The life of Eve De La Cruz

Από Lilith_Deckerstar

Eve is the daughter of a third-generation American and the youngest Crawley daughter, but when they died she... Περισσότερα

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-two
Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter Seventeen

329 8 0
Από Lilith_Deckerstar

Spring 1920

Wedding preparations were underway for Mary and Matthew's wedding. They were now rehearsing for the wedding at the church. Robert, Edith, Eve, and Cora sat on Mary's side of the pews, while Isobel sat on Matthew's.

Mary and Matthew stand beside each other at the altar in plain clothes. Mary has a white train sticking out under her coat.

"Is there any news of Sybil?" Matthew asked.

"She's still not coming. She insists they can't afford it," Mary informed him. Matthew raises his eyebrows with an understanding frown and nods.

"Mr. Travis, can we move forward?" The Archbishop asked.

"If I could just ask you to come down the aisle again," Mr. Travis instructed. Matthew and Mary nod pleasantly to him and smile at each other as they turn toward the door, "Can we get the troops organized?"

"That means me," Robert said as he rose from the pew.

"It seems rather hard on poor old Travis when he's doing all the work, but the archbishop gets the glory," Cora complained.

"Papa was the one who wanted a prince of the church. I'd have settled for Travis," Mary turned to her father, "Is there really no way we can get Sybil over? It seems ridiculous."

"On the contrary, it's a relief. Branson is still an object of fascination for the county. We'll ask him here when we can prepare the servants and manage it gently," Robert said before he and Mary walked to the back of the church.

"I do wish Uncle Robert would get over the fact that Sybil married Branson," Eve voiced, "I honestly do not know why he obsessed with the fact that he was a chauffeur. As long as Branson treats Sybil with love and kindness, then I'm happy for them."

"I do too, my dear," Cora agreed, "But give your uncle time. He should come around eventually."

The Archbishop calls down the aisle, "Mr. Travis, are we ready?"

"Er, any moment, Your Grace, any moment," Travis walks back up the aisle, "Can we, please?"

Mary and Robert stand ready and take each other's arms before starting down the aisle.

After the rehearsal, Eve was at the hospital. She had returned in late February after Doctor Clarkson had her do a simple refresher course at the hospital to ensure what she did and did not remember, and Eve had passed with flying colors. Eve was currently tending to Mrs. MacCarthy, who was recovering from minor surgery and owns a bakery in the village.

"So, tell me, dear, how is your Captain?" Mrs. MacCarthy asked.

"Emilio is doing fine," Eve replied, "He wrote to me the day before saying that he and his parents were visiting the countryside and went to a vineyard owned by a family friend. "

"Oh, that sounds lovely, dear," She commented, "I remember one summer when I was younger, a few friends, my sister, and I visited Spain. Oh, the beaches were absolutely lovely and so was the countryside. My sister loved everything about Spain. Especially the man who would then become her husband. The wedding was so beautiful. I wish you could have been there, dear."

"I'll speak with H.G. Wells to see if he will let me borrow his time machine," Eve joked, earning a chuckle from Mrs. MacCharthy, "Oh, and I'll be sure to bring you 'Sense and Sensibility' tomorrow, Mrs. MacCharthy."

"Your too good to me, dear," Mrs. MacCharthy thanked, "And be sure to tell me more about your Captain when his next letter comes."

"You're welcome, and I will."

Eve smiled and went on with the rest of her shift before returning to Downton and wrote a letter responding to Emilio's. The two had been writing each other letters since Emilio left after the Servant's ball. Robert had told Eve countless times to stop all forms of communication with Emilio for fear that he was a con man or that she should be with someone of the aristocratic class.

The next day, Eve managed to get the permission of the parents and Dr. Clarkson to bring the children outside. The children all sat in their chairs. Some are petting Hera while listening to Eve reading them 'Alice's Adventure in Wonderland,' by Lewis Carroll. She was reading the part where Alice met the Cheshire Cat when one of the children interrupted her.

"Can you tell us another story, Miss Evie?" Abigail asked.

Eve smiled as she placed the book down and asked, "Oh, what kind of story do you want?"

"What about the story of 'The Nurse and the American'?" Sabrina suggested, and the other children agreed with her.

"Very well," Eve said before she began, "Years ago, in a village much like this, there lived a beautiful woman who was the Earl's youngest daughter. She loved to explore and learn everything she could, but her family thought it was unladylike with some of the things she wished to do. In America, there was a young man whose family did not have much money and had to live in a church with other families who had been taken in by the kind people at the church. Even though his family had very little money, they were still happy. One day, the young woman wanted to study nursing..."

Eve continued telling the children her parents' love story. When Eve finished, the children and parents applauded her.

That evening in the dining room, Mary announced to everyone that Sybil had written her a letter with good news.

"But what was in the letter?" Violet inquired.

"Just that Sybil's coming after all. She'll be here on Wednesday in time for dinner," Mary announced.

"Will she be coming alone?" Isobel asked.

"Don't make trouble, Mother," Matthew reprimanded. Isobel gives Matthew a wide-eyed look.

Alfred, the new footman, Miss O'Brien's nephew, begins serving Violet dinner.

"Can I do it?" She asked.

"If you wish, My Lady, of course," Alfred puts the serving utensils in the dish so Violet can serve herself.

"Are--Are you really that tall?" Violet asked as she severed herself.

"Yes, My Lady," He answered.

"I thought you might have been walking on stilts," Violet said, earning a chuckle from Edith.

"When does Grandmamma arrive?" Mary asked her mother.

"She gets into Liverpool on the fifteenth, so she'll be here the day before the wedding," Cora replied.

"I'm so looking forward to seeing your mother again. When I'm with her, I'm reminded of the virtues of the English," Violet reminisced.

"Isn't she American?" Matthew queried.

"Exactly," She said. Matthew gives a sidelong look at Violet's insult.

Alfred moves on with his tray to Robert and begins to serve him.

"Can I...help myself?" Robert asked, causing Alfred to stop.

"Oh, you want to as well, My Lord?" Alfred puts down the serving utensils.

"To be honest, I think you'll find that we all want to do it as well."

"What do you think you're doing? You're not in a hotel now," Mr. Carson, in a harsh whisper, scolded Alfred.

"Did you train in a hotel?" Eve asked Alfred.

"I did, ma'am," He replied.

Alfred is about to pick up the utensils, then leaves them and lets Isobel serve herself. Mr. Carson glares at Alfred.

"That will be useful, won't it, Carson?" Isobel asked, "Are you all set for the wedding?"

"Of course he is. Carson's motto is "Be prepared"," Mary replied.

"I'm afraid Baden-Powell has stolen it," Violet said.

"But you have all the help you need?" Cora asked.

"Well, I wouldn't fight the idea of a second footman, My Lady," Mr. Carson replied.

"I don't know about the rest of you, but I sometimes think it's time we lived in a simpler way," Matthew said.

"I agree. Much cattle, much care," Isobel agreed.

"Always supposing we have the choice," Robert added.

"Oh, don't say that. It's our job to provide employment. An aristocrat with no servants is as much use to the county as a glass hammer," Violet chuckled.

"Is there anything new from your beau, Eve?" Mary inquired.

"Yes, Emilio wrote that he and his family are in the countryside of Spain, but he won't be able to make it to the wedding, I'm afraid. His father is introducing him to some politicians while they're visiting a family friend's vineyard, but he said he will visit. It will be not long after you and Matthew return from your honeymoon," Eve answered.

"I wish you would stop talking to that man," Robert voiced, earning looks from everyone in the room.

"And why is that, Uncle Robert?"

"Because we know little to none about this man. For all we know, Emilio could be conning you. And when his charade is over, you will be left with nothing but a broken heart," He explained, "That is why you need to stop being with him."

"It is my decision to be with him. If all of it is just a charade that ends with heartbreak, then I am glad that I was able to have just a fraction of love. After all, tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all," Eve told Robert.

The next day, the car approaches the house, and the family and some staff wait to greet Tom and Sybil. After Alfred opens the door for them, Tom helps a pregnant Sybil down, his luggage in the other hand. Sybil steps out with a smile and goes straight to her father.

"Dearest Papa," Sybil kisses his cheek, "Tell me, did you send the money? Please say yes."

"What money?" Robert asked, confused.

"Hello...Tom. Welcome to Downton," Cora greeted him as she approached him with a bright smile and a handshake.

"I hope I am welcome, Your Ladyship," He said.

"Of course," Mary told him.

Tom gives a formal nod to Robert, who doesn't respond.

"Alfred, would you take the luggage for Mr. Branson," Mary requested.

"There's tea in the library," Edith informed

Sybil turned to Eve and Hera with a smile before approaching them, "Oh, Eve," The two hugged, "I've missed you so much. Tell me everything about Emilio since your last letter."

"I'll tell you everything when we're in the library," Eve said as everyone entered the house.

That evening in the dining room, Eve was happy to have Sybil back. The two spoke of what was happening in their lives recently. Sybil asked Eve about Emilio and Eve asked Sybil about what had happened in her life in Ireland.

"Is it an Irish tradition?" Violet asked Tom.

"What?" He asked, confused.

"She means not changing," Robert told him. Tom looks down at his plain clothes.

"Of course not, Granny," Sybil, irked, informed her grandmother.

"It might have been. You don't change on the first night of a voyage," Violet defended.

"No, My Lady. I don't own a set of tails. Or a dinner jacket, either. I wouldn't get any use out of them," Tom informed.

"Well, I hope you own a morning coat since you're here for a wedding," Robert spoke.

"No, I'm afraid I don't," He said.

"We live a completely different kind of life, Papa," Sybil told her father, trying to hide her frustration with the conversation.

"Obviously."

Mr. Carson holds the serving dish at Tom's eye level.

"Could you lower it a bit, please, Mr. Carson?" Tom requested, and Mr. Carson obliged.

"You should buy a Downton wardrobe and leave it here. Then you won't have to pack when you come," Mary suggested.

"What a good idea," Edith added. Sybil smiles at her sisters for help.

"I'm sorry, but I'm afraid I can't turn into somebody else just to please you," Tom voiced.

"More's the pity," Violet mumbled.

"Oh, now why should you change to please us?" Isobel defended.

"I agree," Eve said, "If everyone were the same, then this would be a rather dull world."

"What is the general feeling in Ireland now?" Matthew inquired Tom, trying to change the subject.

"That we're in sight of throwing off the English yoke," He answered.

"Do you approve of the new act?" Isobel asked him.

"Would you approve if your country'd been divided by a foreign power?"

"Well, won't it bring home rule for Southern Ireland nearer?"

"Home rule on English terms presided over by an English king," Tom explained.

"Is keeping the monarchy a problem?" Matthew sought.

"Would it be a problem for you to be ruled by the German Kaiser?" Tom retorted, causing Mr. Carson to snap a glass stem in shock.

Robert turns to look and asks, "Carson, are you all right?"

"I've been very clumsy, my Lord. I do apologize," He responded.

Sybil closes her eyes in embarrassment. Cora attempts to redirect the conversation to safer topics.

"Is it true that Irish gardens have more variety than ours," Cora spoke, attempting to change the subject. The attempt was so obvious that Robert sighed.

"Oh, yes. Don't you remember Lady Dufferin's ball at Clandeboye? The gardens there were heavenly," Edith added.

No one's fooled by the topic change. The Bransons both look uncomfortable.

That evening in the drawing room, some of the ladies play cards while Robert and Mary get drinks.

"Tomorrow, let's ask the servants to come up and dine with us. It'll make things easier," Violet chuckled.

"You must get him to stop calling Granny "Milady." And Mama," Mary voiced.

"We need something that doesn't sound too stiff and grand," Isobel suggested.

"Lady Grantham, of course. And he can call me Lord Grantham," Robert answered.

"That doesn't sound stiff or grand at all," Sybil retorted.

"Give it time, Sybil. Uncle Robert will come around," Eve said softly, smiling.

The drawing room was empty, except for Eve, Hera, Mary, and Sybil. The three stayed in the room, talking about Sybil's new life.

"Somehow, none of it seems to matter when we're in Dublin. Class and all that just seems to fade away," Sybil revealed, "I'm Mrs. Branson, and we get on with our lives like millions of others. But here, he feels so patronized, and he hates it."

"But you don't regret it?" Mary asked her.

"No, never," She replied. The three women smile, "He's a wonderful, wonderful man. I just wish you knew him."

"Darling, we will know him. We'll know him and value him. I promise," Mary comforted.

Sybil smiles, "Anyway...I best go upstairs," They rise from the couch, "Make sure he's not too suicidal. Goodnight."

They each kiss one another goodnight.

"Oh, by the way, I don't know if Mama's told you, but the whole Grey family's coming tomorrow night," Mary informed her.

Sybil exhales in amusement, "Including Larry?" Both Eve and Mary nod with an amused smile. Sybil laughs, "Crikey."

"You'd better warn Tom," Eve said.

Sybil nodded and turned to go.

"Oh, and Sybil, if I were you, I wouldn't tell Papa about being Mrs. Branson," Mary advised.

They chuckle slightly. Sybil agrees with a shake of her head. She leaves, and Mary takes a sip of tea.

Eve was walking down the hall to her room, with Hera by her side, when she stopped at the door of her uncle and aunt's room when she heard them mention her name.

"I don't know why you're so against Eve being with Mr. De Santis," Cora said, "He seemed so nice when he had come here on Christmas and again for the servant's ball. He returned Eve's necklace and has been nothing but a gentleman to her."

"I just don't want anything to hurt her," Robert sighed, "Eve has experienced enough pain and tragedy for a lifetime. She lost both of her parents at such a young age, so close together, and then she lost her entire memory at the end of the war. Cora, the moment I first saw her, I saw my sister and everything she was. I swore I would never let this world hurt Eve again. I never wanted to see her in such pain. Just like I never want my daughters to experience such pain and heartache. There are times when I wonder how she has kept her faith in God."

Cora smiled at her husband, "Because she knows that what she has been put through will only make her stronger and a better person because of it. Just like the girls, we can't protect and keep her locked up forever, Robert."

"I suppose you are right," He said, "I just wish my sister were here."

As Eve continued walking to her room, she couldn't help by think about what her aunt and uncle were saying. And she continued to think about it until she fell asleep.

It was the next night and the night of the dinner of the Greys. Everyone was gathered in the drawing room and conversed with each other. Matthew with Mary, Tom with Larry, Edith with Sir Anthony, Violet with Isobel, Robert with Richard, and Eve with Cora and Sybil.

"Has there been anything new from Emilio, Eve?" Sybil inquired.

"I received a letter from him this morning," Eve replied, "He said that he will be able to attend the wedding with me and will be here the day Grandmamma Martha arrives."

"Oh, Eve, that is fantastic news," Sybil said with a smile. Cora smiled for her niece and thought back to the conversation that she and Robert had the night before.

"Eve, dear, there is something I want to speak with you about," Cora said to her niece, "Sybil could you give us a moment?"

"Of course, Mama," She replied before walking away.

"Eve, last night your uncle and I were discussing Mr. De Santis and you," Cora informed her, "Your uncle thinks that you should end what you have with Mr. De Santis, only because he doesn't want you to get hurt. Your uncle loves you as if you were his own, and I want you to know that what he is doing is to protect you. But I know you are a strong and independent woman, who will come back from anything. So if you wish to continue your relationship with Mr. De Santis then you have my blessing."

"Thank you, Aunt Cora," Eve said. She shares a smile with her aunt.

"I'll ask the train station to inform my mother and Mr. De Santis of each other when they arrive and ask them if they wouldn't mind sharing a car."

Mr. Carson enters the drawing room and announces, "Dinner is served, Your Ladyship."

Dinner was unpleasant as Tom kept shouting and arguing with those around him. Eve couldn't help but feel that there was something wrong with him. She knew that Tom would never act like this for Sybil, who Eve could tell was upset with Tom's behavior.

"No, I don't agree! And I don't care who knows it!" Tom yelled, "Or that the Black and Tans are there to restore order, are they? Well, why don't they just murder the entire population, and then you wouldn't hear a squeak out of any of them!?"

"Is there any way to shut him up?" Violet questioned.

"If I knew how to control him, he wouldn't be here in the first place," Robert answered.

"Are you interested in Irish politics, Lord Merton?" Cora asked.

"Well, I was only just saying that I thought--" Lord Merton began.

"He's interested in Irish repression!" Tom interrupted, "Like all of you."

"Look, old chap, of course, this stuff matters a great deal to you," Matthew said, attempting to calm Tom down.

"Yes, it does matter. This stuff. It matters a very great deal," Tom argued.

Mary looks over and sees Larry holding in another smile and asks, "What's so funny?"

"Nothing, I'm just enjoying this vivid display of Irish character," He answered.

"Please, Tom, we don't need to wear everyone out," Sybil told her husband.

"Why? What's the matter? Am I not being polite enough?" Tom tosses his napkin on the table.

"Well, wait a minute. This was down to you, wasn't it?" Sir Anthony asked Larry.

Larry furrows his eyebrows, confused, "I don't know what you mean."

"Yes, you do. I saw you. You put something in his drink, didn't you? Just before we came in," He accused. Everyone turns their heads and looks at Larry.

"That's not true, is it, Larry?" Sybil inquired.

"What a beastly thing to do," Edith insulted.

"Oh, come on, Edith. That's not like you. You could always take a joke," Larry defended.

"A bully's defense," Eve retorted, causing Larry's smile to drop as he turned to her.

"Listen, everyone, Mr. Grey has given my brother-in-law something to make him appear drunk," Mary explained to everyone at the table.

"Could it be drink?" Violet spoke.

"No, not drink. Some horrible pill. Sybil, take him upstairs," She instructed her sister.

"Il ne manque ça," Robert muttered. Sybil and Eve stood from their seats and went over to help Tom.

"Tom has been the victim of a cruel prank, which I know you will all be kind enough to forget," Cora addressed.

"Forgive, perhaps. Forget, never," Violet responded.

"Is this true, Larry?" Lord Merton asked his son.

"I don't know why you're getting so hot under the collar. He's only a grubby little chauffeur chap--" Larry began.

Lord Merton, Matthew, and Robert all bolt out of their chairs in indignation.

"Be silent this instant, sir!" Lord Merton demanded.

Larry stares wide-eyed at his father. Lord Merton turns calmly to Tom, who's slightly hunched over on the serving table with Sybil and Eve's support.

"I apologize for my son, Mr. Branson. Unreservedly. I only hope you'll recover before the wedding," Lord Merton continued.

"I hope so, too," Matthew steps over to Tom, "Since I want him to be my best man."

Matthew claps Tom on the shoulder. Robert looks at Matthew in surprise as he's about to sit down, and Mr. Carson and Isobel's jaws drop, but Isobel quickly recovers.

"Bravo! Well said!" Isobel cheered.

Tom stares at Matthew, and Sybil smiles.

"Do you really mean it?" Sybil asked.

Tom stares at Matthew with bright hopefulness in his eyes, "Honestly?"

"I've told you before if we're mad enough to take on the Crawley girls, we have to stick together," Matthew replied.

"Oh! Thank you, Matthew. Thank you so much," Mary said as she beamed happily.

Matthew smiles, and Tom pats him on the arm as he hunches toward the door.

The next day in Mary's bedroom, Anna, Sybil, Edith, and Eve look over Mary's new outfit for her honeymoon.

"I'm not sure about the hat. Is it supposed to look crooked?" Edith questioned.

"Don't listen to her. I love it," Sybil commented.

"It's perfect, Mary. You're not to change a thing," Eve instructed.

"Anna?"

"I think you look lovely, Milady," Anna replied to Mary.

Mary smiled at Anna's comment. A moment later, there's a knock at the door, and the ladies turn around.

"Stop. Wait. Who is it?" Sybil called.

"Your longsuffering papa," Robert answered.

"I suppose he can come in," Mary replied.

Robert enters the room, and Mary holds out her hands for his opinion.

"What's this for?"

"Going away," Mary answered before she twisted so he could see the back, "How does it look?"

"Expensive."

"Twice the national debt, I'm afraid. But I know you don't mind," Mary said as she cringed hopefully and apologetically.

"Can I have one moment alone to give Mary my blessing?" Robert requested.

"That's lovely. Shoo, everyone," Sybil said as she hurried out the others to leave Mary and Robert to talk alone.

Later on that day, a red motorcar arrives. The staff and family are lined up to greet it. Robert and Cora step forward to welcome Cora's mother, Martha, and Emilio. Alfred helps Martha out of the motorcar.

"Come war and peace, Downton still stands, and the Crawleys are still in it. Cora," Martha proclaimed.

Martha approached Cora to hug her as Emilio stepped out of the motorcar.

"Mother, how lovely to see you," Cora said as she hugged her mother.

"As long as it is. Robert, aren't you going to kiss me?" Martha asked her son-in-law. Cora steps back as Robert steps forward.

"With the greatest enthusiasm," Robert kisses his mother-in-law on the cheek. Robert looks at the red motorcar," Tell me, where does this come from?"

"I hired it in Liverpool," She replied, "Why?"

"Well, I thought it might be a gift from the U.S. government to help get Britain back on its feet," Robert said.

While Martha walks toward Mrs. Hughes and Mr. Carson to introduce them to her maid Reed, Emilio approaches Robert and Cora.

"Thank you for inviting me to attend your eldest daughter's wedding, Lord and Lady Grantham," Emilio greeted them, "I am honored."

"You're welcome, Mr. De Santis," Cora said, "We are so glad you made it. Eve told us that you are interested in politics is that correct?"

"Yes, it is, Lady Grantham," He replied, "Politics has been in both the blood of my mother's and father's families for generations."

Reed and Mrs. Hughes nod to each other, and Reed takes her place in the servant's line before Martha turns to her grandchildren and niece.

"Sybil, tell me all about the arrangements for the birth," Martha began before she lightly embraced and kissed Sybil, "We do these things so much better in the States."

Martha turns to Eve and lightly embraces her, "Oh, Eve, your darling Captain was nothing but a prince during the whole ride here. He was courteous, quite intelligent, and not bad-looking, either. If I'm not mistaken, I say that you have found your Prince Charming."

Martha turns to Edith, "Edith, still no one special?" Edith smiles with a sigh and a shrug, "Well, never mind. You must take a tip from the modern American girl."

"Ah, Mary. Dearest Mary," Martha greeted as she turned to her eldest granddaughter. She lightly embraces Mary to receive a kiss," Now. You tell me all of your wedding plans, and I'll see what I can do to improve them."

Mrs. Levinson walks into the house. The family all exchange looks, recovering from the whirlwind American mother-in-law. Cora and Robert enter the house, the others following in order of rank.

Later on, the family was gathered in the library. Eve and Emilio sat beside one another with Hera at their feet as Martha began questioning Matthew.

"Do explain again how exactly you are related to all of us, Mr. Crawley," Martha inquired.

"Matthew sighs with some amusement before answering, "Rather distantly, I'm afraid. My great, great grandfather was a younger son of the third earl."

"My. Hmm, I'm going to have to write that down so I can study it."

"Look at our page in Burke's. You'll find Matthew there," Robert instructed his mother-in-law.

"Good, because I would so like to understand why he gets to inherit my late husband's money," Martha voiced.

"I know, it's funny, isn't it?" Matthew chuckled nervously.

"Not everyone shares your sense of humor," She responded.

"But surely it doesn't matter now that they're getting married," Isobel reasoned, and Martha tips her head up in acknowledgment.

"In fact, we'd better turn him out, or it'll be bad luck for tomorrow," Mary interrupted.

"Quite right," Cora agreed.

Matthew looks at his watch and stands. The men stand as Cora and Mary exit with him.

"You must be the chauffeur I've heard so much about," Martha addressed Tom.

"I am, ma'am," He responded.

"Tom's a journalist now, Grandmamma," Sybil informed her.

"Oh, well, well. I've heard of those journeys on my side of the water. It's very pleasant to hear of them happening here," Martha complimented. Robert looks less than pleased, but Tom and Sybil smile. Martha then turns her attention to Eve and Emilio, "I've also heard so much about you, Mr. De Santis, but I do not believe that I have heard how you met my niece."

"It was during the war, that my arm had been shot, and I was sent to the field hospital where your niece was stationed. I returned a few times to be treated for other injuries that I received during the war before one had managed to send me home," Emilio replied.

"And how were you two reunited?" She questioned, "I heard Eve had gotten amnesia and did not remember a great deal of her life."

"Eve had told me where the hospital she worked at and I had planned to come over when my parents had allowed me when I was completely healed, I am their only child, but the Spanish Flu prevented me from coming over. So when the restrictions were lifted, I came over. When I arrived, Lord Grantham had told us what had happened to Eve and allowed me to see her after I had asked."

"At first, I didn't know who he was. We had a short conversation before he handed me a small pouch and left. I opened the pouch, and my cross necklace was in it. My memories returned, and I rushed out of the library to catch Emilio before he left Downton. We explained how we had met and why he had my necklace to everyone on Christmas," Eve finished the story.

"My, you two have quite an interesting story," Martha commented, "I wonder how it will end?"

Eve knew what Martha meant as she began blushing. She turns her gaze down toward the ground.

That evening in the dining room, Matthew and Isobel were not there since it was the night before the wedding. Eve was seated next to Emilio. They spent their entire time talking to one another until Martha asked Robert if he was the one who had sent Sybil and Tom the money.

"No, it wasn't me," Robert admitted to his Mother-in-law, "Someone sent Sybil and Tom the price for the tickets to come over."

"Does it matter who it was? It meant we could be at the wedding. Of course, I wish it had been you, Papa, but I don't mind. I thank them, whoever they are," Sybil said.

"Well, I'm very glad you're here, but it wasn't me either. I'm sad to say," Cora told her daughter.

"Well, I love a mystery. Who could it be?" Martha wondered.

"My guess is Cousin Isobel. She always likes to stick her oar in," Robert replied.

"I'm going to ask her," Sybil told him.

"For heaven's sake, it was me," Violet confessed. Robert looks up in shock, putting down his spoon. Even Mary is shocked out of her nervous state, and Tom looks up in surprise.

"You? But it wasn't your writing."

"No. Smithers did it. Like all ladies' maids, she lives for intrigue," Violet explained to Sybil.

"You wanted me to come here?" Tom asked.

"I wanted Sybil and her husband to be here for Mary's wedding, yes," Violet answered.

"Why keep that secret?" Sybil inquired.

"Silly, wasn't it?" Violet chuckled.

"I'm very touched. I'll admit it," Tom admitted.

"How democratic. Makes me think maybe I've been mistaken in you," Martha complimented.

"I am a woman of many parts. After all, Branson is a me-- I mean, Tom. Ha. You're a member of the family now. You'll find we Crawleys stick together," Violet explained.

"Not always," Mary moped.

"Mary, what is it?" Cora asked.

"Oh, nothing. It's just..." Mary can't hold it in. She leaves the table in tears. Tom, Emilio, and Robert stand, and Violet reaches her hand out to Mary's retreating figure.

"Oh, Mary, dear..." Violet said.

"It's nerves. Everyone cries at some point before their wedding," Cora excused Mary's behavior.

"I saw Mary and Matthew arguing before she ran up the stairs earlier today after tea," Edith informed everyone.

"But what was the quarrel about?" Martha inquired.

"I'm not sure. I know she accused him of not being on our side," Edith revealed.

"Oh, well, I hope she's wrong. That could be rather serious," Violet spoke.

"Of course, he's on our side," Robert told her, "It's ridiculous. I'll go and see him."

"No, I'll go," Tom announced. Robert looks at Tom in unpleasant surprise, "I'm his best man. I should be the one to go."

"What?"

"I know what it is to marry into this family. I'm not comparing myself to Mr. Crawley, but he is another kind of outsider," Tom reasoned.

"Well, I hardly--" Robert began.

"Well, why not? He's the one that will lose his job if the wedding's canceled." Martha defended.

Robert and Tom regard each other briefly, and then they leave the subject.

Everything was settled between Mary and Matthew the next morning, and the wedding was still happening that day. In Mary's bedroom, Cora, Eve, Sybil, and Edith stand aside while Anna finishes Mary's hair with a laurel tiara.

Cora: You'd ask, wouldn't you, if there was anything you wanted me to tell you. I mean, I'm sure you know," Cora asked.

"More than you did," Mary retorted, "And relax. There isn't anything I need to hear now."

"Because when two people love each other, you understand, everything..." She paused, "Is the most terrific fun."

Sybil and Eve laughed at what Cora told Mary.

"Careful, Mamma or you'll shock Anna," Mary quipped.

"I'm a married woman now, Milady," Anna replied.

"I think we should go," Edith spoke up.

"What about Anna? How are you going to get to the church?" Sybil asked.

"They're waiting for me in the wagonette. I'll see you there," Anna informed before she stepped back, and Mary turned around on her chair.

Sybil kneels in front of her, "I know mine was a wild runaway marriage, darling, and yours is the one everyone wanted, but what's so thrilling is that this is every bit as romantic."

"Thank you. For always being so sweet," Mary smiled. They kiss each other on the cheek and Sybil stands back.

"I am so happy for you, Mary," Eve told her cousin.

"Thank you, Eve. You always helped me when I needed it," She said.

Mary stands, and Edith faces her.

"Love and position in one handsome package. Who could ask for more?" Edith voiced.

Mary exhales and gives Cora a sidelong look as Edith leaves with Sybil and Eve for the church.

In the Great Hall, the family walks toward the front door, Edith and Sybil arm in arm.

"Right. See you in a minute," Robert said.

Sybil, Eve, and Edith smile at Robert as they follow Cora out. The four got into the motorcar and drove to the church for the wedding. Upon arriving, they stepped out of the motor and walked into the church. Eve quickly spots Emilio out as she feels terrible that he knows almost no one in attendance, and she walks over to him.

"Hello, Emilio," Eve greeted.

"Buonasera, Principessa," He returned before kissing her hand, "Would you honor me if you would sit with me?"

"The honor is mine," She replied. Eve and Emilio sat in the pew with Edith, Cora, and Sybil.

"Tom and Matthew had told me that the wedding was in danger of not happening last night, is that true?" Emilio asked Eve.

"Yes, but it is a lover's tiff, and all is well," She replied, "I'm glad that you were able to make it."

"As am I," Emilio smiled, "I wanted to let you know that I will return to England in a month, and I plan to bring my parents with me. I hope you would want to meet them so they can see the woman who stole my heart."

Eve looks down as she is taken aback by what Emilio just told her and wonders if she is ready to meet his parents. Emilio had met her family and knew almost everything, but she knew very little of his. Eve looked back up at Emilio and knew that she would have to take a leap of faith for the man she loved.

"I would be glad to meet your family," Eve responded, "It only seems fair since you have met mine."

"I am glad you think so," Emilio told her, "I will let my parents know when I return home."

Church bells chime, and the villagers wave flags and cheer as Lady Mary's carriage drives toward the church. They follow it to the gate and continue cheering as Robert and Mary step out. Matthew and Tom hear the crowd's cheers as they sit in the front pew. They look at each other and smile. The organ starts, and Tom leans over just as everyone stands. Tom and Matthew face the altar as Robert walks Mary down the aisle. Matthew peeks around his shoulder to see Mary smiling at him. He returns the smile. Robert leads Mary to the altar and steps back. Mary and Matthew stand side by side, looking forward at the archbishop.

Soon, the ceremony begins as the archbishop speaks, "Dearly beloved, we are gathered together here in the sight of God and in the face of this congregation to join together this man and this woman in holy matrimony, which is an honorable estate, instituted of God in the time of man's innocency, and is therefore not by any to be enterprised, nor taken in hand, unadvisedly, lightly, or wantonly, but reverently, discreetly, advisedly, soberly, and in the fear of God. If any man can show any just cause why they may not lawfully be joined together, let him speak or else hereafter forever hold his peace."

Συνέχεια Ανάγνωσης

Θα σας αρέσει επίσης

8.5K 131 12
In the grand halls of Downton Abbey, where tradition and aristocracy intertwine, there exists a young woman named Florence Crawley. She is the second...
6.7K 220 56
what happens when all the queens revive in the 21st century? will they find a home? will they find their kids? will henry come back? who knows "Peopl...
2K 23 17
This is the sequel to my other Downton fan fiction called, 'My Revolutionary Father.' But it can be read as a stand-alone. ...
15.5K 693 62
March 1912 - a baby is abandoned at the doors of Downton Abbey. Servant Thomas Barrow agrees to claim paternity for the foundling. The story mainly r...