[ s e v e n t e e n ]

"i love you too

"i love you too."

I stared at the ceiling, feeling completely empty. He was really gone. And it was Dreams fault.

I was amazed at the fact that no one could see it. Dream was manipulating everyone in the server to like him, and it was working. He was winning the battle. Tubbo probably still thought that Dream was his friend.

I couldn't sleep. I felt clouded by guilt and sadness. Dream had practically already won. He had everyone thinking he was the good guy, even Techno! Didn't Techno realize that Dream wasn't against government, he wanted power as much as the next person!

Then I finally realized. I was being stupid the whole time. I was on everyones side. Truly. I had L'Manberg, Techno, everyone but Dream. Maybe all he needed was a taste of his own medicine.

I walked through the dark field, deja vu washing over me from the night I stole the compass. The moon was my only source of light until I finally saw the torches burning on the land of the Dream SMP.

I walked to Dreams house, where a lantern was still flickering inside. I guess he couldn't sleep either, perfect.

I knocked on the door, only waiting a moment or two before I creaked open.

"What do you want, Sage?" He asked, acting tough when I really knew he wasn't.

Time to lie.

"I just came to say that I-I'm sorry." I lied. I wasn't sorry for anything. "And that I... love you too." I cringed on the inside as I uttered the words. I did love him, that part wasn't a lie, but saying it knowing that I just couldn't love him hurt. "And I'm willing to help you. To be on your side."

He raised his eyebrows in surprise. I noticed that he had left his mask on the table behind him. He looked happy for a moment before his face hardened again.

"Good." He said with a nod. "We can talk about it tomorrow. Meet me in the field at four." I immediately knew what field he was talking about and nodded.

"See you then."

I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding as I started walking back down the path. The hardest part now would be betraying him.

Before going home I headed to L'Manberg, knocking on Tubbos door quite aggressively. About a minute later a sleepy looking Tubbo opened the door, rubbing his eyes.

"Sage? What are you-"

"Listen, I'm sorry I woke you up, but I did it." I said. He looked at me in confusion.

"Did what exactly?" He asked.

"I got his trust. Dream."

Tubbo looked slightly more awake as I said it.

"Well that's great!" He said. "Now can I go back to sleep?"

I laughed a little. "Yeah, of course. Night, Tubbo."

"Night."

[•••]

I stood in the field, the warm sun beating down on my face. Dream wasn't here yet and it was four o'clock.

"Afternoon." He said from behind me. I turned around.

"Hey." I said.

"So, what gives?" He asked.

"What do you mean?"

"What made you change your mind? Are you like, a spy or something?" He asked. I bit my lip, trying to come up with a lie.

"I just realized that... I dunno I guess I just... remembered the old times? Realized that you probably care more then anyone else." As I said it, I realized that that might be true.

Dream nodded approvingly. "Alright. I can trust you." He said simply. "Wanna do something like we used to? Y'know, like old times?" He suggested.

"Yeah." I nodded. "I would like that."

We spent a few hours running around the field, looking up at the blue sky, everything felt normal again. I felt happy. But at the same time everything felt fake. I was fake. And it broke my heart.

"Today was fun." Dream said as we stared up at the stars. "I missed this."

"Yeah, me too." I said. "It felt like so long ago."

"Yeah." Dream said, sitting up. I sat up as well, staring across the field as the breeze ruffled the grass. I turned to look at Dream who was looking at me. Time seemed to stop.

"So is it true, what you said?" He asked.

"And that is..."

"That you love me?"

My mind kind of went blank. It was true, I did love him, but at the same time there was no way I could actually love him. It's betrayal to everyone.

"Of course." I smiled. "Why would I lie about that?"

He returned the smile, cupping my face with his hands.

"Can I?" He asked. I knew what he was referring to. I nodded. And just like that, he kissed me. It felt like fireworks popping all around us.

We both pulled away for a breath.

"Was- was that okay?" He laughed a little.

"Could've been better." I said sarcastically. "I... better head home." I said. Dream nodded in understanding.

"Yeah, o-of course." He said, still seeming flustered by the kiss. "Do you want me to walk you?" He asked.

"It's alright. I'll see you around, Dream." I said before walking away. The tears stained my cheeks before I could even make it off the field.

a/n- ugh my heart hurts for sage even tho i created her :(