m e r c y

Draco POV
______________

I knew Dumbledore wouldn't leave my incident with Cedric go away. I've been waiting for him to call me to his office, and the time has come.

I'm walking to his office, it's 6pm and my classes have finished an hour ago. The school is  oddly empty, I don't have any idea why. It's cloudy and wet from the morning rain outside, a perfect combination of weather for me. Normally I would be full of energy, but since I'm probably going to be expelled, I don't feel like smiling.

In my mind I'm thinking of any way to get away with it, if I could just think of something...but nothing. There's no way they're gonna let me. I beat a student to almost death, what can I even say?

When I came to his entrance staircase, McGonagall was waiting for me. I grunted and came closer to her so we can hop on the moving stairs. She mumbled a password and we went up like on an escalator.

McGonagall didn't say a single word nor did she even look at me. I'm not surprised, she made it pretty clear she hates me. Every teacher despises me, except Snape.

"Draco, come". Said Dumbledore when we stepped into his office room.

"Professor." I bowed my head and took a quick look around his office.

I've been there many times for different occasions, but it has never looked so...messy. The big bookcases with thousand of books that were always in their place, are now all around the floor and tables, peaces of parchment are laying everywhere I look. A big mess.

I couldn't help but think if it's for the Dark Lord and Death Eaters. Dumbledore must be stressed about it.

"I'm sure you know why you're here, Draco." Said Dumbledore sitting in his chair, looking rather relaxed than serious.

"I know, sir."

"Mister, if you could-" started Snape, but Dumbledore snapped his fingers to shut him up.

"It was Cedric who started the fight and I just got a little carried away." I said.

"Ah-ah, Draco. Do you think I would call you here because of a silly fight? Although three broken bones are very serious injury, but I'm sure madame Pomfrey already took care of Cedric."

"Then why am I here?" I asked, shocked with his response.

"Is there something you want to tell me?"

"Dumble-"

"Let the boy speak, Severus."

I really have no idea what is this about. And why are they all here, I thought it would be just me and Dumbledore.

"No, sir. Nothing." I replied calmly.

"Well then, Draco. Would you care to show us your left forearm?"

I immediately froze. He knows. They know.

I'm going to Azkaban with my parents.

"I-I had no choice..." I stuttered, I couldn't look into his eyes anymore. I saw how disgusted he looks.

"What do you mean?" Asked MsGonagall nervously.

"I-they made me do it, I had no choice! What was I supposed-"

"There's always a choice!" Screamed McGonagall.

"Minerva, please." Calmed her Dumbledore.

My breath got heavy, this is much more serious than I thought it would be. Suddenly, getting expelled for a fight seems to be much more acceptable choice than rotting in Azkaban.

"I hope you know how serious this is, Draco. I was considering calling the Ministry, but Snape persuaded me to talk to you first."

I glanced at Snape who nodded his head at me.

"What are you waiting for, Albus? You must at least expel him!" Screamed McGonagall again.

"Please, don't expel me...I-I have nowhere to go..." I begged, fighting the urge to cry. I can't cry right now.

"Mister, may I have a word with you? Privately." Asked Snape.

"You may."

They went to the back of the room behind a wall to talk. I'm left with McGonagall, who's nerves are about to crack. She's walking around the room and mumbling something I don't clearly understand.

What will happen to me now?

If Snape doesn't do something, I'm fucked. My family is fucked. My mother, my beloved mother who's life was ruined the day she married Lucius. I can't stop thinking about her face when she hears that they got me.

Suddenly, my head started to hurt from all the tension in this room and I had to sit down on the nearest chair I found. I sat down with a painful grunt - my chest still hurts from the fight and my breathing is harder.

"Do you think I've join them willingly? I've never wanted to be like my father! I hate my miserable life, I hate my father and I hate myself for being a Death eater. But if I didn't join, he would kill my mother. My mother!" I said when Dumbledore and Snape came back. I have tears in the corners of my eyes.

McGonagall looked at me, for the first time in my life with pity eyes.

"Draco-"

"You can expel me, but please, don't send me and my mother to Azkaban. She deserves a better life than this, and you know it too, professor Snape."

"Draco..."

"I know you all hate me and can't wait to get me out of this school, but if I leave now, I'll never get a chance to be a better person. Because I...because I think I'm in love with this amazing girl and I...God I just can't leave her right now! I'm trying to be better for her-" I couldn't breathe anymore from all the talking, so I had to take a break.

"Draco, I made my decision." Said Dumbledore calmly.

"You may stay here."

"But-" stuttered Minerva.

"As long as you behave, you're staying here. I believe everyone has a right for a second chance and that's why I'm giving you one. You may go now, Draco. And cover your mark."

I couldn't believe my ears. Dumbledore has mercy for me?

I couldn't say a word, so I just stood up from the chair, came over to him and...

I hugged him.

He was shocked for a moment, but he quickly accepted my hug and tapped me on the shoulder.

"Thank you." I whispered, because it was hard to say something through my tears.

I don't know what happened to me, but I felt like this is the right thing to to for him to truly trust me.

When I released from the hug, I quickly wiped my tears and glanced at Snape, who's looking at me with an unreadable face.

"Go, Draco."

"Thank you, professor Dumbledore." I said and quickly left.

I'm still shocked from what just happened and I can't wait to tell it to Chloé. Except the crying part, of course.

I think being with Chloé is teaching me to be more emotional and...weak, I'd say. Before meeting her, I would never be so kind to anyone.