Soup, Sandwhiches, and Souls

When you walk into the next room, a warm and pleasant smell greets you. It smells like a whole lot of different things, but the smells that attract you most are the heavenly scent of grilled cheese sandwiches, and surprisingly, tomato soup.

You weren't really the greatest fan of tomatoes (and especially not ketchup) but maybe this new body would appreciate it more? But first off, how the hell would you even eat anything without any digestive organs? Wouldn't everything just fall out of your skull and make a mess in your ribcage and pelvis?

You cringe at the thought. There wasn't any other way to find out, though...

There were many rectangular tables facing the front, with a large screen at the front that was blank. It was made from a thin and hard material, and it somehow floated midair. The others from your group slowly filed in, some with little glowing bracelets on their arms or holding bottles of pills like you. It seemed none of your batch were created perfectly... it makes you feel better in a bittersweet sort of way.

That must mean there's imperfections in everybody born here. At least you weren't defective.

A little to the side of the seating tables were ones with many bowls of soup laid out and sandwiches that were carefully cut into triangles. It seemed there was enough here to feed a small army (which made sense, seeing how many of you were born today.) You make a beeline over to the table with the tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches, taking two and making your way to a table. The others saw you and followed your example.

You hesitantly take a bite... you find your jaw opening, which is a strange sensation accompanied with a soft cracking sound, before you bite down. It's noticeably more flavorful than any human food ever was for you. A light tingling feeling appears as the piece of sandwich disappears on your mouth.

Wow. You keep eating, and a couple of monsters sit near you and begin conversing as other monsters enter from other doors. One was a rather soft looking dog monster with black fur covering the top half of his face like a mask, and a pair of glowing purple glasses that floated above his face. He looked rather excited, tail wagging rapidly. He said he wasn't able to see very well before he had gotten the checkup, but now he could see everything. He barked happily a few times, and that made you smile.

You tell him your name is sans. The dog monster looks confused, and you and some of the other monsters at the table explain what names are. He looks super excited, and you could hear his tail thumping against the chair.

"A name?! A name! A name sounds great! Can I have a name too?!" He says, excitedly after taking a bite of a ham and cheese sandwich. You laugh at his enthusiasm, and nod.

"do you want to think of your own? we can help, if you want." You say, looking at him. He grinned even brighter, and you felt your heart melt just a bit. Wow, what a good dog.

"Sure! Sure!"

"Well, you are a dog... maybe something related to that?" Asks a feathery monster with kind eyes. She's drinking an onion soup with some bread. "Uh... dog boy?"

"Dog boy? No way we're gonna name him that." A brown bear rumbles as he moves over to sit next to the dog monster. The table was slowly but surely becoming full, and you wanted to save a seat for your lizard friend. "Maybe Rover? Fido, perhaps?"

"Wow! I like all of these names! How to choose..." the dog kid looked pleased, and he continued to eat through his sandwich while the others decided.

"I like the name Harper for myself! It's nice, don't you think?" The bird monster who had suggested the name 'dog boy' said. The others agreed, and you snicker.