Dungeon Master

Will, Lucas, Mike, and Max sit silently around El as she searches for Billy. It's been nearly fifteen minutes, bloody tissues strewn about the carpet, yet no sign of him. Will wrings his hands together nervously.

"It doesn't usually take this long to find someone, right?" Lucas whispers.

"Maybe something happened to him," Will suggests.

Max shushes both of them. "Quiet. She'll find him."

After five more minutes and no word about Billy, Mike lets out a sigh. "This is pointless now. Obviously, he doesn't want to be found."

El takes off her blindfold, apologizing to Max. Mike and Lucas get to their feet and stretch.

"We could always go to the mall to see if the gate is there. Not close it yet, but just make sure it's where we're thinking it could be," Will says, standing up with Mike and Lucas.

Mike nods. "Plus, we'll be more prepared for the Russians when we do have to close it."

Max and El stand and start to follow the boys to the door, but El staggers, latching onto Max's arm for balance. "What is it?" Max asks, concern falling over her face as El steadies herself.

Mike's eyebrows knit together. He catches El's eye. "Are you okay?"

El wipes the blood off from under her nose. "I'm... I'm okay."

"Are you sure?"

She swallows, nodding, but Will catches her wince. Max notices as well. "Are you sure this is a good idea?" Max asks.

"We have to get to Dustin and the others," Will says, although he's starting to doubt himself.

Lucas sets his hand on Will's shoulder, motioning to El. "How's she supposed to knock out the Russian guards if she can barely walk?"

"I can walk," El assures them.

Will looks back to her. He doesn't know the limits of her powers, but he knows she doesn't look good now.

"It's not like the rest of us aren't exhausted anyway. We're no use to them if we can't think straight," Lucas insists.

Will looks to Mike, and they share an expression of reluctance. Leaving Dustin, Steve, Robin, and Erica in that Russian elevator isn't ideal, but he knows Lucas is right, at least partially. Hopper is gone, they're exhausted, and they know if they went to the mall now, they would surely be shot by a guard. Will keeps expecting El to pass out by the way she's swaying on her feet.

"Alright," Will agrees.

Mike nods reluctantly. "Yeah, okay. We'll get up as early as possible though. Here," he tosses Will and Lucas blankets and grabs some for himself. "We can take the floor. El and Max, you can take the couch."

Mike turns off the lights, and they all get situated in their spots. Lying between Mike and Lucas, Will stares up at the ceiling, his mind racing. He can't shake the guilt at leaving Dustin, Steve, Robin, and Erica in the elevator. An urge to run off and go to the mall himself comes over him, but he ignores it, knowing it's completely irrational. He could at least go to Cerebro and explain to Dustin why they haven't helped them yet, but the exhaustion that falls over him rules that out. He would most likely pass out the second he got to the field.

The steady breathing and occasional snore coming from his left tells him that Lucas is fast asleep, but to his right, he hears shuffling. He glances to see Mike staring right at him, nearly giving him a heart attack. Afraid to say anything, he looks back up at the ceiling, keeping his eyes glued there even though he can feel Mike's gaze directly on him. His heart pounds in his throat. He can feel his face slowly growing warmer, but he hopes Mike doesn't notice it in the dark. He flinches at the whisper inches from his ear. "I'm sorry."