Protecting the Royal Idiot - Chapter 21

Chapter 21

I have to do this. I have to figure out a way to save him.

The last thing I wanted to do what sit here and start crying again. No. That won't happen. Because I don't think Ryan would really appreciate that, either.

I mentally thanked the assassin for taking the ropes off my wrists. It was the first time I ever felt gratitude for a stranger, let alone a bloodthirsty, killer type stranger. Although, for some stupid reason, my ankles were still tied together.

I looked down at my wrists. Some of the redness had gone away, and they only hurt when I touched them. I had gotten some serious rope burn from them, but it was starting to wear off. I was extremely happy about that, in spite of everything that was going on.

I tried getting closer to the door to my cell. I wasn't planning my escape yet; I was trying to see where Ryan was. It wasn't easy getting over to the door though, since my ankles were tied and all.

It was really difficult to try to get up, so I didn't. I tried dragging my knees while I pulled myself forwards with my hands. I winced, moving about a foot forward. I cursed at myself for wearing shorts.

It worked, but it hurt. Bad.

I decided on the most undignified way possible. I took a deep breath, forcing myself to sit back down. I put my hands at my sides and butt-scooted all the way to the door. Once I got there, I latched onto the cold, metal bars and squinted.

I could barely make out two figures in the interrogation room. One was just standing there, which I was guessing was Ryan. The other figure was screaming at Ryan, throwing his hands into the air. Then he threw a punch at Ryan, and I quickly looked away before impact. I felt some tears blur my vision, but I quickly blinked them back. No crying, I told myself.

I quickly moved back from the bars, more determined than ever. I turned my back to the door. I started tugging at the rope around my ankles. It was the first time I was glad my mom put me in Girl Scouts when I was little.

I jammed my thumb into the weak spot of a knot. There was a small gap, so I forced it open. The knot easily came undone, and soon, my ankles were free. I was able to get up and walk around.

I turned my head to look over my shoulder. An assassin was walking towards my cell... a very tall assassin. I bit my lip and quickly retied the rope around my ankles. Of course, I'd be able to undo them again. I'm not that stupid.

"Turn around!" the assassin yelled. He had a deep, booming voice. It reminded me of Mr. BTM, and I scowled. It was like I was back in training. I did what the assassin said and obediently turned around to face the door.

"I don't see the point in that," I said in a bored tone. The assassin glared at me. Then he held up a ring of keys and jingled them.

"You don't need a point; you just might be killed soon," he taunted. My breath caught, and I told myself that he was probably lying. Then again, it is his job to kill people. I guess my jaw was hanging or something, because he just laughed smugly and tossed his keys carelessly to the side. He made sure to show me his gun before leaving.

"Everyone here has one," he said over his shoulder, shooting me a look, "except you."

I bit my lip and ignored him, directing my attention to the ring of keys. It was on the ground; I could totally reach it from here. Could it be that he's really that careless? Or is this a trap? I felt myself get more paranoid by the second. I slid my arm through the metal bars and reached for the keys.

I hesitated before grabbing the keys. A myriad of thoughts ran through my mind. I bet it's a trap. But then again, he seems like someone who would do this. I mean, this could've been totally by accident. I felt my fingers outstretch further. I was so close...

"Hey!"

I head snapped up, and I quickly pulled my hand back. A woman assassin was walking towards my cell. She snatched the keys from the ground and grabbed my shirt through the prison bars. She pulled my to my feet. The rope I retied loosely around my ankles fell to the ground. I winced as the assassin banged me against the bars.

"Who the hell left these keys here?!" the assassin demanded. She tightened her grip on my shirt, threatening to give me a bloody nose or worse. I looked desperately over her shoulder, searching for the assassin that had dropped the keys. My eyes darted around the facility, searching for anyone even resembling the guy who had actually left the keys.

"Well?!" the assassin snapped, banging me against the metal bars again. I sucked in a breath through my teeth, trying not to scream. I was dropped on the ground--well, more like thrown. I winced as I felt something crack. I think it was my elbow.

Next thing I knew, I was being dragged out of my cell by my ankles. I felt some heavy metal chains wrap around them.

"Don't worry," the assassin said coldly. "You'll be reunited with your boyfriend soon," she spat.

There was a certain tone in her voice that was almost familiar. Her voice was high-pitched and nasally, and I could swear I've heard it somewhere before.

I was thrown--yet again--into a room. It was similar to the interrogation room, but bigger. And there was nothing inside it. Except Ryan, who was bloody and chained against the wall.

"Have fun," the assassin said bitterly, kicking me toward Ryan. Even though his face was swollen and bruised, I could see recognition and surprise flash across his face. He was staring at the assassin. My head snapped to look at the assassin.

"Darlene?" Ryan said incredulously.

<><><>

OOOOOHHHHH! WHAT A TWIST! ;D

And for those of you who don't remember, Darlene was Ryan's forced girlfriend. Just a memo.