:: forty-five ::

his sister descended the stairs, hair freshly dyed bright pink. "ta-da." she gave them a spin on the second to last step, using height to her advantage. dream smiled, hopefully now she would stop bothering him about how much she wanted to dye her hair. she pulled off pink, dare he say, even better then karl had.

pink found its way into his life, nestling into the depths of his heart. pink was a nice color, pink was okay.

"do you like it?" his sister spoke from beside him. he squinted at her, lifting a strand of her wet hair.

"eh."

she stomped on his foot, crossing her arms as dream laughed.

"i'm just kidding."

"i'm going to eat all of your birthday cake now." she walked towards the kitchen arms still crossed in front of herself.

dream shook his head with a smile, feeling as his mom pulled him into a hug. "happy birthday my boy." he settled into her warmth, letting his eyes flutter shut. "big boys need things to help them in the big-big world." he nodded into her shoulder. "i want to give you your present now."

she pulled away, grabbing a set of keys from beside the door. "skateboarding can only get you so far." she handed him the keys, holding his hands in hers. "there's a whole world out there for you."

"the car?" dream wasn't sure he was hearing her correctly.

"one for us both." she pointed towards the other set of keys at the door. "you're getting the old one though."

dream remembered sitting in that car with techno, driving to school and talking about nothings in the cool air conditioning of the small car. a lot of things went down in that car, some things he will never speak about again.

"thank you mom." he pressed forward a smile. "i love it."

"oh don't start getting all sappy on me, you've got plenty more partying to be done." she handed him the gift bag and directed him towards the door. dream smirked at the sight of the other boys standing by sapnap's car. he held up the car keys and watched as their faces lit up.

he walked over to his new car, circling the vehicle. he smiled at his mom and his sister who were standing at the front doorway smiling back at the blonde.

"get in already." dream's sister rolled her eyes. she was impatient, it reminded him of someone.

he pulled open the door and slid into the driver seat. letting out a breath, he set the gift bag down behind his chair. he adjusted the seat and the mirrors enjoying how he could personalize them to his liking now.

he turned when he heard someone open the passenger door. "they told me to ride with you?" george held open the door, unsure.

dream patted the seat, "your company will be greatly appreciated." he smiled as the older man sat beside him. he put the keys in the ignition, tucking a specific card into the visor. he's been in this car so many times before, but it was so different now. it was his.

"it's a nice car." george looked around inspecting the interior.

"i know." dream was for once glad his mom never let them eat in the car. it still smelt brand new.

both george and dream jumped when they heard a horn beeping from the other car. they looked over as sapnap gestured to lower the window, dream complied.

"are you ready to go yet, or are you going to keep gushing about your new car?" sapnap smiled.

"lead the way." dream closed the window, following as sapnap rolled out of the driveway. he waved to his mom blowing her a kiss as they slowly drove away from the house.

"you remember that song you played the day you walked me home?" george studied the blonde as he drove. "before the party where we met that girl?"

dream nodded knowing about exactly what day the man was talking about. the day he kissed him on the top of his head. he turned out his window to hide the blush that rose to his face.

"you should put that song on again."

"i don't know which song you mean, but i can put on the playlist we were listening to that day?" dream slid his phone out of his pocket, handing it to george.

"you want me to go through your phone?" george stared at the device in dream's hands.

"well i'm driving, so i was kind of hoping you would."

"oh." george took the phone from his hands. "you haven't changed your wallpaper?"

"no of course not." dream glanced at the man as he stared at the picture.

"you have a password." george tried to hand the phone back to the blonde.

"zero-six-zero-one."

"what does that mean?" george looked up from connecting dream's phone to the car.

"techno's birthday." dream glanced at his eyes in the rearview mirror. "it should be the first playlist on spotify."

dream listening to the sound of the blinker as george searched for the playlist.

"glhf?" george looked back towards dream with a questioning look upon his face.

"good luck, have fun. techno named it for me before i left." the music started playing in the car, george adjusted the volume so it was quieter than their speaking voices. "speaking of techno, we both actually had our fist kiss in this car." dream looked into the rearview mirror, picturing them both young and still close.

"well now you're obligated to tell me about it." george settled their phones into the cup holder between them.

dream chuckled, wanting to avoid the conversations about techno around george. "you know, teenage years are wild."

"that's all you're going to say? c'mon dream." george rolled his eyes, eyes still fluxes upon dream's figure.

"we were taking these girls to the school dance and..." he paused to let out a laugh, remembering the situation they got themselves into. "...and neither of us had kissed anyone before."

if you check the picture at the beginning of this chapter you'll get the spotify code to dream's mentioned playlist (update: if it doesn't work for you, you can just look up "glhf" on spotify it should be the first playlist, you'll know it when you see it!)