24

Few hour flight and I am standing with my daughter and Brianna on a doorstep of my parents house

Few hour flight and I am standing with my daughter and Brianna on a doorstep of my parents house. I kindly asked guards not to inform them. Brianna rings the bell, and we patiently wait.

Soon we hear footsteps. And not even a second later we see a very shocked look on my dad's face. "Princess?" He asks as he embraces me and Serafina.

"Hey dad. Surprise." I chuckle. "Nia baby, come see this!" My dad yelles and mom comes running down the stairs.

"Aaaa." She screams out in joy. They quickly rush us in. "Evelyn darling what are you and my loveliest granddaughter doing here."

"We just wanted a little vacation." I smile but I know mom can see right through me. "And we missed all of you."

"Let's have a pack picnic tomorrow, everyone will be happy to know Evelyn is here." My dad suggests and before me or my mom can agree he is already making arrangements. Men.

"Brianna dear, do sit down and feel like at home." Mom warmly says to her, which makes her visibly relax. "I hope you dont mind baby, but James has to come to messure my office, since he will help me renovate." My mom just nods at him since she is too busy playing with Serafina.

I see they are having fun, so me and Brianna go unpack our bags. Brianna is in room next to mine.

After we are done I go downstairs and Brianna goes to kitchen to grab some snacks, I guess she still feels like she is working. I will have to tell her later, AGAIN, that she is just here for company and fun, not work.

Just then the bell rings and in walk James and Kennedy following my dad. They both seem surprised but beyond happy to see me.
Of course they gush over how beautiful Serafina is.

James's and Kennedy's story is very unusual. They both don't have mates, which happens rarely with werewolves. So they took each other as chosen mates.

James and dad go to do measurements in his office.
While Brianna, Kennedy, mom, Serafina and me chat about everything I have missed. Sera has fallen asleep in my arms by now, and we are just teasing Brianna with how Byron looks at her.

"Girls stop teasing me, he has a beloved out there or a mate. I couldn't take that away. Of course he is handsome and everything a girl could wish for. But vampires traditions are very strict. Unless his mate/beloved dies or rejects him, i cant become his, since I wasnt chosen."

Ugh! All this just reminds me of all stupid vampire traditions which made me and Gregori fight. Who in the hell even wrote this stupid laws? My bet is on some sadist old as time vampire, who thinks he knows everything.

I will find a way to change them, to make them more reasonable.

Some time later and dad and James walks in just as Brianna picks up a bowl of chips to go refill it. But as they eyes lock, that bowl slips out of Brianna's hands, just as James's lips slipped a word: mate.

Everyone and everything froze. Even Serafina didnt wake up from bowl crashing on the carpet.

First one to speak is Kennedy. "I will give you two some time to talk." She says and excuses herself. Mom, dad and I just silently leave the room, letting the two mates to talk.

Who knows what will happen now. Maybe they will agree on not doing anything. But once you meet your mate, the pull is strong, almost impossible to deny.

With that my mind drifts to Gregori and how much I miss him. How much we both miss him. I miss his russian accent, his blonde locks, and blue eyes. How he kissed me in the morning and cuddled me. The way he was looking at Serafina every time, it showed me how much he adores her. How loving our family is.

And maybe that I was too harsh. But now I have done what I have done, and i need to deal with consequences. I know he was out of line, but so was he.

And I definitely wasn't fair to him. I was the one who wasn't honest with him in the first place. And I know he made huge steps for me, for us. And of course he was stressed. Who wouldn't be? He has to capture his own father who tried to kill his wife and unborn child.

But my ego and insecurities wont let me apologize just yet. I need to know if he will fight for us. If he will come for us.

A knock on the door startles me and brings me back to reality. My little Serafina is awake but just cuddling with me. I say come in and Brianna soon walks in.

"Hey." I say. I know she doesn't have much friends so I hope that whatever is making her so tense she will be able to share with me. It's the worst if you bottle everything up.

"Hi. Can we talk your maj-Evelyn?" She shakingly says.

"Of course." I softly smile and patt a bed beside me. I stayed quite letting her start on her own, when she is ready.

"We rejected each other." She says after some time. I still remain quite, not wanting to disturb her bravery.

"It's for the best. He has life here with his chosen mate, they are happy with each other. I am happy for him. And I have life in Russia, in a castle, to help raise little princess. And maybe I will get a chance to love someone the way James loves Kennedy. They truly belong together. I am happy with how I live my life, and he is too. And that is all that matters."
Now she looks at me and I know its my turn to talk.

"I am proud of you. You are so kind and selfless. Its hard to wish someone happiness if you think you deserve that happiness. And yes they are meant for each other. Just as you and Byron, or you and someone else. Or nobody. But you are happy and I will do everything in my power to keep it that way."

She smiles with teary eyes. Even if you agree on rejection it still hurts. We chat for a little bit, before we all go to walk in the woods.