seven

...
I sat on the bleachers with Devyn after school waiting on Cairo to get out of practice so we can go home. I drummed my fingers against my knee as Devyn talked about Cheer stuff.

"Now I know you don't wanna worry about it right now but honestly when we graduate we need a new captain and may I personally nominate one of the twins." She started while texting somebody on her phone. "I know Kiara is a little clumsy but I see real promise in my girl."

"Yea uh-huh me too." I said aimlessly not paying attention to anything she was actually saying.

She turned to look at me and studied my face for a second before saying, "Stop fidgeting, you're stressing me out." She said putting her hand on top of mine that was tapping my knee.

"Sorry." I said pulling my hand away. Only to start biting my nails.

"Stop." She said taking my hand away from my mouth. "What is wrong with you? Why are you so anxious?"

"Anxious? I'm not anxious.. I'm perfectly fine." I said.

"No you're not." She said, pivoting her whole body towards me. "What's going on with you? I didn't wanna say anything but you've been acting weird lately and Cairo told me you were acting distant the other morning and I was hoping you would talk to me when you're ready but you haven't so now I'm asking you... what. is. wrong."

She's right.

"You're right." I sighed. "It's just... you can't tell anybody what I'm about to tell you. Not even Cairo." I said finally facing her.

"When have I ever told anybody what you've told me?" She asked, cocking her head to the side.

I sighed. "That's true... anyways I-"

"Oh my god Alaïa I know what you're about to say." She interrupted.

I paused. "You do?"

"Yes, it's about Seven isn't it?"

"Girl what?" I shook my head. "Seven? Why would this be about Seven?"

"Don't act like you don't know. Everybody notices the sexual tension and I especially notice the longing stares y'all share all the time."

I gaped. "Devyn, what are you talking about?"

"What do you mean?" She asked innocently.

"Where in the hell did all of that just come from?"

"Oh... we're not talking about that?"

"Girl no, and me and Seven do not have sexual tension"

"Yes y'all do. Just admit you wanna ride it. It's ok, you can tell me."

I laughed. "Devyn shut up, girl this is more serious than boys." I said dying down.

"What can be more serious than boys?" She asked.

I took that as an opportunity to just rip the band-aid off and tell her. "Do you know why I avoid AJ all the time?"

"Because he and your mom argue a lot don't they?"

"No." I shook my head. "I mean they do but that's not the only reason I avoid him."

"The real reason is..." I continued, "It's because he's SIN." I rushed out. No need for sugar coating it.

"SIN? Where have I heard that name befo-" She paused and thought about it for a minute then her face changed like it just suddenly came to her. "That gang leader that's always on the news?"

"Yes, him."

She didn't say anything for a second and then she busted out laughing. "You're joking there is no way that stubby AJ is a notorious underground gang leader and probably the most wanted man in the state. I know that's not what you're telling me."