Sweetener ▹ The Infernal Devi...

jemcarstcirs

Evangeline Rosewell has too much love to give. Fortunately, the three people she loves the most are exactly t... Еще

SWEETENER
PART ONE
Prelude I━"YOU LOOK LIKE A GHOST."
CHAPTER ONE
CHAPTER TWO
CHAPTER THREE
CHAPTER FIVE
CHAPTER SIX
CHAPTER SEVEN
CHAPTER EIGHT
CHAPTER NINE

CHAPTER FOUR

1K 83 51
jemcarstcirs

CHAPTER FOUR
SUPPER AND BURNT SLEEVES

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

     "Evie, I swear, I am alright. There is no need to hover as you do," Jem croaked the next day, as Evangeline leaned over him to press a wet cloth against his forehead. He had fallen ill the previous night, while Evangeline and Will had been out on their mission saving miss Tessa Gray. The poor girl was still in the Sanctuary, unconscious from a hard hit to the head. A Silent Brother, Brother Enoch, had come to oversee her, but Evangeline hadn't stayed by the girl's bedside. Neither had Will. They had both gone immediately to Jem's room, only to see him also unconscious and covered in sweat. He hadn't coughed up any blood, thank the Angel, but that hadn't stopped Evangeline and Will both from staying up to watch him, taking turns napping during the night. Now, Will was off to bathe—Evangeline had bathed that morning, possibly the fastest bath she had ever taken—and Evangeline was left alone with Jem. He looked better than a few hours ago. The color was back in his cheeks, his fever was now gone, and he was trying to sit up against his pillows. Evangeline pushed him gently back whenever he tried.

"You haven't been taking it, have you?" Evangeline sighed the question, her voice so low Jem barely heard her. He stared at her for a moment as if confused, and then he blinked and looked away, a muscle jumping in his jaw. Evangeline reached out her hand and touched the place gently, easing the tension there. Another sigh left her mouth. "Brother Enoch said this morning that you must follow the instructions you were given. You must take the right amount of yin fen every three days to stay stable. You were supposed to take it last night. I keep track of the days, you know. So does Will. But you had a fever, which means you skipped. Why?"

"I hate it," Jem whispered. Evangeline dropped her hand, found his between the sheets, and squeezed his fingers comfortingly. He kept his eyes across the room, on his violin case laid out across a desk. He must have been cleaning it last night. "But I did not skip last night on purpose. I wanted to welcome everyone home." He was silent for a moment, and then he glanced at Evangeline almost sheepishly, a shy smile curling at his lips. Evangeline's chest tightened, her heartbeat going oddly irregular. She took a deep, stabling breath. "I confess I got caught up in my music." At that, Evangeline smiled back, relief making her shoulders drop.

"As long as you took it this morning?" she checked. Jem nodded, murmuring something about Brother Enoch not leaving until he did, and Evangeline nodded back. Pleased, she placed her damp washcloth on his bedside table, then climbed into his bed to lay against his side. His arm curled around her, and she spoke with her cheek pillowed against his shoulder, her eyes drooping sleepily. "I daresay you are very comfortable, my dearest. I might just—"

The door slammed open, and Will came in with his hair still damp from his bath, shirt not even tucked into his trousers. Evangeline peered at him through her lashes, then squeaked in alarm when Will saw Jem sitting up, grinned, and then took a running start toward the bed. He crashed on top of both of them, his elbow hitting Evangeline's hip. Both her and Jem groaned in pain, shoving at his shoulders to make him move, though he didn't budge. He curled his arms around both of them and planted his face against Jem's chest, beside where Evangeline rested on his shoulder. Jem grumbled like he hated it, but Evangeline and Will both knew how he enjoyed being held.

"Are you aware of how heavy you are?" Jem grumbled, even as his fingers sank into Will's hair. Evangeline watched as Will turned his face toward Evangeline, as he closed his eyes and sank into the touch, his cheek squished against Jem's chest. Evangeline smiled at the sight, her hand coming up to push Will's fringe out of his eyes. They flickered open at her touch, and he smiled at her, one of those rare sweet and bright smiles that made her chest ache. She shifted forward just enough to press a kiss against his forehead, then she stretched to kiss Jem's cheek. When she landed back on Jem's shoulder, she felt far better than she had earlier. The comfort the two of them gave her never ceased to amaze her, and she was never going to take it for granted.

"Flora is being rather sweet, isn't she?" Will muttered to Jem. Evangeline grumbled under her breath, making them both laugh.

"Evie is always sweet," Jem pointed out.

"To you," Will argued.

"To everyone," Jem argued back, sounding even more amused. "Teasing you does not make her mean, William."

"We shall ask the Downworlder girl when she wakes, then," Will said with a sniff. "We need an unbiased opinion—"

"Downworlder girl?" Evangeline cut in, raising her head so fast that both Jem and Will jumped. They must've thought she was on her way to falling asleep. She squinted at Will, wondering if he was making a joke, but he seemed fairly serious. Rising up on her elbows, she studied him some more, then she sent herself up into a sitting position. "I thought Tessa was a mundane?"

"Turns out she's a warlock," Will corrected, and then he grimaced. "Well, we think. I stopped by the Sanctuary before coming here to talk to Charlotte, and caught her and Brother Enoch theorizing about what Tessa could be. He thinks her father was a demon, but she has no warlock mark, and she doesn't seem to have warlock magic. But we did find notes in the Dark Sisters's house, and they wrote down that she can shapeshift."

"She's a new kind of warlock, then?" Evangeline asked, already incredibly intrigued. "How fascinating. I must befriend her, then, after she has recovered, of course. It would be lovely to go shopping with someone other than Jessamine for once." She sighed dreamily and sprawled herself dramatically over Will's back. Will huffed, while Jem groaned from the added weight. "I think Tessa would look absolutely darling in yellow."

"I daresay she is trying to replace us," Will whispered to Jem.

"I daresay she will find it incredibly hard to do so," Jem whispered back.

Evangeline's laughter was floating through the room a moment later, causing identical smiles to spread across Jem and Will's faces.

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

Later that night, Evangeline was running late for supper, having indeed fallen asleep against Jem and Will. Sophie had found them all, so used to the sight that she didn't even blush like she used to. She just hurriedly stomped into the room and pulled Evangeline out of the bed half-asleep, throwing an apology over her shoulder at Jem, who was too busy laughing at Evangeline's startled expression to respond. Will was running late, too—Jem was bound to his room, unfortunately, under Charlotte's strict orders—but he would probably get to the dining room before Evangeline, since he didn't need to dress in large skirts or corsets. Evangeline grumbled under her breath and shimmied out of her simple white dress she'd been wearing all day once she was in her room, letting it fall to the floor unceremoniously. She didn't change into a new under petticoat, just let Sophie lace her quickly into a corset, which she'd opted not to put on that morning. She always found them uncomfortable.

"Here, here, hurry," Sophie ushered, helping her step into the dark purple dress with black lace she had picked out for the night. It had short sleeves, but Evangeline tossed the black silk gloves back onto her bed as Sophie buttoned her into her dress. She knew the Downworlder mystery girl, Tessa, was joining them for supper, but Evangeline hardly saw the need to pretend like they were more disciplined than they were. Sophie was rushing Evangeline because she was needed in the dining room, nothing more, and Tessa had already seen Evangeline in skin-tight hunting gear. Seeing her without gloves was tame in comparison.

"Honestly, Sophie, breathe a bit," Evangeline teased as Sophie pushed her into a nearby chair. She didn't bother pulling Evangeline's hair up into an elaborate updo. She simply ran a comb through it—not gently, much to Evangeline's dismay—and then pulled the front parts back and clasped both locks at the back of her head. The rest, she kept tumbling down her back and over her shoulders. Beneath her long skirt, Evangeline's feet remained bare. She only paused long enough to put on a pair of socks for warmth, and then they were on their way to the dining room. Sophie left Evangeline somewhere along the way, ducking into servants' stairs to meet Agatha in the kitchen. Evangeline paused at the dining room door, glanced in a nearby hall mirror to make sure she didn't look flushed, and then she pushed the heavy doors open.

"—your benighted husband, then?" Will was asking Charlotte, who was standing beside Tessa, who happened to be wearing a bright pink nightmare of a dress, courtesy of Jessamine, no doubt. Jessamine never wore the same dress more than twice, and she had money enough to buy more. Evangeline let the heavy doors fall shut behind her, eyeing the place settings on the long table. Only the top half was set, as there were only six people living under the Institute's roof. They'd asked countless times for Agatha, Sophie, and Thomas to join them for meals, but all of them had refused. Evangeline could only assume it was some unknown mundane rule, though she hardly understood it. Jessamine sat alone on one side, but Will sat in the midst of three place settings. Their usual spots. He saw Evangeline over Charlotte's shoulder as soon as she thought it, and he smiled. "Hello, Flora. I was beginning to think you wouldn't make it."

"No help to you, of course," she said sweetly, walking around the table to take Will's seat on his left, across from Jessamine. The seat that would be to her left was empty. She was starving, so she barely remembered her manners enough to twist on her heel once she reached her chair and smile at Tessa. The poor girl looked absolutely spooked, her eyes wide as she took everyone in. As she took Evangeline in. Evangeline imagined she looked quite different compared to what Tessa saw of her the day before. "Forgive me, Tessa. Hello! I'm quite pleased to see you're up on your feet again. I hope you're feeling better?"

"Quite," Tessa croaked out, and then she cleared her throat and licked her lips.

"Good," Evangeline said with a wide smile, right before her hand came up and wacked Will promptly on the back of his head. It wasn't a hard hit, just a gentle swat, but he choked on the water he was drinking all the same. He was so dramatic, her Will. Evangeline noticed Tessa's eyes widen at the display, while Charlotte sighed loudly and pinched the bridge of her nose. Across the table, Jessamine snickered into her own glass of water. "What are you doing just sitting there? Tessa is a guest. Be a gentleman and bring her chair out for her! And for me, for that matter."

"I will do no such thing," Will said, just because he could.

"Jem would have," Evangeline pointed out.

"Why don't you do it?"

"I am a lady—"

"Will, Evangeline, enough," Charlotte said sternly, and it was enough for both of them to press their lips together. Evangeline smiled apologetically at Charlotte after a moment, then she took her own seat. Charlotte took a seat as well, to the right of Jessamine, close to the chair at the head of the long table. She always let Henry sit there. Charlotte motioned for Tessa to sit as well, and even though there was a setting on the other side of Jessamine, Tessa chose to sit beside Evangeline, across from Charlotte. Evangeline smiled at her again as she sat down, and Tessa smiled back, though shyly. "As for your question, Will, Henry is in his workroom. I've sent Thomas to fetch him. He'll be up in a moment. And Jem—"

"We know," Will and Evangeline said at the same time. Seeing Jessamine's confused look, Evangeline continued with a short, "He's been unwell, so Charlotte told him to rest." Jessamine rolled her eyes, and Evangeline's hand twitched around the stem of her glass.

"He's always unwell," Jessamine muttered. Evangeline's fingers tightened around her glass of water, fully prepared to dump it on Jessamine's head even despite their guest, but was stopped when Agatha and Sophie entered the room. They started giving out food, a simple supper of soup, roast pork, potatoes, and rolls with butter. Tessa was the first to go for a roll, left in a basket in the center of the table. Evangeline let her eat in peace, picking up a fork to start in on her own supper.

"You know," Jessamine said airily, staring right at Tessa with no shame, "I don't believe I've ever seen a warlock eat before. I suppose you needn't ever bant, do you? You can just use magic to make yourself slender." Evangeline gave her a flat stare at she popped seasoned potatoes into her mouth. She hoped beyond hope that Tessa didn't dignify that with a response.

"We don't know for certain she's a warlock, Jessie," Will sighed, sounding tired already. No doubt he wanted this supper to end so he could get back to Jem. Evangeline felt much the same.

"Is it dreadful, being so evil?" Jessamine continued, ignoring Will entirely. Evangeline rolled her eyes toward the ceiling and picked up her second glass, which was empty, twisting to ask Sophie for wine. Sophie quickly picked up a decanter and poured her wine that was a deep red. Evangeline thanked her and twisted back toward the supper table, drinking a good bit as Jessamine continued in her ignorance. "Are you worried you'll go to Hell? What do you think the Devil's like?"

"Would you like to meet him?" Tessa asked, setting her fork down on her plate. "I could summon him up in a trice if you like. Being a warlock, and all." Evangeline and Will erupted in delighted laughter, while Jessamine's face turned red. The younger girl sputtered as she searched for a response.

"There's no need to be rude—"

"You were rude first—" Evangeline cut in.

"Henry!" Charlotte suddenly cried out, her voice rising into an outright shriek. Evangeline whipped her head around, only for her jaw to hit the floor. Henry was standing in the doorway of the dining room, and his left arm was completely on fire. Something Henry didn't even seem to notice. He just stepped into the room.

"Charlotte, darling, sorry I'm late," Henry said casually, if he the left sleeve of his coat currently wasn't turning into ash as he spoke. It was up to his elbow now. "You know, I think I might nearly have the Sensor working—"

"Henry," Will interrupted, "you're on fire. You do know that, don't you?"

"Oh, yes," Henry said happily, as the flames licked toward his shoulder. "I've been working like a man possessed all day. Charlotte, did you hear what I said about the Sensor?"

"Well," Evangeline sighed as Charlotte shrieked Henry's name again, and Will got up to put the flames out with a vase of flowers, the water coating Henry entirely. She turned toward Tessa, who was staring at the scene with wide eyes. "Welcome to the London Institute, Tessa. Rest assured, it is never boring here." She sipped at her wine as Tessa slowly managed to pull her eyes away from Henry and Will.

"I can see that," Tessa breathed, and then a small smile appeared on her lips, an airy laugh following. Evangeline grinned back at her.

"You know what this means?" Henry asked, sounding very happy indeed. Evangeline giggled into her glass of wine as Will came to take his seat again. He was muttering about idiocy under his breath, and it made Evangeline elbow him in the ribs.

"That you set yourself on fire and didn't even notice?" Will asked flatly.

"That the flame-retardant mixture I developed last week works!" Henry exclaimed. "The material must have been burning for a good ten minutes, and it isn't even half burned through!" Henry squinted at his burnt sleeve. "Perhaps I ought to set the other sleeve on fire and see how long—"

"Henry," Charlotte said calmly, recovered from her shock, "if you set yourself on fire deliberately, I will institute divorce proceedings." Evangeline laughed again as Charlotte pointed at the head of the table with her spoon. "Now sit down and eat your supper. And say hello to our guest."

"I know you," Henry said as he obeyed, smiling at Tessa happily. "You bit me!"

"It was very inspirational," Evangeline whispered to Tessa, because she knew the girl must've felt overwhelmed by that point, and Evangeline often found that laughter was the best cure for tension. It seemed to work, because Tessa blushed briefly before laughing softly again. She even ducked her head. On Evangeline's other side, Will sighed at all the theatrics and refocused their attention.

"Have you asked Miss Gray about the Pandemonium Club yet?" he asked curiously. Evangeline looked at Charlotte for a response, but found herself looking at Tessa instead. She had straightened in her chair at the words.

"I know the words," Tessa confirmed, fiddling with her fork nervously. Evangeline wanted to place her hand over hers to ease her nerves, but figured it was too informal. "They were written on the side of Mrs. Dark's carriage." Evangeline nodded at her, offering a smile.

"The carriage is how we found ourselves at the house," she revealed. "Our investigation into the club led us there."

"It's an organization," Charlotte revealed. "A rather old organization of mundanes who have interested themselves in the magical arts. At their meetings, they do spells and try to summon demons and spirits." Charlotte sighed heavily, as if the thought alone tired her. Evangeline could understand why. Mundanes playing around with things they didn't understand often resulted in hauntings, demonic possessions, and at the worst, demons being summoned and set loose into the world. Most of the demons were low in rank, easy enough to hunt and kill, but the negligence itself was terrifying.

"Most of them don't work," Evangeline reassured once she saw Tessa's wary expression. "Humans rarely have magic to do spells, and if they do, it's very little and doesn't do much. If they do manage to summon spirits and demons, we are usually informed of it. It has only ever happened once in my lifetime, and it was just a ghost who wanted her dress back. Easy enough to deal with." She sipped at her wine, not even realizing the horrified look Tessa was giving her until Charlotte shot her an exasperated look. It only then occurred to Evangeline that Tessa had probably no idea ghosts existed at all. She grimaced and set her glass of wine down. Across the table, Jessamine snorted and dabbed daintily at her lips with a napkin, though her dinner hadn't been touched much.

"I can't imagine why they bother," Jessamine commented as she picked up her spoon. "Messing about with spells and wearing hooded robes and setting little fires. It's ridiculous." In that, Evangeline could agree. She really couldn't understand why mundanes played with things so dangerous.

"Oh, they do more than that," Will said, sounding amused now, even eager. Evangeline turned to look at him, watching as he smiled darkly. "They're more powerful in Downworld than you might think. Many rich and important figures in mundane society are members—"

"Secret societies?" Evangeline cut in, rolling her eyes. "The occult, more like. Fools, the lot of them."

"Either way, it's all very silly," Jessamine added, tossing her hair behind her shoulder. "They have money and power. Why are they playing with magic?"

"Because they think they have a right to do whatever they'd like," Evangeline muttered bitterly, suddenly remembering all the rich families with money and power who had sent her away so many times. She was part of a family with money and power, but it didn't feel like it. Not when she was an orphan in the London Institute, her funds frozen save for monthly allowances for her upkeep. Will heard her bitterness and shifted in his seat, and then Evangeline felt his hand beneath the table, finding her knee and squeezing. Evangeline relaxed and nudged her foot against his, shooting him a smile. He squeezed her knee once more before taking back his hand, and Evangeline found herself missing the touch.

"Jessie poses a good question," Charlotte said thoughtfully, twirling her spoon around in her half-finished soup. "Mundanes who involve themselves in things they know nothing about are likely to meet unpleasant ends." Beside her, Will shrugged, while Tessa buttered another roll with slightly trembling hands.

"When we were trying to track down the source of the symbol on that knife we found in the alley, we were directed to the Pandemonium Club," Will revealed. Evangeline scowled at the reminder of their investigation, setting her cutlery down and slumping back in her seat. Jem and Will had both refused to let Evangeline join them whenever the investigation required them to enter Downworlder haunts, mainly the drug dens, and she was very much still bitter about it. Especially since they had tattled to Charlotte. "The members in turn directed me to the Dark Sisters, and Flora recognized the carriage. It's their symbol—the two serpents. They supervised a set of secret gambling dens frequented by Downworlders. They existed to lure mundanes in and trick them into losing all their money in magical games, then when the mundanes fell into debt, the Dark Sisters would extort the money back at ruinous rates." Everyone at the table already knew all of this, so Evangeline could only assume Will was sharing for Tessa's benefit. She had a right to know who her kidnappers had been. "They ran some other businesses as well, most unsavory ones. The house in which they kept Tessa, I had been told, was a Downworlder brothel catering to mundanes with unusual tastes."

"Will, I'm not at all sure—" Charlotte started, surely about to mention this wasn't suitable supper conversation. Evangeline felt they had passed suitable conversation as soon as Henry had appeared with his sleeve on fire.

"No wonder you were so keen to go there, William." Jessamine looked at Evangeline then, smiling sweetly. "I'm sure you and Evie fit right in."

"Oh, Jessie," Evangeline sighed, slumping even more. "You are rightly begging for water to be dumped on your head."

"Have I offended you, Miss Gray?" Will asked, leaning across Evangeline to look at Tessa directly, his eyebrows climbing up. "I imagined that after all you've seen, you would not be easily shocked."

"A rather bold thing to imagine," Evangeline said, her lips right near Will's ear. Will turned his head to look at her, and their noses brushed. "Honestly, Will. And get off of me. I do like room to breathe, you know." Will grinned wide, no doubt remembering earlier when she had given both him and Jem very little space to breathe, but he pulled back anyway, sitting properly in his seat once more. Once he wasn't so close, Evangeline turned to look at Tessa. The girl's cheeks were flaming a pretty pink color, and Evangeline cleared her throat as she dismissed those thoughts from her mind. "Ignore him, Tessa. Will has a habit of being blunt."

"I am not offended," Tessa said, though she cleared her throat and averted her eyes. She might not have felt offended, but she did feel embarrassed at the subject matter. "I, ah, don't see how it could have been a...place like that. No one ever came or went, and other than the maidservant and the coachman, I never saw anyone else who lived there."

"No, by the time we got there, it was quite deserted. The inside, at least." Will reached over to finish Evangeline's wine, since she hadn't touched it in a few minutes. "Clearly they had decided to suspend business, perhaps in the interest of keeping you isolated." Will frowned and looked at Charlotte. "Do you think Miss Gray's brother has the same ability she does? Is that, perhaps, why the Dark Sisters captured him in the first place?"

"My brother never showed any sign of such a thing," Tessa revealed, then she paused, tilting her head to the side. "But, then, neither did I until the Dark Sisters found me."

"What is your ability?" Jessamine demanded. "Charlotte won't say."

"Jessamine!" Charlotte exclaimed.

"I don't believe she has one. I think she's simply a little sneak who knows that if we believe she's a Downworlder, we'll have to treat her well because of the Accords."

"No one cares what you think, Jessamine," Evangeline snapped, sitting up straight in her chair. Beside her, Tessa had gone very still, and Evangeline glanced over to see her hands clenched into fists in her lap. Her knuckles had turned white. Evangeline shot a glare at Jessamine, who had flushed at Evangeline's words, looking quite like an angry cat.

"You can keep it a secret," Will was saying softly. "But secrets have their own weight, and it can be a very heavy one." Evangeline dropped her glare to turn and look at him. She knew Will held his own secrets close to his chest—she still had no idea what his childhood had been like, what had made him appear on the Institute's doorstep—and she wondered how heavy they were to him.

"It needn't be a secret," Tessa announced, and Evangeline turned her head once again to see Tessa had raised her chin. She was looking at Jessamine coldly, and Evangeline smiled. "But it would be easier for me to show you than to tell you."

"Excellent!" Henry cried. Evangeline jumped. She had assumed he hadn't been listening. "I enjoy being shown things. Is there anything you require, like a spirit lamp, or—" Evangeline released a small laugh, though she attempted to muffle it with her hand. It didn't work.

"It's not a séance, Henry," Charlotte cut in, before looking at Tessa with a gentle expression. "You don't need to do this if you don't want to, Miss Gray."

"Really," Evangeline added, and then she finally gave in to her instincts, reaching over to place her hand over Tessa's own. They were still clenched into fists, but at Evangeline's touch, they relaxed, perhaps out of surprise. "Ignore Jessamine. She is quite horrible to everyone. You don't have to prove yourself to her, or to anyone, for that matter." Tessa smiled at her then, her shoulders relaxing slightly, and then she shook her head.

"I want to," she decided, then she glanced around the table. Evangeline sighed and took her hand away. "And I do require something." She nodded at Jessamine. "Something of yours, please. A ring, or a handkerchief—"

"Dear me," Jessamine cut in, wrinkling her nose distastefully. "It sounds to me rather as if your special power is pickpocketing."

"That is not what pickpocketing is," Evangeline said wearily. Jessamine ignored her.

"Give her a ring, Jessie," Will ordered, exasperated as much as Evangeline was. "You're wearing enough of them."

"You give her something, then," Jessamine retorted.

"No," Tessa said firmly. "It must be something of yours." Evangeline had been about to offer something of herself, the simple pearl necklace around her throat perhaps, but stopped when Tessa said it had to be Jessamine. She had something to prove now, and she would use Jessamine to do it, one way or another.

"Oh, very well then," Jessamine sighed petulantly, sliding a ring with a red stone off her pinky and setting it onto Tessa's waiting palm. "This had better be worth the trouble." Evangeline rolled her eyes.

"Yes, because taking off a ring was surely such hard work for you," she said sweetly.

"Evangeline," Charlotte murmured. She didn't say anything else, just look at Evangeline pleadingly, and it was enough to make Evangeline fall silent. Sighing to herself, she turned to watch Tessa curiously. Tessa was clutching Jessamine's tiny ring in her left hand, her knuckles once again turning white by the tight grip. At first, Evangeline didn't notice a difference. It started at the roots of Tessa's hair, the dark brown color slowly lightening to a golden blonde. Slowly, her brunette hair thickened and curled, pins falling from her hair until Jessamine's was falling around her shoulders. Her skin turned paler, her body shrank, and her face morphed, until sitting beside Evangeline was no longer Tessa Gray, but Jessamine Lovelace.

"By the Angel," Charlotte gasped, and that was when Tessa—because it was still Tessa, something Evangeline abruptly remembered when she saw the real Jessamine staring in horror—opened her eyes. They were the same pale blue as Jessamine's own. A perfect replica, like Jessamine was looking into a mirror. All Tessa had to do was hold something of someone's, and she could transform into them.

"Amazing," Evangeline whispered, eyes wide, completely awed at the new magic in front of her. She had never seen anything like it. She wasn't the only one staring. Will had frozen in his seat with a glass at his lips, and Henry and Charlotte were both gaping. If only Jem were there. He would think the display of power was amazing, too.

"Goodness, my nose is enormous," Jessamine exclaimed, cutting through the awed silence like glass breaking. Evangeline lurched slightly in her seat, blood rushing to her cheeks as she drew her gaze away, and Will's hand jerked enough to cause water to spill into his lap. "Why didn't anyone tell me?"

Evangeline rolled her eyes yet again, but the awe remained, even when Tessa transformed back into herself and gave Jessamine back her ring.

*:・゚✧*:・゚✧

AUTHOR'S NOTE: I know the majority of this chapter came mostly from the book, but I hope I could at least put something new in there.

Vote and comment xoxo

Продолжить чтение

Вам также понравится

92 4 3
The ending to Cassandra Clare's 'Clockwork Princess' - but with some twists. The already complicated love triangle has a new dimension, one that coul...
5.3K 178 17
Wessa AU. After a chance encounter in the library with the wild and alluring Will Herondale, Tessa Gray finds her life suddenly becoming entwined wit...
25.1K 562 37
What would have happened if Tessa had a sister? What would have happened if Will and Jem had another friend living at the Institute. What could have...
13.2K 267 24
Can't wait for The Dark Artifices to come out? Read this! I don't own these characters or stories.