We Are The Weavers

By E1iza365

" Once the world was full of wonders, but it belongs to humans now. We creatures have all but disappeared. Da... More

~ what really is the shadow that follows us ~
Chapter 2
Chapter 3

Chapter 1

290 5 0
By E1iza365

2018, Oxford England.

It was surprisingly sunny today in England as I walked across the grounds of Oxford, my heels clicking on the pavements as I travelled towards the aging architecture. I closed my eyes and breathed in deeply as I felt the soft breeze whip around me and the feeling of warmth travelled through my body making me smirk slightly. Magic.

I glimpsed around my surroundings and caught the sight of a blonde haired women clutching tightly onto a stack of what looked like paper. Raising my eyebrow slightly I looked her up and down. Not bad. Cute, angelic even in the structure of her face. But before I could watch her any more closely she whipped her head back and forwards as if panicked before rushing forwards towards the student building.

I won't lie and say I'm not intrigued, so let's see what the girl is up to.

I started towards the direction that she was headed and as I continued on I could hear what was supposedly an introduction of some sort. I walked forwards and peeked my head around the corner and looked into the classroom that seemed full of teachers, and there she was. Stood with a small but relieved smile on her face.

My smirk grew and I decided why not listen in for a while, it won't hurt, so I entered the room and situated myself in the far right corner listening in as an older women began speaking.

"Please join me in welcoming back to Oxford, this year's visiting research fellow. As many of you know, she took her DPhil in the history of science her. And after publishing two prize-winning books, she was awarded tenure at Yale. One of the youngest ever to have been awarded that distinction. We are delighted to have her back amongst us, Dr Diana Bishop," she finished just as everyone began to applaud.

"Thank you. Thank you so much," the blonde who I now knew as a Miss Diana Bishop replied as the applause settled.

"Alchemy. In the 17th century, alchemy was at the very heart of the study of nature, and a precursor to modern chemistry...

All parts of the natural world, be they animals or inanimate, were believed to experience these stages...

Although these images were often interpreted as allegory, they actually represent the chemical processes...

With access to the Bodleian Library's collection of unique manuscripts, owned by Elias Ashmole, the 17th century antiquarian astrologer and alchemist, I will continue to explore the role that alchemy had in the 17th century thought, and how it influenced great scientists, such as Isaac Newton and Robert Boyle. Thank you," Diana finished.

I must say now I'm interested. I clapped as did the rest of the room as Miss Bishop finished her lecture. I watched as she talked excitedly with the older woman who seemed to have given the blonde good news indeed. Soon I was leaning on the wall near the doorway watching as she interacted with an awkward ginger haired women, embracing her as they smiled together.

Ah! I know that short head of hair, Gillian Chamberlain resident witch.

Well, well it would seem that the little burst of magic I sensed earlier could be from little miss Diana Bishop. Now this is just fabulous.

****

I have all but now explored all that is the Oxford campus but the library.

Oh books, what a wonderful enjoyment one that should be indulged. They tell us the past the ways of the modern ear as well as the predictions of the future, however uncertain they may be. I myself feel one with them. Some ancient texts that hold unimaginable power, held within them the knowledge that could one day help someone in unfathomable ways.

I walked casually towards the building that I assumed housed the library, straightening my tie as I continued forwards until I felt it. I breathed in deeply smiling slightly to myself, there she is I can feel her magic just pulsing through the air. I looked around before I finally spotted the girl in the blue coat heading towards an aging building which I can only assume was also my desired destination.

I slowly entered the building and to my utter delight, the entire span of the room is covered from head to toe in books. Row upon row of manuscripts, stories and ancient relics just waiting to be studied. I could feel the faint buzz of magic under my feet no doubt belonging to the poor books mistaken for ordinary pages full of knowledge but are really grimoires belonging to us witches.

I looked over the desks of people sitting quietly as they read and worked vigorously, and there was Miss Bishop. Situated at a desk in the middle of the room, accompanied with four books and Miss Chamberlain. A minute or two later Miss Chamberlain retreated and Miss Bishop decided to start some reading. But the first book was no ordinary book.

As she opened the book I felt it. I stumbled back slightly as the sudden onslaught of magic crashed into me. I could feel the vibrations of the magic surrounding the book and the indistinct whispers that left the page made me lean against the wall to balance myself. It feels although powerful, in some way familiar as if I have felt it before.

I looked up to see Miss Bishop quickly whip her head around to probably find out if other felt as she does as she opened the book lucky enough for myself however I was safely hidden behind a book case.

I steadied myself before standing straight once more and looked again towards Miss Bishop who continues to turn a page of the book and soon nearly every light has extinguished as I felt another wave of the books presence.

I started forwards, towards where Miss Bishop continued to eagerly examine the book, however I calmly stayed out of her eyeline picking up a book by the name of The Divine Comedy, a Dante novel I would assume, so as to remain unnoticeable.

I looked over watching as the words on the page began to move and change positions across the page, seemingly drawn towards the blonde girl. The waves of power could probably be felt by any creature within a 5 mile radius and soon I witnessed as Miss Bishop could do nothing other than panic and she slammed her hands onto the book. However it wasn't long until she rapidly pushed herself away from it as if she had burnt her hand on the very pages as she clutched her hand in pain.

I took a deep breath before gently placing my book onto the table located next to me before straightening my jacket and slowly walking towards the exit of the library with the sound of the blondes quiet apologies and the sudden reigniting of the lights and the weight of the once tremendous power now subsiding.

Soon I was outside and waiting.

Soon Miss Bishop can rushing out of the library, in a panicked state out of breath muttering to herself before her attention was once again grabbed by her ginger haired friend Miss Chamberlain.

But my attention was no longer focused on Miss Bishop however as I felt a slight tug on my magic. I closed my eyes before breathing in slowly. Ah, yes. I know that presence. Vampire and an old one at that. I smiled before opening my eyes once again but focused on the dark figure around the corner wating Miss Bishop.

If it isn't Matthew Clairmont. I pray tell what has caught his attention? One can only guess one thing he felt it. The rush of power the book immitted, now it must have been powerful if it attracted the attention of Mr Clairmont.

I pulled my attention from the vampire as Miss Bishop quickly retreated passing him by and walking quickly away.

My, my what a surprising new turn to a relatively mediocre day.

Oh I do enjoy a plot twist. I smirked slightly before turning away towards the street, walking casually 'home'.

****

It's a new day and once again a sunny one at that. I was walking down the street, my heels clicking as I strolled down the cobblestones of Oxford glancing through shop windows, observing the people as they interacted with one another. Before I was stopped short. In the pub to my right through the window there he was Mr Clairmont accompanied by who can only be his 'son' Marcus and lab partner Miriam.

Well, well what an interesting sight hunched over, heads together clutching onto small glasses of what looks to be a sort of red wine. As I stood their I couldn't resist but listen. I glanced around making sure that I wasn't being watched before I raised my hands and closed my eyes and my hands were suddenly consumed by the threads to weave my desired spell.

Soon I concealed myself with a glamour before I enhanced my hearing and listened to the hushed voices of Mr Clairmont and his companions.

"...the reason I didn't tell you was because we were in the dark. We know there's a problem. We don't know the cause. And that's the reason we need the book."

Miriam continued," Matthew thinks that Ashmole 782 covers early creature history. It could help us understand our evolution, our origins."

"The witches cannot be allowed to have that information. Some would want to use that knowledge to destroy us," Matthew said to Marcus.

"So what do we do?" Marcus questioned worried.

"I...talk to Dr Bishop. And if need be...we'll take the book for ourselves," Matthew finished.

I raised my eyebrows as I deactivate my spells and backed away from the building. I shook my head slightly in thought. Well, it seems that Mr Clairmont has a plan for dear Miss Bishop and that fancy book that apparently everyone is after.

I turned casually and started slowly towards the direction I had ventured from thinking deeply.

So the vampires want to discover their origin, their evolution? But to what means? If they are so afraid of what the witches will do to the vampires with such information, why go after one that by the feel of the power radiating off her would crush him to tiny pieces?

I shook my head is amusement. God this week has been an experience, I wonder how dear old Mr Clairmont will feel after he finds out that by the looks of it the information he's looking for won't be easily retrieved.

Soon enough it's the next morning and I'm sitting in the back of a café watching amused as Miss Bishop becomes exceedingly more frustrated at the prospect of being unable to find anything on dear old Mr Clairmont.

Not long passes before the old vampire graces the young girl with his presence and to my immense amusement does so with an flare of dramatics which makes me smirk slightly over the rim of my cup half empty of the coffee I order around 20 minutes ago.

I could faintly hear their conversation as Miss Bishop looked at Clairmont in not only suspicion but defence.

"I checked in with the staff at the Bod. You're in and out of there five minutes max. You were looking for me. Not because you enjoyed my thesis on Robert Boyle. What do you want, Professor Clairmont?" Miss Bishop bluntly asked clearly frustrated with the man standing in front of her.

"That's a fair question," Mr Clairmont replied before he stood up straight and pulled out the chair from next to the blonde girl and sat down leaning forwards slightly.

"You called up an Ashmole manuscript earlier this week and something happened. Something that disturbed you. Is it Ashmole 782?

I'm assuming you used magic to retrieve it."

Suddenly Miss Bishop continued," Why do you care? Alchemy is not your area."

"This is about a great deal more than just alchemy. Where's the manuscript now?"

"Where is always is. You can't take books out of the Bodleian," she stated clearly fed up of Mr Clairmont's interrogation, "excuse me."

"Dr Bishop, please hear me out.

No-one has seen that book for a very long time. And it's not just me that wants it. Word is spreading. It might be safer for you if the creatures of Oxford knew that it was no longer in your position."

"Is that a threat?"

"No. It's a warning. You need to be careful," Mr Clairmont stated softly.

"I will be. Goodbye, Professor Clairmont," Miss Bishop said before collecting her coat off of her chair and leaving the café and Mr Clairmont behind.

I smirked slightly in amusement as the door shut behind her. Now that women has no time for any crap, I like it, at least she has soon confidence to back the radiating power she demonstrates.

****

So Mr Clairmont has decided to stalk the poor girl.

Tut tut, doesn't he know that is awfully rude. Especially going as far as searching the woman's room. Well one should always respect the privacy of others however Mr Clairmont seems to be unable to grasp such a concept.

So that is why I am standing across the river as the light sky's turn dark and the stars are revealed watching as Miss Bishop carries her boat back to storage. I can sense that Mr Clairmont isn't far behind either.

I close my eyes and take a deep breath before I once again carefully and instinctively move my hands, tying knot after knot until I am unnoticeable by the two across the river and able to listen as they talk.

Soon I could hear Mr Clairmont's smooth voice fill my ears as he addresses Miss Bishop.

"Do you actually think it's safe down here in the dark, Dr Bishop?"

"Are you stalling me?"

"I'm merely pointing out that rowing on your own is a risk. So, the book of life. What did you do with it?"

"I don't know what that is."

"A witch of your power, how could you not know?"

"Just because you saw me in the library, that was unusual for me. I don't use magic."

"Don't lie to me Diana. I can feel your power."

"If you want the book, why don't you go get it? I told you I gave it back."

"I don't believe you."

"Okay. Let's say I'm lying. What are you gonna do? Rip my head off to get the truth out of me?" she asked walking slowly towards Clairmont.

"I could. But it's not how I operate," Mr Clairmont stated softly as he stared at Miss Bishop.

"I'm gonna say this to you one more time. I don't have your book," she stated before starting towards the exit passed Mr Clairmont.

She continued to stalk forwards as Clairmont continued to talk.

"Ashmole 782 has been missing for centuries, and yet you were able to call it up. Aren't you curious why? That book has never appeared to me or anyone else, no matter what we've done. Only to you. It could be the key to our survival. So isn't it strange that the only creature who can summon it is a witch who can't control her magic?" He stated before walking away slowly.

He slows until he reaches the place in which Miss Bishop has dropped her jacket, before gently grabbing it and picking it up and turning to face her as she walks out to meet him outside face to face once again.

Suddenly Mr Clairmont lifts the jacket up to his face before sniffing it.

I walked slowly forwards closer to the edge of the path as Clairmont stiffens and his shoulders tense before he asks her to "walk past me, slowly."

"No sudden movements.

Go.

But don't run."

Miss Bishop follows his advice and walks slowly passed the tense vampire and soon she stops and slowly and cautiously turns to see that the suddenly blood starved vampire to no longer be were he once stood.

I then stopped my enchantments and sighed heavily and hung my head rubbing my forehead as I try and relax my shoulders.

Well it seems that not only has Miss Bishop got half of Oxfords creature population after her and the book she doesn't posses or know anything about but an on edge vampire who if my suspicions are correct will cause her a lot of trouble and possibly heartache.

Vote and Comment!

Ellie xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

417K 25K 84
Y/N L/N is an enigma. Winner of the Ascension Project, a secret project designed by the JFU to forge the best forwards in the world. Someone who is...
214K 7.5K 98
Ahsoka Velaryon. Unlike her brothers Jacaerys, Lucaerys, and Joffery. Ahsoka was born with stark white hair that was incredibly thick and coarse, eye...
1.1M 30.1K 37
After the passing of Abigail Bentley's mother, she is now the only one responsible for her family's well-being. Her father, often too drunk to stand...
156K 17.2K 23
"𝙏𝙤𝙪𝙘𝙝 𝙮𝙤𝙪𝙧𝙨𝙚𝙡𝙛, 𝙜𝙞𝙧𝙡. 𝙄 𝙬𝙖𝙣𝙣𝙖 𝙨𝙚𝙚 𝙞𝙩" Mr Jeon's word lingered on my skin and ignited me. The feeling that comes when yo...