The Haunted Way (Champions of...

By AnnaIdanBerg

Sabrina Devon has settled back into life on Praxatillus, with her brother Scotty recovered, her cousins embra... More

Chapter 1: Beginnings
Chapter 1.1
Chapter 1.2
Chapter 1.3
Chapter 2: Strange Journey
Chapter 2.1
Chapter 2.2
Chapter 3: The Chase
Chapter 3.1
Chapter 3.2
Chapter 3.3
Chapter 3.4
Chapter 4: Ghosts
Chapter 4.1
Chapter 4.2
Chapter 4.3
Chapter 4.4
Chapter 5: Recovery
Chapter 5.1
Chapter 5.2
Chapter 5.3
Chapter 5.4
Chapter 5.5
Chapter 6: Discovery
Chapter 6.1
Chapter 6.2
Chapter 7: Fatal Alliance
Chapter 7.1
Chapter 7.2
Chapter 7.3
Chapter 7.4
Chapter 7.5
Chapter 7.6
Chapter 8: Collision Course
Chapter 8.1
Chapter 8.2
Chapter 8.3
Chapter 8.4
Chapter 8.5
Chapter 9: Chain Reaction
Chapter 9.1
Chapter 9.2
Chapter 9.3
Chapter 9.4
Chapter 9.5
Chapter 10: Backlash
Chapter 10.1
Chapter 10.2
Chapter 10.3
Chapter 11: Departures
Chapter 11.1
Chapter 11.2
Chapter 12: Epilogue

Chapter 10.4

23 4 3
By AnnaIdanBerg

After Mara and Scotty's departure, Dansestari seemed much quieter to Cynthia. She gradually came to learn the route from Sabrina's apartment to the infirmary, and Marie even showed her how to reach Sabrina's conservatory, where her Earth roses were grown. It was comforting to see and smell the soil of her home planet, Cynthia found, and she took to spending some time there every day, dozing with her eyes closed and pretending she was in a park in Boston. She rarely saw anyone except Marie and the infirmary staff, although Therenden, the Castellan of Dansestari, had stopped by to introduce himself briefly. Without a calendar or any responsibilities aside from her one comatose patient, the days blended together, and her former life began to seem like a distant memory.

The day that Sabrina opened her eyes and said, "Mara?" stood out from the rest, but it was only the first in a series of small steps to recovery. Sabrina was rarely conscious for more than a minute at a time, and her memory seemed confused.

The Chief Physician, an elderly woman named Maessa, made a point of looking in on Sabrina daily. "She simply needs to rest," was her diagnosis. As time passed, she remarked, "Perhaps a more relaxing environment would be better."

Cynthia had to admit that the infirmary, like most Earth hospitals, was a terrible place to rest. There was constantly activity of some sort, and the décor was monotonous. "Where could we go?" she asked Maessa.

"Lady Sabrina doubtless has access to many of Her Majesty's homes. I will ask someone to look into it," Maessa replied.

Later that day, an even more elderly woman knocked on the door of the conservatory. Cynthia was startled; no one ever disturbed her here, not even Marie. "Yes?" she said. "Am I needed in the infirmary?"

"No, everything is fine. I was just there, looking for you."

"I'm sorry; I don't believe we've met."

"No. I'm afraid there is a dearth of mutual acquaintances to introduce us," the lady smiled. "My name is Éllina Haaron. I'm an old friend of Sabrina's. I'm very pleased to meet you at last, Dr. Grayson."

"Likewise, Ms. Haaron. What can I do for you?"

"I live at Fibräaé, which Sabrina inherited from her father. It is a lovely house, right on the beach. I would like to offer it for her convalescence."

"From her father?" Cynthia repeated, puzzled.

Éllina smiled. "I see that no one has brought you up to date on our history. The Queen's uncle, Commander Rayland, adopted Sabrina and Scotty when Her Majesty became Queen. I believe it was for political reasons, but they were all very fond of each other in the short time they had together. Rayland left his possessions to Sabrina and Scotty. One of them was this house. Sabrina has never lived there, but she visits often. Rayland is buried there, you see, along with my husband. He and I have leased the house from Sabrina since we returned home from our last diplomatic assignment."

"Ah," Cynthia said.

"I believe it is a very therapeutic environment," Éllina said hopefully. "I would be grateful if you would consider allowing Sabrina to be moved there. Of course you must come with her. It will be good to have company again; my children are long grown and gone their own ways."

Cynthia hesitated, not sure what to make of this offer. "I...I appreciate the offer. It's very kind of you, but I'm not sure I should make this decision without Sabrina's input."

"Of course. If you should want to come and see the house for yourself, you are welcome at any time. I am listed in the public directory. And of course I will be visiting Sabrina from time to time."

"Thank you. I appreciate it."

"It's strange to find oneself on a new planet, without very many acquaintances," Éllina mused. "I remember the feeling well. Please call me if you get lonely and would like to chat, or if you have questions."

"Thank you," Cynthia said again. As Éllina left, Cynthia wondered at the ways this strange planet worked. Had the Chief Physician talked to someone? It was hard to know what to do as a stranger. She decided she had been right: it was really Sabrina's decision.

——————————

Cynthia made sure she got to the infirmary early the next day, knowing that Sabrina's periods of wakefulness were usually longer in the mornings. One of the attendants set a cup of the strong Praxatillian cocoa on the bedside table with a smile. When Cynthia started to object that she didn't care for it, the attendant said, "It's for Lady Sabrina. She asked for it yesterday and then fell asleep. I thought she might want some today."

"Thank you," Cynthia said, trying not to wrinkle her nose at the distinctive smell. Then she noticed that Sabrina's nose seemed to be working too. A few seconds later, her eyes fluttered open.

"Breakfast?" she whispered.

"If you like," Cynthia said. "Hi there. Going to join us today?"

Sabrina gave a faint smile. "Maybe. Can I have some cocoa?"

"Sure. Hang on." Cynthia fiddled with the bed's controls for a moment until she found the one to raise the head a bit. Then she picked up the cup and held it to Sabrina's lips. "Take it easy; you haven't had much practice lately."

Sabrina drew in a sip, then a bigger one. Then she smiled. "Thanks. I was missing that. They say it isn't addictive but it's like coffee to me."

"Not to me. Leave it to you to hijack me to a planet that doesn't have a Starbucks."

"I didn't hijack you anywhere," Sabrina protested, yawning. "I don't even know how you got here."

"Your brother, who has conveniently left the planet to postpone my certain vengeance," Cynthia replied.

Sabrina frowned. "How is Ford? Have you seen him? Nobody will tell me anything."

"I haven't seen him, no. I don't have the magic password to get in. But I'm told he's recovering just fine. He wasn't hurt physically, you know," Cynthia said. "I was there."

"It's not his body I'm worried about," Sabrina said, yawning again. "Please, Cynthia. Go see him. Throw my name around. Tell them I begged."

"Okay, I'll try. But stay awake for a minute. I want to ask you something."

"What?"

"How about we make a break for it? Your friend Éllina's been to see you. She's invited us to her place. She says it's really your house."

"Fibräaé," Sabrina sighed. "Yes. Yes, I would like to see it again. She's so sweet. Don't let her move out of her room for us." She yawned again. "Sorry, Cyn. I just can't keep my eyes open. Are they giving me something?"

"I don't think so. You just had a really hard time. The sleep is good for you."

"Still don't understand it..." Sabrina murmured, and then she was asleep.

"Join the club," Cynthia sighed.

——————————

The next time Sabrina woke, she was in a sunny room with something warm and vibrating on her chest. Opening her eyes, she was delighted to find Tristan snoring gently, and managed to raise one hand to run through his fur. He purred in his sleep, turning slightly so she could reach his tummy. "Hey," she said softly. "I missed you."

She looked around, not recognizing the room. Two walls were floor-to-ceiling windows, some of which were open to admit the fresh sea breeze. She must be at Fibraäé, she realized.

Her guess was confirmed when the door opened quietly and Éllina came in with a tray. She smiled when she saw Sabrina looking at her. "Welcome, Sabrina. I brought you some lunch, if you would care to eat."

"Thank you. And thanks for taking Tristan in as well."

"Princess Marie thought he would help you get better," Éllina said. "She was quite insistent about it. When Dr. Grayson demurred, the princess then informed us that she was going on a field trip to Deltarr and would not be able to feed him, and that the palace staff has flatly refused to be responsible for his care. Since Scotty is also offworld, we were really left with no choice." She chuckled. "But I must say, after he got here, he has been no trouble at all, as long as we don't try to make him leave you!"

"I imagine the trip here wasn't any fun, though," Sabrina said, scratching under Tristan's chin. He blinked at her and gave a drowsy little "rowrl." Then he reached out one large, apricot-colored paw and gently patted her cheek.

Éllina laughed. "No. But that is all right. It was a small price to pay to have you here."

"Thank you so much for having me. This is much more pleasant than the infirmary. But I must be the world's most boring guest."

"Not at all. This is your home, after all." Éllina fussed with the tray a bit. "Dr. Grayson will be sorry to have missed you. She went up to speak with Commander Mukryilla about seeing Prince Niavar. I have to say, I do not think she will have much success."

"We need to talk to someone in the Miahn hierarchy," Sabrina agreed. "Can you help her?"

"I can't think of anyone," Éllina admitted. "I have tried."

"I just want to see him," Sabrina said plaintively. "Or at least see someone who has. Why is that so hard?"

"I don't know," Éllina said. "But we will keep trying, Sabrina."

"Maybe I should call Mara," Sabrina said, yawning.

"Enough talk. Eat, before you fall asleep again," Éllina urged. "I brought some piyeri fruit, and more cocoa."

"Is that a doctor-approved diet?" Sabrina asked, reaching for a piece of fruit.

"Dr. Grayson decided to forego a chemical analysis of our food," Éllina smiled. "She said I should feed you what you like, as much of it as I could get into you. Do you have any requests?"

"No, this is fine. Thanks." The first piece of fruit woke Sabrina's appetite, and she found herself ravenous.

Éllina watched her with approval. "Many people have called to inquire after you," she said. "When you are well enough for visitors, we shall have a great deal of company. I am looking forward to it."

"I just want to see Ford," Sabrina managed to say between bites.

Éllina sighed. "We'll try, Sabrina."

——————————

Cynthia stormed into the elegant sitting room and dropped into the nearest chair, resting her head on the back and closing her eyes.

"I take it that your visit did not go well?" Éllina asked.

Cynthia jumped. "Oh. Sorry. I didn't see you there. No, it wasn't a success. I've never been told to get lost so politely in my life. Commander Mukryilla wanted to help, I think, but she's in the wrong chain of command. Castellan Therenden assured me he will be down to visit in the near future, but he doesn't have any contacts on the Council, which, by the way, I find hard to believe."

Éllina said, "The Miahn command structure is kept separate from the Praxatillian one. The Castellan answers to the Queen, not the Guardian. He is probably telling you the truth."

"Well then I suppose what I need to do first is determine who's in the Miahn chain of command," Cynthia groaned.

"Well," Éllina said, "Lady Imari, the First Chair, is technically Sabrina's aunt. But I don't think they are very close."

"I have to try," Cynthia said.

"You will need an introduction," Éllina said. "If Princess Marie were here, she could introduce you. I think our best course of action is to ask one of the other royal children to intercede on Sabrina's behalf."

"Which one? As far as I can tell, there's a whole horde of them."

"Let me think on that."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

37.6K 1.4K 24
After a spell mishap with Star's wand, Star's cousin is sent back in time to the era of Princess Moon. Now Cosmo pretends to be a loving mother of o...
1.6K 452 115
On medical leave due to the genetic changes begun by an ancient plan embedded in the Great Crystal, Sabrina Devon and her fiancé negotiate not only t...
68 0 9
After the earth became inhabitable for more than two thousand years. Due to overpopulation, pollution, and global warming. No trace of human kind was...
734 129 63
Five years after the Kyan invasion of Praxatillus nearly succeeded, there is an uneasy feeling in the Realm that the worst of the war lies ahead. Wit...