk barefoot than twist my ankle.

Emi slips her arm through mine and starts leading us deeper into the trees, following the same path the snooty guys took. Daphne's on her other side, and Emmett and Kalani follow behind us.

"So that guy was totally eye-fucking you," Emi states, leaning in close conspiratorially.

For a split second I think she's talking about Emmett, and then realize she meant the arrogant hot guy. I shove her, surprised she noticed him at all since she took her sweet time getting out of the car. "Pink swim shorts? He was not."

"He totally was." She waggles her eyebrows. "You should ask him to come to couples night at Murphey's tomorrow. Kalani sent their Instagram Ad in the group chat a few minutes ago."

A shiver runs down my spine as that guy's face pops up in my mind. He was hot, hotter than hot in that bad boy way, but a terrible asshole. I don't even know him, but I know from that very brief interaction that I can't stand him, and asking him on a date is the absolute last thing I want to do.

"That guy was a jerk," I say. "And the way he called me 'Princess' all condescendingly? Rude."

Emi laughs. "Don't be so dramatic, that's my thing."

"I'm not being dramatic! He obviously didn't want us here."

"You know what your problem is, Carina?" Kalani says from behind us. "You never put yourself out there; you're too shy. I say give the guy a chance. We're gonna see him again in like two minutes or whenever this trail ends, anyway. From the way he was looking at you it's clear he totally liked what he saw. He was undressing you with his eyes. Right, Em?"

Emmett nods along encouragingly, which only makes me more defensive.

"You guys are delusional. He was looking at me with hate, not lust or interest or whatever you guys think it was. Plus, why are we talking about it like it's a thing? If we see him again I'm ignoring him." Even if he is annoyingly handsome and tall and has abs. That's beside the point.

"There's a fine line between hate and love," Emi sing-songs, pushing a tree branch out of Daphne's way, and the view makes me forget to reply. Because we're standing on a cliff.

Συνέχεια Ανάγνωσης

Θα σας αρέσει επίσης

514K 15.8K 49
"Kara, you're my best friend right?" "Umm yeah?" "You'd do anything for me, right?" "As long as it doesn't involve 10 years in prison, yeah." "Be my...
Like Seeing Stars Από Laura Medina

Εφηβική Φαντασία

13.9K 24 7
After a recurrence of childhood cancer leads to a life altering surgery, Jesse finds solace in his best friends as they guide him on the path to reco...
The Jealousy Game Από Madison Belle Rae

Εφηβική Φαντασία

630K 10.7K 28
What happens when a good girl becomes determined to make her brothers best friend fall in love with her? Drama, sexual tension and jealousy of course...
Summer Milestone Από SJ Salazar

Εφηβική Φαντασία

4.4K 364 33
[boyxboy] Eighteen-year-old Josh Crimson has been best friends with Zack Clifton ever since childhood but when Zack is forced to move away the summer...