ELUSIVE (Book 2)

By hidden_1nk

Sawyer & Opal, how it starts. More

CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 29
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 51
CHAPTER: 52
CHAPTER 53
CHAPTER 54
CHAPTER 55
CHAPTER 56
CHAPTER 57
CHAPTER 58
CHAPTER 59
CHAPTER 60
CHAPTER 61
CHAPTER 62
CHAPTER 63
CHAPTER 64
CHAPTER 65
CHAPTER 66
CHAPTER 67
CHAPTER 68
CHAPTER 69
CHAPTER 70
CHAPTER 71
CHAPTER 72
CHAPTER 73
CHAPTER 74
CHAPTER 75
CHAPTER 76
CHAPTER 77
CHAPTER 78
CHAPTER 79
CHAPTER 80
CHAPTER 81
CHAPTER 83
CHAPTER 84
CHAPTER 85
CHAPTER 86
CHAPTER 87
CHAPTER 88
CHAPTER 89
CHAPTER 90
CHAPTER 91
CHAPTER 92
CHAPTER 93
CHAPTER 94
CHAPTER 95

CHAPTER 82

68 6 27
By hidden_1nk

"Excuse me what? Out there? Like a bunch of raccoons in the wild?" Avery shouts and I close my bedroom door behind me.

It's been several days since Sawyer told me he loved me.

"Shhh." I scold her and she quickly shuts her mouth.

"In the open?" She whispers.

"No one was there." I shrug.

"A hunter had quite the show if he were hiding in the woods." She says and she takes a handful of popcorn out of the movie bowl.

"This is why I didn't want to tell you." I cross my arms.

"Well, you suck at hiding things. You were all smiley and glowy and you were humming. You were humming the piano tunes he plays." She points a finger. "And I knew it." She wiggles her eyebrows.

"Yeah, we'll shut up about it." I'm unable to defend myself. It's true, it feels like I'm floating on a cloud.

I sit beside her on my bed and pause the intro to the Disney movie we are about to watch.

"What? Did something else happen? Did he hurt you, Opal?" She interrogates.

"No. But I think I hurt him." I tell her and she bursts out laughing.

"Like you hurt his, ding dong?" She asks kinda disgusted, yet concerned.

"No. No." I quickly shake my head. I know I wanted Sawyer and me to be secret for a while but I need someone to talk to.

"It's not anything gross, right?" She asks.

"No." I shake my head again. "He told me he loved me."

Avery chokes on her popcorn, her eyes widen and she drinks water form her water bottle.

"But how? When? You guys hate each other." She says and I shrug. "Everything has been in secret?" She says more to herself.

"You can't tell anyone." I point at her and she seals her lips.

"Okay, what's the problem? Sawyers in love with you." She wiggles her eyebrows.

"I didn't say it back."

"What!" She screams and sits up, dropping the popcorn all over my bed. "That's not how this fairy tale is supposed to go." She says.

"It's not a fairy tale." I glare.

She sighs out and finally gets serious, "Why didn't you say it back?" She asks.

"I was going to. I wanted to so bad. I just froze." I groan into the pillow.

"It isn't that hard to say. It's just three tiny words, with lots of meaning. I love you, see easy." She shrugs.

"Easy? Say them to Evan." I tell her and she laughs.

"I do, all the time." She counters and I shake my head.

"No, not the simple I love yous, but the I'm in love with you." I tell her.

She slowly stops chewing her popcorn.

"Opal, you've been in your own little world. We both have said those words." She rolls her eyes and I frown. I guess I'm just chicken?

"Oh." I say. "I'm going to get water."

"Hurry, because it's almost two in the morning and I'm about to fall asleep. I want to finish princess diaries." She yells as I race downstairs.

I run into the kitchen and open the fridge, quickly grabbing a water bottle.

I hear someone clear their throat and I turn. It's Sawyer in only sweat pants. I can't help but admire is toned body and tattoos that look like shadows in the dimly lit kitchen.

"You scared me." I tell him after I let out a small scream. "I didn't see you." I breathe out.

"Can't sleep?" He asks, as he leans against the counter, he sips a cup of something.

"No, movie night with Avery."

He nods, "Ah, what movie?" He asks and I can feel my cheeks burning up.

"Princess Diaries." I sheepishly say and he seems confused. "It's a Disney movie. You wouldn't know about it." I wave my hand at him.

He stalks over to me, we're stomach to stomach and he looks down at. He moves the flying hairs from my face in one swift move,

"When are we having a movie night?" He asks and I can't help but laugh.

He raises a serious eyebrow and I stop laughing.

"Oh, you're serious."

"Mhm." He crosses his arms over his chest and I just look at him. What movies does Sawyer even like? I can't picture him sitting through a whole movie.

"I should get back." I tell him after a few awkward seconds. I walk away when all he does is just silently stare but as soon as I take a step he pulls me back and devours my lips.

I realize he wasn't really listening to a word I was saying, all he wanted to do was kiss me.

The kiss begins to get more heated as he grabs my waist and pulls me in close. My hands wander his back as he grasps me. He slides his hands down my arms and pushes me up against the fridge. He holds my hands before pinning them up against my head.

I can't help but giggle into his mouth and he lets out a few chuckles. But as I laugh, Sawyer takes the opportunity to slip his tongue in. I'm surprised at first but I just go along with it. We stay like this for a while until Sawyer decides to pull away. We're both red and breathing heavily.

We hear foot steps and the kitchen door swings open and in comes Evan, yawning. Sawyer is immediately across the room and I quickly just strut out of there.

I zoom pass Evan who doesn't get a chance to say anything, "your brother is an asshole." I tell him, faking anger and run back up stairs.

"What took you so long?" Avery says and she has already started the movie without me.

"There wasn't any cold water." I shrug and she looks at me.

"You were with him." She deadpans and I turn to her.

"What? No." I quickly deny and she starts laughing.

"You smell like Sawyer." She says. "Jesus you guys are sneaky. I would have never known, if you didn't tell me." She says and I lie down getting comfy.

"He wants a movie night. But I can't picture him watching any movies." I tell her and she bursts out laughing.

"Movie night is code word for sex." She palms her forehead in disappointment and I frown.

"Oh. I was coming up with a list of movies and snacks he could try." I tell her.

"For someone who is pregnant and is in your position, you sure are stupidly naive." She rolls her eyes.

"I forget that sex is on every guys mind. I want to think it's not." I shrug.

"You're living in fantasy land." She bitterly says and I sigh out. Of course I am.

The movie plays on repeat until morning and I wake up to Avery snoring and my bladder full.

I stay in the room most of the morning, throwing up the popcorn from the night before. When I'm done showering and brushing my teeth a thousand times, Avery has made my bed and cleaned any mess she left behind.

I plop onto my bed with only a towel. I hear the door bell ring a few times but I'm sure it's because of Avery's online shopping addiction.

I quickly get dressed and head downstairs. There's people I've never met standing randomly everywhere. Some in small groups talking, socializing. I check the time, it's almost three.

I smile at everyone I pass and see there are more people outside. I walk outside confused as to why there are people here. I feel someone's eyes on me and turn to see Sawyers head snap over in my direction. He's in a fancy suit and talking to a group of older men.

I look at everyone around me. There are waiters serving cocktails and appetizers. I'm underdressed and run over to Avery, who seems a little annoyed.

"What's going on?" I whisper to her.

"I'm not sure, but I just found out right now from Evan. It's a work thing for him. Do I look okay?" She asks and I nod.

"Why weren't we warned?" I ask and she shrugs.

"They probably forgot." She whispers and she spots someone she recognizes and she excuses herself.

I stand there a little awakened, debating to go change or stay in what I'm in. At least I'm wearing a black skirt but the rock band t-shirt doesn't seem appropriate and definitely not with converse.

I see Sawyer walking over to me, "hi." I whisper and he leans in to kiss me but I pull away and look around to see if anyone just caught what he did.

"Nice outfit." He smiles and I start to fidget my fingers. He grabs a hold of my hands and I pull away. He's being touchy in front of people.

"No one told me about all of this." I tell him and he chuckles. "Can we go somewhere to talk, not here and alone?" I ask and he creases his eyebrows before looking around and grabbing my elbow to lead me somewhere private.

"Sawyer!" We hear someone call and we both turn. Thomas is heading over to us and he pats Sawyer on the back.

"Thomas." Sawyer evenly says, annoyed that we're being interrupted.

"Opal." Thomas goes in for a hug but is pulled back by Sawyer as soon as he embraces me for a second too long.

"I just heard good news from your brother." Thomas smiles at Sawyer.

"Good news?" I ask and Sawyer snaps his head to me.

"Thomas." Sawyer warns, but Thomas doesn't get the hint.

"Sawyer gets to work do research for the government. They might station him in America or somewhere in Asia." Thomas blurts out and Sawyer tries stopping Thomas by covering his mouth but he's too late.

Sawyer is leaving again, he's leaving me again. Sawyer nervously laughs,

"That's a huge accomplishment, not to mention you'd be payed millions." Thomas smiles at the both of us and smacks Sawyers back proudly.

When Thomas excuses himself, Sawyer looks down at me, "Nothing is set and stone." Sawyer reassures me.

I stand there unable to hear what he's saying and I turn away from him and start heading back inside.

"Opal." I hear him call after me. "Opal, stop. You were the first person I was going to tell if I decided." He says and I turn to him, my arms crossed over my chest. "I swear." He tries to convince.

"When? Because I don't think you were ever going to tell me. How did Evan and Thomas know before me?

"Opal." Sawyer says and I can tell he's getting frustrated. "It's not like you were going to tell me that you and Drew were saving up to buy a house and move out." He counters and I scowl,

"Who said anything about a house?" I drop my arms.

"Drew. He said he was looking for a job to support you and maybe move out." He sounds almost like he's in trouble for knowing that information.

"I'm going to kill Drew."

"You don't need a job." Sawyer says.

"Just stop. I'm the only one who knows what I need." I tell him.

"You would come with me." He interrupts and I think about the baby.

"I don't think you would want that." I immediately shake my head no. In a couple of months he won't want me, he would be trapped with me and the baby.

"Yes, us living together. Everyone moving with us." He says.

"I can't keep moving." I tell him. "I knew you'd leave eventually. You can't stay still for one moment. I can't have everyone bail on me all the time."

"Is that why you won't say you love me?" He says out of the blue. "Because everyone keeps leaving." He continues, with a hint of sarcasm but I know he's hurt.

"There's lots of reasons." I shrug. "I mean there's the obvious heartbreak, there's also the fact that I don't want to depend on anyone, because the only person you can really rely on is yourself."

"That still doesn't explain it." Sawyer sighs out.

"Well, it's like you said. Maybe I can't say it because whenever I do, you leave." I tell him and he looks down, guilty.

He stares at me, hurt by my words.

"Okay." He mutters and brushes past me.

"I knew this was going to happen. Every time I start to care, and get close to someone, they leave. Just like you're doing now, and just like you're about to do when you take that job." I start crying.

Sawyer turns around, a solemn look on his face. "Opal." He whispers as he walks back to me but I step back. Hurt that he isn't understanding my point of view.

"No." I tell him, tears running down my face, stepping away from him like he's on fire.

"You're going to run away from all your fucking problems like you always do?" He spits.

"Whatever fantasy world we are living in its over." I croak out, trying to hurt him, but he quickly composes himself, all emotion gone from his face as he breathes out. He doesn't get a chance to say anything when I turn away from him and walk back inside.

———————————————————————

Hey!

Sorry, Opal has too many hormonal emotions 😅

Hope you enjoy! 💗

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

533 118 14
"How could something this innocent, become this dark... "
320K 13.5K 38
[ongoing revisions] Twisted Wonderland x male reader โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ”โ” "๐๐ž๐ข๐ง๐  ๐ฆ๐š๐ ๐ข๐œ๐ฅ๐ž๐ฌ๐ฌ ๐๐จ๐ž๐ฌ๐ง'๐ญ ๐ฆ๐ž๐š๐ง ๐ญ๐ก๐š๐ญ ๐ˆ ๐œ๐š๐ง'๐ญ ๐ฌ๐ง๐š๐ฉ...
889K 5.6K 102
This book contains my favorite collection of novels.
Remember By Alexis

Mystery / Thriller

107K 13.5K 101
Imagine being stranded in the middle of nowhere with no memory of who you are. You randomly walk into a coffee shop, clueless. You start questioning...