More to You ✔

By Voyageavecmoi

As Maria accepts being a newly single expat teacher in Thailand, she can't forget the passionate kiss she sha... More

Chapter 1 - Catfish Soup (Mitch)
Chapter 2 - Movies (Maria)
Chapter 3 - A Tricky Dessert (Tom)
Chapter 4 Ayutthaya (Maria)
Chapter 5 - Boat Noodle (Maria)
Chapter 6 - Classroom Hacks (Mitch)
Chapter 7 - Penang Curry (Mitch)
Chapter 8 - Bar Brawl (Mitch)
Chapter 9 - Comfort Food (Maria)
Chapter 10 - Impromptu intervention (Tom)
Chapter 11 - Nachos 'n Drama (Maria)
Chapter 12 - Giant Lizards (Maria)
Chapter 13 - December 14th (Mitch)
Chapter 14 - Dancing Shrimp (Maria)
Chapter 15 - Promises (Mitch)
Chapter 16 - Christmas shopping (Maria)
Chapter 17 - Family (Tom)
Chapter 18 - A touch of home (Maria)
Chapter 19 - Red (Mitch)
Chapter 20 - Pain (Maria)
Chapter 21 - Bittersweet (Tom)
Chapter 22 - Gift exchange (Maria)
Chapter 23 - Called out (Mitch)
Chapter 24 - Emily (Mitch)
Chapter 25 - Christmas Skate (Maria)
Chapter 26 - Koh Kret (Maria)
Chapter 27 - Strawberry Fields (Tom)
Chapter 28 Waterfall (Maria)
Chapter 29 - Diving (Mitch)
Chapter 30 - Family Meals (Maria)
Chapter 31 - New Year's Eve Revelations- Pt 1 (Tom)
Chapter 31 - New Year's Revelations Pt 2 (Tom)
Chapter 32 - New Year Reflections (Mitch)
Chapter 33 - Mountain Warmth (Maria)
Chapter 34 - A Mistake? (Mitch)
Chapter 35 - First Date (Tom)
Chapter 36 - Tom Yum Goong (Maria)
Chapter 37 - Party Planning (Mitch)
Chapter 38 - Guilt (Maria)
Chapter 40 - Loss (Maria)
Chapter 41 - Pool Party Part 1 (Mitch)
Chapter 41 - Pool Party Part 2 (Mitch)
Chapter 42 - Pool Party (Maria)
Chapter 43 - Late Night Worries (Tom)
Chapter 44 - Aftermath (Maria)
Chapter 45 French Café (Mitch)
Chapter 46 - Go-karting (Mitch)
Chapter 47 - Decisions Part 1 (Maria)
Chapter 48 Decisions Part 2 (Maria)
Chapter 49 Empty (Tom)
Chapter 50 - Hollow (Mitch)
Chapter 51 - Falling (Maria)
Chapter 52 - Seventh falls (Tom)
Chapter 53 - Fix You (Mitch)
Chapter 54 - Rebound (Tom)
Chapter 55 - Khwae Yai Bridge (Maria)
Chapter 56 - The River Part 1 (Mitch)
Chapter 56 - The River Part 2 (Mitch)
Chapter 56 - The River Part 3 (Mitch)
Chapter 57 - Ocean Eyes (Maria)
Chapter 58 - No Rest (Mitch)
Chapter 59 - Palentines Day (Maria)
Chapter 60 - Picnic (Tom)
Chapter 61 - Keystage Leader (Mitch)
Chapter 62 - La Normandie (Tom)
Chapter 63 - Hold On (Maria)
What to read next

Chapter 39 - Pierogies (Tom)

50 6 11
By Voyageavecmoi

A group of students stood at the front of Tom's class explaining how the ball joints in their structure would absorb a shock during an earthquake with detailed diagrams in their PowerPoint presentation. They'd used the proper terminology well, and Dao demonstrated how the model of their building rocked slightly when she wiggled the base, but it remained intact. Once they'd finished presenting, the class, including Tom, broke into thunderous applause.

"That was an incredibly detailed presentation! You should all be very proud of the work you've done," Tom said. "And I hope it inspired the rest of you to take your projects to the next level like they did."

"Can we test it, Mr. Tom?" Dao asked with sparkling eyes. Tom had promised they'd simulate earthquakes and windstorms to analyze the integrity of the structures, and it had energized the class to finish their projects sooner than he'd anticipated.

"Not today because I have another announcement. We have a visitor next week, a structural engineer who has worked on skyscrapers. After he explains his recent projects, I'd like to keep our structures intact to give you the opportunity to show off your work."

Some students frowned and whispered amongst each other while others had more upbeat tones and smiles. Dao, who really came alive during this science unit, looked over her structure with a grin.

"Thank you, Mr. Tom," she said.

"I extend my thanks to all of you. It's your dedication and scientific inquiry that inspired me to reach out to bring in experts."

"Is the expert from Canada?"

"No, he's Thai and born in Bangkok like many of you." Tom considered a video call with an international engineer to keep the presentation in English, but the benefits of relating to the role model and having him clarify their specific questions in Thai about the Thai engineering field outweighed the school's strong focus on English during his classes.

The students chatted excitedly as the group who'd presented answered questions about their work.

Once class ended and he headed downstairs to the staff room, he ran into Prae, who shared the same prep period.

"How were the presentations?" Prae asked with a grin.

"Very well done. I can't wait to see what the other groups have created. How was your class?"

"Not as exciting. We're learning how to use the present perfect continuous." Her heels clicked on the stairs as they neared the third-floor landing.

It was fortunate Prae was teaching since he hardly knew what that meant. "I imagine you make grammar exciting."

She laughed. "I motivate them by telling them it's their key to international universities and jobs."

"Did you always want to teach grammar?"

"I wanted to teach English, and the grammar is the section I'm assigned to instruct."

Prae looked between them then straight ahead at the younger students lingering to chat in the halls. She called out to them in Thai and they separated and hurried into their classes. Her grip on her basket of supplies tightened.

Tom wanted to say more about the unfair situation, that the administration pigeonholed a woman with an education degree into teaching a particular course because she was Thai, but in the halls where anyone could overhear, he'd only get diplomatic answers from Prae. At least she was attending the potluck party, and perhaps they could talk more there.

"Are you excited about Saturday?"

"It should be fun."

"Any Canadian foods you're dying to try?"

"I'm not sure I know of any."

"Poutine?"

She looked up toward the staircase above them before turning back to Tom. "I'm familiar not with that one."

"It's made of French fries covered in gravy and cheese curds."

She shielded her mouth from him, and her shoulders rocked a little. After dropping her hand, a smile rested on her lips. "Like fast food?"

"Yeah, some fast-food places serve them." That hadn't been a great suggestion. Prae liked home-cooked meals. The air warmed as they reached the first floor, making Tom sweat even more. "Pancakes and maple syrup?"

She smiled as they crossed the foyer where the larger-than-life portrait stared at them from above. "Yes, I've tried those."

He rapped his finger against his basket of teaching supplies. There had to be something different. He reflected on holiday suppers or BBQs. There wasn't an affordable way to share a great Alberta steak or bison meat from Thailand. "Pierogies?"

"What are those?"

"They're similar to dumplings, but filled with potato and cheese, then fried with bacon, onion and butter, at least the way my baba, sorry grandmother, would prepare them." The dish was more eastern European than Canadian, but with so many Ukrainians living in the prairies, it was close to a Canadian staple.

"Are they hard to make?"

"I've never tried, but my grandma said they take a few hours to put together. I'll see if Maria can help."

"Will you have the space to make them? Your apartments have small cooking areas."

"We'll do our best."

"You can both come to use my kitchen. I have counter space, burners, large pots, and rolling pins."

Tom laughed at himself. "Come to think of it, I have very little of the equipment I'd need. Maria might though."

"Maria's kitchen is good for making smaller meals, but her preparation table is cramped for cooking and rolling dough. It is no bother. She uses my kitchen often."

"Three of us working together would be easier. Sorry, that was presumptuous. You don't have to help if you're already giving us your kitchen."

"It's no problem, Tom. I enjoy cooking and learning new recipes."

When they reached the doors to the staff room, Tom held the door open for Prae and they stepped into air-conditioned bliss. "If you want to, I'll welcome the help, but don't feel obligated."

"It'll be fun. Which day is best?"

"I think Maria has to make her cooking channel video tonight, so Friday's better."

"Friday would be perfect."

"Are you sure? I don't want to ruin any plans you might have had."

Her melodious laugh overtook the sound of the air conditioner. "What was it you told me during the holidays: to relax?"

As their gazes met, he smiled. "Easier advice to give than to take."

"Certainly. So I'll see you and Maria tomorrow night?"

"Yes, looking forward to it."

***

As Tom and Maria lay atop her bed, Maria kissed him gently. Her lips still tasted like the spicy Thai curry they'd cooked for her channel. It burned his lips a touch, but the way she pressed her body against him replaced the sensation with a much more appealing one. Without breaking their kiss, she rolled until she was on top of him, sitting up slowly and running her hand up and down his fitted t-shirt. As she repositioned herself on his lap, many thoughts entered his mind, which he fought not to act on. After their conversation about their exes, he needed to let her set the pace, so he didn't hurt her.

"Someone's a little excited today," she teased with a grin.

"Little is an understatement," he whispered in her ear. He couldn't remember the last time he'd felt so close to someone and desired. 

Maria grinded herself against him in an unbelievably attractive way until he moaned her name. Even fully clothed, she was incredible.

"You're right, hugely excited is more fitting."

Did she think he was fishing for compliments about the size of his package? Now she'd assume he was some vain or insecure asshole. "I didn't mean it like that. I meant that..." But the right words wouldn't come to him. Why couldn't he just have agreed?

She giggled, hopped off, and cuddled beside him instead, tracing his freckles with her fingertips like she usually did. "I'm not here to judge."

"I don't want you to think I'm some jerk who needs validation about... that."

She stared at him without saying a word. 

He dug his head into the pillow and resisted the urge to cover his mouth with it so he could stop ruining things. "Sorry, I made this super awkward."

"Nah, it's cute. It's my fault for coming off too strong. My ex is the only person I've really been with like this, so I'm sorry that made you uncomfortable."

His lips were drawn to hers like monarchs to milkweed. He smiled through each kiss. Becca's and his fears had been unjustified. Nothing had transpired between Maria and Mitch. Tom pulled away and stroked her soft skin."You don't have a single thing to apologize for. You're perfect." He kissed her again, and his nervousness melted. For the next few minutes, Maria kept his lips busy and his mind off his blunder. When they pulled away, she nestled her head into his shoulder and smiled up at him which had to be a good sign.

As the dishes in the corner of the apartment caught his eye, his cooking plan reappeared. "What are you doing tomorrow night?"

Maria bit her lip. "What did you have in mind?"

"Prae invited us over so I could prepare my potluck dish if you're not all cooked out."

Maria threw her head back and laughed. "That was not where I thought that sentence was going. I was thinking, damn Prae, we didn't even need to throw you a party, you bold vixen."

His cheeks flushed, and the heat of Maria's apartment bore down on him. She might not have hooked up with Mitch, but their friendship had warped her expectations of men.

"Why are we going to Prae's? Weren't you making poutine?" she asked.

"It seemed lazy since I'd be buying prepared fries, not cooking them. It intrigued her when I suggested pierogies, and the party is for her, isn't it?"

"I would love to go, but I'm helping Mitch with decorations and set-up."

Tom cringed at the man's name, even if nights like tonight left him with little doubt about Maria's feelings. "He can't do that alone?"

"The party was my idea. He's the one offering to help."

"Let's hope for Prae's sake he doesn't hit on her." Now that Maria was dating Tom, Mitch would move on to another unsuspecting victim. Prae didn't deserve the fate Becca had endured.

Maria stiffened then exhaled and relaxed. "I don't think that's what he's doing."

"You have too much faith in him."

"It's not up to you to decide how I feel about people. For the record, he has been quite supportive of you and of us." She sat up and readjusted her top.

Anyone could fake support for two weeks. If he could do it for months, it would be another story. Either way, if he hit on Prae during the party, Tom would step in regardless of what Maria said. Friends looked out for friends.

"Can you and Prae finish the pierogies without me?"

"We are making about five dozen, so it's possible. But, would that be weird?"

"What, you asking Prae to cook a meal for the party we're throwing for her? Maybe a bit."

"No, me going to another woman's apartment alone."

Maria blinked a few times and stood up from the bed. "She's your friend too, and she's lending you help and her kitchen. It makes little sense to use your apartment with the limited cooking tools you have there."

Maria's answer was logical, and he wished he could share her trust and open-mindedness about friends of the opposite sex. He'd try.

***

After a trip to the supermarket which flew by with Prae knowing where everything was, they ventured to her apartment. It was a tall building with several balconies filled with drying clothes, bikes, and other items. Prae pointed to the fourth floor where a balcony with counters and appliances rested against the wall. It looked neat and easy to use, although he was hoping to spend a bit more time indoors with the air-conditioning.

They ventured inside and up the stairs at a quiet pace. The vinyl tiles creaked and snippets of Thai conversation drifted through the walls as they passed each floor. It was more like a real apartment block as opposed to the frat house the foreign staff apartment blocks resembled at times, including tomorrow. He wouldn't put it past Mitch to get a keg.

Prae drew out her simple key chain with a silver kitten pendant and unlocked the door. Once inside, she hung up her cardigan and stretched her arms over her head with the elegance of a dancer. Did she dance like Maria or have other hobbies? She strode to an old radio and put on a Thai station playing instrumental music.

"You can place everything on the table."

He set down the heavy bag of potatoes alongside the cheese, onion, butter and meat then shook out his arms.

She placed her purse on her coffee table. "I could have helped you carry those. I'm stronger than I look."

"I don't doubt that, but you've already been so helpful."

Prae filled a large bowl with cold water and brought it to the balcony. Assuming it was to wash the potatoes, he followed suit with the bag. As he passed a shelf at his eye level, the ornament he'd given her sat nestled between family photos and important-looking figurines. He stopped and stared. The door creaked open behind him.

"I know it was for Christmas, but it was too nice to pack away with the tree." Her voice was soft like a gentle breeze.

"I'm touched you like it so much."

Her jasmine scent grew stronger as the floor squeaked. "Such thoughtful gifts are very rare."

"The painting you gave me was very thoughtful."

Their gazes met for a second before her warm brown eyes darted to the various pieces hanging on her walls. "It's a hobby I dedicate too much time to. As you can see, I have plenty to give away."

A fiery sky nestled between mountain peaks caught his eye. "Either way, they're impressive. I love how you captured the sunrise here."

"There's so much beauty in new beginnings. Like with you and Maria. I'm so happy for you two."

The sun illuminating the Northern Thai ranges came to mind, framing Maria's face in the perfect glow. Everything was so effortless that day. Just the rose-tinted glass before they jumped back to Bangkok, where he struggled to suppress his jealousy and kept making her uncomfortable during their dates.

"Thanks," he said.

"Where is Maria tonight? I can't remember what she said she had to do."

He readjusted the bag of potatoes. "Shopping and decorating with Mitch."

"Mitch?"

"They both volunteered to take charge of planning."

"Are you okay with them together?" Prae straightened the picture on the wall despite it looking well-aligned to Tom.

"Is there a reason that I shouldn't be?" Flashes of his ex tangled with her French lover appeared as he closed his eyes.

Prae looked at him then back at the sunrise painting. "No, Maria cares for you a lot. You have no reason to worry."

After her pause, he suspected Prae knew more than she was letting on. But it couldn't have been significant because they were friends, and he trusted she wouldn't let him get hurt if she was concerned.

"Thank you, Prae. I wish I didn't need to be reassured."

"It's hard to trust someone with your heart when others haven't treated it with the care it deserves." She straightened the picture again, but it only made it more crooked as her hands shook.

"You know that as well, if not more than I do."

She wouldn't look in his direction. He longed to reach out and hold her like he'd done at her parents' place, but he hadn't been dating Maria then. Now it would be inappropriate. There were other ways to reassure her.

"Sakda is completely dense for overlooking you. I hope you realize that. You're selfless, driven, kind, talented, and so much more than that sexist man could ever appreciate."

"Thank you, Tom," her voice came out softly. "I need to prepare a few things in the kitchen. The water to rinse the potatoes is on the balcony." Her black hair swung as she hurried off.

His feet felt like they'd sink through the floor. He'd intended to compliment her but only solidified the reminder of that jerk's rejection. Washing and peeling the potatoes eased some of his guilt. When Prae returned to help not long after with a bright smile and plenty of questions about his travels and home, their friendship shifted back to the comfortable rhythm it usually had.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4.5K 1.1K 78
A mysterious past, an unrequited love, and a desperate need to find himself, fifteen-year-old Kalyn has enough to occupy him without being on the ver...
3.8K 114 7
A short story ; Forcing laughter and faking smile , the male protagonist wants to get married to the girl he fell in love at first sight. Destiny an...
26.1K 2.4K 47
When her first love falls apart, a Filipina-Canadian foodie is devastated. To salvage their relationship, Maria joins a social-media cooking contest...
2.1K 514 42
Sarah is an ordinary girl, who lives in a town far away from the world hassle. A town which is a small world of its own. A lot has happened with Sar...