TouchDown- book one The Bradf...

By lyonmom

Every girl needs their world to be rocked at least once. While Aiden Bradford believes he has everything he's... More

Prologue
Character Information
Chapter one
Chapter two
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Epilogue
Book two of The Bradford Series
The family tree

Chapter 29

6.1K 189 10
By lyonmom

Thank you for reading Enjoy

Chapter 29

Aiden

He has balls, I'll give him that. I knew the first thing dad would do is come after Riley. She's the easier target for him. He won't go to the hospital where Blake and the others are, he would have to have balls of steel to go to Grandma. Riley is the one who isn't surrounded by Bradfords. How could he be related to Grandma or Blake? He's nothing like them. Nothing even remotely like me. Sometimes I wonder if he's really my dad.

It explains why I'm an only child. Mom had to have stopped there for a reason. Which is strange because this family group is huge but not my individual family. It's just me and mom and dad. Everyone else has two or three kids and then there's our friends that are included. Why did my parents stop at me?

And yet I think the answer has been right in front of me this whole time. Dad doesn't fit in this family. Just like Grandfather, he butts head with Grandma. That woman rules the roost. None of us mess with her.

But Dad doesn't like that anymore. He wants to rule just like Grandfather did but he's not built for it. Oh he knows how to bully and lie and cheat but that isn't how to lead this family. Grandma gets her way because of love and respect. That and I've seen her really mad like once and I'm glad it wasn't at me. She's fucking scary.

Dad doesn't understand that. Instead he tries to manipulate us to follow his way. We're all too smart for that. Especially the lady in front of me. Dad has seriously miscalculated her and that I would defend her. He actually thought I'd just go along with him and let Riley think I'm just like him.

I'm nothing like him, and I'll prove it

From the look on his face, I'd say Dad's pissed that I caught him trying to convince Riley to walk away from me. I heard what he said, I know he wants her believing that I'm just like him. Riley knows better but I'll still find a way to prove to her that I'm the better man.

Taking Riley by the shoulders I push her towards the living room. Those beady eyes are burning into the back of my head as I push Riley away from him. My eyes stay on hers, searching silently for an answer. Urging her to confide in me, I keep my eyes on hers, hoping he hasn't screwed this up.

"Riley? Please tell me he didn't hurt you? Tell me we're still okay?" When her eyes dart away from mine and look right at her feet I feel the uncertainty of our precarious position. She's recoiling inside herself. I can tell by her body language that Riley is losing her confidence in me, and in herself.

"You have so much you need to deal with, Aiden. Maybe you'd be better off if..." I hear the hesitation in her voice, as she struggles to tell me that she's leaving me. I can literally feel my dad smirking behind my back, with his 'I told you so' attitude. I'm not going to let that happen.

"No, no, don't do that. Don't make an excuse because of him! He's not a part of us. This..." I motion back and forth between her body and mine. "This is all that matters to me. I love my family but I want you. I need you with me, Riley. Please don't do something we'll both regret."

I'm going to fight for her

"Aiden, let it go, son. She's making the right decision. Even Riley knows that you're out of her league. You can do so much better than this. Stop slumming with a girl that will be waiting tables the rest of her life and let's call Leighton to fix this." There's that smug conceited attitude I hate about him. I would like nothing more than to wipe it right off his face. "Really Aiden, even she understands that this was just another one of your phases. Let's just chalk it up to a learning experience and move back to reality."

His words only infuriate me more. I'm not slumming and this isn't a phase. I've never felt that way with Riley. She's so much more than he is giving her credit for. She's tenacious and ambitious, fearless and vivacious.

I can't wait to see her shove it in his face.

I know Riley's the kind of person who will prove that she can do anything she puts her mind to. And when some asshole says she can't do it, Riley will prove them wrong. We're alike there. No one can tell me that I can't do something.

But I need her to understand that he's dead wrong and I want her, no one else. From the look in her eyes I've got my work cut out for me. That's okay though. She's worth fighting for even if it costs me my father.

Cupping Riley's face, I rest my forehead to hers and try desperately to block out my dad's words. Closing my eyes, I keep her in my hold, her breath slowly begins to match my own. Exhaling in sync, I open my eyes and stare into hers. No, I'm not wrong. I know we have a connection that my dad can't understand.

I see the fear in her eyes. Those big eyes questioning everything we've found together. I won't let him ruin this for me. She's the best thing that's ever happened to me. She's perfect for me and I'm ready to admit that to myself and her.

"Riley, don't listen to him. I want you, not Leighton. He created this stupid deal for me to marry her. I didn't know anything about it. I don't want to marry her ever. I want you, I need you, Riley please, please don't give up on me." Her little hands wrap around my forearms. Holding onto me and nodding with unshed tears glistening in her eyes.

My thumbs graze over her chin, stroking lightly over her lips while those deep wondrous eyes search mine. Memorizing every feature of her face, not just what she looks like but how soft her skin is, how deep those eyes are.

My eyes drop to her mouth and I admire the way her mouth bows up like she always has a smile on her face. The soft pink of her lips has darken as she nibbles at her bottom lip worrying about all of this. If I had my way I'd be nibbling on her lips myself. But instead I have to wait, giving her the chance to choose what she wants.

Those emotional eyes tell it all. Her frustration, her hurt, and her desire to know the truth. As she looks up into my face I know her eyes are looking for answers in my own. An answer I'm finally ready to give her.

She's looking for the truth. I know her well enough now that I know she's going to make her own decisions. She's looking at me to find the truth. And she'll find it, I'm wearing my emotions right out on my sleeve. I know she's going to see I'm being completely honest with her. My dad, however, isn't.

"I don't want to hold you back or embarrass you because of my background." Her voice is shaky and is as unsure as I've ever seen her.

Shaking my head, denying everything that's coming out of her mouth. I stop her worry when I kiss her hard. Putting everything I feel into this one kiss. "Never." I whisper against her lips and meet her soft anxious lips again. "Never, baby. I want you by my side for it all. Only you."

"You're only going to ruin her life and your own. Have you not learned anything from your mother and I? We made a huge mistake insisting on being together against your grandfather's wishes. But I was young and foolish enough to think Chloe could handle this life. I fought for her too until I couldn't do it anymore. Eventually, I saw that my father was right." I'm appalled to hear these words uttered by my own father. He disgusts me.

Taking hold of Riley's hand, I keep a tight grip on her when I turn to face him. "I'm not you. I'm not living your life or making your mistakes. I'm keeping the girl I'm falling in love with. I'll have her by my side and make sure she knows how important she is in life and that I love her and want her. Just like Uncle Blake does for Emma."

That got a growl and a muttered curse out of him. I know my dad's jealous of Blake. I know he envies him and wants what he has with Emma. But dad could have had it, instead he followed my grandfather's footsteps and turned his family away. This is on him, all of it.

"You're a fool! Aiden, open your eyes and see what's happening here. Okay, so you're infatuated with the girl. She's pretty if you like the type but she's different from your regular style. Admit it son, she's really not your type." Adam argues, but I've made my decision and I don't agree with him.

"I think I know how I feel." My attitude is hard as I dryly rebuff his remarks. "Your opinion wasn't asked for or needed for me to know what I want. You're wasting your breath."

"This is all a temporary thrill for her. She'll realize what she's gotten into and want to run for the hills just like Chloe. Not everyone has what it takes to live like we do. We're a select group of men, Aiden. Our needs are complicated and demanding. It takes a strong woman to handle us." His chin lifts as I see that ego rear its ugly head.

"I'm not that complicated and I've got a strong woman right here. But thanks for your concern. We're good." Tugging slightly on her hand, Riley bumps into my side and my arm wraps around her shoulders.

"You'll feel differently when you're married with a child and suddenly nothing is about you anymore. You'll no longer have her attention and you'll crave it. You'll look elsewhere to find it too. Just you wait, I'm telling the truth." For him, this is all about his needs, his wants. And there lies the problem. Dad isn't the center of attention and he can't stand it. Now it's crystal clear.

Stepping forward between Riley and dad, I chest up and make my presence larger, more intimidating. Dad isn't small by any means but he's not me. I've taken a page from Blake when it comes to working out and keeping in shape. I'm a big guy and I'll defend and protect what's mine.

That's Riley.

I give his chest a bump, flexing my arms and narrowing my eyes to liquid green daggers. My fists tighten and I'm ready to let loose. My body tenses as I prepare for the battle. No one is going to talk this way about Riley and get away with it.

"Like I said, I'm not you. I won't make your mistakes. I'm not going to break my vow to the woman I love. I won't cheat or lie to her like you did." My anger is growing and I can feel my temper getting out of control.

"I think you already have, son." He might as well have hit me across the face. I don't dare look at Riley right now. I need her to believe in me. I need her to know my intentions are true. "You're more like me than you think."

No, I'm not

Holding nothing back, I pull back with my right fist and let every emotion in me fill this single punch. I don't register hearing Riley screaming my name to stop me. When my fist meets his nose, there's a ripple of pain up my arm as the impact hits me. I feel the bones crack against my fist and his nose shifts to the side and he howls out in pain. Blood flows from under his hand. I know I've done some damage.

Riley yanks on my arm pulling my hesitant body back and giving my dad room to get up. Riley plants herself between us though and with one hand flattened against my chest and the other against dad's she becomes this amazing warrior in my eyes. She's willing to get between us to stop a fight that's been brewing for a long time now.

"Stop it! Just stop! He's your son! How could you disregard him, what he wants, like this?" Riley struggles to keep us from going at each other.

"Yeah, dad! Why are you such a dick!?" Not the best thing to say at the moment.

I learn that when he tries to push Riley aside but ends up punching her in the face. Her body is flung to the floor and I hear her head hit the tile with a loud crack. She falls and I watch her hands cover her face.

I don't think I could hate him anymore than I do at this moment.

Hunter

I got the message to stay put a little too late. For a moment I wondered if I should go back to the apartment but then I figured my family would all be converging here sooner or later. We might as well just stay put. The girls head up to Grandma's room while I let daddy know where we are and tell Riley not to open the door.

Riley was studying and probably is glad she's got some quiet to get her work done. I'll stay at the hospital for a while, family is here and we're safe, not that I believe Adam is violent. I'm not afraid of him. But I can see him going after Riley which is why I've been trying to call her for the last fifteen minutes.

She's not answering

I called Sawyer to see if he knew where Aiden was and he said Aiden was headed for the dorm. Well that explains why Riley isn't answering. With all of us occupied elsewhere they're probably taking advantage of some alone time. Good for them.

They haven't had enough time for themselves lately. My family is so close sometimes we don't think about it when one of us is in a relationship that needs nurturing.  It's just such a rarity for us to get serious about anyone. And because none of us liked Leighton we never left them alone. It was a good decision.

Thinking about it now I see that Leighton was never really my friend she used me to get to Aiden. I just didn't see it. It's not like that was the first or the last time something like that happened, I was just taken in by her act. Aiden has the right idea about not letting outsiders get too close. They only hurt us.

But then how am I supposed to meet the one?

I'm a romantic at heart. Love at first sight, true love, happily ever after, I believe in all that. I guess that's why I'm so easily lied to, used and tossed aside. My mom says it's because I want to see the good in others like I tend to see in my family. Dad says I'm just like mom and will find the one when he proves his worth to me. I don't think I'll ever have someone stick long enough for that.

It's a good thing I'm content with my life as it is now. I have a huge family who loves and supports me, I have my small group of friends who are related to me and even fewer people who we've let into our fold. The Segler's, Riley and a select few of others.

All Georgia approved.

Grandma can read anyone. She has an innate ability to see exactly what kind of person someone is. I trust her opinion explicitly. Which is why after she met Riley and liked her, I knew I could trust her as a friend. I wish I had Grandma's ability for weeding out those who want to use me.

I seem to be the one who is seen as the gullible one of the family. The only one who has never treated me like this is Wyatt. He's always been respectful of my feelings, he's taken care to not hurt me and yet he's my cousin's friend. Which is why any interest I have in him is murky at best.

Walking down the hall to the waiting room thinking about Wyatt, I'm not paying attention when I pass an alcove and hear his voice. Stopping, I plaster myself against the wall outside of the area and listen to the conversation.

"They're your parents, Roan! You need to respect them enough to hear them out!" Wyatt sounds furious. I know they've had their hands full with Roan and his greater than thou attitude.

"You respect them then and see how far it gets you. Dad pushes his dreams onto me. Everything he had in his career he wants, no he expects, of me. I don't want his life!" Roan yells back. He's had a hard time telling Reese that he doesn't want to play ball. The biggest problem he has is that he's a really good pitcher. Even better than his dad.

"He sees your potential! He knows you're better than he ever was. Roan, he knows you can be great if you just let loose and enjoy the game like you used to." Wyatt loves baseball but that's just because his parents made it fun for him. It wasn't pushed on him the way it was for Roan.

"How am I supposed to enjoy it when he constantly criticizes me?! No, I'm done, Wy. I won't play again and I won't apologize for it." Roan digs his heels in. "Why don't you leave me alone and go suck up to my parents. It's what you're good at."

I can hear them shuffling around and one of them slams into the wall. My eyes widen comically when I jerk at the impact. "Fuck you, Roan! Just because I'm respectful of my family doesn't mean I kiss ass!"

"No, you kiss Hunter's ass. Why not just tap the princess and get over it? It's not like she hasn't had a guy who fucked and ducked her before. Guess she's not that good if once is enough." Roan taunts. My face turns red and my heart pounds hearing the crude and mean comments about me.

"Shut up, Roan! You don't know what you're talking about! That's not who Hunter is and you know it!" Wyatt defends me. He's the only one outside of my family who really knows me.

Roan must have shoved Wyatt because there's another thud against the wall. "She's an easy fuck, Wyatt. Ask anyone, they only try to get with her to get into that family. That family just thinks they're better than the rest of us just because they're the Bradford's." His voice changes saying our name, exaggerating it and mocking us.

"I said shut up!" With that I hear the distinct sound of a fist meeting its target. There's a grunt then a low chuckle before I can hear the thuds, grunts and scuffle of a fight ensuing.

Turning the corner I see the two wrestling around trying to land punches on the other. Wyatt has Roan in a head lock and Roan is giving Wyatt kidney punches to try and loosen his grip. Wyatt doesn't even budge but looks up when I clear my throat.

"Hey, Hunter." He says casually as if this is a usual event for the cousins. "I'll be done in just a minute here and I'll head over to the waiting room with you."

"Why don't you just fuck her and be done with it. This fucking crush you got going is making me nauseous." Roan mutters as Wyatt punches him in the gut.

"I told you to be nice! Apologize, Roan!" The deep warning is followed by another slug to Roan's stomach.

I feel bad for Roan but after hearing his comments I'd like to slug him myself. I won't though mom has always taught me to take the higher road. Because of that I do what I know is right and push the two idiots apart.

"Knock it off! You're in a hospital!" Yelling at them I flatten my hands against each of their chests.

Roan pushes my hand off him immediately and steps back where Wyatt takes hold of my wrist but doesn't remove my hand. I can feel his heart pounding against my palm increasing slightly as he steps closer to me.

"All I'm asking is that you talk to them, Ro." He tries again to get through.

"You should be happy we don't get along, Wyatt. After all you are the chosen one of the family. Now you can have all of their undying gratitude for carrying on the family tradition."

Wyatt wants his family back. He just wants them happy, that's why he's so determined to fix this. "He won't be upset about you not playing! You're his son and he just wants you to be happy!"

Roan scoffs not believing him. "Right, Wy, and monkeys fly out my ass."

I can't stop the sarcastic comment that comes out before I can censor myself. "That's just because they're trying to escape your stench."

Roan tilts his head at me, his eyes burning a hole right into my brain. We've just never gotten along well mainly because of the way he treats his family. I don't get it and can't respect him because of it. Wyatt on the other hand tries to keep the peace with everyone. He reminds me a lot of Matt. They are like two peas in a pod.

"Not helping here, Hunter." Wyatt tries to not laugh but I can feel his body shaking in a silent laugh. Clearing his throat his eyes focus on Roan. "Seriously man, just try to have a calm rational conversation with them. You might be surprised."

"I don't know. I'll think about it okay but no promises. I'm gonna go before they show up. Tell Georgia I'll stop by when it's less crowded." He walks off and even I'm surprised he has bothered to check on Grandma. I guess she's finally made some headway with him.

Wyatt drops his hand from mine finally and steps back allowing my hand to drop away from his chest. He paces away from me then back. His frustration with his family pumping off of him.

He loves his family and Roan is a big part of that. I know they were close as kids but as they entered high school and more so college, they've drifted apart. Wyatt got to be friends with Aiden and the other boys and Roan was jealous. He wants to be the center of attention and he's not with my family.

Wyatt is stuck in a no win situation. He wants to make it all work. He loves his family and his friends and Roan doesn't even try. It's like he doesn't want help with the situation. In my eyes, Roan needs to grow up.

"Sorry you got pulled into that. Were you looking for me or were you just passing by and got stuck?" Wyatt finally calmed down enough to talk to me.

I shook my head and leaned back against the wall. "I was headed for my family but honestly an excuse to think about something other than my family drama is a nice change." I shrug and smile looking at my feet. "And after hearing you guys fighting, I wanted to be sure you were okay."

"You've got a lot of family shit going down, that's for sure. It's too bad we can't just get a break from it all. I know we don't have any time now until spring break with the guy's having playoffs and all now."

The football season just finished but they've got the playoffs for the bowl games now. Aiden and the others will be hyper focused on practicing now and won't have time for anything else. Then it's all football all the time as they prepare for the NFL tryouts.

If I want to watch Wyatt play this spring, I'll be going with the girls.

But... "Maybe we can get away. Do you have practice over spring break?"

"No, we've got a bye week. What'd you have in mind?" I can see his interest as he steps closer to me and leans his hand on the wall next to my head.

"We own an island in the Bahamas. My dad bought it for my mom as a wedding gift. We don't go there nearly enough but I'm sure daddy will let us use it for the family to get away. It's private, so there's no way we'll get into much trouble. And the best part is there's no press. We can relax, get a little sun, swim, water ski. It's really nice."

I doubt I need to do much convincing. The island speaks for itself. Pulling out my phone, I showed him the pictures from the last time we were there. As he scrolls through the pictures, I see the idea has merit with him.

"I don't think I ever knew your dad owns an island." His eyes stay on a single picture of me and Aiden in our bathing suits on the back of the boat. We'd been there for a few days and both of us had golden dark tans in the pictures.

"Wow." His voice sounded breathless. "Maybe a little vacation is in order."

Please remember to vote comment and share if you are enjoying this book thank you

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.2M 63.8K 48
How far would you go to protect the ones you love? A successful architect with a promising career in London, Brian's world spins out of control when...
389K 14.6K 56
Book one of Dual Threat Series ~ It's hard to resist a bad boy who is a good man. ~ Blake Bradford has lived a privileged life, thanks to his family...
226K 7.2K 41
Kingston Series #3 THE THIRD BOOK OF THE KINGSTON SERIES! Following his father, brother and grandfather's footsteps Trevor makes it to the NFL and l...
4.5M 80.9K 56
Emery Ashford had a smart mouth. She was known for it. As an outgoing teenager Emery was always hanging out with friends and with a lack of filter sh...