Chapter 10

Cassandra was bored.  She had kept to her rooms for the past two days and had run out of things to keep her preoccupied long ago. She was still very angry over what had happened the other day but hiding out in her room was becoming tiresome.

Sighing she paced around her room for the hundredth time. Just as she was about to go into her sitting room there was a knock at the door. Answering the door she saw that it was her maid Marissa. "Good evening, my lady. Lord Collins has requested that you join him In his sitting room for dinner tonught." She said after doing a curtsey.
"How dare him. Thinking that he can be barbaric towards me and then request my presence as if nothing happened. " she thought.

"Well you can tell Lord Collins that I do not wish to leave my rooms, so I will not be joining him."  She said in agitation.

Marissa began to fidget uncomfortably.  "Are you sure that is wise, my lady?" She asked.  Turning, Cassandra gave Marissa a scathing look.  "I'm sorry, my lady,  I spoke out of turn. I will go tell him." She said before quickly exiting the room.

Walking into her sitting room, Cassandra chose a book and went out onto the balcony to read.

Quickly growing tired of what she was reading she set her book down and took in the scenery around her. She hated to admit how beautiful Alexander's home and lands were. If she were to live her life in turmoil at least she had  nice scenery.  Laughing to herself at her morbid thoughts she began to think about her parents. She had yet to receive a letter back from them. She was beginning to miss them terribly.  She didnt just miss her parents though,  she missed her home. She missed simple things like her old room , visiting the stables, and secretly swimming in the lake on their property.  She wondered if she would be allowed to visit her parents, but knew better than to ask Alex.

Hearing her sitting room door open and several people enter she stood up from her chair and went to see what was going on. When she walked into her sitting room there were several servants bringing in trays of food and setting it on a table that they had put in the room.

"Excuse me, what on earth is going on?" She asked confused.

"Well since you refuse to leave you rooms for dinner I am bringing dinner to your rooms." Alexander said casually as he walked in.

She couldn't help but notice how handsome he looked dressed in a dark gray suit. His hair was neatly combed and he was sporting his usual scowl.

"What I should of told Marissa to tell you was that I didn't want to have dinner with you, whether it's in my rooms or not." She said.

"Well good thing I own this castle,  therefore I can eat wherever I want. Now sit down with me so we can eat before dinner gets cold."

Sighing to herself Cassandra complied and took a seat at the table, not in the mood to argue over it. She was hungry after all. Once they were both seated they were served their food and the servants left the room. "Why are they leaving? " Cassandra asked.

"Because I want privacy. I wish to talk to you." Alex replied.

"Well I don't wish to talk to you because every time I do I end up with a headache." Cassandra said.

Laughing, Alexander all but ignored her comment and went about eating his dinner.  Not knowing what else to do Cassandra started eating her meal too. After a few moments of silence Alexander said, "What happened the other day was unacceptable on both of our parts.  It shouldn't of happened the way it did and i take partial blame."

Raising her eyebrow she replied, "Is this your way of apologizing?"

"I think we both owe eachother an apology." He shrugged. 

"And why is that," she said getting angry, "I did nothing wrong.  I was merely practicing and you made a huge scene about it. It is you who is in the wrong Alexander. You were cruel."

'Well none of it would have happened if you had listened to me in the first place." He snapped back at her.

"Your not my master, I don't have to listen to anything you say. What I did was harmless. You need to apologize to me this instant or this meal is over." She knew that she was being unreasonable, but there was something about him that always had her on the defensive. 

Narrowing his eyes he gave her a glare that would scare any normal person, but she didn't back down. Sighing he pinched the bridge of his nose and said, "Fine, I apologize for my behavior."

Cassandra was shocked. She hadn't actually expected him to give in so easily.

"This is usually the part where you say apology accepted." He said.

"Oh, yes, well I accept your apology."  She said slowly.

"Good." Was his only reply before he began eating again. 

"Was that all that you wanted." she asked curiously.

"Well yes I suppose it was." He said.

"Well you didn't have to arrange a whole dinner to do that."

"I know, but I did. While I was I realized I didn't know what foods you like. What's your favorite thing to eat? What about your favorite dessert?" He asked.

Cassandra felt as if she was in an alternate universe. Never did she think that Alexander would care to ask her about herself. "I enjoy chicken and potatoes. My favorite dessert is strawberry tarts."

"Hmm, I'll have to remember that." Alex said. "And what about books, what do you enjoy the most?"

"I can't help but to wonder why you care, you never have before." She asked skeptically.

"You are my wife after all, I figure we mise well get to know eachother. Develop a friendship of sorts."  He said.

"I recall saying the same thing a while ago, you didn't seem interested then." She said.

"Well I may have been acting childishly. I have had time to think about my actions and I've come to realize I've gone about this marriage the wrong way. Neither of us wanted this, but we should make the best out of it. We do have a lifetime together after all."

Cassandra didn't know if she could believe him or not. He was acting the exact opposite of how he had the other day. Nobody can change that quickly. She wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt but something was holding her back. They still barely knew eachother so it was hard for her to trust him. She was tired of being angry over what had happened, but she had had a feeling that it would happen again if she did something that he didn't like.

"Ok, I guess you are right." She answered.

They spent the rest of dinner getting to know each other. Asking simply questions but nothing too personal.  Cassandra was reluctant to admit that she actually enjoyed herself.  She had learned that he enjoyed seafood,  and hated sweets. He thought most books were boring and would rather be outside. She had also learned that he had a lake on his property,  one that he had promised to show her the following day. At the end of the dinner he had even wished her a good night.

Laying in bed that night she thought of all that had transpired. She felt good that they had been able to have a civil conversation. But she still didn't trust him. At least not yet, and she knew it would be a long time before she did. She just hoped that nothing would happen that would send them back to square one.