present|4- like stories in fairy tales

As the Keeper of the fourth boundary, Tristan was known as a very inflexible man. Like a well oiled machine just living his undead life by duty. A man bound to the land of the living by many regrets.

"Oh, so you were a Duke?" Marie, his apprentice asked excitedly. The Keeper had always been a tactiturn and pragmatic man.

The Keeper does not usually argue with his right hand man, but when they returned from the maintenance in the fourth gate— they had already been spitting acid at each other. Although Duke Clement Allarie works well with the Keeper, that was the first time she ever noticed them in a heated argument.

Duke Clement was a hero, and part of the Lumina Circle, the families that the current king Marco di Carita trusted, and who helped him win the revolution. To a farmer's daughter, heading stories of nobility was inspiring.

He regarded her with his same cold eyes. "I was."

"Oh that's so cool! Do you live in castles too?"

A small nod.

Marie had been the daughter of two proud farmers. So she had always liked stories of romance and grandeur.

"Keeper, keeper, did you marry a princess too? Just like stories in fairy tales?"

He stilled, before settling her with a look that silently says stop asking.

"I... I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked."