The Winter Soldier Successor

By Violinistjordan

*This story takes place in Captain America Civil War's timeline* *NON-CANON* When Cap and Bucky are searching... More

The Winter Soldier Program
After and So on
Flashbacks

The True Enemy

9 3 0
By Violinistjordan

A/N- Hello! Hope you all are doing well. I'm not sure if Wattpad loads the pictures in, so the picture up there is of Helmut Zemo. Also I wanted to clarify that I do write with profanity lol. Also I'm very sorry that I'm not always consistent with updating chapters at the moment. I'm trying my best for anybody who reads this.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Damp. The concrete floors were damp. Maybe water was tracked in from people, or maybe there was leakage in the ceilings. Every time someone took a step there would be a barely audible splash. Today was quiet. As someone would walk down the hall of this prison there weren't any splashes. Bucky was careful to listen if there were an small noises with the steps of his combat boots. None. He was standing with the King of Wakanda in a small, dark hallway in the prison he was sent to after his chase with Steve and T'challa. 

They were there at the prison to talk to Zemo. Both Bucky and the king wanted to make sure the girl they encountered wouldn't be a threat. The men had to get patted down for any weapons or drugs, and walk through a metal detector. Bucky didn't have his arm in because Shuri wanted to improve it before he wore the artificial limb again. German officers let the two men through and guided them into a small room with a desk and three single chairs. T'challa sat down but Bucky kept standing pacing around the enclosed area. When Bucky had just calmed down a few notches a loud buzzer filled the room. A German sentence was blasting through a large speaker in the wall. The men looked at each other in confusion not understanding any of what the voice on the speakers said.

Just as T'challa started speaking, a door opened with a chained up, almost malnourished prisoner being thrown in. Bucky immediately recognized the ill-flavored man as the one who successfully got Tony to try and kill him. He looked as if the guards just beat him all day. Zemo walked over to the separate chair and slouched down with his chains clinking against the metal of his chair. He looked incredibly tired, black circles puffed around his sleepy eyes, wrinkles were one of the most prominent feature on his dark face. Bucky sat down next to T'challa and parallel to the silent man. The three of them sat in stillness for about ten minutes before the king decided to speak up.

"Do you know why we're here?" he stares at Zemo with seriousness filling his entire face, "Answer me please." The prisoner lets out a tiny scoff and rolls his beat eyes over to Bucky.

"How's Mr. Stark?" Avoiding the question he pulls his lips up into an evil grin laughing at what he thinks is funny. Bucky eyes him down and answers him back. "Oh I think he's just fine. Now answer him." He commands in a stern voice. The man doesn't joke anymore and looks back over to T'challa.

"Is this about the girl? If it is, I don't know where she is. She doesn't tell anyone her location." As if Zemo read their minds, he starts on again, "Maybe you want to know more about her? Is she dangerous to you?" He closes his eyes with a prolonged blink. Bucky is the one to reply now,

"Yes. Tell us everything about her." The restrained man toys around with the thought for a minute before answering, "Why should I? You locked me in here, I don't have to tell you anything." T'challa pulls out his phone just as he did in his palace's office.

"I know you tried killing yourself just to see them again, but now since that's off the plate the only way of seeing them is your phone. You have the option, we are not forcing you to do anything. You can either tell us what we want to know and see your family, or don't and we'll leave." His eyes start to panic in his sockets. Zemo finally gives them a nod and reaches his hand out for the phone. T'challa gives him the device but tells him he can only look at the phone after they get their information. Zemo starts telling them almost every detail he's ever learned about her.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Her name is Odessa Volkov. She was admitted into the Winter Soldier Program back in 1984 when she was seventeen years old," He pauses in between every sentence he tells them, "Her father, Dimitri Volkov was a main scientist in the second trial of the program. Of course Dimitri was always an asshole. He had men after him and his wife, trying to kill him for his research." He breathes in deep and continues his story, "He was always careful to hide her in a safe place, although he didn't hide her well enough one day and she was shot up." He stretches his arms out in front of him and pulls back after a minute and continued to prattle on.

"During this time, nobody had been able to perfect the serum for the program. So Dimitri decided it was an idle experiment. When he announced he was resigning from the program and keeping his research, his rivals came after his wife." Bucky lowers his head and squirms in his chair a bit before making his eyes focus on a dark spot below him. Zemo continues but more feeble, making his voice crack.

"They came to his home finding a perplexed woman. She was the only one they were looking for so they shot her up and left in a hurry. Since Dimitri was a discreet person about his life nobody knew about his five year old daughter that hid under the stairs. He came home a couple hours after the attack and found his wife dead and daughter petrified." He sucks in his cheek and added that, "Dimitri's wife took care of Odessa so now that she was gone he didn't know what to do with her. He was in shock because the love of his life was dead; bleeding out onto the carpet from her multiple bullet wounds. Although Dimitri hated most things, he loved his wife so much. So much that he hung himself and left his child to fend for herself." He stops talking and looks over to T'challa asking if he can inspect the phone.

"We want to know everything up until now. Then we will let you listen, so go on." The king gestures for him to continue. Zemo lets out a frustrated sigh and starts from where he left off, "Almost a week later some of his old coworkers came to check on him. Of course they were left with the sight of a shot up decaying woman, a man hanging from the pipes of his ceiling, and a small girl who was starving and on the verge of dying. Nobody wanted to discontinue the project so they stole his work and took the girl. One of the men said that it she was covered in bruises and cuts; probably abused from Dimitri."

"They gave her shelter, food, and training for years. She started training as an assassin from the age of nine. The men who trained her threated that they would take her away and let her die if she didn't comply with the training. Since she was so young and eager to learn, she became one of the best assassins in Russia; Maybe even the world. When she turned sixteen the men who worked on the Winter Soldier program finally figured out the serum. They suggested to try it on Volkov. Many people disagreed because they wouldn't be able to find another soldier like her. Although she was willing to do it because she wouldn't care if she died. By seventeen she was ready to undergo the process. She was injected and put under watch for three months. When she took the serum she died, at least everybody thought that. They still kept her body because it didn't show any signs of decay." He took a deep breath after finishing his sentence and adjusted himself in the metal chair.

"When she woke up, she was a soldier of death. The power running through her veins was almost too compatible with her cells. She was the most strongest person in the program. Only one superior had control over her, nobody knew why though. He gave her orders to kill anyone he wanted her to. Volkov was the most notorious assassin in Russia, if somebody tried to arrest her she would kill them. Everybody knew to look the other way if they saw her. One day she was given instructions to train the young women in the Black Widow Program. She trained them as we did her, and she left after six years of teaching there."

"I met her when I took over most of the research. I didn't have much control over her, but I told her my plan with you, Mr. Rogers, and Stark." He focuses his view on Bucky, "Her superior had recently died so she was left on her own. She told me her own plan to kill the men who were still alive that made her go through training. Since I was the only one who knew where those men were, we made a pact that she would protect me and I would give her the locations she needed." Bucky leans back in his chair while running his hand over his chin. "I don't know where she is. After you arrested me, she left without any trace. All I know is that she tends to hover around Russia doing her own research to find the men she'll kill. Just so you know, if you get in her way at all, she will kill you with no hesitation." 

T'challa knows this is the only other information Zemo has so he allows him to listen to the voicemail on the phone. The two visitors get up and leave through the metal door they came in. They walk in silence out of the prison and make their way into the jet that they had arrived in. Bucky starts to strap himself into a seat, as does T'challa. Almost halfway through their flight back to Wakanda the king breaks the silence, "I think we should look for her, she's a danger to society." Bucky intervenes, "Did you not hear him say that she'll kill us?" The king laughs and relaxes into his seat, "She can't kill us if we have what she wants."

Bucky sits dumbfounded staring back at T'challa. They make their way back to Wakanda without another word. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

A/N: Hey, I hoped you liked it. It would be great if you voted for it :)))) Also next chapter we will get to learn about Odessa more. Hehe, Have a good day. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

71.8K 1.6K 31
!Uploads daily! Max starts his first year at college. Everything goes well for him and his friends PJ and Bobby until he meets Bradley Uppercrust the...
1.3M 57.9K 104
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
72.1K 3.2K 19
Grosvenor Square, 1813 Dearest reader, the time has come to place our bets for the upcoming social season. Consider the household of the Baron Feathe...
155K 5.6K 42
❝ if I knew that i'd end up with you then I would've been pretended we were together. ❞ She stares at me, all the air in my lungs stuck in my throat...