Heart Attack • Shirbert

By EchoingEllipses

Anne Shirley-Cuthbert had finally settled into her life at Green Gables when tragedy struck. For maybe the fi... More

Heart Attack: A Shirbert Story
• 1 • goodbyes, greetings, and gilbert
• 2 • cuthberts, cuddles, and cpr
• 3 • thoughts, tears, and thanks
• 4 • fears, funerals, and fights
• 5 • help, hands, and hearts
• 6 • silhouettes, stubborn, and silence
• 7 • woes, whispers, and waltz
• 8 • blythe, bridges, and beginnings
• 9 • prodding, plotting, and posting
• 10 • dancing, directions, and discoveries
• 11 • freedoms, fields, and flowers
• 12 • booms, babies, and birthing
• 13 • soothing, staying, and sleeping
• 14 • mornings, memories, and moments
• 15 • cramming, celebrations, and carrots
• 16 • ruby, rachel, and reveals
• 17 • partners, practice, and proximity
• 18 • backs, boards, and bickering
• 19 • working, worthy, and winifred
• 20 • beaus, bullies, and billy
• 21 • sanctuary, safety, and stories
• 22 • memories, makeups, and mirrors
• 23 • christmas, crimes, and confessions
• 24 • homecoming, hallucinations, and hearsay
• 25 • switching, strength, and secrets
• 26 • punching, prodding, and permission
• 27 • challenges, connections, and courage
• 28 • futures, feminism, and futile
• 29 • far-fetched, fires, and feelings
• 30 • acceptance, assumptions, and articles
• 31 • occasions, oceans, and opportunities
• 32 • chances, cautions, and coats
• 33 • engagEment, extend, and exploding
• 34 • publish, panic, and profess
• 35 • drama, divulging, and denial
• 36 • overwhelmed, okay, and olives
• 37 • exams, entrances, and exits
• 38 • scores, spelling, and successes
• 39 • trains, trips, and toronto
• 40 • dreams, dutch, and destinations
• 41 • cover, cities, and culture
• 42 • professors, pressing, and pride
• 44 • recalling, relating, and releasing
• 45 • travels, tourists, and talking
• 46 • rum, ravishing, and realizations
• 47 • wayward, wills, and withholding
• 48 • dread, doubts, and diagnosis
• 49 • patients, practical, and promises
• 50 • marilla
• 51 • rain, rings, and rights
• 52 • boxes, business, and buyouts
• 53 • mischief, moonshine, and moonlight
• 54 • regrets, reassurances, and revelations
• 55 • proposals, presumptions, and paris
• 56 • dashing, death, and decisions
• 57 • admittance, answers, and anne
• 58 • questions, quotes, and queens
• 59 • dresses, dust, and destiny
• 60 • fixing, flirting, and fleeing
• 61 • houses, happenings, and hotspots

• 43 • college, choices, and convincing

458 17 24
By EchoingEllipses

'I got too much dirt to come clean

Closets full of skeletons that you don't wanna see'

--

Class flew by for Anne after she willingly shared her life story with people she didn't know. Liz stopped focusing on her and instead made her students speak up about all of the wild and interesting stories they had written about.

All she could think about was how she'd never get anything like this in Charlottetown, let alone Avonlea.

When class ended, Maggie walked up to her desk, "Ready?"

Anne nodded tiredly, "Ready."

As they walked out the door, Liz called back to them, "Wait."

Anne and Maggie turned around to see Liz stumbling over her feet to talk to Anne before she left, "Will I be seeing you again, Anne?"

Anne shook her head, "I leave on Sunday. Unless you have class on the weekend...."

"I didn't ask about Monday, I asked if I'll see you again."

Anne knew what she meant. Liz wanted her to come to U of T. As much as it warmed Anne's soul, she couldn't help the ache in her heart, "I'm not sure."

Liz's face fell, "Why not? Surely you enjoyed yourself today...right?"

"I did, I loved it here." Anne followed up quickly, "But there are...other reasons."

"Maggie, you're excused." Liz mumbled. She wanted to give Anne a chance to say whatever she needed to.

Maggie was never one to lack confidence, so she smiled, "I'll be outside when you're done." And left.

"One of my brightest students." Liz commented when the door closed, "Do you know where she's from?"

"Where?"

"Mahone's Bay, Nova Scotia. A small town, like you."

Anne's jaw dropped, Maggie was so culturally advanced. How on earth could she be someone raised in the country?

"She came here on a full scholarship, because she otherwise couldn't afford it."

Anne couldn't find the right words to say.

"Do you know why I'm telling you this?" Liz smiled, trying to consume her own excitement.

"No...." Anne trailed off. All of her intuition was gone.

"Anne," Liz put her hand on Anne's shoulder, "I want you to come here. I think we need you just as much as you need us."

"What do you mean?"

"You saw the class. It's full of boys and only a few girls. Those girls are from the city. Rich parents, a higher class life, one where you don't need to harvest to live."

Anne was sweating.

"I needed Maggie because she brought a perspective these other kids couldn't imagine. They were never orphans —"

Anne flinched.

"They didn't fight for their lives, for their education, for anything. Your experiences, as 'tragical' as they may be, are what make you special, Anne."

Liz stared intensely into Anne's eyes, "Your drive, your passion, your talent...are all unmatched."

"Thank you." Was all Anne could say.

"Don't thank me yet." Liz pulled her hand away from Anne and bit her lip in deep thought, "Not until I make sure you walk through that door next semester."

"Liz, I-"

"I know you have worries and responsibilities. But if anything Muriel tells me is true, you have been taking care of other people your entire life. When will you start living for yourself?"

That question was one Anne had asked herself over and over. Her childhood was stolen from her. Was her freedom gone already? She always dreamed of fantastical adventures. How was she supposed to go on those journeys with responsibilities at home?

How can I leave Marilla?

"You don't understand," Anne felt a lump in her throat, "I can't leave. I can't leave her behind. It's selfish."

Liz put her hand up in protest, "Anne, prioritizing yourself isn't selfish. These people want to see you thrive. Let's be honest, you can't do that in Charlottetown. You know that."

"But we can't afford-"

"Yes you can." Liz interrupted again, "I want you to let me give you the same scholarship I gave Maggie."

"What?" Anne suddenly couldn't breathe.

"You heard me. Let me help you."

"I can't accept something so generous."

"You can. Choose yourself. For once." Liz insisted.

"I can't do this right now. I have to talk to Gil- my friend. I have to talk to him." Anne stuttered.

She needed to talk to Gilbert. He would understand. He knows her.

Liz sighed and nodded, "Write to me when you decide, please. It's the only thing I ask."

"I will...I promise."

Anne turned on her heels and exited the classroom before Liz could say another word.

Maggie stood in the hall. She had an idea of what transpired in the room next to her, but Anne's dismayed expression threw her off.

"Are you okay?" She put her hand on Anne's shoulder in a lame attempt to comfort her.

"Yes," Anne blinked hard and grasped all the energy she lost, "Where next?"

Maggie was entirely suspicious, but decided it was a problem for later, "My dorm. We have a busy day tomorrow."

--

"I expect you read chapters 30-32 by Monday." Dr. Brenker announced to the class as they were packing up, "Just because the semester is almost over does not mean your learning concludes."

Gilbert grabbed his suitcase, the one he hadn't gotten a chance to put away since the train, and walked bravely up to Dr. Brenker.

"Yes, Mr. Blythe?" He was eye-level with Gilbert, but exuded a taller and much more dominant energy.

"Why should I come here?" Gilbert asked, mustering all of his courage.

"Excuse me?"

"I have a choice between here and The...another school. Why should I come here?"

Dr. Brenker seemed offended, "It's not my job to convince you to come here."

"Actually," Gilbert countered, "I think it is. You allowed me into your class today. You must have some vested interest in my studies."

Gilbert didn't know where his sharpness came from. Probably from the same place that encouraged him to tell Anne how he felt...multiple times.

"I took interest in you because I saw your scores and your hometown. Very rarely do we get a country boy who wants to be a doctor, let alone someone so gifted."

Dr. Brenker sounded like he was forcing out his compliments. He didn't like giving praise, especially to some kid he didn't know.

"These city boys, Charles included, get boring. I like a challenge, Mr. Blythe. You seem like someone who likes a challenge too."

Dr. Brenker didn't even try to lower his voice. The entire class must have heard him.

"Why are you here?" He sauntered away from Gilbert towards his desk, "Why do you want to be a doctor?"

"I'm tired, Dr. Brenker." Gilbert clenched his jaw.

Dr. Brenker kept his back to Gilbert, "If you're tired, you shouldn't even try-"

"I'm tired of watching everyone around me get sick and die and I can't do anything about it." Gilbert stated firmly.

The room went silent again. Dr. Brenker turned around.

"Do you know how hard I tried to keep my father alive?" His hands turned into fists, "Did you know I had to watch as my siblings were picked off one-by-one? Did you know I caused my mother's death as a breech baby?"

Dr. Brenker couldn't answer.

Gilbert felt like he had an empty hole in his heart, "I performed CPR for hours just to fail."

He didn't want to cry. He wanted to punch something. Too bad Billy wasn't there.

"I want to be involved in preventative medicine. To be the person who discovers something that could have saved everyone I love."

He finally looked at Dr. Brenker, whose face was unreadable, "So I ask again, Dr. Brenker, why should I come here?"

Dr. Brenker never had a student address him like that. And the fact that a stranger had the nerve to take such a dominant position in his presence was astounding.

So astounding that he loved it.

"We are doing preventative medicine research here, which I'm sure you're aware of. You don't seem like you waste your time."

"I do not." Gilbert was riding his high of strength and control over the room.

"And I assume your other acceptance was at The Sorbonne. They're the only other school I know doing the same kind of research."

Dr. Brenker raised his eyebrow knowingly. All Gilbert did was nod in response.

"That happens to be my alma mater."

Gilbert's eyes widened, "You went to The Sorbonne?"

Dr. Brenker scoffed, "Graduated only a few years ago. I hated every minute of it."

"You did?" Gilbert felt dizzy with disbelief.

"The Parisian are smart and advanced. I understand why the prospect of Paris is attractive to you."

"Then why shouldn't I go there?"

"You think it's hard to be a country boy here? Imagine being there."

Gilbert was offended, "I'm just as smar-"

"Smart, capable, talented, blah blah blah." Dr. Brenker waved his hand at him, "You're smarter than all of them. But they won't see you like that. European medical students think they're something special."

It was like Gilbert was stabbed in his heart, "What?"

"You will always be the country boy. I was always the country boy."

Gilbert wanted to slap himself. How could he not realize Dr. Brenker was on his side.

"I don't need you to protect me." He murmured defensively.

"You don't. But the program and research here is just as good as theirs, if not better." Dr. Brenker smirked, "I would know. I run it."

"You do?"

"I do."

Gilbert felt the same way he did after Mr. Rose gave him permission to propose.

Terrified and confused.

"You should come here because we're doing exactly what The Sorbonne is, but better. Better people, better intelligence, better atmosphere."

Gilbert winced. He wanted to jump up and scream yes. But this proposition only made everything more complicated.

"It's a girl, isn't it?" Dr. Brenker read Gilbert like a book.

"It's not only-"

He shook his head with obvious disappointment, "You're smarter than that. You know you're smarter than that."

Gilbert's mouth was dry, "Okay. I'll think about it."

"I'll take it." Dr. Brenker sat at his desk and waved his hand at the door, "See you soon Mr. Blythe."

"See you...," Gilbert paused, "Thank you for your wisdom."

"I have a lot of it. Gets tiring to hold onto." Dr. Brenker picked up the paper on his desk absentmindedly.

Gilbert took his inattention as a sign to leave and rushed towards the door where Charlie was waiting.

Charlie's eyes bugged at Gilbert in disbelief, "I can't believe you just-"

"I need to talk to Anne." Gilbert demanded.

Charlie calmed down, "You'll see her tomorrow. Let's go."

--

A/N

I'm personally enjoying the parallel chapters. A lot of the storyline here that matters but doesn't was thought of in the moment, so you're all on this ride with me.

Hope you're all enjoying :) It's nice to be back

- K

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

662 12 5
Gilbert can never escape Anne Shirley Cuthbert, he's reminded of her wherever he is. But, how far is he willing to go to get her back after a misunde...
6K 180 9
A Gilbert Blythe x Reader love story! Discontinued SHORT story⚠️ After your family had been struggling with money, you move to Avonlea, in hopes of...
133K 5K 19
"We hide our emotions under the surface and try to pretend" Half a year after their talk during Bash and Mary's wedding, Anne and Gilbert experience...
Courtship By ‎

Fanfiction

546 37 5
Anne Shirley-Cuthbert and Gilbert Blythe begin realize their feelings for each other after dance practice at school. Or What if Gilbert and Anne had...