Chapter One: The Decree

A/N: First off, thanks for taking a look at our (Mikala & Lyric) first co-authored work of fiction! Believe it or not, this has been all we’ve thought about since the beginning of February. It is told in four different perspectives, Rolin, Dakota, Alice, and Justin. I (Lyric) do the editing for grammatical errors & inconsistencies. If you catch anything, please message us, and I will do my best to fix it. We made a little cast video off to the side; it’s of the characters you will be reading about just in case you want a better mental image. Also, there is always a song on the side that I believe portrays the tone of the chapter. Enjoy! Feedback is always welcome!  

 Rolin's POV:

      I kicked a stone down a cobbled street, watching it skip and finally land. One might say I was avoiding going home. Was there really need to rush? Once I got there, it would be finalized; I would be leaving. I could already feel my mother’s worried gaze, and my father’s somber eyes. There was no fighting it; you can’t fight something that’s so much bigger than yourself, the government.

    The decree for all youth to attend The Union School had been issued just earlier. I knew it had only been a matter of time. Ever since The Union had formed in late 2014, my entire world had been on a one way track to disaster. The worst part of it was no one knew they had been deceived. Daniel Warring had come in with his hypnotic voice and believable blue eyes, and suddenly the world was at his feet. Americans, now Unionists, held on to his every word like he was God or something. I was still confused by the means of which he got America to change the government that they had clutched on to for so long. 

   It was 2018 now; I was a strong independent woman at the coming age of seventeen. Too young to be considered an adult where my opinions could be voiced, but too old to let any misdemeanors be bypassed. The Rebels had banded then. Teenagers who could do nothing in official government, but could secretly make things very difficult for any officials. A couple of adults were involved; not everyone one was fooled into Daniel Warring’s trickery. 

   Our symbol became a penny; the penny that represented everything our government once stood for. It was no normal penny, granted it looked like one. This penny had a special inscription on the rim, J'ai fait un rêve, I Have A Dream. A dream of peace, prosperity, and the government of past. I wore my penny across my neck on a chain my mother had given to me as a child. My parents suspected nothing.

     I supposed that was why this school was being forced on us now. The Union was trying to dispel any “rebellious activity”. They would try to enforce their ideals on my generation now. The youth of the once prestigious United States reduced to this monstrosity; it was a sickening thought.

     I began the packing process; it did not take long seeing as though I did not have much. I left the bag by the door running through a mental checklist. I couldn’t forget anything behind, because there would be no coming back. Everything was finished; there could be no more prolonging the moment for the goodbyes.

   Taking after my father, I was not much of an emotional person and did not like public displays of affection or hallmark type moments. I walked to the door prepared for my mother's blubbering. She wrapped me in her arms and held on with all her might. I leaned into her shoulder, savoring this moment, knowing there would never again come this opportunity. A teardrop fell from her eyes and hit my shoulder; I bit my lip holding back tears of my own. 

   I felt my father pat my back, and I saw a smile pulling at his lips. I left my mother's embrace and jumped into my father's arms. I buried my face into his chest and whispered goodbye. I was aware that the train would be coming soon, and I should probably leave, but I just could not convince myself to pull away. Finally, after what seemed like hours, I let go.