Chapter 2: We Need Each Other

It was super early when Ben woke up, the sun hadn't even showed and it was still a bit dark out. He stared at the ceiling and listened, only to hear Rey's breathing as she slept. He sat up slowly and looked at her, she was so beautiful when she was in peace. He wasn't able to sleep, he just felt that something was wrong or out of place, then he realized what the problem was: him.

He was out of place. He didn't belong here.

He knew that he would be a problem, now that he was living with Rey on the base and obviously no one trusted or forgave him and he didn't blame them. He wouldn't forgive himself either. After everything he had done to the entire galaxy, how could anyone forgive him. He was the grandson of Darth Vader, leader of the Knights of Ren, apprentice to Snoke, the Supreme Leader, the son of Han Solo and Leia Organa and the nephew of Luke Skywalker.

It all raced through his head. He killed innocents, slaughtered women and children, killed troops who were protecting their families, tortured his captives, he killed Snoke, his father and Ben. He believed that killing Han would bring an end to his conflict when it only made it worse, it became even more worse when he met her.

After abandoning all hope, his friends and family, he felt that there was no one to left to save him, until she came and found him. Even as Kylo Ren he could feel Ben Solo trying to break free, he could feel himself being pulled to the light, but it wasn't just Ben, it was also...Rey. Rey was always there for him, she never gave up on him, she only knew him for a few days and found out all about his dark secrets and truths and she believed that Ben Solo would return, but he ruined that.

By choosing to remain Kylo Ren after saving her life, she realized that Ben Solo was gone. He didn't want to think too much on all of it.

He got out of bed and put a black robe on and walked outside for some fresh air. The sun still hadn't come up and that was okay, he never really liked the sun, he was used to looking at the stars everyday. He sat on a cargo box and just looked up at the sky, the stars were slowly fading but he didn't mind.

"Ben?"

He was going to have to get used to hearing his birth name, it was a little weird. He turned around only to find Rey standing behind him. He smiled.

"Couldn't sleep?" she said.

"I rarely ever sleep," he said.

"Me too," she said. "What're you doing out here?"

"I just needed some fresh air," he said.

Rey walked over to him and sat down on the bench. She looked at him carefully.

"You seem stressed," she said. "Is everything all right?"

"It's just...everything feels so different now that I'm here," he said.

"Well what's changed?" she asked.

He looked up from his hands and thought about what or who was missing, but it only made him feel instant regret and sadness.

"Everyone that I had known my whole life is gone," he said. "Skywalker, Han and my mother."

"Ben-"

"After that when...when I killed him, I always thought that it should've been me," he said.

"Ben don't say that," she said. "That wasn't you, that was Kylo Ren. Remember that."

Even if that was Kylo Ren who killed Han, then why didn't Ben stop him from doing it? Why did he let him? But what could he have done? He remembered that night when Solo had asked him to come home, how he could help him free his pain but then when he handed him his saber he just remembered how his fathers face had turned to horror and disappointment.