Midnight Walk (Sonic X Reader)

Gosh, where to start...

The world was lost, having finally caved to Eggman and his devilish robots. They had finally taken over and were ruling the planet as the Robotropolis the mad Doctor had always dreamed of. Many people had fallen to the evil villain, having been captured and turned into robots to work as his slaves. He was slowly building an army, and those that were smart, were hiding.

(Y/N), a (f/c) (a/t) was one of those smart people. She, having been close friends with Sonic, was one of the first that got wind that Eggman had won. Sonic had come to her house first and insisted that she take off and hide while he tried to help others escape. Once he got as many out as he could, he would join her.

It had been months since it had all happened, and though Sonic was able to save a lot of people, others were still lost, and he blamed himself for it. (Y/N) would do her best to try to cheer him up, but the hedgehog had become sombre and silent.

She tried for months to get him to feel better, but she had run out of things to say, and after a while she stopped trying all together. The hedgehog had thanked her for trying at the time, but it had never felt sincere.

The two stayed in hiding together, unsure if their other friends got out in time or not. They could only hope everyone else made it out okay, though the (a/t) didn't doubt it. Their friends were very capable of a lot of things, but even still, Sonic had his own doubts. If he could lose to Eggman, his friends could just as easily.

It was rather depressing for the two, and not much happened in their time of hiding. Sonic moped around, sometimes ate whatever (Y/N) could bring him, but otherwise became unresponsive and closed off. The loss was taking it's toll on him, and the (a/t) wasn't sure what to do to pull him out of it. As mentioned before, she had tried but it didn't get anywhere. It was the one time where she actually felt useless.

(Y/N) had just returned to their hiding place, a small underground room that was only accessible through a tree trunk. She had bought some food from a hunt, a small rabbit. Not many animals remained in these parts, as the robot army slowly moved over the world, turning the earth into mechanics.

Even still she had done her best, and the (a/t) got to preparing the rabbit; skinning it, deboning sections, cooking the meat. Sonic was curled up in a corner of the hidden room, eyes a dull green as he stared into the ground, unmoving. (Y/N) glanced at him, a frown on her muzzle. While the meat cooked, she went fishing through the make-shift shelves until she came across some bread. Something she had scavenged a few weeks ago. The discolouration was unsettling, but the food made do for the time being.

She pulled out a slice of bread and waited for the meat to cook, before spreading it down the middle of the bread and folding it over. Happy with the otherwise disgusting bootleg hotdog, she walked over to Sonic and held it out to him,

"It's no chilidog." She said, hoping he would at least react to her voice, "But I did my best."

The hedgehog lifted his head slowly, looking at the rather sad food, before taking it and munching on it quietly. (Y/N) watched him, before letting out a sigh and walking away. She had never seen him so down before, but then again, he had never lost to Eggman before. He'd never caused so much loss to the people of Mobius. The (a/t)'s ears lowered, feeling like she should try and say something, anything, to try and lift her spirits.

"Hey... It's alright you know." She said, rubbing her arm, "Sure you lost to Eggman once, but the planet has been in this shape before, right? He used to rule years ago when we were younger. You overthrew him then and were able to save the world. You can do it again."

He kept chewing, "I had a team then..."

(Y/N)'s ears perked, he finally spoke, "Yeah? And you have a team now. We just need to find everyone, group us all up together again, we'll be unstoppable just like before."