Chapter 5

"Announcing Lord Titus from the House Macanthos, and for the first time, Captain Steven LeRoux and his daughter Kaida LeRoux. Bow before King Tiberius of House Calore, Sixth of his Name, Descendent of Caesar, King of Norta, Flame of the North, Protector of the Disputed Lands, Guardian of the Crown and Crest."

The announcer paused and continued.

"Bow before Queen Elara of House Merandus. Bow before Prince Tiberius of House Calore, Seventh of his Name and King Regent. Bow before Prince Maven of House Calore."

Maven watched as the guests before them fell into deep bows.

He and Cal had decided to shadow their father for the day, watching how he conducted his royal duties.

His mother requested to join too, tired of being kept out of the loop, and tired of being an afterthought.

Maven could relate to that.

His father had been raving about something the Grand Maester said could turn the tides of the War in their favour, and put those 'pesky Lakelanders' back into their place.

Maven looked to the Captain who would be going on this voyage for the King.

He stood tall and proud in a royal blue navy coat, golden war medals decorated his chest, family heir looms.

Then he noticed his daughter, Kaida wasn't it.

She was wearing a high-neck, long sleeved Ruby gown with a boned corset across the midsection, adding some texture to her ensemble.

She had deep brown skin, dark brown eyes and full lips.

Her hair was long and full, the colour almost as black as his own.

At first Maven thought she was a Silver. She looked so sophisticated, how could she not be?

But upon hearing that she belonged to no House and had a common street name, he was puzzled.

He had never seen a Red like her.

He was now officially intrigued.

"Captain, we all know why you've been summoned here today. I just wanted to wish you the best of luck. Do this for me, and for this country, more importantly, and I will bestow on you anything you desire. No matter the red blood that flows in your veins. When you have what I need, bring it straight here. A warning, Captain, you do not want to betray us. It happens. The corruption infiltrates, slips through the gaps and spreads. Especially with those long weeks at sea."

The King's voice carried through the throne room.

"Stray from your designated path..."

The King's hard eyes looked to Kaida with purpose

"And she will be thrown into the arena."

"Oh darling, there is no need for those threats so soon. This man is risking it all for this Kingdom. His daughter will be in our safe hands. He is trusting us with her, we should do the same and show him the same courtesy."

The Captain agreed with the Queen and swore fealty to his duties, his arm beating across his chest.

"Captain, bid your daughter goodbye. And be on your way. Lord Macanthos, escort her to her chambers."

The King ordered, signalling the end of this meeting.

The Captain hugged his daughter tightly, and smoothed back her hair.

Kaida couldn't talk, a lump forming in the back of her throat.

Just like that, he was gone.

Maven looked at her, alone and left to the Silver vultures.