Extended Summary

Elena Smoak has been many different people

Elena Smoak has been many different people. The little girl who lost her father in a fire, a rebellious teenager watching the only mother figure in her life die from an illness that has no real cure, only treatments to try and counter it, the niece of a cop many people thought of as dirty, an Army Ranger with scars that would never fade, a patrol officer, and now, one of the best profilers within the FBI's Behavioural Analysis Unit.

After beginning a battle against cancer that she believed she'd lose, Elena returned home to Chicago and joined CPD's Intelligence Unit alongside, Jay Halstead and Greg 'Mouse Gerwitz, her best friends and the only people that truly understood her, in charge of the team was her uncle, Sergeant Hank Voight, a man that everyone had a different opinion of.

Elena found herself questioning her feelings for her best friend and partner, after a close call with death following an explosion, Elena admitted her feelings for Jay and discovered he felt the same way, it sparked a relationship between them that was stronger than anything else.

When Elena found out she had beaten the very thing holding her back from settling down and accepting an offer to foster a child she'd formed a strong bond with during a case, she couldn't be happier, especially after learning Jay would support her and nothing would change between them if she said yes to fostering.

But tragedy struck and Elena's heart began to break when Justin Voight, her cousin who she thought of as a brother more than anything, was shot and left to die in the trunk of her car because he tried to help a friend get out of a bad situation.

Not only did Elena find herself breaking from losing Justin, but she found her relationship with her uncle become strained when they clashed over how to deal with Justin's killer. Elena slowly stopped recognizing her uncle as he went down a dark path to get vengeance for his son's death, a path that could end up hurting the people he cared about.

After Elena found herself standing between her cousin's killer, Kevin Bingham, and Hank, who was pointing a gun at Bingham, ready to pull the trigger and end his life. She realized things between them would never be the same.

So how will Elena and Jay adapt to the changes in their home life and what will happen when people from both their pasts, return to Chicago and secrets buried long ago are revealed?