ᵒⁿᵉ

Aurora Sloan is the kind of person that always wanted to make a difference in people's lives. Even if it was just a smile at a stranger that was passing by her. She was hopeful and optimistic. She didn't believe that the world was just full of heartbreak and darkness. She expected the best from her future and that was exactly the reason she decided that her calling was to help others.

After finishing medical school, top of her class, she knew that she'd travel the world to help those who couldn't afford the medical care they deserved. She volunteered in a medical program in Latin America, Peru was her first destination. She signed for a yearly program but she somehow ended up living there for 4 years. She travelled in different cities and worked at many hospitals. She fell in love with the place, the beaches were something she wasn't used to after growing up in New York. But she mostly stayed because of the people. Satisfaction settled in her soul every time she was helping someone. They were thankful and she could actually feel it in her bones and she learnt to treasure every moment more and more.

She always missed her family though, mostly her brother, Mark Sloan. He was a famous plastic surgeon. He was one of the reasons she went in medical school. She always admired him. He was basically more than her brother, since their parents never truly cared for them. He raised her and he did a good job.

First year in Peru

"Hello little sister," Mark said with a smile on his face through the camera on his computer. It had been a few weeks since her arrival and it was the first time he actually talked to her. She was only sending him some emails informing him that she was alive.

"Hola" Aurora sang as the smile grew on her lips, her mood lighting up more when she saw his face. "I was going to speak Spanish to you, but I didn't feel like hearing your whining about how much you hate this language." Mark chuckled. "How are you? How is Derek? I haven't heard from him in a while." Derek Shepherd, neurosurgeon, was Mark's best friend. Aurora thought of him as her big brother, since they grew up together, his family was basically her family.

"Oh Derek." Mark let out a small cough and she quickly sensed that he was hiding something from her. "It's kind of a funny story..." He was trying to find a good excuse for what happened between them. "I slept with Addison." He admitted. Addison was Derek's wife, now probably ex-wife.

"What?" She screamed and even with the camera's crappy analysis he could see the anger in her face. "Gosh Mark, that's so messed up. Like I never said anything about you continuously sleeping with different women and treating them like a piece of meat, but Addison? Derek is your best friend. You better fix this Mark, seriously." She shook her head and turned away from the camera as the family, at the place she was staying at, called her for dinner. "You're so lucky that I have to go, because there are so many things I want to say."