5

Elijah and Melissa arrive at the airport two hours away from where their kids and mom are.

The Hope family updates them with the medical team.

"Some of them got stranded in Singapore, others in Manila." Mr. Hope says. "They'll be here in a few days. Hopefully."

Elijah nods, hearing his friend, but only thinking about his family.

"Don't worry, Elijah. Your family is strong and very blessed. We'll see them soon." Mr. Hope comforts his friend.

Elijah nods but doesn't reply. Losing a father last year was hard. Especially since they couldn't say goodbye, all the worst possible scenarios had entered his head, but he didn't want to tell Melissa. She would only worry more.

Melissa waits for the group to gather their belongings. "I called a friend from here. She's willing to help us get there. They own a van carpool business. She said we could take one and go on ahead. She can help your medical team."

Mrs. Hope relays the information to her team while Melissa helps Elijah load their belongings into the van. Roger helps out, silently praying in his mind.

Ever since they took off, all he could do was pray. Nothing felt better.

Soon, the Hopes and the Guerrez's are on their way to the evacuation site.

"They'll be alright." Mrs. Hope says, trying to be strong for Melissa. She herself was doing all she could to stay positive and have faith. Perla, Sammy, and Lita were like her own children, and she could not imagine what Elijah and Melissa must be feeling.

Arriving at the outskirts of the city makes things worse. The whole place looks so devastated; no one says a word. Words of hope just seemed to be empty against the scene in front of them. They move at a slow pace, the van making noise that seems to erupt the quiet disaster.

A nurse comes to meet them, talking to Mrs. Hope about the medical team's assignments. While the Hopes arrange for that, Elijah and Melissa run out of the van, Roger after them.

"Perla!" Melissa shouts. "Mom? Lita? Samuel?"

Elijah doesn't shout, eyes searching the sea of people.

"Mr. and Mrs. Guerrez. Please, wear your masks." Roger says behind his own mask, panting. He hands them their masks, and they gratefully put them on. In the rush of seeing their family, they forgot about their other enemy at the moment—the virus.

Roger helps them search, eyes looking for her. He sees a tent at the end of the crowd and follows the feeling he has. Elijah looks over and calls for Melissa. They follow Roger.

A tent with an open flap brings the sound of someone singing.

Oh, holy night! The stars are brightly shiningIt is the night of the dear Savior's birth
Long lay the world in sin and error pining
Till He appeared and the soul felt its worth
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn
Fall on your knees! Oh, hear the angel voices
Oh, night divine
Oh, night when Christ was born

Roger steps inside, knowing exactly whose voice was singing. "Perla."

***

I stop singing. That voice. It's his voice. No way.

I gulp, but lola smiles, her eyebrows, eyes, and smile, suggesting that I look behind me. I turn around slowly and see Roger standing there, my parents behind him.

Sammy runs into my father's arms, Lita into my mother's. I catch Roger off guard in a bear hug. "You came," I whisper.

It's been two days since I last tried calling my parents. I did not expect Roger and his family to be here too.