Death Has a New Face

By 923rd_Ranger_Corps

After an incident during the Occupation of Umbara, in the Third year of the Clone Wars the 923rd had experien... More

Thank You Note
Prologue
V1: E1
V1: E2
V1: E3
V1: E4
V1: E5
V1: E6
V1: E7
V1: E8
V1: E9
V1: E10
V1: E11
V1: E12
V1: E13
V1: E14
V1: E15
V1: E16
V1: Epilogue
V2: E2
V2: E3
V2: E4
V2: E5
V2: E6
V2: E7
Status Check
Update: Been a little busy.

V2: E1

44 2 0
By 923rd_Ranger_Corps

(Day 104 - Era of Galactic Peace - Space above [Redacted Planet]) [Sergeant Rathtar POV]

(Streets of Vale) [Rathtar POV]

**A ship flies through the skies over one of the cities as the members of Raxar squad look out from the forest as they climb over the city wall and climb up a building**

Blitz: *down from the wall as he looks at what he can see of the city a rocket launcher on his back* What in blazes is this place?

Locks *motioning to the roof* Well, figure it out!

Blitz: *growling as he starts climbing up a roof via a ladder, grumbling to himself* "Figure it out Blitz, figure it out." How am I supposed to figure that out by climbing a ladder?! *getting on the roof as he crawls to the edge, the other six following him* Great... nice view. *looking over the edge he sees two individuals seemingly arguing with each other. A female with green hair, and a male with gray*

Lag: *kneeling down a bit behind Blitz. Her DLT-19x in hand as she looks through the scope at the two* They could be potential comrades.... maybe squad mates?

Rathtar: *his own DLT-19x on his back as he looks down* Something doesn't seem right.... *staring at the two as they walk down the streets* Those aren't civilians. *looking at him men* Flash, Mig, you two follow them. Locks, you and Lag stay back until one of us reports in. The rest of us, we're still on assignment to locate the 923rd traitors.

Flash/Mig: *nodding as they start running from rooftop to rooftop to stay in tow with the two mystery people*

Locks: *quietly groaning* What, is it my turn to babysit the lady o- *Lag whacks him over the head* ow!

Lag: Quit complaining and just be my spotter, okay? *grabbing some urban camouflage netting from a satchel that Bliz has and putting it over her as she goes prone. Enough space underneath for the two of them as Locks grabs his binoculars and slides under*

Rathtar: *looking to the remaining three of them* Alright, Blitz, Beast, the three of us still have to locate the enemy command center. *sliding down the ladder as they do the same as the three of them walk down the alley* Since the 923rd was originally designed to operate in a dark forest environment. The best chance we have of finding them is to get into the forest and search around.... so we'll need fast transport.

Beast: Sir... why not commonder one of the civilian aircraft? *motioning to an atlesian airship overhead* shouldn't be too hard.

Rathtar: Negative, we can't interfere just yet.... *as the three of them walk off into the shadows*

(Above the Streets of Vale) [Flash POV]

Mig: *jumping from rooftops as he stands across from what looks to be a shop as he watches them enter* I'm going in.

Flash: *motioning to his own armor* In this?

Mig: *sighing as he motions to a civilian wearing a black leather jacket, a clean white shirt under and a pair of black cargo pants with markings on them, seemingly white spray paint*

Flash: You can be serious ri- *looking to see Mig's gone. Looking back down to see the civilian's gone too* Oh for Emperor's sake. *watching Mig walk out in the Civilian's outfit. A little baggy as he walks towards the store. Still wearing his boots with his EC-17 attached. His hair a mess, and a bit of facial hair growing on his tanned skin*

(Inside the Shop) [Mig POV]

Mig: *as he enters he sees the male look at something that looks ancient, the female having asked the shop owner something as they're distracted he heads over to one of the shelves as he watches from behind it*

Shop Owner: Yes we do.

Female: *excitedly* That's great.

Mig: *looking at the books as he listens in, thinking as he does* Something doesn't seem right... Where's the datapads? These things look older than the republic.

Shop Owner: Would you... like a copy?

Female: No, just wondering. *the male closes another book.* Oh, oh! What about "Violet's Garden"? In paperback?

Male: He's got it. Hardback too. *Mercury produces a book.*

Emerald: Ooh, options are nice.

Mig: *pulling a book out as he looks at it. Thinking as he taps on it* Wait..... are these two just buncha punks?! Stealing money for..... whatever these are?

Male: Eh, no pictures. *Mig watches the male close the book. Gently opening the one he pulled and reading it, but having no clue what it's saying* Hey! Do you have any comics?

Shop Owner: Near the front.

Female: Oh, no, wait! What... about... "Third Crusade"?

Mig: *looking up as he looks to the female, pondering to himself as he looks at her* I mean.... I know the failure of the Dathaks crusades were all over the holonet.... but why make a book about it... unless it's a history book. *looking up at the signs* AND WHAT IN BLOODY BLAZES IS THIS WRITINGS?!? What happened to Auabesh?!

Shop Owner: *he hesitates, visibly unnerved.* Um... I... *the male and female are shown to be eyeing him carefully.* ...don't believe we carry that one.

Male: *the male slams another book shut.* Oh.

Female: What was this place called again?

Shop Owner: Tukson's Book Trade.

Female: And you're Tukson?

Tukson: That's right.

Female: So then I take it that you're the one that came up with the catchphrase?

Tukson: Yes.

Male: And, what was it again?

Tukson: "Tukson's Book Trade, home to every book under the sun."

Male: Except the Third Crusade.

Tukson: It's just a catchphrase.

Male: It's false advertising!

Mig: *going for his pistol as he listens* Maybe he ran out, maybe he doesn't have his shipment of it yet. You don't know.

Female: You shouldn't make a promise you can't keep, Tukson. *the Male activates a switch near the entrance causing a front window to darken.* I hear that you're planning on leaving. Moving all the way to Vacuo. *the male activates another switch and the window in the front door darkens.* Your brothers in the White Fang won't be happy to hear that. *the male activates the third and final switch, darkening the last window as he smiles creepily at Tukson.* And neither are we... You know who we are, don't you?

Mig: *his pistol now in hand, regretting now that he didn't keep his E-11 under the new jacket as he gets ready for a fight*

Tukson: Yes.

Female: And you know why we're here?

Tukson: Yes.

Female: So... are you going to fight back?

Tukson: Yes! *Tukson produces claws from his fingers.* Yaargh!

Mig: *eyes going wide as he's millimeters from pulling the trigger at all of them*

**Tukson leaps atop his counter in a threatening manner. The male and female back up slightly and he leaps at the female and slashes at her, but she dodges. He looks forward and is surprised at the male as he raises one leg for a kick with his shotgun-greaves.**

Mig: *firing three shots. All three nailing Tukson, two on the chest, one just above the eye before he bolts out the back* Blast it! I hit the mutant!

(Above the Streets of Vale) [Flash POV]

**Flash watches the male and female exit the store as the female stretches her arms overhead. The male is carrying something.**

Female: What's with that?

Male: I like the pictures.

Flash: *still on the roof as he watches the two leave a minute later he hears Mig coming up behind him as he looks to see him nearly fully armored as he puts on him helmet* How'd it go?

Mig: *growling* I missed the shot. Shot the mutant inside.

Flash: *getting up* I mean... that's one less. *patting him on the back* Come on, let's get back to following them.

(Day 891 - Clone Wars - Remnant, Beacon Mess Hall) [Calista POV]

**Calista and Team RWBY are sitting together as Blake looks over some notes. Yang then slides up next to her partner.**

Yang: Whatcha doing?

Blake: Nothing. *Blake closes her book.* Just going over notes from last semester.

Yang: *catches a grape in her mouth.* Lame.

Calista: I mean... how else do you learn from your past mistakes? *Blake raises an eyebrow as Yang looks confused as they both look at her. Red's disassembled DC-15A Blaster Rifle in front of her* Look, I've been in more fights than I can count... you learn from the battles won.. and the ones lost.

**Nora giggles as she continues to toss grapes at Yang with her spoon. Yang catches the fruit with ease, giving Nora the thumbs up while Red just facepalms as he sees Jaune sketching something in a notebook. Seemingly a design of an armor or something out of the corner of his visor. Ruby, giving an enormous heave, slams a binder onto the table, catching everyone off guard. On the cover of the binder is written "Vytal Festival Activities, Property of Weiss Schnee". This has been hastily crossed out with a red marker pen, and with the same pen, a new title, "Best Day Ever Activities", has been written underneath.**

Ruby: *clearing her throat, She gestures to everyone at the table.* Sisters... Twinzies! ... friends... Weiss.

Weiss: Hey!

Ruby: Four score and seven minutes ago, I had a dream.

Yang: This ought to be good. *She catches another berry in her mouth.*

Red: *looking confused in the way his helmet stares at her*

Calista: *rising an eyebrow as she puts her visor on her head* You've had this dream for eighty-seven minutes?

Ruby: YEAH! And it's a dream that one day, the four of us will come together, as a team, and have the most fun anyone has ever had... ever!

Weiss: Did you steal my binder?

Ruby: *Ruby makes "peace" signs with both hands.* I am not a crook.

Red: *looking to Calista*

Calista: What?

Red: Did you?

Calista: ...............................

Weiss: *glaring at Calista* You both drive me crazy.

Calista/Ruby: *a cheery smile on their faces* Thank you!

Weiss: *groaning as her head rolls around her neck behind face planting on the table with a soft thud*

Blake: What are you talking about?

Ruby: I'm talking about kicking off the semester with a bang! *She points her finger at Blake.*

Yang: I always kick my semesters off with a Yang! Eh? Guys? Am I right?

Red: ........ What?

**An apple is tossed at Yang and hits her in the face. She glares at Nora.**

Nora: Boooooooooooooooo!

Ruby: Look guys, it's been a good two weeks and between more exchange students arriving and the tournament at the end of the year, our second semester is going to be great! But, classes start back up tomorrow! Which is why I've taken the time to schedule a series of wonderful events for us today.

Weiss: I don't know whether to be proud or scared of what you have in store.

**Yang, still glaring, picks up an apple and tosses it across the room. Offscreen, an unfamiliar voice shouts "Hey!" and Nora can be heard giggling.**

Blake: I don't know. I think I might sit this one out.

Weiss: Sit out or not, I think that however we spend this last day, we should do it as a team!

Calista: *smiling brightly* Weapons repair day!

Weiss: Uuuuuuuuuummmm...... no.

Nora: I got it!

Calista: Oh come on!

Weiss: I for one think that... *Weiss is interrupted by a pie landing on her face.*

**Nora is shown to be the one who threw the pie, she sits down and points at Ren who has his head in his palm. Pyrrha's hand is over her mouth and Jaune simply sits staring wide-eyed, hands still holding the pencil. Red staring blankly at Nora as he moves his hand over his holster.**

(Outside) [Shade POV] [This scene with Aoric]

**Outside the cafeteria, Shade is talking with Aoric as they walk. Jenny looks excited as her tail wags while Vanessa follows shortly behind them. Looking in the windows Two people walking ahead of them as they talk to themselves.**

Aoric: Yeah? You really think I need this?

Shade: Honestly... yeah, I kinda do, boss. I mean.... Sis' kinda similar to you.... and, well, I kinda think you two could get along... help you out a little?

Aoric: *sighing as he looks down* I still don't like this.... I really don't need a counselor okay? I'm. Fine.

Shade: Boss.... you barely sleep, you're always negative about every outcome. You've scared Jenny a few times because you've lashed out at seemingly random, *Jenny droops her head a little as she strokes her tail to calm down* and on top of that, you insist you've been failing every class.

Aoric: *looking dead as he walks, then glancing at Shade before looking back down* Your point?

Jenny: Well...... I've... tried to help... but... I was from a happy family in Vale..... I don't know how to help.

Shade: And honestly.... I do believe that Sis could be helpful.... I stayed with my parents while she stayed in the White Fang... and since then.... she's been a bit...... disturbed by something.... something she hasn't told me about... and You keep telling us you're fine.... so if you really are... maybe you help her then?

Aoric: *sighing* Fine...... but it's just gonna be a waste of time.

Shade: Why's that? I mean.... something that ba-

Aoric: *growling as he clenches his fists* I SAID I'M FINE OKAY?! *taking a deep breath* It's going to be a waste of time BECAUSE I've got nothing to talk about, okay?! It's nothing important! Not something you, not Jenny, not Vanessa, not anyone! It's. Not. A. fuc- -cking. Problem. Okay?

Jenny: *her voice shaking a little as Vanessa follows closer. Classic walking past them with a datapad before stopping and looking at them* O- o- okay...

Aoric: WHAT?! *he does a complete 180 to look at them. His body seeming to fragment a little, his voice going deep and scratchy all of a sudden as his body glows a flaming orange* You think something's wrong with me?! You think I'm weak?! You think I'm a failure?! You think I'm a mistake?! You think I need to be repaired?! Like I'm a fucking Atlas Bot!? You think I CAN be fixed? Is that what this is all about!? That I NEED to be fixed!? *looking at his teammates* Is that why!?

**Jenny and Vanessa both slowly back off, not wanting to get him too agitated as Shade walks towards the door**

Classic: *sighing as he places a hand on Aoric's shoulder* Kid.... no one's perfect... and guess what? You are a human being, so am I, and so is the rest of your team... we all need to be fixed somehow... and guess what? That means that we sometimes require someone to keep us in check... a commander... a leader..... A team... a partner.... Someone has to be there.

Aoric: *nodding as he calms down* Yeah... yeah.... Okay.... Thanks...... I guess.....

**Shade keeps walking as he watches the two males enter the cafeteria where students are heard screaming.**

Beacon Student: Food fight!

**Many students are shown stampeding out the door past Sun and Neptune, the latter of whom is looking quite worried.**

Nora: Ahahahaha!

Shade: What the.... *Peeking inside to see Team JNPR are shown to be standing atop a tower of tables stacked in a ramshackle manner.* Oh...... oh no...... that's not good.

Nora: *in sing-song* I'm queen of the castle! I'm queen of the castle!

Red: *behind her as he aims his DC-15A rifle down the tower at Team RWBY* This is stupid.

Ruby: *Stomping her foot on a table and pointing at Team JNPR.* Justice will be swift! Justice will be painful! *Ruby crushes a carton of milk in her hand.* It will be delicious!

Calista: *drawing her WESTAR-35 Carbine* This is awesome.

Team RWBY: *Raising their fists simultaneously.* Yeah!

Nora: Off with their heads!

**Nora jumps down from the top of her tower, and the food fight begins.**

Ruby: Yang! Turkey!

**Yang rolls over to the turkeys and sticks her fists inside them, proceeding to block and punch the melons as they speed toward her. After some fighting, Nora knocks Weiss into a pillar. The impact knocks her out and Ruby holds her in her arms as the pillar collapses around them. Calista using the force to send the pillar's shards at JNPR.**

Ruby: *Cradling Weiss as the shards go crashing into and past the wall behind JNPR* Weiss, Weiss! Don't leave me! Nooo!

Red: *ducking down as he slides down* FRIENDLY FIRE! *firing his Rifle in Stun mode as he nails Weiss and Ruby* Blast it... that's not- *Calsita sending him back into the tables as they start to buckle* OOoooooooooowwwww......

**The fighting resumes, ending with JNPR slammed against a cracked wall painted with soda and food. Team JNPR slides off the wall, leaving only their outlines.**

Sun: I love these guys.

**The male with the blue hair is drenched with soda and is not pleased. The doors behind them open and Glynda enters the room growling. She proceeds to use telekinesis to re-organize the room. As Shade walks into the room. As he sighs while walking towards Blake**

Shade: *hands in his pockets as he looks at them* Really? A food fight?

Blake: *going blank as she sees Shade* I um..... Hi... again... Brother....

Shade: What are you? Twelve? Did Taurus de age you or something?

Glynda: Children, please. *adjusting her glasses.* Do not play with your food!

**Nora burps aloud as both Team JNPR and Team RWBY try and fail to compose themselves. A screaming Yang then crashes from the ceiling into one of the tables. Glynda grumbles. Ozpin approaches and places a hand on her shoulder.**

Ozpin: Let it go.

Glynda: *sighs* They're supposed to be the defenders of the world.

Ozpin: And they will be, but right now they're still children. *Team RWBY are shown laughing together.* So why not let them play the part? *Ozpin walks away from Glynda.* After all, it isn't a role they'll have forever.

(Elsewhere) [Mig POV]

Mig: *he and Flash having followed the male and female from the store into an old warehouse as he starts sending a live feed to Vale, speaking quietly, as to not get caught* Sir....... You seeing this?

Vale: *over comms* [Yes, stay out of sight until I say otherwise.]

Flash: Sure thing, boss.

**In the old warehouse, the White Fang are moving crates as the male and female from earlier enter.**

White Suit: Oh, look! She sent the kids again! This is turning out just like the divorce! *the male approaches the two from behind and wraps his arms around them in a group hug.*

Female: *shivering in disgust* Spare us the thought of you procreating.

**The Female and the Male pull away from the guy in the white suit.**

White Suit: That was a joke. And this... just might tell me where you two have been all day. *as he produces a piece of paper.*

Flash: *watching with interest as he says quietly* They could be useful....

Female: What!? Agh...

White Suit: I'm a professional, sweetheart. Pay attention, maybe you'll learn something. *Holding up the piece of paper to read it.* Why do you have this address?

Female: Wouldn't you like to know?

White Suit: Yeah, I would. Now where have you been all day?

Male: Cleaning up your problems. One of them, at least.

White Suit: I had that under control.

Male: Two packed bags and a ticket out of Vale said otherwise.

White Suit: Listen, you little punk. If it were up to me, then I would take you and your little street rat friend here and...

???: Do what, Roman?

**A female with a red dress appears on a platform near the scout. Turning to look at her as she steps onto an automated lift, riding it down to their level.**

Roman: *laughs nervously* I'd, uh... not kill them?

Female: *excitedly* Cinder!

Cinder: I thought I made it clear that you would eliminate the would-be runaway.

Roman: I was going to...

Female: He was going to escape to Vacuo! Mercury and I decided to take it upon ourselves to kill the rat.

Mercury: I think he was some sort of cat, actually.

Mig: *quietly* More like a mutant to eradicate.

Female: What? Like a puma?

Mercury: Yeah, there ya go.

Cinder: Quiet. Did I not specifically instruct you two to keep your hands clean while in Vale?

**As Cinder speaks, Roman points a finger at the pair while laughing in agreement.**

Female: I just thought...

**Roman uses his fingers to mime having a slit throat.**

Cinder: Don't think... obey.

Emerald: *apologetically* Yes ma'am. It won't happen again.

Mig: *thinking* Doubt it. My bet's that you'll do it a few more times before the end of the year.

Rathtar: *he and the other members of Raxar squad crawl up behind them* The General sent us your coordinates... said he's got an extra assignment for us. *holding up an imagecaster*

Cinder: *turning to Roman* And you. Why wasn't this job done sooner?

Roman: *As he speaks, he points to his right, then to his left, then behind him.* Uh..? Eh..? Eh..? EHHHHH! Sorry if I've been busy stealing every speck of Dust in the Kingdom!

Mercury: You're an inspiration to every punk with a gun and a ski mask. *Emerald laughs at the remark.*

Roman: Look around, kid. I've got this town running scared! Police camping out at every corner, Dust prices through the roof, and we're sitting pretty on an old warehouse with more Dust crystals, vials, and rounds than we know what to do with! Speaking of which, if you guys wouldn't mind filling me in on your grand master plan, it might actually make my next string of robberies go a little smoother! *He emphasizes the last word by clenching his fist.*

Cinder: *Cinder approaches Roman.* Oh, Roman. Have a little faith. *She places her hand on his face.* You'll know what you need when you need to know it. *Roman seems entranced, but then looks away with a grunt.* Besides, we're done with Dust. *She begins to walk away.*

Roman: O-okay, then what now?

Cinder: We're moving. Have the White Fang clear out this building. I'll send you details and coordinates tonight.

Roman: Coordinates?

Vale: *over comms* [Move in.]

Cinder: *Looking back at Roman.* We're proceeding to phase two.

Rathtar: *he and Lag pull their DLT-19xs* Move in.

Mig: *nodding as he, Lock, Flash, and Beast drop down from the container they were hiding on top of. Aiming the E-11s at the four of them as Blitz grabs his own E-11 while he has his Rocket Launcher on his back* Hands in the air! Now!

Roman: *eyes wide* What the-

Beast: *hitting Roman over the head hard with his shoulder before aiming back at the other three* Hands. In. The. Air.

Roman: *groaning as Beast plants his foot on Roman's head*

Cinder: *a confident smirk on her face* And... you are?

Rathtar: The messengers. *tossing down the Imagecaster as Vale's hologram appears* Regrettably.

Vale: *looking at the three of them as his back is turned to Roman* I'm here with a.... proposition. An... alliance for now.

Cinder: *easing up a little before looking smug as she walks closer to his hologram. Blitz having his finger hovering over the trigger as she does* You? An alliance with me? *motioning to herself* And what makes you think I'd do this?

Vale: *his hands behind his back* My name... is General Vale Veiss, and I have access to a Corps of 12,800 Stormtroopers, and the armor to accompany them. I have the power to make an entire planet bow to my will if I was asked to.... *offering her a holographic hand* I could make this operation successful without a hitch.... all I need... is one thing...

Cinder: *surprised, but also interested in what he wants as she puts a hand on her hip* And that would be?

Vale: What I want is Travis Vandors.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.9K 173 20
Remnants are what remains of something whole. That was the case of ARC Trooper Fives. A world that he knew would be shattered. When everything turns...
37.6K 349 18
Early in the Clone Wars, Anakin Skywalker, Obi-Wan Kenobi, Ahsoka Tano, and Clone Captain Rex were going to rendezvous with Jedi Master Mace Windu at...
6.4K 126 21
Two soldiers of Dagwood White 5 have been transported to the world of Remnant, after a battle.
131K 2K 39
The Grand Clone Army, Jaune, his friends and everyone else from Beacon and other places were teleported to a theatre where they are to watch their fu...