Chapter 5: Ben and Rey

"Talk to me, what's troubling you?" Jyn asked.

Ben looked at her for a second, turned away and then he began to cry, Jyn rubbed him on the back.

"I don't know what to do," he said.

He looked up and wiped away his tears, "I just didn't think that I was going to have to go through with all of this."

"Is it because of Rey?" she asked.

"It's not only that, it's that fact that she's pregnant now and soon to be due, I can't be a father, I don't know if I'm ready or not, but it's all this pressure to protect her and the baby."

"Ben look at me."

He looked up at her.

"Don't take this the wrong way, but maybe your not afraid of losing Rey or the baby. Maybe your afraid to take care of them."

She was right and he knew it, he wasn't sure if he would be able to care for both of them, he wasn't sure if he would be able to protect them both from harm. He wasn't sure how he would do it. He wasn't sure if this is what he wanted.

"I think that you need to go to Rey and talk to her," then she slapped him in the back of the head.

"Ow!" he said. "What was that for?"

"Before you talk to her you need to apologize for what you did to her and then talk to her maybe she'll listen."

He thought about it and then stood up and nodded his head. Jyn got up and they headed back to the safe house.

When they got there, Jyn banged on the door, they waited a moment and the door unlocked and was unbolted. Ben and Jyn walked inside and the door was locked and bolted. Ben turned to face Ridley.

"Where is she?"

"She's in the back, but I don't think she wants to see anyone right now."

"Well I need to talk her and tell her I'm sorry," he said.

Ridley looked at Jyn and nodded, Ridley let him go.

Ben walked into the back and came up to Rey's room and knocked and was about to open the door when he heard her voice.

"Don't come in," she said quietly.

"Please," he said.

"No."

"I came to tell you something important about why I'm acting this way," he said. He listened for another 'Go away' but he didn't here anything and the door opened by itself.

"Come in then," she said.

He walked in and found her sitting on a chair, she looked depressed. He could see the tear streaks that were left on her face and her eyes still looked watery with tears. Her jacket was on the bed, and she pulled her hair down but left a little piece of it in a flat ponytail. She didn't look at him. He came towards her and bent down to look at her, she looked at his eyes and she saw regret while he saw sadness in hers.

"Why don't you want me to have the baby?" she said.

He looked at her and grabbed her hand and squeezed it, "Because I'm afraid."

She turned her head up more to look at him better, "Of what?"

"I'm afraid that I won't be able to take care of the two of you."

She straightened up.

"You've been afraid of almost everyone, including me, and your afraid of not being able to take care of a baby."

"I know that what I said took a wrong turn towards you, but I'm just scared."

She started to cry and she squeezed his hand. He felt ashamed of what had happened to her.

She stood up and he looked up at her. She took his hand and placed it on her stomach. He felt the baby's heartbeat, he could feel the tiny feet that were kicking the inside of Rey and he felt the baby place their hand on the stomach where his hand was. He smiled and started to shed a few tears. Rey looked down at him.

"Do you want this baby?" she asked.

He looked at her, "I do."

"Why?"

"I want to us to start a family, something that neither of us ever had, but I want this baby to give us what we wanted the most in life: to feel loved."

Rey closed her eyes and started to cry.

"Answer me this one question?"

"Okay."

"Why did you fall in love with me?"

He looked at her and she looked at him, he thought for a moment, then he got up and looked her straight in the eye.

"Because you've always been there for me. You knew what I was going through, you knew how to help me, but I refused to let you. You wanted to end the conflict inside of me and you did. Rey, I may be crazy right now, but I can promise you this: no matter how much things may seem to change, I'll always be there for you and the baby. I don't know if I'm ready to be a father or not, maybe I am, maybe I'm not but I'll try to be there for both of you."

Rey looked at him and continued to cry and then she wrapped her arms around him and hugged him, he hugged her back.

"Now that you've forgiven me, can you heal the bruise on my face please, it's killing me."

She laughed a little, she let go of him and placed her hand on his face. The bruise on his face had healed and he felt pretty good telling her how he felt which was something that was hard for him to do.

It was already night, Jyn and Ridley had already gone to bed and Rey and Ben were still awake.

"Where is the baby going to sleep?" Ben asked.

"With me on the bed," Rey said.

"Looks like I'm going to have some competition."

"Relax, they'll be sleeping in the middle and we'll sleep on either side."

He looked at her and stared off.

"Are you giving us a boy or a girl?" he asked.

She laughed, "I don't know yet, I want to wait to find out the gender once the baby gets here."

"Alright, alright."

Ben placed his hand on Rey's stomach to feel the baby, but this time he felt something else.

"He/she said they want you to talk to them."

"Wait, how did you know that?" she asked.

"They're talking to me through the force, I can feel their emotions and I can hear their thoughts."

"Well what're they saying," she said.

"They keep saying that they're happy and that they're excited to see you and me for the first time." He smiled.

Rey smiled and looked at her stomach, "Of course you're happy, how could you not be?"

Ben turned her towards him, he kissed her on her forehead.

"What else are they saying?" she asked.

He listened carefully and looked at her.

"They said that once they enter this world their first memory will be us and they'll always remember that."

She smiled and rested her head on his shoulder, he put his head on her head and closed his eyes.

All three of them fell asleep.