Chapter 36: Hustled

Turns out, Nick was right.  There was much to do. 

It was like the first day of school all over again.  In other words, it felt like awaiting a mental execution.  

All the staff was animals instead of humans.  Many were hard to take seriously because a human typically taught animals tricks and not the other way around.  That meant I couldn't say that the dog ate my homework.  I don't even think they knew what a dog was.

The rest of the day involved cleaning up the arena, performing basic workout drills, and getting assigned stacks upon stacks of hardcover ZPD textbooks. 

Most officers needed a backpack to transport the textbooks but I barely managed to fit them between my arms.  But why so many?  I didn't think there was much to becoming a cop but the animals here seemed to treat it like earning a college degree.

While we were walking, I carefully browsed through the printed pages of one particular textbook at the top of the stack.  It had the same thickness as a loaf of bread and was entitled Zootopia Arresting Procedures (ZAP).

I thought algorithms and data structures were complicated enough but this textbook had its own flavor of complexity.  For starters, it described over a thousand ways to confront different species across Zootopia.   It wasn't as simple as arresting humans like my world.  Rather, it described how to deal with all the animal civilians from a tiny mouse to a towering giraffe.

Thus, every species had to be confronted in a unique, special way.  A method used for a rhino would not work on a squirrel and vice versa.  In fact, there were disclaimers for arresting a species the 'incorrect way'.  For example, using the proper taser voltage or firing a tranquilizer dart at the safe spot were all things to consider.   

I figured a mousetrap would take care of all the smallest mammals but Judy and Nick didn't appreciate the joke.

No matter, this was going to be much harder than I thought.  I knew very well how to effectively take down humans.  But taking down animals - without hurting and/or offending them - would prove to be challenging.

To avoid unnecessary stress, I closed the textbook for now and kept walking.  I shouldn't have peaked at it.  There would be more on that later.  For now, it was time to start thinking more like a zookeeper and less like a soldier.

Meanwhile, Judy and Nick were kind enough to give me a grand tour of the Zootopia Police Academy.  Truly, this place was indeed massive.  More than 1,700 acres and counting due to future project plans.  For over a century, this place has been known to house and train the very first animal officers ever since The Great Migration took place around the watering hole known as present-day Zootopia.

Judy was really into the rich history whereas her partner Nick was mostly just here for the job.  Honestly, that's how I also felt.  While a little history never hurts, my mind was more occupied with the assigned quizzes we're supposed to take tomorrow assigned by Major Friedkin herself.  Yes, she already assigned homework on my first day here.

Feeling somewhat intimidated by the overall atmosphere, I wished to retreat to the dorms where I could rest and study for the night.  My sore forearm continued to throb but I kept that a secret from the two furry officers.   I already had enough attention for the day and just wanted to stay hidden until tomorrow.

The cadets and officers were going to have a casual game of night soccer to finish off the evening but I declined the offer.   The rabbit and fox were understanding and escorted me to one of the dorms where I'd be staying.  Once we arrived at the wooden house, Judy gave me a copper key.

But instead of entering, I set the books down and sat on the cement steps.  The two officers joined me.  As I took a minute to stare off into the sunset horizon, I felt a small embrace.