T E N.

I could feel the sun's rays burning in my skin, the sound of the waves was like a lullaby. The water was hot and when it touched my bare feet, I felt being soothed by the tranquility of the waves. The air was thick, and the sand felt rough under my feet, but I didn't mind at all. My hair wasn't soft anymore, it was clamped thanks to the sweat and water splashing on it. I glanced into the horizon, and there was a tiny boat, or that's how it seemed from this point of view. It was making it's way through the dark blue tremendous sheet. It somehow reminded me of Matt and his blue shirt, it made his skin look fair. Then Zach popped in my mind. I wondered what he was doing and if he was okay. I told him the truth and I know it's always to say it, but the look on his face that day made me regret ever speaking honesty. I could see his glassy eyes, looking into me, trying to figure out reasons. More reasons than the one I gave him.

I heard my mother calling me out for lunch, interrupting my Zach thoughts. I saw her sitting down with my father and little brother, on a white table with five seats with the exact shade of white. I made my way, trying to walk as fast as I could, since the burning sand was getting to my senses. "Ouch." I spoke under my breath only for myself. I got to the table and sat on the empty seat.

''Got fries?'' I took one from my Jamie's plate and he furrowed his eyebrows, mad at me for doing such a tragic thing like that. ''What?'' I shrugged, asking for answers.

''You took a fry!''

''Stop crying,'' I rolled my eyes. ''It's just a fry.''

''Okay, calm down.'' My mother spoke, calming the two of usI. I picked my phone from the table and I had a text from him. I grinned so wide, I thought it was impossible.

How's the beach? I'm stuck here at the woods. Lol :(

I bit my lower lip, glancing all over at the text I just read. He was really gentle, I mean, he could be having fun and yet, he decided to send a text to me. I thought it was a nice gesture.

It's so hot here, I hope you are having fun! :)

I sent it, no hesitation whatsoever. I put the cellphone back where it was, grinning, but with no teeth. I didn't want my family to see a big smile on my face for some guy I couldn't call my own, because there was no confirmation whatsoever that he wanted me back. I wanted to hear it from him, I wanted to see the way his lips move along to the pronunciation of the words. Because so far, all I've heard are rumors and sometimes rumors are right, and sometimes they are not and sure as hell, I don't want to take the risk in believing them. My heart has been battered too many times before, but this time it feels different, like it's worth it. Or I hope so.

''Who are you texting?'' My mother asked, curious.

''Just a friend.'' I lied. He was more than a friend. At least for me, he was.

● ● ●

''He likes you.'' Alex said through the phone, I tried to act chill about it, like not giving it any importance, since I didn't want to get my hopes up high. You see, what kills the situation is the perfect image we have in our heads of how things are supposed to be, and I didn't want this for this story in particular. I'm living each chapter every day as he goes doing little details that make me feel like something could happen. But then again, I am Lily and he's Matt and even though we feel similar things, we are so far from alike. He's like the sun and I'm like the moon.

''Stop talking non sense. It's technically impossible.'' I walked through the beach, I was the only person using a phone. I felt stupid, but I didn't end the call. The conversation was keeping me interested in wanting to keep talking to her. The sand was getting between my fingers, making me cringe.

''Your theories are stupid.'' She said, I could easily picture her rolling her eyes at me for believing the way I do.

''They are not stupid, they are the truth.'' I rolled my eyes and sat on the sand, watching the ocean waves and picking and dropping sand between my fingers.

''Listen, stop feeling like you're less than him,'' I cleared my throat. ''He's handsome and you're pretty. I can see you guys together.'' She stated, trying to make me feel better about myself and my crush for this guy.

''He's all I think about Alex, from when I go to sleep to the moment I open my eyes. It sucks, because I seriously have no right to feel this way,'' I shook my head. ''I mean, I can't. He ended things with his girl, and who knows, maybe he still likes her. I don't want to be a rebound.''

''Listen, there is no way in hell you are a rebound. Trust me.'' I took a deep breath as Alex finished her sentence. We remained silent for a while and the only sound I focused on was the one of kids laughing.

''Listen,'' I cleared my throat. ''I have to go, we'll talk later, okay?''

''Sure, have fun!'' She spoke and then I ended the call. My knees were tucked under my chin, as I looked balantly at the couple in front of me. They looked so happy, splashing water at each other. Then he pulled her in a hug and they stood like that for a couple minutes, then I was interrupted by my little brother crying because some other kid took away his ball. Kids. I hurried to where he was, trying to control the situation.

I was standing in front of the two of them, crossed arms against my chest. "What's wrong?" I went down to my knees, at his eye level. I wiped the tears on his cheek as he tried to stop crying. The other kid was right behind him, holding the ball.

"He stole my ball!" He screamed, pouting his lips. His finger pointed at the dark hair kid, I stood up and walked toward him.

"Hi, that's my little brother's ball. Could you give it back?"

"No, you can't give me orders because you not my mommy!" He said, pouting his lips too. His eyebrows were furrowed and I rolled my eyes, trying not to get desperate. How can you tell a kid you don't know to give you back the ball that belongs to your little brother, without sounding like a total bitch?

"I'll tell your mommy you are acting like a bad boy."

"I don't care!" He was holding the ball tighter, not wanting to let it go. Jamie was still crying and it was getting on my nerves.

"Fine," I walked away from him, then stopped. "Keep it." I walked toward Jamie, who was crying his eyes out thanks to this kid who was acting like a twat.

"But it's my ball!" Jamie said, crossing his arms together complaining about it. "I'll buy you another when we get home, deal?"

"Okay." He nodded and then I placed a kiss on his forehead. I grabbed his hand and we walked together toward my hotel room, as the sun was glowing on his face I noticed his tears were drying on his cheeks, leaving traces of them. I gave a wry smile, but he didn't notice. So we kept walking toward the room, in silent, with only the waves making us company. Jamie was absolutely everything to me and even if he gets on my nerves, everything I do is because of him. I always try to be the best version of myself for him, because I know that growing up he'll look out for girls like me and my mom to be with, so setting a good example is at the top of my list.