68. love in Portofino

love in Portofino- Dalida

^how I imagine the Italy house to look like. also pls lmk if you think the books like getting off track or stuff like that :)

Fiona-

god, I forgot how good that Italian air smelled. I haven't been here in so long- too long.

we finally got off the plane, we got first class so a win. we left the u.k. at 4 in the morning. I was so tired I slept most of the plane ride.

when we landed I text James that we landed and he told me that we're not going to a hotel but instead to our old house. the Italian house that I let Alex live in.

"oh God," I say under my breath as we're waiting for the car that James organized to takes us around.

"what?" harry said beside me while I was looking down at the phone. I groaned as I showed him and he burst out laughing "now you have to see her"

"Not funny," I said with a straight face while Louis was looking around not even paying attention "the whole purpose of her leaving was so we won't see each other anymore"

"you can't avoid each other forever. eventually, you guys would have to see each other again. it was inevitable." he said as soon as the car came with a paper in the front that read 'monez, styles, Tomlinson'

"yes we could have but not now...what do I even say that's awkward 'hey uh were here to stab my father in the back and we need a place to stay' that's weird," I say whining as soon as we get into the car and Louis gets in the front. I tell the driver the address before he starts driving there.

"well it is your house so," Harry said and I shrug.

"Yeah, but isn't that kinda rude. I let her stay there and then I come back and take it? I'd be too shy to do that"

"then I'll do it for you. it won't affect me" he said nonchalantly.

"yeah I know it won't," I said joking before he smiled and put his hand on my thigh whilst he looked outside admiring the road and busy cars.

after about an hour of driving possibly passing Portofino. I don't even know where that is, I've only been there once or twice but that's as when I was like five so.

we finally got there to the beige house that I remember so beautifully. the stones and the trees. the oak brown door and the big handle. the light blue sometimes turquoise shutters and the different color stones engraved on the exterior of the whole house. the trees and flowers that my mum would always plant.

I look under one of the woman statues that we have in the entrance. I get the key that was sitting there on the pillar and open the creaking door to fresh air. it didn't smell enclosed or bad it smelled like fresh Italian air.

I walked in with some hope but also no hope that Alex was here. I would have to see her and it wouldn't be because I wanted to. it just happened.

there was no sign of her, I knew she had been in here but she wasn't here now.  I guess I was relieved. maybe she's just out, she'll be back.

everywhere you go, that country has a specific smell. Italy has a specific smell and so does u.k. my clothes here smell like Italy and my clothes over there smell like u.k. soon enough I'll have a variation of Italian, french, new York, and chav smell on half my clothes.

"you used to live here?" Louis asked in amazement as he looked up at the high ceilings and antique decorations that my mum loved to collect.

"Yup," I said as I put my luggage in the foyer and walked to the couch. I should be more excited to see the old house that I loved but after everything that happened, especially with my dad. this isn't the house I loved anymore it's my dad's house that's heavily decorated with my mum's taste.