I Owe You My Life | Ponyboy x...

By i_like_chopped_liver

Just a trigger warning on this book: mentions of self-harm and course language. Delaina Campbell is just a yo... More

𝑰𝒏𝒕𝒓𝒐𝒅𝒖𝒄𝒕𝒊𝒐𝒏
"𝑾𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒚 𝒅𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘 𝒘𝒐𝒏'𝒕 𝒉𝒖𝒓𝒕 '𝒆𝒎." - 𝑰
"𝑰 𝒘𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒓𝒕 𝒓𝒖𝒏𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒊𝒇 𝑰 𝒘𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖." - 𝑰𝑰
"𝑰𝒕𝒔 𝒄𝒂𝒍𝒍𝒆𝒅 𝒔𝒂𝒓𝒄𝒂𝒔𝒎, 𝒊𝒅𝒊𝒐𝒕." - 𝑰𝑰𝑰
"𝒀𝒐𝒖 𝒃𝒆𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒎 𝒖𝒑?" - 𝑰𝑽
"𝑺𝒉𝒆𝒔 𝒈𝒐𝒕 𝒂 𝒑𝒐𝒊𝒏𝒕, 𝑺𝒐𝒅𝒂." - 𝑽
"𝑨𝒏𝒚 𝒎𝒐𝒓𝒆 𝒔𝒖𝒃𝒕𝒍𝒆?" - 𝑽𝑰
"𝑻𝒉𝒊𝒔 𝒊𝒔𝒏'𝒕 𝒔𝒆𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒅 𝒈𝒓𝒂𝒅𝒆." - 𝑽𝑰𝑰
"𝑨𝒑𝒑𝒍𝒆 𝒄𝒊𝒅𝒆𝒓 𝒗𝒊𝒏𝒆𝒈𝒂𝒓?" - 𝑽𝑰𝑰𝑰
"𝑯𝒆𝒚, 𝑰 𝒔𝒆𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒈𝒐𝒕 𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝑪𝒉𝒓𝒊𝒔𝒕𝒐𝒑𝒉𝒆𝒓 𝒃𝒂𝒄𝒌 𝑫𝒂𝒍'." - 𝑰𝑿
"𝒀𝒆𝒂𝒉 𝒂𝒍𝒓𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕, 𝒔𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒏-𝒖𝒑." - 𝑿
"𝑰𝒕𝒔 𝒃𝒆𝒕𝒕𝒆𝒓 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒏 𝑺𝒐𝒅𝒂'𝒔." - 𝑿𝑰𝑰
"𝑺𝒉𝒆𝒔 𝒒𝒖𝒊𝒕𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒇𝒆𝒊𝒔𝒕𝒚 𝒐𝒏𝒆." - 𝑿𝑰𝑰𝑰
"𝑮𝒍𝒐𝒓𝒚, 𝒍𝒐𝒐𝒌 𝒂𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒌𝒊𝒅!" - 𝑿𝑰𝑽
"𝑾𝒆𝒍𝒍 𝑰 𝒈𝒖𝒆𝒔𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈𝒔 𝒄𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒈𝒆." - 𝑿𝑽
"𝑯𝒆𝒚- 𝒐𝒉, 𝑰 𝒅𝒊𝒅𝒏'𝒕 𝒔𝒆𝒆 𝒏𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈." - 𝑿𝑽𝑰
"𝑵𝒐 𝒘𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒆𝒓 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒇𝒂𝒊𝒍𝒆𝒅 𝒆𝒍𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒉 𝒈𝒓𝒂𝒅𝒆 𝒕𝒘𝒊𝒄𝒆." - 𝑿𝑽𝑰𝑰
𝑬𝒑𝒊𝒍𝒐𝒈𝒖𝒆
𝑻𝒉𝒆 𝑬𝒏𝒅!

"𝑻𝒓𝒖𝒔𝒕 𝒎𝒆, 𝑰 𝒌𝒏𝒐𝒘 𝒆𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒚𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈." - 𝑿𝑰

415 14 116
By i_like_chopped_liver

I was woken up by the front door slamming. I sat up from lying down on the couch and saw Dally walk in.

"Hey." I said.

He didn't answer me, he just plopped down on the couch.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"What, am I not allowed to be here?" He asked.

"I didn't say that, don't put words into my mouth. I meant why did you come here when you knew no one else was going to be here beside me?"

"Ehh, I was bored. Thought you might be too. You wanna get something to eat? I'm starving." He said.

"Sure." I said.

We got up and went to the door and I put on my shoes.

On the way there, Dally was telling me how he would carry an unloaded gun with him.

"But Dally, you could get in a lot of trouble for carrying a heater." I said.

"Yeah, but it sure does help a good bluff. The socs have been on out turf a lot more now, we gotta be careful." He explained. "You still carry that knife on you, right?"

"Yeah." I said. Dally had bought - so he says - a switch blade for me. It had a dark purple handle and four-inch blade.

We continued to walk towards the Dingo, when off in the distance we noticed a few socs ganged up on a greaser.

Me and Dally started walking over to go and help greaser, even though he was putting up a pretty good fight.

As we got closer, we realized that the greaser was Two-Bit.

"Hey, you guys better go back to your side of town." Dally shouted.

"Oh yeah? Well whose gonna make us?" The soc asked.

Dally reached for the gun that was tucked in his waist band and pulled it out, aiming it at them. "Me." He said. (Okay, but that's kinda hot)

The socs eyes went wide and they all scrambled off.

"Thanks guys." Two-Bit said. Even though he had a black eye and the side of his mouth was bleeding, he looked happier than ever.

"No problem man." Dally said. "We were just on the way to the dingo, get something to eat. Wanna come with?" Dally asked.

"Yeah sure."

On the way to the Dingo, we had to pass the lot.

"Hey Winston!" Someone called.

We turned into the lot and were met with couple members of the Shepard Gang.

"Hey, Tim, man, what's up?" Dally asked, shaking Tim's hand.

"Nothing much man. How you holdin' up?" Tim asked.

"I'm doing good, I'm doing good." Dally nodded his head and dug around his pockets for a cigarette.

"Hey Delaina, what's going?" Tim asked.

"Nothing much Tim." I said. I noticed a scar that went from his temple to chin. He didn't have that the last time I saw him.

"Hey, what's the situation with the scar?" I asked.

"Got belted with a broken pop bottle." He said. I nodded my head. Tim would always get into his fair share of fights, so I wasn't too surprised.

We were all talking for a bit when a red Stingray Corvette pulled into the lot. I could only think of one person who had a car like that.

Cherry.

Everyone stopped talking and Cherry got out of her car. She looked real nervous. People were whispering and murmuring. When they stopped, Tim gave her a cruel glare.

"Well, well, well... what do we have here?" Tim asked.

"I dunno Tim, looks like a little soc." Another greaser said.

"Yeah, but she's also the dead kids girl." Dally smirked deviously.

Cherry tensed up at that. I don't think she liked being called 'the dead kid's girl'. I understand how she felt. I got teased because I was the girl whose 'boyfriend' killed a soc. Most greasers wouldn't tease me about it, but the socs sure would.

"D'ya know what we do with soc girls like you?" Tim asked, flicking out his switch blade. A couple others did so as well.

"You and your soc friends have jumped us for years. Time to repay the favor." Another greaser sneered. They all crowded around her.

"Don't." I said. "Let's see what she has to say first."

Cherry gave me a small smile, which I returned.

"Well," She started. She pulled on the draw strings of her ski jacket and tucked her red hair behind her ears. She stood at about five-foot-five and her posture perfectly straight. She swallowed before continuing.

"I feel like this is all my fault-" Dallas cut her off. "It is."

"Dally let her finish." Two-Bit said.

"I'll testify that Bob and Randy were looking for a fight. I'll say that Ponyboy and Johnny fought back in self defense." We all looked at her. "I-I want to be your spy." She stuttered out.

We all looked at her quietly for a second before we all bust out laughing.

"A spy?" Dally asked. "Well why didn't you just say so? We sure could use a pretty broad like you for a spy."

"Alright then, I'll come here to report anything important." She said and smiled.

She started to leave but Dally stopped her. "So, you wanna maybe go on over to the Dingo for a coke or something?" He asked.

I remembered what Cherry told me and Ponyboy just a few days ago.

'I hope I never see Dallas Winston again, if I do, I'll probably fall in love with him.'

"No thank you." She said to Dallas. "But you can go to hell instead, if you please." And with that, she drove away.

"She loves me. She doesn't know it yet." Dally said smirking.

I rolled my eyes and we continued our walk to the Dingo.

~

"So, what'd you do today?" Darry asked as we ate dinner.

"Nothing much. Me and Dally were gonna go to the Dingo to get something for lunch and we saw Two-Bit getting jumped so we helped him. He wanted to come to the Dingo with us and then we walked by the lot on the way and the Shepard gang was there so we said 'hi' for a bit. The Cherry pulled up and said she wanted to be our spy."

"Okay, say that again, but slower." Darry said.

I sighed, "Long story short, we have a spy. Cherry Valance." I said.

"Is it that red-headed broad that y'all met at the drive-in?" Sodapop asked.

"Yeah. She said she would testify that Bob and Randy were lookin' for a fight and that Pony and Johnny were just using self defense."

"That's good." Darry said, taking another bit of his food.

Me and Soda were doing the dishes later and he suddenly spoke up, "I think I'm gonna marry Sandy."

"Pfft. Why?" I asked.

"Cause I love her lots."

"I don't like her." I said.

"That doesn't mean I can't marry her." Sodapop said.

"Yeah, but I'll give you a reason why you shouldn't." I said.

"Why?"

"She's cheating on you. Oh, and she's pregnant." I said.

"Wha- How-" I cut him off. "And it's not yours." I said.

"How do you know?" he asked.

"Trust me, I know everything." I said.

"You sure you're not just saying that 'cause you don't like her?" He asked.

"You don't trust me? I have proof." I said. He looked at me confused.

"I saw her walking out of Axl's (I hope someone gets this reference) house." I said.

He looked at me with heart broken eyes.

"I think you should just talk it out with her." I said.

I felt bad for him, but at the same time, he shouldn't be treated like that. Soda was like a brother to me and I hate to see him upset.

"Yeah, I'll talk to her." He said quietly and walked away. I was left to do the rest of dishes by myself.

After I finished the dishes, I went up stairs and sat at my desk. I knew that Dallas knew were Ponyboy and Johnny were, so I decided I would write Pony a letter and give it to Dallas to give it to him.

Hey Pony,

I guess you and Johnny got into a bit of trouble. You guys were all over the news and in the paper. I hope y'all are doin' okay. I miss you and I wish you'd come and turn yourselves in. Sodapop and Darry nearly went nuts when you were on the news. I did too. I never thought ol' Johnny could kill somebody.

Socs at school keep teasing me and saying that my 'boyfriend' killed their buddy. We're planning on having it out with them on Saturday night. I hope I'll get to see you before then. Darry doesn't want me fighting in the rumble, but I want to. He knows I could put up a good fight, but he still thinks its dangerous. I'll need to convince him more.

We all miss you Ponyboy. Me and Two-Bit were gonna come to Texas to go and find you guys. Darry's awful sorry he hit you, you know that. I can tell he regrets it. Sodapop ain't taking it too well either. He tries to hide it but I can see right through him. I hope you're okay and you and Johnny are safe, wherever you are. Say 'hi' to Johnny for me.

I love you Ponyboy, I hope to see you soon.

~ Delaina

I folded the letter and kept it on my desk. I went to sleep and planned to give the letter to Dally tomorrow.

~

I woke up this morning feeling less tired than I normally would feel the past few mornings. I slept pretty well last night. Not as well as I'd hope to have, but better than usual.

I went down stairs and Dally was asleep on the couch.

I went over and kicked his foot that was on hanging off the edge of the couch to wake him up.

He did a half snore and shot up. "Huh? Whose there?" He asked and I giggled.

"Want some breakfast?" I asked.

"Nah, got places to be." He said.

"Alright. Here give this to Pony." I said and handed him the letter.

"I told you, I don't know where he is." He said.

"Yeah alright Winston. Just if you see him, give it to him." I said.

"Whatever." He mumbled. He took the folded piece of paper and shoved it in his back pocket.

"Hey, can I come with you?" I asked.

"Absolutely not." He said.

"Why not?" I asked.

"Because, its dangerous." He said.

I rolled my eyes and went into the kitchen to make breakfast and I saw Dally lighting a cigarette.

"Dallas Tucker Winston," I started. He looked at me, eyes wide. No one ever said his full name so he knew I meant business. "What the hell did I say about smoking in my house? Get out if you need to smoke so bad at eight-thirty in the fucking morning." I said.

He sighed and walked out of the house.

Soda came down just as I finished making breakfast. I put a plate with two pieces of toast on it in front of him.

"Thanks." He mumbled.

"Soda, are you mad at me?" I asked.

"Why would I be mad at you?"

"Because, you Sandy broke up and its kinda my fault..."

"Its not your fault. You caught her cheating on me. You saved me from a toxic relationship. Thanks for that by the way." He said. He must've called her. Breakup over the phone, that's tough.

"Your welcome, I guess?" I said. He chuckled.

"Mornin' guys." Darry said as he walked into the kitchen.

"Morning." I said.

We all finished eating and Soda and Darry went to work. I decided I would go to school today.

I haven't been to school in a couple days. I went the day after Ponyboy and Johnny ran away, but I didn't go back since.

I finished getting ready and started walking to school.

I felt weird. Normally me and Ponyboy would walk to school together an' hold hands.

I got to school and I saw Two-Bit and Steve standing outside.

"Hey, you finally decided to come." Two-Bit teased.

"Look whose talking. This is your second time doing tenth grade. Probably 'cause you never came." I shot back.

"You know I only go for kicks. I don't care 'bout my grades." He said as we all walked in school.

My first class was History and I had it with Two-Bit.

"Delaina, I'm so glad you finally decided to show up." My teacher said. Oh yeah, I already hate all my teachers.

"Yeah, well, I'm dealing with things." I said.

"What? Screwing your boyfriend? Oh wait, he ran away." One kid said. You know, I was happy I didn't need to deal with Lisa, Jane and Mary anymore, but I had other losers like that kid I needed to deal with. There was about eight or so kids in every class I had, that I wanted to rip their heads off.

I shot him a glare and sat in my seat beside Two-Bit. We sat at the back of the class and didn't really pay attention.

I doodled in my note book until class hands.

"Ms. Campbell, please stay after class." My teacher said. I didn't bother learning her name.

"Ooo, someones in trouble." The same kid from before said.

I rolled my eyes. As the kid walked passed me, I stuck my foot out a bit and he tripped and fell. The whole class burst out laughing.

"Oops." I said. He got up, glared at me, and ran off.

"I'll see ya later." Two-Bit said and walked out of class.

I walked over to my teachers desk and she handed me a stack of papers.

"This is the homework you missed over the past few days, I expect it to be complete by tomorrow." She said.

She was serious? There was at least ten papers - double sided, plus all my other classes. I don't have time for this.

"Thank you Mrs. I don't care what your name is." I said and turned to walk off. As I passed the recycle bin by the door, I tossed the papers in and continued walking.

"Hey-" My teacher started but I cut her off. "Bye, see you tomorrow." I said.

When it was finally lunch, I sat with Two-Bit and Steve.

"So, how much homework you have?" Steve asked.

"None." I said.

"How?!" He said.

"I put it in the recycling bin." I said and took a bit of my food.

"That's a smart idea." Steve said. "Wish I'd thought of that."

"You can still do it." I snickered.

"Hi, Delaina." I heard a soft voice from behind me.

I turned around and saw Cherry. "Oh, hi Cherry." I said.

She smiled and sat down beside me. "I won't be here for long, I just wanted to see how you were feeling."

"I'm fine thanks, Cherry. How are you?" I asked.

"I'm alright. I guess I could be better." She said. 

"Hi, Cherry." Two-Bits said. She waved at him with a small smile.

"I should go, I promised I'd sit with my friends. See you later." She said.

"Bye." I said. She waved and went to sit with her soc friends.

"Why do you talk to her?" Steve asked.

"I don't know, she started the conversation." I shrugged my shoulders.

"Ain't she the broad you keep talking 'bout?" Steve asked Two-Bit.

"Nah, her friend, Marcia." Two-Bit said. He seemed a bit dazed. I looked over to where he was staring at. It was Marcia. She waved at him. He waved back, still in a daze.

I put my fingers under his chin and closed his mouth.

"You're a creep." I said.

"Am not." He argued, finally breaking out of his gaze.

"Yeah sure buddy." Steve said.

The rest of the day went by and I finally went home. Darry wasn't exactly impressed when I told him I threw out my homework. I helped him with dishes like always, and when I was done, I sat on the couch and watched a bit of T.V.

I got bored of the T.V. when Darry put on the news, so I took out a book.

Sodapop must've gotten board too, because he was a sleep with his mouth wide open and loudly snoring.

"...church fire...two young boys...saved little kids..."  The words playing on the T.V. caught my attention. I looked to the screen and gasped.

"Holy fuck! That's Pony and Johnny!" I shouted. This caused Soda to jump awake and Darry to look up from his news paper.

Darry looked closer at the T.V., squinting his eyes. "Shit, you're right." 

"Where do you think they are?" Darry asked.

"I dunno." I replied, and went back to reading my book. "Look at the T.V.. Maybe, then you'll get your answer."

Around ten-thirty, I decided to start heading to bed.

"Goodnight y'all, I'm going to bed." I said and walked up the stairs.

The phone started ringing when I was about halfway up the stairs. "Ugh, someone else get it." I said.

I heard heavy footsteps and the phone stopped ringing. I assumed Darry got it.

I was about to close my lights when Darry called my name. "Sorry Delaina, but you can't go to bed just yet."

"Why not?" I asked.

"You'll find out, just come down here." He said. I groaned and walked but downstairs.

"What?" I asked annoyed.

"Put your shoes on." Darry said.

"Why-" He cut me off. "Just do it and stop questioning everything for Christ's sake." He said.

I put on my flip-flops and followed him outside. We all got in Darry's truck, squished in the front seat and Darry started driving. He didn't tell us where we were going.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

123K 1.8K 38
"𝐈'𝐋𝐋 𝐆𝐈𝐕𝐄 𝐘𝐀 𝐒𝐎𝐌𝐄𝐓𝐇𝐈𝐍𝐆 𝐓𝐎 𝐋𝐈𝐕𝐄 𝐅𝐎𝐑" 𝘾𝙃𝙀𝙍𝙍𝙔 𝘽𝙊𝙈𝘽 -𝙏𝙃𝙀 𝙍𝙐𝙉𝘼𝙒𝘼𝙔𝙎 𝐈𝐍 𝐖𝐇𝐈𝐂𝐇 a shy greaser falls ...
4.4K 108 20
Joseph Anthony McPhee lives on the East side of Tulsa, Oklahoma. After being abandoned by the only people he thought to call family, he winds up sing...
182K 3.8K 62
A collection of Headcannons based on different scenarios with the gang. For more romantic type scenarios check out my other book "Staying Gold." A co...
22.5K 574 51
RANKINGS: 🙏#129 in idk 🙏# 38 in greasers 🙏#74 in the outsiders 🙏 #1 In old story!! "Its either you stay with us or be disowned and out on the st...