Hiding My Heart

Od J_abbis

Deidre -Dee- Johson has had a rough life. A mother who is a drunk, a father who ditched out on her and her br... Více

Hiding My Heart
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Epliogue
Bonus - We Owned the Night
Authors Note on Sequel

Chapter 12

26.1K 687 67
Od J_abbis

Taylor Momsen (Katy)---------->

"Strike!" Scott shouted throwing his fist in the air as the pins all were knocked down yet again. I chuckled as he started doing his little victory dance. 

It was Friday and we were almost finished with bowling for Preston's birthday party. When we arrived we surprised him with a cake and his presents. I did end up giving him the wallet I found. And compared to everyone else's presents it was pretty lame. I kept telling myself it's because they know him better than I do, but really I was a bad gift giver. Unlike the expensive gifts the gang presented him with, Designer cologne, gift cards for the higher priced shops, heck even the sunglasses beat my gifts- they were designer glasses after all. But he thanked me anyways, and to my surprise he seemed to take a liking towards mine more than the others, I wasn't sure if it was because he genuinely liked it, or to make me feel better about it. But I tried to shake those thoughts away since I was going to give him the greatest gift I could give. My trust. I just had to get him away from the group a little ways then I could tell him.  

I was a bit nervous about it, but I knew in my heart, for some unknown reason, I trusted him. I almost told him yesterday when he stopped by for Thanksgiving Pie. He was all tied up yesterday so he couldn't make it for dinner, but he did come for pie. He stayed a few hours after and I really wanted to tell him, but I couldn't get him away from people... mostly my brother. Who has taken a liking towards him for some odd reason. So I decided to just tell him today at some point. 

Scott came back ruffling my hair saying, "Your up."  

I grimaced. Bowling so wasn't my thing, it wasn't when I was six and it wasn't now. Grabbing the purple bowling ball I lined myself up across the pins. Walking I brought my arm back and release the ball. My hopes of getting a strike plummeted when it once again landed in the gutter. 

Muttering under my breath I went back and grabbed another ball as the lane reset for my second round. Needless to say I only hit one pin. Why did I choose bowling again? Oh yeah, everyone wanted to since they are all good at it. 

"This sucks." I said with a huff sitting down next to Preston. He just smiled at me. 

"At least this is the last round before we go to the movie." He pointed out making me grimace. Again this sucks. 

We had played two games before this. One boys against girls, obviously boys won, and then the second random, and lastly we drew names out of a hat. It was Me, Scott, Preston, and Landon against Sasha, Mike, and Hunter. Luckily they gave us Hunter since they knew how bad I was. 

"That doesn't cheer me up." I groaned and pushed him out of his seat. "Hurry up and win this thing for us so we could go." 

He just laughed and grabbed one of the balls, without hesitating he flung the ball down the lane, hitting a strike. I glared at the pins as they reset themselves. It must be a werewolf thing. Yes! That's it, they are all good because they are werewolves, and have the strength and all that junk. While me... with my wimpy muscles and human strength did squat.  

"And that's how it's done." Sasha said making her last strike, pulling her team in for the win. 

I just rolled my eyes at her, switching my shoes. "Even if you had another player on your team, we would have smoked you." Hunter teased. 

"Ha. Ha." I said. 

"Aw, don't be that way. Your number one in our hearts," Sasha said wrapping an arm around my shoulder. I looked at her with a level look before cracking a smile. 

"I know, I suck at bowling, no need to rub it in." I said pushing her hand away so I could tie my shoes. 

"Who's rubbing it in?" Mike said innocently. 

I just rolled my eyes before going to the counter to give them the shoes back. "We don't have to go watch paranormal activity." Preston said coming up from behind me to give his shoes back. 

Turning I gave him a smile. "It's fine, you don't have to change our plans to make it up for me being a bad bowling player." I said with a laugh. 

He grinned at me. "But I've made you suffer enough."  

"This is your party; you decided what movie we were going to see. I can suffer a little longer." I assured him as we walked out the front door to wait for the others. 

"What if I made it up for you? A delicious chocolate mousse cake from Hearts Coffee Shop, my treat."  

I looked at him in surprise. "And when will this be?" I asked. 

"After the movie, I have a little bit of time after to do something." He said. 

"Deal, but there better be some hot chocolate for me to." I teased making him nod. 

"Let's go! I'm so ready for this movie!" Landon said bursting through the doors. Sasha grinned at me as she looped her arm through mine.  

"Are you ready for this?" She asked as she moved us towards Scott's car. 

"Not really, let the screaming begin." I sighed getting into the car. 

The hot chocolate and chocolate mousse cake better be worth this. 

........................................................................................................................................................................................ 

I was seriously going to kill Scott. I was scared enough as it was watching the movie and he decides to scare me even more. All throughout the movie he would yell boo or something ridiculous causing me to jump and scream. I was relieved when the movie was over and Preston took me to Heart's. He tried not to laugh as I ranted about Scott and different ways I could beat him up, but he just couldn't help himself. Although he was laughing at me, he did give me some good ideas on how to seriously injure him, good werewolf pointers I could use in the near future. 

Like promised he paid for chocolate mousse cake with hot chocolate for my drink. Taking a seat by the window he sat across from me with a cake of his own. 

"Thanks for this," I said after swallowing a bite. 

"It's not a problem," He assured. 

"But it's your birthday, I could have paid-" I don't know why I was insisting, guilt maybe.  

"Dee, seriously I don't mind." He said smiling over at me. 

I nodded, thanking him with a smile. We ate our cake in quiet for a few minutes until I finished the cake. Pushing the plate aside I sat back sighing contently. 

"So I know my present sucked," I started looking up at him. 

His eyes sparkled in amusement as he cut in. "Nonsense! I've been meaning to get a new one." He tried but I shook my head at him. 

"Oh please, it was a gag gift." I said with a little embarrassed laugh. "I honestly had no idea what to get you. I'm not the best shopper around, obviously, so I just went with safe."  

His smile was still intact as I explained. "Dee, I don't mind it. It's the best gift anyone could give me."  

I just shook my head at him. "Let's agree to disagree." I teased lightly. "Any way, I really have been meaning to talk to you alone." I admitted. 

He looked surprised at this, only because I never wanted to be alone with the opposite sex before. I was always in a group.  

"Really?" He asked as I nodded. 

"Yeah, so my gift was pretty bad. And well Sasha actually said something the other day that made me think..." I trailed off. "I just wanted to add in a gift from me, something I think is a little bit better than a wallet." He nodded, leaning in closer to hear what I have to say. 

"For some weird reason, I trust you." I blurted out, feeling my cheeks pinky just a little. 

All was quiet on his side of the table. My eyes trained on his chest intently. I wanted to peak up at him to see his reaction but I was slightly scared of what I might see there. But after sitting in a beat of silence I peeked up at him and was surprised to see his grinning at me. 

His blue eyes looked livelier, his lips stretched out in a huge grin. He looked like he just won a million bucks from my little confession. It surprised me to see him so happy over just a few words. Granted they were a huge step for the both of us, but I never knew he would be so happy over it. 

"Dee, this is-" He looked at a loss for words as he continued to grin and stare at me. "This is the best present anyone could give me."  

I smiled pleased to cause him to be this happy. This was new territory for us considering he is the first person I trusted after the accident. He didn't know what to expect after earning my trust. I didn't really know where to go from here, or what to tell him and what not to tell him about my past.  

"Where do we go from here?" I asked out loud. 

He looked thoughtful for a moment, just watching my face intently. His eyes looked a little conflicted, like he didn't know where to go from here either.  

"Well, I say we continue to take it step by step. I may have earned your trust, but I still have some ways to go." He trailed off thinking once more. "Tell me what you're comfortable with."  

I looked at him startled by the sudden change this conversation was going. Playing with my hands I looked up at him hesitantly.  

"I'm not sure really. I'm comfortable around you, like I don't mind hanging out with just you, as long as it's in a public place." I began; we have been hanging out a lot since he's my partner for the drama project. "I don't-" I broke off with a sigh. "I know you don't know a lot about me or my past... and I do want you to know."  

I honestly did want him to know about my past, maybe not so much on what had happened prom night. But my childhood, my family problems I want him to know, to understand. I feel like he wouldn't mind those things, he wouldn't judge me or be disgusted at me. He's already curious about my drunken mother and I can see him slowly putting pieces together. And I really don't want him to learn about my past that way. I needed to be the one to tell him everything about me. It felt right for me to tell him. 

"And no touching right?" He asked snapping me out of my thoughts. 

I hesitated at this; I was going to have to touch him sooner or later since our scene for drama requires it. But could I just let him touch me without thinking of that night? I don't think I could allow him to touch me without having a panic attack. I can feel myself freaking out over it just by the thought of having his hand on me. But maybe.... 

"I..." I gulped feeling my palms sweat just a little. "I know we have to eventually for school. And we can work on that slowly," I said raising my grey eyes to meet his icy blue ones. "And I'm willing to try the touching thing as long as I am the one initiating it." I finally said.  

If I was the one to touch him first maybe I can get used to it. We would have to start off painfully slow, but I need to work on it with my time.  

He nodded his head at this. "That seems fair; it will help you a lot more." 

"Thank you," I said, "For being patient and everything." I blushed. 

He just smiled at me. "You're a great person Dee, I may not know about your past or anything, but I can just tell. I don't want you to think I'm going to hurt you in anyway." He said. "I want to become your friend, like how Scott is. I want to be there for you, to help you."  

Cocking my head to the side I just looked at him. Why does he want to be like Scott? Why does he even want to know me at all? I thought all werewolves hated humans, or well the pure bloods did anyway. 

"Why?" I asked. 

He looked confused for a moment before smiling patiently at me. "It's kind of a werewolf thing." He said lowly looking around the small shop. There was only one other person in here so we didn't have to worry too much about people hearing about our werewolf talk. 

I didn't say anything at first just watched him. He kind of reminded me of the wolf that was outside my house the day of the wolf attack. I remembered the icy blue eyes that watched me from their hiding spot, making sure I was safe. I remembered feeling watched and hunted before that, and then the fight... it led me to believe this blue eyed wolf saved me from the predator. Just remembering that day made me remember Sasha talking about the rogue attack. She wouldn't give me too many answers, telling me to ask Preston.  

I had been too shy to ask him about it before. The only people I have ever talked to about werewolves were Sasha and Scott, but they weren't giving me any answers. Only telling me to ask Preston, which makes sense since he is going to be the new Alpha today. And just like that I got an idea. 

"How about this," I said leaning forward, my hands resting on the table. "You want to learn more about me right?" 

He nodded, not looking like he understood where this was going. "Of course I do." 

"Then how about this, at any time I tell you about me you have to tell me about werewolves." I stated. 

"But I thought you already knew everything about us." He said making me shake my head. 

"Sasha and Scott have told me some stuff, very basic stuff. But I want to know everything ranging from how they began to mates to how long you live, all that stuff." I explained.  

He considered this for a moment, his eyes showing me he was weighing all his options for this decision. Determination flashed in his eyes as he said, "That sounds great."  

"Really?" I asked excitedly that I was finally going to learn everything from him. 

"Yes really, I think this is a great idea." I smiled at him.  

"Thank you Preston,"  

He shook his head at me. "No thank you Dee," 

His phone rang as soon as I was about to say something, sending me an apologetic smile he answered his phone with a little regret.  

"Hello." He said listening to the other person on the line. "No, no it's fine. Yeah, I'll be home in five. Ok see you soon." He said hanging up. 

"You have to go?" I asked he let out a breath before nodding. 

"I have to get ready for the ceremony." He said. 

"What exactly happens at the ceremony?" I asked. 

He grinned at me, "Starting so soon are we?" He teased making my cheeks pinked slightly. 

"I will tell you something about my past on Monday, after our study group." I promised. 

He watched me for a second before nodding. "Well nothing really happens. The leading Council, who are made up of the original werewolves gather together at your house. Before you get the title they put you through some tests, something that I have been doing all week." He grimaced at this. "But anyways, they make their decision today, which is why I have to get home, they made their decision. If I get the title the pack gathers around the meeting hall. I stand up in front alongside my father, the council says a few words about leadership and why I got the position." He rolled his eyes at that.  

"Then my father bows down to me, and swears his oath to me and confirms he is passing the leadership and title to me. That's when the Alpha in me just... burst out I guess you can say. I've always had Alpha blood in me, and it's been getting stronger these past few days, so when I get the title...." He trailed off looking far away. "I will have the full Alpha power, anything I command to another member they will have to obey. Then the Beta will also pass down his title, the pack will then bow to us and swear their oath to follow me, when all is done there will be a feast."  

I took this all in listening intently at his words. "That's it?" I asked, "No big fight like all those books say?"  

He blinked at me before bursting in laughter, clutching his sides a little. "Sorry," He said to me when he saw my confused look. "You just surprised me." He admitted. 

"We did actually fight for the title before this. But about fifty years ago some Alpha's just grew greedy with the power. Packs would overcome other packs, Alpha's and many others dying just to rule another pack." He explained. "So many were dying the council finally stepped in and banished all of that. It also didn't prove good to the Alpha's mates. Since the Alpha would have to be killed in order to gain the title... their mate would eventually die at their loss."  

I nodded, taking in his every word. "How did you know about that?" 

Shrugging I said, "When I found out about Scott and Sasha I kinda went overboard on the research." I admitted making him laugh again. 

"Well, now you have me, your werewolf dictionary, so you don't have to get any false information." He said, "Now, come on, I have to get going, it wouldn't look good if the man of the hour was late." He teased. "I'll drop you off."  

Waving bye to Janice I followed Preston to his car. I was a little uncomfortable with being so close to him in a small space, but I didn't have any other option. Repeating in my head that I trusted him I made it to my house without having a panic attack. 

"Thanks, I'll see you on Monday." I said sliding out of the car and onto the ground.  

"You're welcome," He said. 

I hesitated for just a moment before saying, "Good luck tonight, you're going to be a great Alpha, and thank you for telling me what happens."  

"Thanks." He said softly looking pleased and proud at what I had told him. 

With a nod of my head I walked up to the porch, stumbling slightly as I saw my mother looking at me with cold eyes. 

I gulped and froze as she stared me down. "Who the hell is he?" She pointed to Preston, who was still in his car watching me with concerned eyes. 

I turned back to her and shrugged moving up the steps, brushing past her. "No one," I started me she reached out and grabbed my wrist, causing me to flinch away, but her hold was too tight. 

"Who the hell is that Deidre? You know I don't like any of your friend's coming around." She hissed, her grip tightening. 

Fighting I pulled my arm from out of her hold, glaring at her I rubbed my wrist lightly. "My friend, now leave me the hell alone." I said lowly turning to give Preston one last wave. 

I saw the concern in his eyes, he didn't want to go but with a flick of his wrist his phone was open and he was nodding. His eyes held mine as he waved with regret and backed away. Not waiting for my mother to talk to me again I hurried into my bedroom and slipped into my room locking the door behind me.  

Leaning against the door I held my wrist in my hand thinking back to the good days before she changed. With a soft sigh I stumbled onto my bed snuggling into the blankets. I wish she was the same person she was before. 

..........................................

"Don't touch her!" I heard my mother scream behind me.  

"Get the f_ck out." Joey growled twisting my sisters' arm harder. "She disobeyed me." He slurred making me whimper into the corner more. 

My sister was being punished because she wouldn't sleep in her own room. I had woken her up from one of my nightmares, being seven I was scared out of my mind and went to her. She came into my room to sleep with me so I wouldn't be alone. We thought Joey wouldn't be home tonight considering he was gone the night before.  

But he burst through the front door drunk like never before. He started with my mom first, slapping her and making his threats. Natalie heard the screaming before I did and she pushed me into the farthest corner. Brayden had burst through the door before Joey had, he tried protecting Natalie, but was knocked aside by Joey with one slap, leaving Natalie and I vulnerable. But now he had Natalie in an arm hold and I knew he was about to come after me. 

Seeing my sisters' pain made me want to cry. Joey is our father, a horrible monster of a father. There wasn't any good memories I have of him, all are like this one now, a monster destroying everything. It started with just my mom, until a few years ago he started getting worse, beating Natalie and Brayden. I had only been hit a few times, but each time has left me shaken and frightened of this beast. 

"No, you will not touch her!" My mom screamed out in defiance, grabbing hold of the arm that held Natalie in place and clawing at it, trying to break her free. 

The distraction worked as he let go, knocking Natalie off her feet. Whirling around he grabbed her by her throat and slammed her against the wall making me cry out, soon arms were wrapped around me, Natalie. She pulled me over to the closet and pushed me in. 

"Get in the back, in-between the wall and dresser, he won't reach you there." She said in a hurried voice.  

I did as I was told, wiggling my small body to the back of the closet. All the time I heard my mother's pleas, and before the door was shut I saw my brother wiggling under the bed, beckoning Natalie to follow. All too soon I was thrown into darkness, the only sound to be heard was the screaming and yelling that was slightly muffled from the door. 

I had no idea how long I stayed in there, it could have been hours or simply just minutes. But suddenly all was quiet, no more screaming no more yelling, just quiet. Hugging my knees tight to my chest I stared at the door or where I thought the door was located anyways. Shuffling was heard on the other side of the door making me freeze up. Closing my eyes tight I prayed he couldn't reach me that he didn't know where I was hiding. As the door slowly opened I whimpered softly. Please don't find me. 

"Dee, honey, its safe now," I heard my mother's soft voice call out to me. 

My eyes snap open as I look up at her in the door way, all I can see is her small silhouette. But that was enough to send me flying out of my small hiding spot and into her awaiting arms. She lifted me out of the closet, wincing slightly. My eyes found the figure lying on the floor, passed out. Natalie and Brayden were crawling out of their hiding spot as well. 

"He passed out, the alcohol finally taking course." She assured us as she walked me to my bed. Natalie and Brayden climbed on after her as she wrapped each of her arms around them, placing me on her lap. 

"Why is he like this?" Natalie asked softly, eyeing the figure as if it was going to pop out at her in any moment. 

My mother sighed softly, running her fingers through Brayden's hair. "It's a very long and complicated story love, one I will not be telling you." She said in defeat.  

"Mommy, you won't ever leave us right?" I ask softly, thinking of all the darkness that will come if she just disappears. 

"Of course not honey." She assured me, bending down and kissing my hair softly. 

"I wish he was just dead." Brayden says glaring down at the unconscious body. 

My mother sighs and stands up. "Come help me get him to bed." She instructs Brayden. He just glares, I know he doesn't want to even touch him let alone help him into bed, but he knows that our mother can't do it herself. Reluctantly he grabs the legs as my mother grabs his hands and they heave him out of the room, leaving me and Natalie. 

"I can't wait to be gone from here." She says to me softly making me look up at her with wide eyes. 

Natalie was five years older than me, she was only twelve and she has already set her mind up that she was leaving as soon as she was old enough. At times when Joey is out and she sleeps in my room she whispers to me her plans. All of them include leaving, turning her back on this lifestyle, turning her back on everything.  

She plans to get swept off her feet by the love of her life. She will get married, and she will leave this town without looking back. She tells me of her house, what she will do for a living, how many children she will have, along with their names. In her dreams, she has it all, peace and love, everything she doesn't have now. 

I fear the day that she leaves, she's my best friend, my protector. Once she's gone I will only have Brayden and my mom. And as much as I love my mom her protection isn't enough, Brayden is only three years older than me, only ten. Once he's gone what will I do? How will I protect myself? Upon seeing my fear she hugs me tightly to her small form. 

"Don't worry, once I'm old enough I will take you and Brayden with me. Mom will help, she'll come too." She assures me. "We will get out of this place one day."  

I nod, believing every word that comes out of her mouth, because that's all I have. Is words, dreams and hopes of a better life. If this is how I am going to have to live I have to be strong, like her. She doesn't let the beatings and screaming affect her. She's well liked at school, the leader in almost everything with the good grades and a lot of friends. I will do that too, I will be as strong as her. 

There is no more talk between us as Brayden and my mother walk in. It's then that I notice the red finger marks on her neck, and the scratches on her arms. It looked almost claw like. Her eyes were bruised and her cheeks puffing up. Her young face looked aged with stress and fear. I felt guilty that she gets the hits, she protects us from them. 

"Oh come here babies." She says gathering all of us in a group hug. Brayden hold onto me tightly as she pulls us away slightly, looking at us deeply, as if memorizing us. 

"I won't ever let anything happen to you. I will always protect you, do you understand?" She asks looking at each one of us in turn.  

I nodded meekly, holding on to her words even though I know they aren't true. He will find a way to hurt us, he always does. 

She nodded at us. "Good, I love each and every one of you. I won't ever let you down." She whispers as she tells us its bedtime, tucking each of us in my bed. Kissing our foreheads and whispering loving words. 

And true to her word, she did protect us from Joey. We did get hits here in there when she was too weak from a beating herself. But she never allowed him to hurt us too much. But things changed from that night. He became more distanced from us; he was gone from weeks on end until finally a year later he was just... gone. It was my eighth birthday that things changed.  

He was out of our lives, not a note left behind, his things all gone from the house. Not one single trace that he has been there. We thought we were free, we thought that everything was going to be ok now. Natalie stopped talking about leaving us as soon as possible, Brayden taking up the role of man of the house, and then there was me who fell in step with my sister, becoming stronger like I promised myself a year ago. 

My mother though, she changed for the worst. She was always looking for him, worrying about him. When a six months went by without a call from him she took to drinking. Everything went downhill from there with her. Leaving my siblings to raise me and themselves. 

.......................................................................................................................................................................................

Pokračovat ve čtení

Mohlo by se ti líbit

1.2K 12 24
Seven years ago, Devyn Fredericks mother went missing, her older brother ran away, her dad stopped talking, and her uncle became a big part of her li...
2.5M 119K 43
Liam Black holds a dark secret inside of him. This secret is cold, merciless, and as dark as the night. It flows through his veins and teases his ski...
695 130 28
It was like he was on the verge of dying from starvation if he couldn't taste me. Just when I thought the pleasure couldn't get any stronger, it had...
129K 2.1K 29
(**Violence in some parts**) Abused physically and mentally. Diana takes it all for her sister Emma, the only blood related person she has left. She...